PDA

View Full Version : Actually broke a sewing needle

RiverMomm
November 28th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I was hand sewing a binding on my lastest quilt last night (oh, yeah, hand sewing . . . something I said I never do). And I actually broke the needle! I have never broken a needle while hand sewing. To be honest, I thought people who said that must have stepped on the needle or damaged it someway. All I was doing was sewing and suddenly, the end where the eye is located broke into three little pieces.

Guess I am a real quilter now that I have joined the needle breaking club.

auntiemern
November 28th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I have never broke a needle hand sewing, lol. Have bent more than my fair share though.

shannonsaulter
November 28th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I broke one on my machine but as I havent tried hand sewing I can only imagine

Lisapc
November 28th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I have bent many needles hand sewing but never on a quilt. I have never broken one. As long as you didn't get hurt right?

lilmouse
November 28th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I have broken many a needle when I was doing counted cross stitch....and I think I have broken a few with binding too. Now that I am doing the handstitching (primitive with perle cotton) oh yeah, I bend a needle in short order!

madampolo
November 28th, 2012, 07:52 PM
There was a thread on here about changing the needle on your machine, and someone said they hadn't done that in a year. I was thinking maybe I needed to change my needle when it broke. No option then!

Bubby
November 28th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I broke numerous needles when I was a hand quilter. Some of the needles I used were only 1/2 inch long and just couldn't take the tension. Welcome to the club....it's one I would rather not be a member of!

Monique
November 28th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I have bent lots but I don't think I have ever broken one.