PDA

View Full Version : IT HAS ARRIVED!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Monique
November 22nd, 2012, 08:33 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all my family in the good old US of A. Have a wonderful day, and travel safely if you are going somewhere. Hubby is excited because of all the football on today.

I had a great day at work yesterday. I had lunch with my good friend as I usually do on days that I work. I was no feeling so good again by night time yesterday. I am sure I had razor blades in my throat and a hammer hitting my head. I have been up since about 5. I have a flu shot today and then hubs and I will put up MIL's Christmas lights. I will see how I feel this afternoon, I may go to the clinic. I think I may have a sinus infection.

There are a lot of things to be thankful for and I will tell you what the most important ones to me are.

I am thankful for family. I have raised two wonderful young men and they in turn have given me two wonderful daughter-in-laws. I am blessed with grandchildren. I have a great husband.

I am thankful for friends. MSQC falls in this category, of course, for without them, this would not be possible. I have never before felt so accepted and loved from so many people. I love you all.

I am thankful for good health. I am a cancer survivor.

These are only a few of the things I am thankful for.

Have a WONDERFUL day.

bkthomas
November 22nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
Monique, How sweet of you to honor an American Tradition!
I know how you feel about all the great people here on the forum, I feel the same way!
Hope you're feeling better soon!

quilter.martha
November 22nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! We have the giblets on the stove making broth for my stuffing and gravy and in a little while we'll get the bird stuffed and in the oven. We have 17 sitting down at our table this year! I have 17 chairs so its good no more are coming :)

I am thankful for many thing: family, friends, and all the blessings God has given us that we just take for granted--a house to keep warm in, my health, a beautiful blue sky and a fire red sunset at night. God is the giver of all gifts, so I pray we all today can forget the craziness and busyness and focus on WHO we are thankful to, and then WHAT he has done for us.

Have a blessed day everyone.

Monique
November 22nd, 2012, 09:34 AM
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! We have the giblets on the stove making broth for my stuffing and gravy and in a little while we'll get the bird stuffed and in the oven. We have 17 sitting down at our table this year! I have 17 chairs so its good no more are coming :)

I am thankful for many thing: family, friends, and all the blessings God has given us that we just take for granted--a house to keep warm in, my health, a beautiful blue sky and a fire red sunset at night. God is the giver of all gifts, so I pray we all today can forget the craziness and busyness and focus on WHO we are thankful to, and then WHAT he has done for us.

Have a blessed day everyone.

Well said Martha.

CrazyMtnLady
November 22nd, 2012, 09:35 AM
32429 I am so thankful for all of my quilting friends here. You bring me joy every day. M*QC is the best.

I made my pie yesterday but decided not to make a chocolate cake. I got my green bean casserole precooked, deviled eggs made, and giblets cooked. Now I just need to get the turkey stuffed and in the roaster around 8am. I hope to have everything done so we can eat around 2pm. Our friend bought a huge 19 pound turkey so it is going to take at least 4 hours. It takes longer if you stuff the turkey but the dressing just doesn't taste as good when it is cooked outside the bird!

Sending blessings to all of you! Hugs.

Monique
November 22nd, 2012, 09:37 AM
32429 I am so thankful for all of my quilting friends here. You bring me joy every day. M*QC is the best.

I made my pie yesterday but decided not to make a chocolate cake. I got my green bean casserole precooked, deviled eggs made, and giblets cooked. Now I just need to get the turkey stuffed and in the roaster around 8am. I hope to have everything done so we can eat around 2pm. Our friend bought a huge 19 pound turkey so it is going to take at least 4 hours. It takes longer if you stuff the turkey but the dressing just doesn't taste as good when it is cooked outside the bird!

Sending blessings to all of you! Hugs.

Donna, I have never had a green bean casserole. I may have to try this. I can smell the turkey already. And you can keep the giblets, thank you.

MayinJerset
November 22nd, 2012, 09:44 AM
Pies in the oven and then Mr. Turkey takes over for a few hours until the yams and corn casserole join him. Meanwhile son and kids are going to traditional high school football game between our town and next one. They are meeting with some of sons old high school friends and their kids who are also visiting the old hometown for Thanksgiving. Looks like it's a perfect day for the game. Grandpa and I will hold down the homefort and tend to the cooking while they are gone.

