PDA

View Full Version : Just need to vent

Lonna
November 22nd, 2012, 12:19 AM
Sorry just need to vent some place you can over look this if you like. Just need to get this off my chest and no where else to do this with out hurting some feelings here at home. Dear Hubby thought we needed a new tv. Ok I can deal with this it will just be another monthly payment. I have spent my whole life making payments of some sort or another no big deal. But these tv just keep getting bigger and bigger and with a bigger and bigger tv comes a bigger and bigger volume. I swear I feel like I am in the movie theather and have no control over the loudness. This thing is giving me a major headache but it is making Wayne happy so I guess I should be happy. Wonder if I can live with a headache for the rest of my life. Better buy stock in headache medics.

K. McEuen
November 22nd, 2012, 12:24 AM
See if you can find a compatible remote and lower the volume when he's not looking. I've done that to my hubby before. Or ask Wayne when the last time he had a hearing check was. He might be losing his hearing or at least need his ears cleaned out.

auntiemern
November 22nd, 2012, 12:34 AM
I would be needing to vent to. Have many times screamed at DH over the volume, to ask him why the h*ll he had it turned up so loud. I know my DH needs hearings aids, and he does to. He just won't go get them. Guess it is a macho thing. I have explained to him they make them now and you can't even see them. It is like talking to a rock, ughhhhh. So I feel for you. I also don't know why anyone needs a tv that darn big.

kelliedi
November 22nd, 2012, 12:38 AM
Get some of those headphones that are wireless but that will be on bluetooth to the TV. Pricey but well worth your sanity and marriage.3.

kelliedi
November 22nd, 2012, 12:39 AM
As for the size of the tv... the bigger the better.... football season is here and once you go big you will never go smaller... you don't see the lettering as well.... been there done that

Lonna
November 22nd, 2012, 12:42 AM
This tv even when on a lower volume is loud it is a 50 inche and I agree I dont know why we need a tv this big. It is not like we live in a house with hugh rooms. We live in a mobile home the furtherst you can get from this tv while sitting down is about 17 foot as the house is only 18 foot wide by 80 long. It just really has to be a man thing. I will admit that the picture is beautiful but come on. Just think in the morning when I am watching the Macys Thanksgiving parade the ballons will be life size in my living room.

Nursmate2
November 22nd, 2012, 12:49 AM
I feel ya...we have a 60 inch one and surround sound, when it gets cranked up I go to the sewing room pop in the earphones and sew. Vent away....

pcbatiks
November 22nd, 2012, 12:50 AM
I think loud tv must be a guy thing..........I hate having a tv too loud! I think I would check into those headphones that Kellie mentioned! Have fun with your front row seat to the Macy's Thanksgiving parade! :) Lonna I hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

meemeecyn
November 22nd, 2012, 01:13 AM
Both TV and the loud thing is a guy thing! As long as we have 'a room of our own' to go to. That kinda makes up for the Yammering from the TV. Venting is good for you. We are all patient listeners!

SuzyQue
November 22nd, 2012, 01:21 AM
Another guy thing------changing channels nonstop! URGH! It is a good thing that I love the guy, like crazy!

Tanya D
November 22nd, 2012, 02:14 AM
And have you noticed that commercials seem to be twice as loud as the program you are watching? Drives me crazy!

Lisapc
November 22nd, 2012, 03:51 AM
Before my husband had over two years of cancer treatment I had headaches trying to hear the TV because the volume was so low. Then after treatment he lost some hearing and the TV was turned up to a normal volume. Well, last month our not even 4 yr old TV died and we got a new one. He bought a 50 inch because he thought that was as big as he could go. I was perfectly happy with the 42 inch we had. This TV is also so loud I have spent much more time sewing, cooking, anything besides being in the room with him watching TV. I am not complaining to him or anyone else except for this very moment because I am lucky he is around to turn the TV up too loud. I am thankful to have him still being a tiny pain in the butt, a great Hubby, