PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Weekend

phoots
November 26th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Hello! I just got home from spending this first holiday with my family after the loss of my Mom. I stayed with my Dad, as usual, sleeping on the couch, as usual! My Dad and I get along really well, so spending time with him is fun for me! Thursday my oldest sister and her husband (they live in San Diego) came to my Dad's house and started preping the turkey. I made the mashed potatoes, which I have made in decades, and they came out very well! My younger sister provided green beans, biscuits and napkins. We had a feast and afterward there were 5 different pies to choose from and ice cream! OMG! Most of the conversation was light, but my Dad did talk about the fact that he is going to consult with a lawyer regarding a wrongful death lawsuit against the doctor and hospital.

I stayed with my Dad until midday. I told my Dad that I loved him and that if he ever needed anything, to call me. He said that I should call him if I ever needed anything. He's feeling a little guilty because he and my Mom have been helping my younger sister for years, even though she's working a full time job.

I'm doing better. I'm crocheting more and more. I read an article about a woman who was going through some debilitating depression and she found that crochet helped her a lot. So I crochet. I haven't gone back to my quilting yet, although I've got a lot to do.

I love you all! I hope you all had a happy and safe Thanksgiving!

Pam in Vegas

Jean Sewing Machine
November 26th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Good to hear from you Pam. It sounds like your family made the best of a holiday that could have been brought down by sadness over your mom not being there. I'm sure there were sad moments, but you got through them.

Bubby
November 26th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Pam, I'm glad your family got together for Thanksgiving. The first round of holidays after the loss of a loved one is difficult, but it gets better. It's good you are crocheting and keeping your hands and mind busy. Take care, Barb

Monique
November 26th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Pam it's good to hear from you. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend.

Sandy Navas
November 26th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Pam, not only was this Thanksgiving time for you - it also contributed to your special Healing time. I am so glad you got to spend time with family - missing Mom at the table must have been so difficult, but it is a step forward. Hugs!! You will be quilting again, before you know it. After all, you do have some quilts to make for Dad, right?

CrazyMtnLady
November 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Good to hear you are hanging in there. Any hobby you can do to take your mind off your troubles is a good thing.

lilmouse
November 26th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Pam, it is so good to hear from you...you have been in my thoughts and prayers....will keep you there for awhile...it will get easier and you will always miss your mom; but the pain will start to recede! Glad to hear you are crocheting, anything that will help. The quilting will come when the time is right for you...stay in touch...we miss you!

MayinJerset
November 26th, 2012, 03:36 PM
It was a good weekend for all of you, sharing Thanksgiving and easing the pain a little.

HandsOffItsMine
November 26th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Pam, glad you all had a nice Thanksgiving together. The first few years are the hardest.

Guilt will be there for your Dad and other family members as well. Hang in there.

Between crocheting and your new job, you should be keeping yourself pretty busy.

Huggers, Ruby

bkthomas
November 26th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving and the crochet thing sounds really good for you right now - you will quilt again when you feel like it - and if not then just do whatever your little heart desires! Just because you are not quilting doesn't mean you can't visit with us - haha - we would miss you Dear Friend!