Everyone has said it well, we all have a lot to be thankful for family, friends, health and all our pals here at MSQC. May in Jersey

Bubby
November 22nd, 2012, 09:52 AM
Good Morning,

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Martha and Donna, I'm sending you my giblets!!! I have two pies in the oven, both pumpkin. I already baked our Dutch apple pie and I would sure love a piece for breakfast. This is the day I allow myself to eat whatever and as much as I want. The rest of the year I stick to my diabetic eating plan...yuk! Monique, I think every house in the US has one form of green bean casserole or another! For several years now I've been adding a can of chopped water chestnuts to ours and it gives it a nice little crunch without changing the flavor. Everyone loves green bean casserole and it's un-American not to serve it today.

We have so much to be thankful for....our family, our home and the beauty that surrounds us in this part of Missouri, our health, a steady job for DH, friends and Miss Molly. We never dreamed she would be with us for Thanksgiving again this year. Of course, M* is near the top of my list of blessings....!

From our home to yours, we wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving....Barb, Jeff & Miss Molly

GrammaBabs
November 22nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
I bring the turkey to my DD's cooked,, I cook it long a slow all night, so right about now,,, i'm almost sick of smelling it...LOL
It is so good this way though,,, like everything i do,,, it's "out of the norm",,,, but i've never had anything less than a standing ovation...LOL
cook in the reynolds "bag"... at 250,, all night.. this year 21lbs..in heavy dispoable rroaster pan,,, cool,,each breast comes off in one piece with just 2 forks... the dark meat just pulls away...(What's left is pretty much bare bones, which in my case just get folded up in the roaster pan,,bagged and into the rubbish) i put it on serving dishes... and bring to her house,,, where we just slice the breast meat.. she has everything else done and ready... YUM....
I come home to a clean kitchen... and relax....
This torch was passed almost 10 years ago,,, the 20 before that.. it was my house...;)being retired is great!!
Enjoy one and all....remember your blessings and may you continue to have so many more... hugs Barbara

pcbatiks
November 22nd, 2012, 10:03 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all of my forum friends........hope you have a safe family, food & fun filled day. I'm so thankful that God has blessed me with my wonderful husband, son, my parents and our families, good health and my forum friends that have become such an important part of my life this past year. Have a great day everyone!

New York Sue
November 22nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Happy Thanksgiving All!
I'm looking forward to later in the day, when my house fills with family, great food and lively conversation. 'Dinner and a Show' as we affectionately refer to our gatherings...
I've worked all night, so my husband gets it all started while I sleep. I've been thinking about his yummy sausage and apple stuffing all week...
I'll wake up, have a cup of coffee, and work on sides. I came home to an open cookbook, and it looks likes Waldorf Salad has been added to my to-do list. YUM!
Have a great day all! SO thankful to be part of this Forum!

Monique
November 22nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
I bring the turkey to my DD's cooked,, I cook it long a slow all night, so right about now,,, i'm almost sick of smelling it...LOL
It is so good this way though,,, like everything i do,,, it's "out of the norm",,,, but i've never had anything less than a standing ovation...LOL
cook in the reynolds "bag"... at 250,, all night.. this year 21lbs..in heavy dispoable rroaster pan,,, cool,,each breast comes off in one piece with just 2 forks... the dark meat just pulls away...(What's left is pretty much bare bones, which in my case just get folded up in the roaster pan,,bagged and into the rubbish) i put it on serving dishes... and bring to her house,,, where we just slice the breast meat.. she has everything else done and ready... YUM....
I come home to a clean kitchen... and relax....
This torch was passed almost 10 years ago,,, the 20 before that.. it was my house...;)being retired is great!!
Enjoy one and all....remember your blessings and may you continue to have so many more... hugs Barbara

Do you not make soup with the bones? Shame to throw it out. Makes dandy soup. Send it to me then.

buckeyequilter
November 22nd, 2012, 11:32 AM
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving....

DH made pies yesterday and I made some sides last night. The turkey is in the oven now and I'm getting ready to make a vegetable plate. The giblets from my turkey have already been disposed of - my mom used to use that stuff to make dressing YUCK (I would never touch the stuffing she made).

My son and his family will be here. My daughter has to work but I'm sending some food along with her and she can have some turkey and other stuff when she gets home tonight.

Well back to the kitchen....have a wonderful day!

