PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Greetings

Blondie
November 27th, 2012, 07:36 AM

Happy Tuesday folksies! Yes, it is Tuesday already, it appears to have rained overnite and now I hear we are expecting some more today and tomorrow. It is also cold; but thankfully not as cold as the other evening when it hit 22. I am not ready for the S word yet. All my brave sisters in the north were born with more dominant snow genes than I. I like it, it is fun but heckfire, shoot, y'all. I live in North Carolina where a snow day is here in the morning and gone tonite. Well, most of the time anyway. I need to whisper the word snow because I am hoping for a mild winter.
Speaking of seasons, and oh yes, that is what I am doing, so WAKE UP - do y'all have any regional old chestnuts about the weather - such as how many acorns are on the ground are telling you how much snow to expect or even how LARGE they are will mean how big the snow will be. Or count the foggy mornings in August to determine how many days of snow in the winter, or, how about if you hear thunder in the winter, wtihin 7 days there will be snow - there are so many tales for each season; I am as fascinated by them as I am in accents and dialects.
Just kissed the big man bye bye for the day; now it is time for me to start really moving around.
Y'all be good to yourselves; start it off now with a nice stretch and SMILE!
Blessings, prayers and hugs to all

dwil23
November 27th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Good Morning everyone! Sorry, but this Florida girl knows nothing about snow, except maybe that is is white, cold and doesn't even visit anywhere near here! I do wish I lived somewhere where there are seasons. I LOVE the Fall and would like to experience at least one "snow day" in my life. In Florida we only have two seasons - summer and February 1st. Anyway enjoy what you have!

I started on a JRR quilt last night for someone who is retiring - soon - and managed to make a big mistake. Right, how do you make a mistake on a jelly roll? Well, I decided I didn't want it to be full width (ddidn't want to deal with quilting one that wide), so I cut off 8" from the end of each strip ( worked out all the math), and then, thinking that one stack had not been cut - cut it again. GRRRRRR........ I'm blaming it on the fact that I am now on my 10th day straight of working twelve hours with three more to go, if not eight or more? That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

DCM
November 27th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I love snow and was disappointed that we didn't really have any last year. We used to live where we sometimes got a foot of snow at a time and I loved it. The cold weather is much better for my allergies so I'll enjoy every minute of it. It also makes baking and cooking and quilting a lot more fun. Today's quote of the day is so true!! Have a great day everyone!

aliaslaceygreen
November 27th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Good Morning everyone! Sorry, but this Florida girl knows nothing about snow, except maybe that is is white, cold and doesn't even visit anywhere near here! I do wish I lived somewhere where there are seasons. I LOVE the Fall and would like to experience at least one "snow day" in my life. In Florida we only have two seasons - summer and February 1st. Anyway enjoy what you have!

I started on a JRR quilt last night for someone who is retiring - soon - and managed to make a big mistake. Right, how do you make a mistake on a jelly roll? Well, I decided I didn't want it to be full width (ddidn't want to deal with quilting one that wide), so I cut off 8" from the end of each strip ( worked out all the math), and then, thinking that one stack had not been cut - cut it again. GRRRRRR........ I'm blaming it on the fact that I am now on my 10th day straight of working twelve hours with three more to go, if not eight or more? That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hope everyone has a nice day!
Ruh roh! I bet you could run all those 8 inch pieces together, and add some to the top and some to the bottom!

aliaslaceygreen
November 27th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Good morn...early work day, interrupting my 'weekend'...
I THINK I have all my Christmas SHOPPING done....there is a huge list of "to be mades," but ....
When I get home today, the new couch should be here, and I can start decorating in earnest...but I really need to get the list WRITTEN and out of my head, or I will miss something vital!

Have a great day!

MRoy
November 27th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Good morning! Wooly Worms are supposed to be winter predictors. If the wooly worm is black on the front end, the first part of winter will be hard. If his rear is black, the end of winter will be hard and if he's solid black, look out! ;)
It's a travel day at work today. I hope it's not raining while I'm on the road. Wishing everyone a safe, happy day!

dwil23
November 27th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I thought about that, but wanted to use my cut off pieces for a piano key border for another quilt. How I hope I solved it was to cut two additional strips from the backing fabric and sew the entire 42 width into the mix. This should more than make up for the missing length - just hope I don't regret loosing five inches of the backing fabric later.

