PDA

View Full Version : Sunset on the Desert

Meli
November 26th, 2012, 08:25 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with quilting. If you wanted to read something about quilting, this post is not for you. What? You're still reading? Brave soul!

On Friday, I got DH to take for a long drive in the desert. I live in the Salt Lake Valley in Utah, which means I can go an hour or two in almost any direction and hit completely different terrain. This time, we went West, past the Great Salt Lake, past the Morton Salt plant, and then turned south, through a lot of rugged hills, sage brush, jack rabbits, Pronghorn antelope, through the Goshute Indian Reservation and past the Dugway Proving Gtpunfd (read "Grounds". the cat was helping me type). Finally, we came to a little hill looking out across the valley as the sun sank slowly and majestically past the horizon. The sun itself was behind the hill, which meant we could watch this spectacular sunset without going blind.

I shot this with my cell phone. I had DH turn off the truck so that we could enjoy the profound, peaceful silence.

This is one of the many reasons why I love living here. I grew up in the South and miss the lush green that is so abundant there, but I wouldn't trade what I have here for anything.

Sunset on the Desert (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151255341358886)

Bubby
November 26th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I lived in the desert for 21 years and loved the sunrises and sunsets...spectacular!! There is a unique and compelling beauty to the desert!

MaryB
November 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Simply stunning Meli. So glad you had that 'phone with you. Thanks for sharing.

Winniesfriend
November 26th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Looks beautiful out there.

CrazyMtnLady
November 26th, 2012, 08:44 PM
DH and I loved the beauty of Utah when we were traveling. I love the sunsets and sunrises here in the Ozarks too, they can be spectacular.

auntiemern
November 26th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Awe inspiring. Almost nothing as beautiful as a spectacular sunset.

bkthomas
November 26th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Beautiful, I should know, huh?

shannonsaulter
November 26th, 2012, 10:29 PM
what a great night shot..sounds like a fun road trip!

Sandy Navas
November 26th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Gorgeous photo!! Thanks for sharing!

lilmouse
November 27th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I miss the sunsets from when I live in Arizona....I also miss the heat lightning that would run from cloud to cloud across the sky...and how when the moon was full it lit up the desert in a ghostly light! (Can you tell I lived where there wasn't any street lights) I still miss that; when I first moved back to Wisconsin I used to feel claustraphobic (sp) because I wasn't used to all the trees anymore! It was kink of funny.....the desert can really hook you!

Lisapc
November 27th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Very beautiful.

Blondie
November 27th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Very very pretty

quilter.martha
November 27th, 2012, 08:34 AM
There is nothing like a desert sunset! We are from Southern California and camped many, many, many times in the desert. Although I love living in New England, there is something about the desert that steals the heart. Thanks so much for sharing.

Monique
November 27th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Very pretty.

MayinJerset
November 27th, 2012, 10:17 AM
So beautiful and peaceful, thanks for sharing, May

SallyO'Sews
November 27th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Oh, this is lovely. Thanks for sharing!

buckeyequilter
November 27th, 2012, 11:06 AM
How beautiful!