PDA

View Full Version : Cushion Covers

Meli
November 29th, 2012, 01:44 AM
The other day I was visiting my parents and realized the cushion covers on their wicker furniture have seen better days. Feeling filled with confidence in my sewing abilities, I offered to make new ones. Dad was thrilled and said that would be a great Christmas present. Upholstery fabric and cushion forms were purchased and templates made. Yesterday, after giving it much thought, and washing and ironing the fabric, I got down to work. I laid the template on the fabric (of which there is a limited amount) and promptly began to cut. Leaving zero seam allowance. AHHHHHHHHHHH! Repositioned the template, traced it, measured out 1/2" and cut. Did a zigzag stitch around the edges. Then I cut the strips that will join the top and bottom of the cushion covers. And gave myself a 1/4" seam allowance. (sigh) At which point I turned everything off and vowed to try again later.

Today at work I took some time between calls to write out step by step instructions to keep myself on track. And then left the instructions on my desk.

apparently making cushion covers is more complicated than making a quilt. It should still be straightforward. We'll see how it goes. Keep your fingers crossed for me! lol

joyrocks
November 29th, 2012, 01:48 AM
This is how I quilt. :)

Meli
November 29th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Me too! lol

This is how I quilt. :)

lilmouse
November 29th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Mistakes lead to creative opportunities...just remember that! Been there and done that...and I wouldn't even attempt that!

bkthomas
November 29th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Awwww......hate when that happens! Hoping it all comes out all right!

Blondie
November 29th, 2012, 08:37 AM

The above is a rule I live by daily. So much so, that it has become an anthem of sorts. No wonder we get along so famously.

Monique
November 29th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Good luck with the cushions.