Monique
November 27th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Good morning friends. Yesterday morning was a sewing day. I made the coasters I needed and the gift was a big hit last night. We did our gift exchange last night and found out who our secret sister was. It is so fun, we do this throughout the year and then the big reveal at Christmas.

I work this morning. I think this afternoon will be another sewing day. We have not had any additional snow, but I think tomorrow it is going to snow. YUCK!! Oh well, it's winter.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

MayinJerset
November 27th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Good Morning, Snow was predicted but I haven't seen any yet, that's OK with me as nowadays I much prefer the kind that Blondie gets, nice light covering gone by nightfall. I'm with Trish, writing down my Christmas list before hitting the stores, think I'll do Target as they have mobile carts and I can do a lot of shopping and not get tired. Hope to have wreaths on the front door and fence this week.

Sunday I'll be in Brooklyn with my brother Jim, sisters Carol and Patti, and families for our annual family visit to the grave of our parents and youngest brother, Augie. We'll lay a evergreen grave blanket and say prayers for them and other family members. We all go to lunch afterwards and before we leave I give my brother and sisters a fruit bread. With my oven out right now they'll be getting a jars of my California Corn Bread Mix instead and they will have to make their own bread. We all have married children and grandchildren and getting together at Christmas doesn't work any longer so this annual family activity marks the beginning of the Holy Holiday Season for us. Brother Jim is making lunch arrangements this year and he picked the restaurant I chose last year where we had the back room all to ourselves. The kids finished their lunch quickly and got bored while all the adults talked and talked so they marched around the room singing songs and playing and we didn't have to worry about them disturbing the other diners. We also had 4 big strollers with us and that would have been a problem in the regular dining room. Happy to say in each of the strollers were quilts I had made the kids. Wow this was a long post and I didn't even have my coffee yet! May

Lisapc
November 27th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Good mornin'

I sent my 8 yr old to school with a cough, hoping he lasts until after my dentist appointment. No fever, just a cough that he got from the other kids in class. They are passing it around and it is his second turn with it. Then errands and home to call the unemployment office again. Haven't had a check since hurricane Sandy. The system is all messed up and you are only allowed to call 2 days a week based on your SS#. I found out yesterday that I need 7k dollars worth of dental work for 7 teeth and really had planned for 3k. I had a dental surgery 2 yrs ago and they screwed up so I have to go to a different surgeon today at noon.

Once I get home I am sewing while on the phone and making chicken parm for dinner. I just took the breasts out of the freezer. Hubby kept me up late last night so I am tired but extra time with him is always worth it.

I hope everyone has a great day and I hope to post some pictures of completed work later tonight. Quilting is new to me and even though I am happy with my work so far I hope my family is. We will see!

NanaB
November 27th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Good morning, all. It is good to be 'back in the saddle' after the holiday away. I have missed everyone. I have 'quilt bee' today, even though we don't actually quilt. We do handwork, knit, crochet, etc. The main thing is fellowship. AND, we go out to eat. OF COURSE!!! I have a quilt on the table that needs to be addressed. I quilted a couple or three a couple of weeks ago. This one is a bit of a challenge. Don't really like the thread I have for it. We'll see. Have a great day, everyone. HUGS!
PS, I've found that the number of hickory nuts left on the ground relates to the severity of the winter. I'm not a scientist, though!

CrazyMtnLady
November 27th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Good Morning! Been awake since before 6, Gator needed to go out but I went back to bed and laid there under the nice warm covers. It is pretty cold out this morning and frosty. They wood stove is burning good but doesn't seem to want to heat up much, I need to clean out the ashes...(just don't want to let the fire go out to do it).

DH ordered a new internet service yesterday. Verizon is discontinuing our data plan as of Jan. 1st and we don't want to be without internet. Century Link is suppose to be here Thursday to see if we can even get their service being in the boonies as we are. There is a telephone line on our road...just not to our house. I have my fingers crossed that their service will work here.

