PDA

View Full Version : Hey Y'all! Time for a Group Hug!Then pull up a chair, share some coffee - this is gonna be a long one

Blondie
November 25th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Hello folksies!
You have NO IDEA how much I missed YOU. It has been a long and emotional week. My eyes are puffy from all the happy-sad tears,

I don't even know where to start. We left early and stayed longer. I just couldn't leave them. The baby is absolutely adorable. My daughter in law is the quintessential wife and mother - perfect for my son.

My son is as handsome as ever and sitting here typing this I am weepy again. I sure do miss my loved ones who live far away. My biggest gripe is why do they have to grow up and leave? hehehe

The drive up took forever. We made good time until we got in Jersey somewhere (sorry don't remember the name). We sat in a dead stop - in fact, finally turned the motor off - for about 45 minutes. Then it was creep creep creep, inch inch inch along for another 30 minutes. Appears there was an accident involving several vehicles. Scarey to think of at the speeds we all fly on the interstates.

Then once we got through all that, I needed a potty break. Hubs gets off an exit and it took us somewhere we don't even know how. True country bumpkins here. By now it was DARK, in a little town called Glen somthing or other - oh, btw, LOVE the village look in all the small towns up North. Y'all are special - anyway, after not getting LOST, just turned around a bit, we made it back on the road again and the next stall was getting on the Tappen Zee Bridge. For locals reading this, stop laughing. Just roll your eyes are me. It WAS better and easier than whenever we had to take the GW. For those who have never been, It's a long bridge and interesting when it is foggy and people don't use their lights. It is not quite the xanax moment that the GW bridge is.
I took a few pictures but most were taken by dear son Paul. I am waiting for him to send them. Probably will be waiting a while if I know him.
That child has just stole all of our hearts. She is a very happy soul - wakes up happy. Nora is 7 months old now, been crawling for about a month - while we were there she pulled herself all the way up on her own. Wish we had a pic of her face at that moment. She stood holding onto the big footstool with a look that said, What do I do now? She was WILD over my Mom and her Poppa.
32559 32560 32561
It took her awhile to cotton to me. She did come around eventually and slept in my arms a few times. I am more than twitterpated.
We arrived back home late yesterday evening. I slept in until just a bit ago. Don't know what time Luscious got up - he put the Christmas tree up, it is decorated and it sounds like he is raking leaves. I had to pour my own coffee this morning. Gee Whiz, I reckon the honeymoon is over.
I missed y'all, prayed for my dear friends daily. Hoping all my US sissy's had a terrific Thanksgiving. I need to get caught up reading the threads. But first things first - laundry and more sleep.

RiverMomm
November 25th, 2012, 12:51 PM
"he put the Christmas tree up, it is decorated and it sounds like he is raking leaves. I had to pour my own coffee this morning. Gee Whiz, I reckon the honeymoon is over. "

Ok, I actually laughed out loud when I read that!!

Welcome back! We missed you!

pcbatiks
November 25th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Hey Blondie, Glad you're back and had a safe trip! We missed you........sounds like you had wonderful time visiting and playing with Nora! So happy for you!

Shirley
November 25th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Glad you are home safe and sound! Sweet baby :icon_happy:

quilter.martha
November 25th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Sounds like you had a fantastic trip! So glad you got to love that little one, and that your trip was a safe one.

New York Sue
November 25th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Welcome back! Glad you survived the Tappan Zee experience! I'll take the GW anyday over the Tappan Zee...
Baby Nora is adorable! Sure wished they were closer to you. It must of been heart breaking to leave. :(

MRoy
November 25th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Welcome back Blondie! I know how hard it must have been to leave your son, DIL, and Nora and head back home. When my son and grandkids leave after their visit, dang! it's rough. But take comfort knowing we've missed you and we're glad you came back to us safe and sound!

Klasien
November 25th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Welcome back my dear friend, I am so glad that you all had a great time, I have been thinking about you a lot and about meeting Nora for the very first time! I am SO happy all went well!

You sit back now and relax, get your feet up and enjoy the memories!!!

Welcome Home!!!

auntiemern
November 25th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Welcome back Blondie :). We sure have missed you here. But so very, very happy you finally got to spend time with your precious little Nora, and of course her parents. Take some time to recoup, no need to rush into everything. Just close your eyes and savor the moments you had. Life here has gone on pretty much the same. Quilts being finished, new needs for prayers, and several new members. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics. She sure is beautiful. LL and your mom look absolutely smitten.

Lisapc
November 25th, 2012, 02:02 PM
So glad you had such an amazing time. The trip there always takes longer when you really want to get there. That baby is beautiful!

cyndiofthevortex
November 25th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Welcome home, Blondie. I know so many of us here have been thinking about you lots. How cute is Nora! I'm glad you got a chance to love on her in person. And what love! Isn't it amazing?

