PDA

View Full Version : BLACK FRIDAY

Monique
November 23rd, 2012, 08:02 AM

I don't know how many of you will be out shopping today but please stay safe. I hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday with family and friends.

I had my flu shot yesterday and hubs and I put up the Christmas lights at his mom's and did a few more little odd jobs that needed to be done. Not much else got done yesterday. Today I am going to big city with a friend. Need some batting and some fabric. I know that is hard to believe that I would need fabric. I am going to look for Minkee which the lady at the store when I called, told me it was the same as ribbed chenille. I will wait and see. They have a 50% member's sale going on, so I may get a few deals.

I have to work tomorrow morning until noon. Then hubs and I and our friends are in a dart tournament. I have never really played darts before. Should be interesting. I also got a call yesterday for a few more hours of work at another post office. So that is good. Could use all the extra cash at this time of year. I did buy a few more Christmas gifts yesterday as well.

Well that is about it for my day today. Everyone have a grand day, whatever you do. I know Blondie must be in 7th heaven by now and will find it hard to go back home and leave little Nora. I am not sure when she returns and can't wait to HEAR ALL ABOUT IT!!!!

Bubby
November 23rd, 2012, 08:54 AM
Good Morning,

Our Thanksgiving was quiet and the food was good. I didn't fuss too much and kept everything simple. Last night after dinner we had a whopper of a thunderstorm and the power went off for about three hours. The lightning was terrible. Molly was scared so we put her on our bed and we all took a nap...perfect after that huge meal. When we woke up the power was back on.

DH and Molly and I are leaving in a minute to go to our apartments. We have a unit being inspected this morning...wish us luck. It looks perfect to us, but who knows! A disabled woman and her son want to move in and that requires a thorough inspection inside and out. They will even go into the attic and check the wiring...!

Today is Black Friday. We don't do much shopping...we send $$ to my grandkids and DH and I do very little for each other because we get what we want when we want it. We will try to put the tree up this weekend. We do a wildlife tree in the TV room. I used to put up two trees because we have so many ornaments but I quit doing that a couple years ago. I love putting up the trees, but I don't enjoy taking them down and packing everything up.

It's time for us to leave...we have a long drive. Have an enjoyable Black Friday everyone....Hugs, Barb

Koda
November 23rd, 2012, 09:50 AM
Black Friday has spread to Canada and I expect the stores will be very busy. I have always appreciated the non commercial side of every holiday and feel for those who add stress to their lives with the madness some of these sales events bring.

Namaste,
Koda

MayinJerset
November 23rd, 2012, 10:31 AM
No Black Friday shopping for me, don't need anything that badly. I don't like to rush my Christmas shopping, I think about gifts for awhile, make a list to try to get as many as I can in one trip to Kohl's or other store. Main gifts for our 3 son's and their families is MEAT - a box of filet migon steaks delivered to their home in the beginning of December. Grandkids are 12 - 30 so 4 oldest are getting fresh evergreen wreaths for their front doors and younger ones gift cards. Everyone gets a little personal gift with their main gift. DS Pat and wife MJ are getting matching mugs with a batch of my biscotti for each of them so they don't fight over them, certainly not gifts I could get at a Black Friday sale.

Time to start getting ready, 32480May in Jersey.

Sew Perfect
November 23rd, 2012, 10:43 AM
Not me either. I never go. I like to shop with my daughter the day after Christmas though. We make a mother daughter day of it and have since she was 16. Other than that, I make gifts for people.

CrazyMtnLady
November 23rd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Good Morning. Staying on my mountain today! No way you could get me in a store. I use to work in retail years ago and I know crazy when I see it and it would be pure craziness to face those crowds.

Had a nice day yesterday. The food was great EXCEPT for the pumpkin pie. I had an off brand of pumpkin and it was just plain unedible! But the whipped cream was good.
Black Friday for me has always been.....CLEAN THE KITCHEN DAY! All the dishes were rinsed yesterday and then I am told I HAVE to sit and watch movies. We usually start with Miracle on 34th Street and then watch the 3 Santa Claus movies with Tim Allen and end with It's a Wonderful Life. But we got started late and only watched the Santa Claus movies. I fell asleep watching the last one. :) I have always loved the tradition of watching Christmas movies on Thanksgiving evening..just gets the holiday season started.

I think DH is proud of my quilts although he doesn't say a lot to me. Our friend that was here for Thanksgiving Dinner has a 2 year old Autistic Grandson and I was showing Ray the quilts I made and DH said I should GIVE him one for his GS so I am giving him the very brightly colored Smiley Face quilt ( I know Autistic children like bright colors). DH said he will get me more material to make another one to sell. :)

My thoughts and prayers are with Matt this morning as he goes to surgery.