We are taking a small road trip tomorrow I think and heading over by Joplin to visit a friend of DH's. The guy and his wife has been here before but they are pretty crude (even for me!) I think it was more the racial talk that turned me off. But DH does not want to go all the way there by himself so I will have to go. :( But, the bright side... I get out of the house and I will get to go out to eat. ;)

Don't know what today has in store. Maybe a little sewing. I have been so busy with other things I have not been able to sit and sew. I just hate it when life gets in the way of my pleasure!

Hugs and prayers to all.

meemeecyn
November 27th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Good morning, Friends. It is chilly in NH, but no snow.....YET! We all know it is coming.

I'm hosting our Book Club this week, so today will be dusting away the cobwebs today! One of the Ladies is vegetarian so will either do a a quiche or cheese rice casserole. Homemade Indian pudding for dessert, with of course a dollop of ice cream (Half the fat, though!)

Yesterday I put together a reversible apron. Followed the directions and it came out ok, but now I'll know the changes I have to do to make the pockets match on both sides! Who wears aprons anymore??? I guess I am old fashioned.

Well, better get going. Have a great day and keep on smiling!
Cynthia

SallyO'Sews
November 27th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I've heard the one about the wooly caterpillars, but have no idea what they looked like this year. I'm just glad to live where there really are four seasons. It's a little "spitty" and quite raw here this morning, and the S-word is supposed to start later in the day. Total accumulation less than 2 inches, so nothing to worry about.

Got my dining table all cleaned off and pretty for Thanksgiving, and then last evening had a friend come over to help me make some greeting cards to sell at a bazaar this Saturday, so now I have even more "toys" to clean up! I'm leaving it there to see if I can't make a few more every evening after work. May or may not get any more done, but doing something fun and creative is very relaxing, and it's better for my soul than watching TV!

Have a wonderful Tuesday, everyone!
~ Sally \0/

buckeyequilter
November 27th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Good morning...

Well finally caught up on my work and my co-worker's work...so I can take a break and check the forum.

Woke up to a dusting of snow this morning...I am so not ready for this. I don't care if it snows as long as I don't have to be out in it. Driving 15 miles to work on ice and snow is not fun and the road I take is curvy.

Made an envelope pillow last night....looks really nice but not happy with the fabric I used for the back...it was to be a gift so I guess I'll keep it and get some different fabric or see what I have on hand. For those needing a quick gift.....this was quick, even for me. Here is the video I used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhZnHhbcN-Q

I need to get out this week-end and get some Christmas shopping done or I'm going to have some disappointed kids at Christmas.

Have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs to all.

auntiemern
November 27th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Just a quick pop in to say good morning. DI:'s dad funeral is today so I need to get in gear to get ready. Hugs and blessings to all.

SallyO'Sews
November 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Shirley, I love those envelope pillows; so easy to sew and to remove for cleaning! I made a JRR quilt for my daughter; bought an extra jelly roll to make the binding, and then used the leftover strips to make the fronts of a couple of pillows to go with it. I was mostly just experimenting, since this whole quilting thing is new to me, but they came out pretty cute. One is Log Cabin (well, probably not the way a LC should look, but since DD doesn't quilt, she'll never know! :D) and the other is 3 Dudes. If my other daughter can take pics and load them up for me, I'll post how the whole thing came out.

SuzyQue
November 27th, 2012, 12:47 PM
We always check out the insides of persimmons in the fall .....for weather prediction. There is either a fork or a spoon in the seed. A fork means very cold and a spoon means lots of snow. Both persimmons this fall had spoons. Generally pretty true.....but just fun for us. Off to sew more sleep pants for Christmas gifts. I could have used one of Sandy's dolls yesterday......I just couldn't get the serger to cooperate! I spent the time it would take to make 4 pairs of pants, just rethreading, cleaning, oiling, rethreading, searching for scraps to check it out, rethreading......urgh! It was frustrating, but I think I am past that now and hope to sail through several pairs of pants today.....God willing. Prayers and hugs to all! May we all have a productive day!