Madeforyouinma11
November 25th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Welcome home Blondie! We missed you! I'm so glad your trip was a total success. Nora is beautiful! Get some rest and enjoy the day napping and reading. I think you should get a bell so LL can pour your coffee when your cup is empty..LOL

Jean Sewing Machine
November 25th, 2012, 02:51 PM
So glad you got to see baby Nora and let her fall asleep in your loving arms. To me there is no sweeter feeling than a sleeping child in your arms, and especially a sleeping grandchild! My first grandchild was scared of me for about 2 years, it broke my heart! I'd want to hug and love on him, and he just wanted to get away from me! He'd warm up to me just about the time I'd be packing the car to leave for home. Now, I let them all make the first move toward me, including my rather shy great granddaughter. My biggest thrill with her was when we were out somewhere, and she reached up her little hand to mine so I could hold her hand while we walked! Wow, that made it all worthwhile! So glad you shared your wonderful week with us, I was really anxious to hear how everything went! And glad you're back greeting us again! Monique kept us in order by opening up our day for all of us early risers and getting us going!

CrazyMtnLady
November 25th, 2012, 02:59 PM
32563 Sure is nice to have you back. Glad you had such a wonderful time.

shannonsaulter
November 25th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Blondie so glad you had a great time..What a cutie pie I am in love already...I Have been working all week and today is my Friday..tomorrow its off to the post office with my packages to Australia and going to buy stamps and get my Christmas cards out..I hope to get a lil sewing done but also want to get the rest of my Christmas yard decor up..My tree is up and mostly decorated...The weather here hasnt been very Christmas or winter like since it was in the 80's but oh well we can hope for cooler temps...
Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday..(((HUGS))) to all!

Blondie
November 25th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Welcome back! Glad you survived the Tappan Zee experience! I'll take the GW anyday over the Tappan Zee...
Baby Nora is adorable! Sure wished they were closer to you. It must of been heart breaking to leave. :(
Sue, that's because YOU are a local professional driver! hehehe. Last trip we did up there was to an Uncle's home in Yonkers. I nearly swooned over the double decker bridge and cars coming in from all sides. Lawdy Mercy! Y'all are some brave souls from strong stock! Salute!

Blondie
November 25th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Sisters,
Got the laundry washed, hanging on the line - the day is sunny, breezy and quite nippy. I love line dried laundry. Next thing I did was go to my sissy's house. We have been so lonesome for each other. I told her my joy would have been totally complete if she had been able to go with us. Good news while we were gone. My BIL is going to be getting disability! That was really quick! Talk about prayers answered - thank you for those who have been praying with me for them. He applied the end of September and heard this past week that he was qualified. So, it won't be much longer for him to start receiving his monthly stipend. It has been so rough on them financially, and for those of us who have been keeping their power on, water, etc. I am so very happy for them. God is surely good.
Now I am about ready for a nap. I tried to get caught up on the threads and posts - my, what a chatty group we have here! Everyone is sharing their projects, trials, solutions and most of all their hearts. Y'all just don't know how much I missed you. In fact, this morning, in one of my dreams, I had a phone call from someone from the group. It was a person I didn't know - telling me, Now see here sister, you need to turn your computer on NOW. I woke up startled, trying to remember where I was and just who in the heckfire shoot was trying to boss me around. ha!
I did some finishing stitches on Nora's Irish Chain on the drive up. My DIL was thrilled with it. My son, the neurotic one, said, We need to wash it before she gets on it. I looked at him and said, Well, duh uh, it will LOOK better then and btw, you have eaten more dirt off of the floor when you were a baby than could ever be on the quilt. We all laughed at that one. It seems humorous to me that the child who was the biggest slob in my crew has become the OCD clean freak that he is. His kitchen cabinets are immaculate, his fridge is a sterile wonder. Oy. I told him it was a wonder he survived the womb.

More later. Off to find the man. It's been a few hours since I heard him outside; I am off to make some delicious Trader Joes Gingerbread Coffee that my son sent me home with. Oh sisters! I wish you could share it with me. With some cool whip and cinnamon it is almost better than holding Nora.

Ginny B
November 25th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Welcome back Blondie. :icon_wave: We have missed you. So glad that you had such a wonderful time with precious Nora and your son and dil too. Glad you survived the Tappan Zee. That's always an adventure.

Ginny B

HandsOffItsMine
November 25th, 2012, 04:52 PM
OMG Sis, have I missed you! However, the photos of Nora have warmed my heart. She's adorable and I swear I could feel you giving her kisses while you were there!