Have a great day...be safe. Hugs and prayers to all.

buckeyequilter
November 23rd, 2012, 11:22 AM
Good morning....

I was asking the grandkids for some ideas for Christmas, yesterday. I went shopping at Amazon and Outback Toys last night - no crowds, no waiting in line.....easy, easy, easy.

I don't do the black Friday shopping either - nothing I need or want that would make me go out in that. It's a big day for my DIL - she loves black Friday. I did go out in the afternoon once and the stores were almost empty, probably everyone was home sleeping. I do have to go to the cable office - the cable box in my sewing room went completely out. The rest of the day will be spent in my sewing room.

I need to get the box packed and ready to mail for my SS buddy. I hope she likes it.

Well need to get dressed and get my day going. Have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs to all.

Ginny B
November 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
No Black Friday shopping for me either. Don't need to deal with those crowds. I would rather stay home, relax and make the Christmas lists today. We may do some online shopping and start our Christmas cards too. I will put out one little tree that I have since I was 2 yrs. old. It's tradition that I put that tree up the day after Thanksgiving. It is also the last decoration to go away (with the exception of my snowmen decorations which stay out until around February).

Have a happy Friday everyone.

Ginny B

quiltingtrish
November 23rd, 2012, 12:54 PM
I'll be home today too - prayers for those heading out to shop or to see family. I don't like shopping (unless it's in a quilty type store) and would never go on a day like today. I will be cutting fabric today, need to cut out for the zip bags for gifts. The boys here will probably be getting gift cards for eating out somewhere and depending on what Katie's plans are about moving out, I'll probably be packing up some sort of first aid kit (large one) and tool kit for when they move. Can always use that stuff.
Oh, she brought in a beautiful little dark gray kitten last night - told her that it goes with her when she moves. Love cats to death and still have 2, but when these 2 go, I am done. Also told her that SHE pays for getting her fixed when the time comes.
Well, better scoot. I need to get in the sewing room today - make my time off from school worth every minute.
Hugs!!

Cathy F
November 23rd, 2012, 01:17 PM
I spent a lovely Thanksgiving day with my family, don't get to spend as much time with my sister as I would like as she lives about 4 1/2 hours away, so I really enjoyed having her here overnight. We got to spend a little time in my sewing room this morning before she had to leave.

No stores for me today I don't like fighting the crowds. Most of my shopping is done online or gift cards. Personally speaking I hate the stores opening on Thanksgiving evening to get an early start on the sales.

Sandy Navas
November 23rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Guess who went shopping this morning? ME . . . but definitely NOT the notorious BLACK FRIDAY stuff. A friend of mine does estate sales and moving sales and had one scheduled today at a Bed and Breakfast that is closing it's doors. They had lots and lots of linens and I went looking for sheets for the backs of the CofC quilts. Found some lovely twin-sized sets with beautiful pink roses - and one flat full-size white sheet. The other sets were, I felt, way too much at $9 a set. HOWEVER, knowing my friend the prices will be reduced on Sunday and I'll venture back and see if there's anything left. If it just wasn't the Christmas season.

You would not believe this place - I was told they finally sold it for $149,000 empty - but they were asking $249,000 completely furnished. You know, if I had known about it, was about 20 years younger, and didn't still have 4 years to pay on a mortgage I would have grabbed it up in a second. It is an old Victorian home and was filled to the brim with antiques. I fell in love the moment I parked in front of it. And I was totally blown away once I walked inside. I also talked to my friend briefly and think there is a very strong chance that I can start working with her on some of her future sales.

Came home and finished cleaning up the rest of the dishes and serving pieces from yesterday, set the oven to clean (hate that smell), and think I'll spend the rest of the day sewing . . . so, 'til then.

Great to hear that everyone has had a wonderful holiday with friends and family. Hugs to all, warm wishes and best dishes!!

lilmouse
November 23rd, 2012, 02:12 PM
Morning Everyone, glad to hear everyone had a good holiday! I am sure Blondie is in 7th heaven and will hate to leave...sure do miss her though! I also miss some of our other missing members! NO Black Friday shopping for me either! Couldn't pay me to go to a store today! No way, No how! I use to work retail and you had better not be in the way of the doors when they unlocked them because it was a stampede! I am not much for crowds either anymore. Not much going on here today....going to have a quiet day until I have to go to work. Everyone have a good day and will hold everyone in prayer and sending out hugs!

shannonsaulter
November 23rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
No shopping for me today..Unless its online...put my tree up no ornaments on it yet but soon..
Have to work today so more decorating on Monday..
Have a great day everyone..

toggpine
November 23rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
The only shopping done here today is for cold medicine. Em has come down with a nice one. I had enough mucinex to get her through yesterday. So Daddy has boldly ventured forth to pick her up some more. He said the parking lot was pretty good and the store wasn't that crowded. Not that I expect a lot of people fighting over cold medicine!
We had a nice visit with family. We really ought to do that more often than just the big holidays. We are lucky, our family actually gets along!
I hope to being the sewing room all day, but with a sicky, we'll see how that goes.