Bubby
November 27th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Good Morning,

I'm having a slow day due to staying up too late last night. Around here the oldtimers say to cut a persimmon in half and if the core is hollow we will shovel snow all winter. If we have thunder in the winter we get tornadoes, especially in February.

Have a great day everyone!

shannonsaulter
November 27th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Good Morning!! No old Superstitions here about the snow since we never get any here closest is in our Mountains and even that doesnt last to long..Its my last day off back to work tomorrow..Blah! its chilly this morning and have already gotten laundry in the dryer...now to get motivated to do a bit of shopping and a bit more decorating...Our lil Elf Tiny arrived yesterday and this morning is sitting in my reclaimed window from Ireland..I wish I had known about this lil guy when my kids were smaller but we have fun with it..Does any one else do this with their kids or grandkids?

Hope everyone has a great day!

MayinJerset
November 27th, 2012, 02:57 PM
"Our lil Elf Tiny arrived yesterday and this morning is sitting in my reclaimed window from Ireland..I wish I had known about this lil guy when my kids were smaller but we have fun with it..Does any one else do this with their kids or grandkids? "

Shannon, What's the story about lil Elf Tiny? Inquiring minds want to know? May

lilmouse
November 27th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Morning everyone, how is it going? I am up and almost finished with my first cup of coffee, need more! Working on my red white and blue quilts...finished quilting early this morning and decided I needed some rest before trimming and applying the binding! Didn't think I would be safe with a rotary cutter when I am tired! Watched some more of my class I took on Craftsy with Leah Day, will use fat quarter sandwiches to practice on until I am comfortable and them move on to something else bigger...actually put together my free motion foot which is just like the one on her machine...she has the Horizon and I have the Elna; very similar though there are some differences....for free motion I have to change out my plate; she just has to hit a button! Am anxious to try this but not until my other projects are done....don't know any superstitions regarding the snow but after a mild winter last year I am afraid of what we are going to get this year! Hope everyone has a great day and hugs to all!

shannonsaulter
November 27th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Its the Elf On the shelf..He comes after thanksgiving and goes to Santa each night to report if the kids are good and what secrets they might tell him..They can't touch him or he loses his magic..everyday he shows up in a different spot..heres a link..
http://www.elfontheshelf.com/

Madeforyouinma11
November 27th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Well, it is cold and rainy with a little snow mixed in here today....yuck! I just found out today that I won 1000 quilters cash points! Sooo excited! I came on the forum yesterday while having my coffee and never checked..... Oh we'll, now I just need to find out how to claim them.
So yesterday, after getting off from here, I had so many things planned for my day. I started by putting all of my kitchen and dining room curtains in the wash. Then I proceeded to wash the windows in the dining room. It was going to serve two purposes. 1) clean windows, haha and 2) airing out the house since we have been sick. It was 49 yesterday and very sunny so it was the perfect time. I still have the o,d windows with two storm windows and a screen in each one so no pull outs for me. I washed the windows inside and out and washed the storms, vaccumed everything and got the cobwebs and dust out. I put the storms back in and as I was putting the screen in, SLAM! A storm window came down and caught my two index fingers! I thought they got chopped off that's how much they hurt and bled. Well, fingers still attached, I ran them under cold water and my husband looked at them. My left one had a small cut on both sides but not too bad. My right one had a larger cut. He bandaged them up and had to change the right one a couple of times because it would not stop bleeding. He wanted me to go for stitches....I said NO, so he put a butterfly bandage on it with some blood clot stuff that we have and the bleeding finally stopped. That pretty much put a halt to anything that I had planned for the day.
Today, left one feels good and right one still very tender but it will heal. I need to try and get things done today. Not easy working when you're favoring two index fingers. I don't have time for this...too many things to do and not enough time. Oh we'll, I am thankful that they are still attached and I will deal with it until they heal.
So, with all that said, I am off to see what I can accomplish today. Curtains are going up, but the second window is probably not going to get washed today as it is cold, cold, cold and icky outside. Who knew that cleaning could be so dangerous! Should have gone into the sewing room instead! :)
Well hope everyone has a wonderful day! Be safe! :)

toggpine
November 27th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Yesterday I put together a reversible apron. Followed the directions and it came out ok, but now I'll know the changes I have to do to make the pockets match on both sides! Who wears aprons anymore??? I guess I am old fashioned.

