PDA

View Full Version : Hard day...Sad day

Nursmate2
November 28th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I put my daughter on a plan back to Virginia this morning (she was here for Thanksgiving). It seems harder every time I have to say goodbye to her. I just keep having these bouts of weepiness. I moved west 2 years ago for "love". How do you cope with it if your children are away? Does it ever get easier. I feel like my heart is breaking.

Mimis-quilts
November 28th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I know your pain quite well. I am in Indiana and my son moved to Jacksonville Florida...I always cry when we part ways again. It was especially bad when he came home from Kuwait and I flew down to see him for a couple of days and then had to leave. I sobbed at the airport. I so wish they would move closer, but that's not going to happen. I have found that facebook is a great way to stay in touch and there is also Skype. Do you do either one of those?

auntiemern
November 28th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I thank God every day that I do not have to endure that pain. My DD and DGK's are 5 miles from me, and I see them almost everyday, but have never gone for more than a week without seeing them. My heart goes out to those that aren't as fortunate as I am in this regard.

Patrice
November 28th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I am sorry you are feeling bad. I like Marilyn have three of four with in 5 miles. My husband and I had to move far away for a job when the boys were little. Broke our parents hearts. I would not want to go through that with my kids. Blessing to you. :)

Patrice
November 28th, 2012, 05:30 PM
My sister in law and husband moved to belton a couple years ago. Their kids are in Ky and she misses them and the grandkids. It is hard

quilter.martha
November 28th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I wonder if it gets easier with time. I certainly hope so, as my daughter moved to upstate New York this past June. I miss her terribly, and now that she has a relationship with a young man, she is bringing him home or splitting her time off with his family. I want her for myself! I know, that sounds selfish, doesn't it?

Hang in there and know you are not alone.

Lisapc
November 28th, 2012, 05:55 PM
My hubby's company almost moved to PA from MA when my 8 yr old was a toddler. My parents freaked. Now my daughter's husband almost went to school which meant taking my daughter and granddaughter with him. I quietly freaked. Thankfully they are staying here. They live 20 minutes away and I occasionally go a month without seeing them but we talk on the phone all the time. It does help but is never the same.

Tamara J Liddell
November 28th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I wish I could say it gets easier, but for me it doesn't.
I have 1 daughter n grandson in Colorado and 2 daughters and a granddaughter in Iowa.
Every time I see them or leave I cry like a baby.. for a good hr.. Then I'm good for a while.

SuzyQue
November 28th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I feel your pain. My oldest son and his wife are states away in VA and vow they will always live on the East coast somewhere. She has relatives there.He went away to college and fell in love.....end of the story. My daughter is 3 hours away at college and I miss her, too. I have to find solace in the fact that we raised them to be all they can be and if that takes them away, we must deal with it. I want their happiness so badly and the times apart make us cherish our family vacations and Christmas' together all the more. I just hope when I am old that someone will take me in or move me closer to care for me! We don't facebook, but we do email, write cards, and have very frequent phone calls. The hugs at the airports are always the sweetest things in life!!! I hope that I will always have 2 arms to give and receive those squeezes! I still have one left at home....who knows where he might end up! If they all chose to live somewhat close to each other, my hubby and I might move to be closer to them when the grands start coming. Time will tell! In the meantime, keep the tissues handy, pictures on the fridge door, and keep busy when the sadness begins!

Tanya D
November 28th, 2012, 06:22 PM
My kids are 16 and 12 so they are still at home. My son however is working towards gaining a scholarship to go to college in the States. He plays field lacrosse and most of the schools with lacrosse are on the east coast. We live in Alberta, right above Montana so the east coast is clear across the country.

My biggest worry is that he will get that scholarship, go to school on the east coast and meet a young lady and fall in love. What if she refuses to move to Canada? Sigh...I don't even want to think about it. Even him being so far away at school will be hard for me.

Winniesfriend
November 28th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Oh dear, at the moment all of my 4 children are within 1.5 hours of our home but next year my youngest daughter and her hubby are planning on moving to Queensland which is a long way from here.... I am so not looking forward to her moving away, I know I am going to miss her terribly.

HandsOffItsMine
November 28th, 2012, 06:24 PM
(((Cindy))), I feel for you! We had to move to try to get Don on VA at Trippler and the kids lived in Burbank. It wasn't too bad 'cause there would always be airfare specials at $400 RT. Then in July they move to GA to be with his two sets of family for support when Matt gets sick with his Crohn's. Now airfare is $1800 RT UGH!

It's hard at the airport to say goodbyes, with the phone/Skype/FB/email every day isn't too bad - just when things hurt your child and you can't be there for them...it breaks your heart to pieces.

Have a good cry and then a good Starbuck's treat. You can always come on here and talk to us Moms, we know how you feel.

Huggers, Ruby

lilmouse
November 28th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I didn't cry when I left my daughters Thanksgiving Day, but I didn't want to leave either and she is three hours away but on my income that is too far! Gas is expensive and it's about $40.00 one way.....cheap I know but when you don't have it; it seems like a lot! Sure wish this economy would pick up! Around here it sure hasn't; since the election it has gotten worse and the city is going to shut off a bunch of street lights and the residents are up in arms about it! So, I feel your pain...phone calls and emails help but they are not the same!

Nursmate2
November 28th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Thank you ladies for all your support and kind words today. Her plane has landed and she is safely home. I know as the days pass I will get back to my usual self but can't get over the sadness I feel now. I'm going to get my sweetie to take me for a ride and get that Starbucks's Ruby suggested. It is nice to know I am not alone. I wish everyone a great evening! Again thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.

Cindy

Slokarma
November 28th, 2012, 09:08 PM
NO, it doesn't get easier. I miss both my sons, but the grandkids? I'm getting sad just talking about it.

alliek
November 28th, 2012, 09:33 PM
No, it does not get easier, I wish I could say otherwise. We moved to Virginia from Long Island NY seven years ago to retire in a place that had a lower cost of living. It was near my oldest son and DIL and four GK's . Three months after moving my son gets a new job Four hours away from us which may not seem so far but it is. I left a daughter in Rhode Island who I miss more than I could say and a son and DIl and 2 GK's on Long island. What was I thinking. I think we panicked when the bills from my DH heart by pass started to come in, so we decided to move. It's lovely here, but it is NOT HOME. I also have my 97 year old mom with us so moving again is difficult, but I hope someday I can work it out so we can be close to some family. Hang in there, pray, and remember there are those with no one to miss and no one to miss them. Let us all be thankful for the love of family. God Bless to all

Monique
November 28th, 2012, 09:39 PM
It did not get any easier for me. My son gone for 6 years. He on the west coast, we on this side. I always had a kodak moment at the airport. Now that they are only 4 hours away, I don't have those kodak moments. Until they go far again, but for now I am enjoying these times.

Ginny B
November 28th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I can feel your ache. I have one son in CA and one in GA. I maybe get to see them once a year if things work out. The other two are close by in Brooklyn but it still is sometimes a couple of months between visits with them. For a few years my youngest son worked on a cruise ship and then moved to Australia. When we left the airport after dropping him off when he moved there I sobbed all the way home and then some. In fact, even as I am writing these words I am tearing up and feelikng that pain again. I am so very thankful that he is now living in Georgia. We stay in touch with texting and facebook and we also have a family group set up on Google + where we can talk too. Of course, we do actually call and speak real audible words too. :) I don't have the words to make you feel better or heal your breaking heart but just know that I understand what you are feeling.

Ginny B