You all have a great day!
Hugs, Cathy

Nursmate2
November 23rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
Good afternoon all....My daughter and I went black Friday shopping but don't do the midnight madness stuff. We went to bed early and got up to hit the opening early stores. We got her some great deals at JCP this morning. She has her first real big girl job out of college :) We also hit our jumbo thrift shop that had 1/2 off everything for black friday. Ended up at the sewing and quilting store that was having a blow out demo sale. I did bring home a new/demo sewing machine. I have some work to do this afternoon but plan to set her up this evening.

Cindy

auntiemern
November 23rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
Had a great, but exhausting day yesterday. Slept til noon today. No Black Friday craziness for me either. DD is BF fanatic, and plots out her course after going through all the ads. I look at the ads, tell her what I want her to try to get, no big deal if she doesn't, and give her the money. After about the 5th call from her around 10PM, I told her she better not call me after 11, lol. She did however call at 8:30 this AM to ask me about something she found at Old Navy. I promptly went back to sleep. Apparently my body needed lots of rest. Gonna try to get sisters tree skirt finished today, but still feel very worn out. I also need to get started on DGK's quilts they are getting for Christmas. Wishing all a blessed and stress free day. Hugs all around, and prayers for those in need.

bakermom
November 23rd, 2012, 06:07 PM
DD and I went out about noon to joanns. Place was still crazy but we snagged a good amount of flannel. Everyone was cheerful and helpful, so other than having to stand in line at the cutting table it was a breeze. Someone was kind enough to offer me their number because they had been given a lower one, so I passed mine on to someone else with a higher number. by the time we got to checkout the lines were pretty much gone and i still got the 25% off coupon even though it was afternoon.

I did 90% of my Christmas shopping with one click thursday morning. with free shipping it was worth it. Just a few add-ons to pick up now.

aliaslaceygreen
November 23rd, 2012, 07:33 PM
Back from Black Friday WORKING. (and Thanksgiving evening too--worked 330-730 last night, and 630 am til 3 today)...but I know from 21 years experience, it is tomorrow that will kill me...and I will have to go back again for more on Sunday! It was relatively sane today--don't think I was ever greeted so lavishly as this morning when I walked in...but, then again, I had my annual breakfast casserole and coffee and those who were there even earlier were waiting on me for their breaks!

I haven't read anything on the forum in days, but did see that Mr Daisy is on the other side of things and that is GREAT news....
I just posted a little tutorial on a Christmas tree pin on my blog, if you want to try it!

Take care!

pcbatiks
November 23rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hello to all my forum friends! I don't do Black Friday frenzy shopping either. Last year I went & met 2 friends for lunch that are hard core Black Friday shoppers.......we had a nice lunch & then I decided to walk through the mall with them......the crowd wasn't bad at all during that time of day! Skip ahead a year to today........I went & met them for lunch today.....decided to check on something at Kohl's before we ate.....OMG the line at both checkout areas had about 100 people in line. I decided I didn't need anything that bad! After I had lunch with my friends.....they were getting back to their shopping quest & I decided to drive across the street to the quilt shop......not to bad........but I got there & the store was closed. So I'm sitting at the edge of the parking lot waiting to pull out....traffic everywhere & the "people" behind me honk at me to hurry up.......I muttered some pleasantries under my breath & was waiting to pull out when the car behind me pulls around me & pulls out on the street right in front of me. I honked at them & they waved at me....only it wasn't a whole handed wave accompanied with a smile like normal people do.......it was more of a one fingered wave. I don't wave like that....... but I'm pretty sure they were not wishing me a nice day!! :D I decided I didn't need the frustration & came home to relax!

aliaslaceygreen
November 23rd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Sounds like you made the best decision, Pam! A nap definitely occurred here, but now I have to really look over my lists and check them twice and make sure I remember everything I have to do!! As President Bartlett always says, "break's over!"

RachelMichelle
November 23rd, 2012, 10:18 PM
Looks like Im one of the only one who participated in Black Friday. I live in a small town in Kansas so its not super crazy but it was still packed in Wally World. I stood in line for a tv for about an hour and a half, not bad at all since I have spent the night a couple times in Wal Mart for other things. I usually go with my mom and a good friend from work but they didnt go this year, so it was just the boyfriend and myself. We were out of Wal Mart by 10:20 and went to McDonlads to get some food. We were starving! Then we sat in the car and waited until midnight when Game Stop opened for a game that he wanted for his birthday/our anniversary on Sunday. Its always an adventure but its a tradition now so it would feel wired not going. I was home and sleeping like a baby by 1.

MRoy
November 23rd, 2012, 10:41 PM
The only Black Friday shopping I did was to order a couple of sale items on the Joann's website. It gotten colder here today. I got the last of the leaves off the yard this morning while it was warmer so that's done for another year! Spent the afternoon cutting out and sewing bowtie blocks. The light bulb on my sewing machine burned out yesterday so it's a little hard sewing until I get a new bulb.

alliek
November 23rd, 2012, 11:35 PM
No Black Friday shopping for me! EVER! People are crazy and the really big deals are so limited in supplies only a few people ever get them. As if Black Friday is not bad enough, now we also have what is beginning to be called "Black Thursday". Stores are running sales and are open on Thanksgiving day. I hope financially it is a bust for them, the people who staff these stores,have to work or risk losing their jobs. It is a terrible thing to choose between family and livelihood on a national day of gratitude. Shame on anyone who partakes in Thursday sales.

aliaslaceygreen
November 23rd, 2012, 11:58 PM
No Black Friday shopping for me! EVER! People are crazy and the really big deals are so limited in supplies only a few people ever get them. As if Black Friday is not bad enough, now we also have what is beginning to be called "Black Thursday". Stores are running sales and are open on Thanksgiving day. I hope financially it is a bust for them, the people who staff these stores,have to work or risk losing their jobs. It is a terrible thing to choose between family and livelihood on a national day of gratitude. Shame on anyone who partakes in Thursday sales.

AMEN!!!
I had to work right in the middle of the day, and have to work thru the weekend... no 4 day weekend for me! I really wish we would do worse but it seems that we do MORE each year... although we missed our store goal yesterday by a small bit, my part increased from last year, and we did again today...which means that despite all the non retail people posting how we shouldn't shop on Thanksgiving or Black Friday, there are a LOT more people who are do as I say, not as I do folk....
The line for Kmart blocked our store...they had some weird sched yesterday ....we had to put a 'bouncer' at our door so our customers could cut thru the Kmart line, which ran down most of the shopping plaza! WHAT could they possibly be giving away? They are IN my plaza, where I work 40 hours a week and I can't tel you the last time I even went IN there!!!

HdWench
November 24th, 2012, 01:52 AM
No Black Friday shopping for me either -- and since it is me and hubby (and our 4 precious cats now), not many dishes from yesterday, and the fake tree with lights and handmade ornaments awaits it's trash bag cover to come in lol!

I will try to get to a small Joann's tomorrow, but ONLY because I do not own any grey fabric (or limey, aqua or turquoise and little white with black)... ok mostly none of the fabrics for the Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt. If I knew more about quilting, maybe I would feel more confident about choosing from the thousands of yards IN my house, but I don't yet... so to J's I go at 7 am. That means I'll stay up all night cuz I can't go to sleep and ever get up that early hahaha

Hope everyone is full, warm and back from their visiting or shopping

alliek
November 25th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Oh alias I don't know what people need so desperately either! Today (saturday) The saleslady in Belk's said people poured into the woman's dept on Thursday evening as if they were giving away some wonderful item. She said their dept had sales but people were actually "galloping" to get to the dept!!! She also had to work 15 hour day on the weekend, Lord help us all!:icon_neutral:

Madeforyouinma11
November 25th, 2012, 01:41 AM
Had a great day Thursday..good food and a wonderful family and friends to share it with. Went to bed pretty late and slept til about 11 on Friday. I did not go into the craziness of Black Friday but I did go to Joann's as I needed flannel for two quilts I am making for Christmas. They had a great deal so I snagged some of that right up. Had the kids over again on Friday night for leftovers and more games so it was another late night. I did get up early to get back to Joann's for some fleece for two more blankets for Christmas. They had an amazing deal on that. Hubby bought me an early Christmas gift....so excited and can't wait to use them....they had 14x14 and an 8x8 rotating mats for 60% off plus another 25% before noon coupon! I got both of them for about $12!!!!!! That was definitely a deal I could not pass up.
After that I came home and made some turkey soup, took a nap and did nothing much of anything. I did cut out two dog paw stockings for an order I have. Tomorrow is sewing allllllllll day!
I hope everyone has a great night!