Glad you guys had a safe trip and so much fun together. You always make me laugh with your stories. :)

Thrilled to hear that BIL will be getting disability benefits, he surely qualifies. That will be relief for the whole family.

Missed you, huggers! Ruby

Patrice
November 25th, 2012, 04:57 PM
You were missed! So happy for you. I loved reading all that. She is just beautiful. I am glad you had a wonderful time. We are truly blessed

New York Sue
November 25th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Sue, that's because YOU are a local professional driver! hehehe. Last trip we did up there was to an Uncle's home in Yonkers. I nearly swooned over the double decker bridge and cars coming in from all sides. Lawdy Mercy! Y'all are some brave souls from strong stock! Salute!
It's all about the thrill of the merge! Is it six lanes merging down to two or three in high density traffic? Used to HATE it, but decided I had to act like a New Yorker. Now I get a genuine kick out of it!

MayinJerset
November 25th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Hey Blondie, Good to see your smiling face here again and that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving loving your little Nora and the rest of the family. Good news about your BIL too. Rest up and we'll be looking for your early morning greetings tomorrow.
May

PS: We're orginailly New Yorkers and we'd take the Tappen Zee any day over the GW. We take the TZee on our frequent trips to Mass. Once in awhile for some unknown reason DH takes GWB but then he complains about the heavy traffic as it takes such a long time to get onto the actual bridge.

Gayle8675309
November 25th, 2012, 05:47 PM
So glad that you are back with us safe and sound. It sounds like you are a besotted gramma...and I can tell why...she is an adorable baby!

Gayle

meemeecyn
November 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Welcome home, Blondie.....to NC and The Forum. We missed you and are so glad you had a good trip. Nora is such a sweetie. Tell me again where you actually drove to???? The Tappanzee can be brutal, but it sure is pretty going over the bridge....especially at night with all the lights.

Sit back and relax before you start in on anything new. Take care our very special Quilting Sista!
Cynthia

Carol_Ann
November 25th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I've been waiting to hear you have returned from your visit with your granddaughter, Nora.
Blondie, she is gorgeous! What did she make of the taggie?
Your mom & Larry look terrific too. Been praying for your BIL ... happy for the outcome.
So thrilled to see you writing to us all once again. hugs, Carol Ann

Claire Hallman
November 25th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I am glad you are back but oh so glad you had time with your beautiful grand daughter. I didn't know your Mom was going, too, how very special the week must have been.

Monique
November 25th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Hey Blondie, WELCOME BACK! I had no doubt in my mind what a wonderful time you would have with Nora and the rest of the crew and also how hard it would be to leave. Glad you got this time with them.

xoxoxoxo

nana margaret
November 25th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Perfect and precious. You have a beautiful grandaughter.

bkthomas
November 25th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Yippy Skippy!!!! (that's for SandyN) Blondie is back!!! Glad to see I got through to you in your dreams! (You don't really know me)
What a cutie pie DGD!!!!

BellasQuilts
November 25th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Blondie!!!! So glad you are back. First I love the name Nora - it's beautiful. She definitely fits her name. So glad you got to see her and the kids. I'm sure it was just awful having to leave them. Sending you a big Howdy Doo Welcome Back Hug!

Sandy Navas
November 25th, 2012, 08:47 PM
That Blondie sure does lover her coffee. Can you believe she typed this?

With some cool whip and cinnamon it is almost better than holding Nora.

Blondie - I had Pumpkin Pie Liquor in my coffee this morning! YUM!!

aliaslaceygreen
November 25th, 2012, 08:48 PM
ALWAYS the Tappen-Zee!! Because if you take the GWB you have to get on the Cross Bronx, and HELL to the no!!! Ah, memories... do you know the cool thing about the TZ? That it has more lanes going east in the morning and more lanes going west in the afternoon? Those Jersey barriers actually MOVE ...

Anyway... OMG...she is just too precious....beautiful and HOW did she become 7 months old already??? she was JUST born!! Wow... I am so glad you had a wonderful trip! Look forward to many more photos....it's great to have you back!

aliaslaceygreen
November 25th, 2012, 08:53 PM
It's all about the thrill of the merge! Is it six lanes merging down to two or three in high density traffic? Used to HATE it, but decided I had to act like a New Yorker. Now I get a genuine kick out of it!
Lol...and all in 1/10 mile between exits.... I don't really MIND that part...it's just the CBEx awful!!!

New York Sue
November 25th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Trish and May, 9 times out of 10, I'm taking the first right onto the Henry Hudson parkway heading to the Theater District...
The length of the Tappan Zee is a bit much for me. I can sure understand how an 'outsider' would be traumatized. The traffic volume, especially at 'rush hour' is daunting. Thankfully, I only go in a couple of times a year, if that!

Sandy Navas
November 25th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Having lived on Long Island, and later upstate New York, having a daughter who attended New York Military Academy, I have often crossed the TZ. Can't say I enjoy it - I have an uncanny dislike (can't quite label it a fear) of bridges - any shape or form. And driving around on the water doesn't bode well with me.

lilmouse
November 25th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Blondie, so glad you are back and had a wonderful time! I spent the week with my daughter...drove up Monday night after work...(that was a challenge as I was beat and everything was starting to cramp up); a three hour drive in light traffick, came back on Thursday after dinner...had to leave earlier than I had planned due to deer hunting season...they seem to have a problem with DUI and hunters as well as deer crossing at dusk! So I left early and it is always a wrench to leave...you want to stay just a little longer.....made another COC quilt, have two more blocks to handstitch and then bind it and I will mail it to you.....this one I added sashing to! It made it quite a bit larger and I am happy with that! Other than that nothing new around here.....sure did miss you though! Hugs, Susie By the way....love the pics with your Mom and LL; Nora is adorable and can see how tickled you would be holding her as she slept...nothing like it....and am also glad you BIL is getting his disability!

Winniesfriend
November 25th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Welcome back, glad you had a great time.

buckeyequilter
November 26th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Welcome back! Nora is so sweet and I can't believe she's 7 months old already. Looking forward to see more photos.

Bubby
November 26th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Welcome Home!

Musical_Starling
November 26th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I complain about St. John's traffic most days, so I am NEVER driving in, near, or around New York lol And anyone who's been to St. John's from an actual "city" will know what I'm talking about because the traffic here is lame compared to a normal city. We have the population for a city, but not quite the attitude lol

I'm so glad to hear you had a good trip and you got to see that precious little girl!! It's hard having family so far away, even when you're the kids, but the visits are so much more meaningful and special (at least to me). Can I borrow LL so he can put up my tree and decorate it? lol I love decorating the tree, but putting the darn thing together (I have an artificial tree) is more than I can take sometimes. Having to rearrange each branch after it got smushed from being in the box, and then getting scratched the whole time, then having to undo it all and stuff it back in that stupid box almost ALMOST makes me want a real tree. Then I remember the mess from a real tree and the bending and stuffing doesn't seem so bad lol

On a side note: Whenever you type "Luscious", in my head I read "Lucius", as in Lucius Malfoy. Too much Harry Potter methinks lol

Lenie
November 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM
That is a great story about your trip, Blondie. Good to have you back here, and thanks for showing us these lovely pictures. Nora is THE sweetest thing!

GrammaBabs
November 26th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Blondie... thank your for the woderful update and adorable pictures of Nora... my fav... the one with the hands out... to the sides... this girl is a beauty... looks very much like my "Debby Lee" when she was that age... so happy for you,,, can't wait to see the pics you get from your son,,,(ps i relate to having to wait a bit for stuff like that),,,, but hey,,, they do have jobs ya' know!!! LOL

GrammaBabs
November 26th, 2012, 05:23 PM
oh,, speaking of THAT... has anyone ever had a "Gingerbread Martini".... OMG.... my GF's SIL has a wonderful open house every year at Christmas time... appts galore(beef,shrimp,scallops.. dips etc..... the dining room table is a "dessert scape" ... lifts and levels.. of cakes cookies etc... but the best part is a Martini glass, rim dipped in sugar and ginger/cinn. mixture. with a martini made with Ginger liquer... WOW... do die for... :icon_razz:
That Blondie sure does lover her coffee. Can you believe she typed this?

Blondie - I had Pumpkin Pie Liquor in my coffee this morning! YUM!!

alliek
November 26th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I know exactly what you went through when traveling up north. That GW Bridge is a winner as well as the NJ Turnpike. I was born and raised up there and miss it still, traffic or not. You brought tears to my eyes when I read how much you missed your kids,grandkids etc. My DD left today from Raleigh Airport to Providence R.I and I miss her so much. I laughed when I read about your DH. Mine makes the coffee every day,pours it for me when I wake and will make me breakfast most mornings. Wonderful things. I take nothing for granted. Your Nora is a little love, God Bless you all.

SallyO'Sews
November 27th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Don't know what time Luscious got up - he put the Christmas tree up, it is decorated and it sounds like he is raking leaves. I had to pour my own coffee this morning. Gee Whiz, I reckon the honeymoon is over.
hahahaha!!! That is hilarious. I love it! So glad you got to see your little bundle of joy. My father-in-love used to say he couldn't imagine why folks would live far from their grandchildren, if they had a choice. I know you're going to be sending her lots of "Grandma-made-it"s through the years!