PDA

View Full Version : Black and Blue Friday?

BellasQuilts
November 25th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Why would ANYONE go stand in line for days for a sale of ANYTHING? They fight over stuff at the malls. Have people just lost their marbles?

quilter.martha
November 25th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I don't stand in line for days, hardly even minutes! My only Black Friday shopping was at Joann's. I bought a bolt of Hobbs 80/20 batting: 50% off and then another 25% coupon off that! Too good a price to beat. But I stood in line only about 10-15 minutes. No way am I interested in standing in line longer than that.

toggpine
November 25th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Mom & I went several years ago. We had fun for the most part, but we didn't have a tactical battle plan either. There were several things we wanted in particular, but they weren't the 700 inch TV's for a $1 either. I do have to say that it seems to have gotten crazier over the last few years.
It makes me sad that they are opening the stores on Thanksgiving now. We can't seem to give up a few hours of possible retail time in exchange for some time around the table with family and friends. We claim to love them so much we are willing to battle for some stupid "thing" to give them as a gift, when taking the time and making memories will last so much longer than any other thing they could receive.

lilmouse
November 25th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I avoid all stores like the plague on Black Friday....I also try to avoid them on the weekends or go in later in the day when the crowds have diminished!

RachelMichelle
November 25th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I have gone for the last 4 years atleast and havent seen any fights or major upsets. I think the stories on the news make it seem a whole lot worse than it is in most places. Its always an adventure and we always have fun going.

Sandy Navas
November 25th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Megan went Black Friday shopping and just doesn't quite want to make a clean confession of it - because she knows we'd send out the little guys in the white coats!!

Jess1377
November 25th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I went this year to JoAnns and people were very polite there, although I didnt go to get a machine or accuquilt go either. Those went quick and I saw a lot of people around those areas. I did scurry in to get the mats for the accuquilt though, it was a good price. I got a small bit of fabric and I think I got the correct fusible web for a future attempt at applique I plan on doing at some point or another. The last time I went to do the black friday thing was when I got my accuquilt go machine, but was the only one who went for it at the time. I even got there after the store opened. People were polite then too, but again it was at JoAnns. I would never ever attempt to go to Walmart or the mall or anything crazy like that. I am kind of like Lilmouse above. I hate crowds and tend to avoid them at all possible extent that I can spare.

New York Sue
November 25th, 2012, 11:54 PM
No, no, no. I will not go!
CYBER Monday, on the other hand.... ;)

buckeyequilter
November 26th, 2012, 12:11 AM
If we go out on Black Friday (which we did) it's in the afternoon and by then all the sale stuff is gone and so are the people.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 26th, 2012, 01:28 AM
No Black Friday for me! I just bought a car, no need for big screen TVs now! Just need to be able to make the payments!

Musical_Starling
November 26th, 2012, 06:31 AM
We don't have Black Friday sales here (well, we do, but very minimal compared to the US) but our boxing day sales get a little nuts. I don't go to either of them lol We also have "midnight madness" at the malls for one night in November each year and I avoid that place like the PLAGUE! Wouldn't go even if everything was free lol I keep telling DH, I don't hate people. As a matter of fact, I LOVE everyone! Some I actually love, some I love to avoid, and some I'd love to punch :icon_giggle:

Evilynn
November 26th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Dont have anything similar to Black Friday in Finland and in Germany the closest thing to it is when theres an opening sale of a shop. Some people go nuts then because some prices are just insanely low - people were fighting physically over stuff already which makes such sales so sad imo! :(