Cynthia

I wear aprons when I'm in the kitchen. I don't intend to be messy, but I always seem to get something on me!
I have some that we got when I used to attend the annual seafood "ChowDown" with my parents. My dad is a retired longshoreman and every June they have a huge party to celebrate the end of Maritime Week. You turn in your ticket and then receive your apron to protect your clothes from your dinner! They have all sorts of seafood from tubs of steamer clams to alder smoked salmon. I stayed away from the octopus salad and other skoogie items like that. Once dinner was over the band would start playing and then we danced until the wee hours. Much fun was had by all. The price of a ticket has gone way beyond my budget these days. I can't justify the price when that amount of $ would buy groceries for two weeks in our house.
I still have the aprons and they come in quite handy! I would really like an apron like grandma used to have. It looked somewhat like a smock and did a better job of covering the upper half of your body. Sadly I am not a svelt as I'd like to be, so some of the trendy apron patterns just aren't going to fit. I may try to design one for my "fuller figure" one of these days. My question is: Who really trusts a skinny cook?

I bumped into a friend on FB and had a nice chat. It's so sad we live so far apart these days. I miss her! Well, I have spent enough time on the computer today! I need to get something productive done!

I'm sure I'll check back later today! Make it a great one!
Hugs, Cathy

quiltingtrish
November 27th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Oh Cil!! Now my fingers are hurting especially right after I read SLAM!
Wooly catepillars here too. They have been very black here this year. Ask me again in April how our winter was. Black means a hard winter. I hope not. If we do get lots of snow, I'll get lots of walking in. I don't drive in the snow and luckily my job is only about 20 minutes by walking. We got about 2 inches this morning - very slippery and icy. There is no way I would have gotten my car up the driveway so I don't even try. Plus, that's a major fear of mine and I do others a favor by staying off the roads.
Hope you all have a great evening. Prayers for Matt and Oscar. I do hope they keep him another night or two also.
Hugs,

Blondie
November 27th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Becki, since I am not the one with the hickory tree, I will have to check out Sissy's backyard. Her mutt loves to EAT the prickly ones.

Good morning, all. It is good to be 'back in the saddle' after the holiday away. I have missed everyone. I have 'quilt bee' today, even though we don't actually quilt. We do handwork, knit, crochet, etc. The main thing is fellowship. AND, we go out to eat. OF COURSE!!! I have a quilt on the table that needs to be addressed. I quilted a couple or three a couple of weeks ago. This one is a bit of a challenge. Don't really like the thread I have for it. We'll see. Have a great day, everyone. HUGS!
PS, I've found that the number of hickory nuts left on the ground relates to the severity of the winter. I'm not a scientist, though!

Sandy Navas
November 27th, 2012, 10:25 PM
We always check out the insides of persimmons in the fall .....for weather prediction. There is either a fork or a spoon in the seed. A fork means very cold and a spoon means lots of snow. Both persimmons this fall had spoons. Generally pretty true.....but just fun for us. Off to sew more sleep pants for Christmas gifts. I could have used one of Sandy's dolls yesterday......I just couldn't get the serger to cooperate! I spent the time it would take to make 4 pairs of pants, just rethreading, cleaning, oiling, rethreading, searching for scraps to check it out, rethreading......urgh! It was frustrating, but I think I am past that now and hope to sail through several pairs of pants today.....God willing. Prayers and hugs to all! May we all have a productive day!

That is what I managed to do all Sunday afternoon - why does the serger have to be so difficult for such a handy tool? Oh, and don't change thread colors . . .

janluna
November 28th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Congratulations on winning the 1000 points Cil!!! As for winter, we watch our dogs. If they grow heavy coats it will be snowy and cold. The people around us watch their cows and horses. If they get a heavy coat we are in for a long, cold, snowy winter. I better go to bed now. Hugs, Jan L.