Sandy Navas
November 22nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
I am so un-American (sorry, Bubby . . . ) I am not having green bean casserole today - and I am not fond of it either. In fact, DSonIL seems to be the only one who truly loves it and he winds up taking it all home, which is okay with me.

I have three girls coming to help with prep and table setting. We should be in for a wild ride today. I think last count there were 9 or 10 pies here . . . WHAT? I'm hiding three of them for next week though. Turkey getting ready to head into the fire, ham at the side, lots and lots of fresh veggies this year. I have the cranberry-orange Jell-O (even found CRANBERRY gelatin . . . ) ready and made special meatballs for our Miss Emily who requested sweet and sour meatballs.

May each and everyone be thoroughly blessed on this day of Thanks! And may we carry the meaning of this day forward in our hearts and in our actions for all to witness. May God shine down on you!

MRoy
November 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! No green bean casserole here either...just plain ol' green beans! Thanksgiving cooking is done except for the mashed potatoes. When DH decides he's ready to eat, I'll finish them. Now to kick back and relax. I hope everyone has a wonderful, blessed day!

shannonsaulter
November 22nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here..my thoughts will be with our service people that wont be home but defending our freedom..I am off to work in a few hours and the house is quiet..We will have a family breakfast and then its off to the grind...No black friday shopping here not workth it its gotten to crazy out there but if you go be careful..((HUGS))) to ALL!!!!

CrazyMtnLady
November 22nd, 2012, 02:10 PM
Okay girls...send me your giblets! I use some for the dressing and some in the gravy. Turkey is roasting nice in the roaster. It is smelling so yummy right now. I will start my potatoes after a while...making Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

Our friend came over last night with a bottle of Glenlivet 12 year old scotch and between the 3 of us we down the whole bottle.. But I feel find today. I am not much on scotch so I let the guys drink the majority of it. :) We watched a funny movie and did a lot of laughing. Ray came over a little while ago and Daniel took him for a ride in the sidecar motorcycle. I am sure they are having a blast.

Just thought I would stop in for a few minutes before basting the bird.

Bubby: Water chestnuts in the green bean casserole sounds yummy.

Lonna
November 22nd, 2012, 02:36 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to each and every one you and your familys. I have my dressing and sweet potatoes in the oven. Getting ready to carry the jello salad and the carrot salad over to mom's but just wanted to wish all a wonderful day.

lilmouse
November 23rd, 2012, 01:07 AM
It's getting late in the day now and I am still catching up on all I missed; hope everyone had a lovely day...I did; helped my daughter this morning with making all the side dishes...she mainly did the cooking and I did all the dishes...for hours it seemed but we moved right along and it made clean up a lot easier for her as I had to leave before the deer started moving....hunting season where she lives and you could hear the shooting! The deer are moving a lot at dusk so I left shortly after dinner...but did help all morning and last night as her in-laws were also coming and SIL wanted everything spick and span for them...(never for me, but as my daughter says, I come to see them, not the house)...so was able to help also with the grand kids...my how they grow...the baby is 18 months old now and seems like she was just an infant....time passes so quickly now...was able to draw a little closer to the older grandkids and that was sweet, tended church with them last night; great sermon...and thoroughly enjoyed my visit this trip...didn't want to leave to come home but was figuring they were ready for some family only time! I also have to go back to work tomorrow night so getting home early tonight helped.

auntiemern
November 23rd, 2012, 02:45 AM
LOL about all the giblet talk. My day is winding down. Prepped some stuff last night, as well as did my baking. Wasn't feeling all that great this AM, so put the turkey on and went back to bed for a bit, til I had to go get GK's. Then of course they all had to help. Had the 5 year old help with GB casserole, (yep gotta have that every year) 9 year old help with the sweet taters, and even Bubby had to get in on the action and helped with the corn. DH was huge help to me today, would not have made it through the day with out him. So very happy to hear what a great day you all had planned, or the great day you had. Today as everyday, I have so much to be thankful for. I refuse to do the Black Friday craziness, just find it wrong, that the retail stores are even open today. But DD does it, and I give her my blessing as she fights the crowd to save money to get things for her children. (not easy being a single mom of 3). It has been a long tiring day, so I am going to bid you all a good night. Blessings and Hugs for all. Will be saying my nightly prayers for those in need in just a few.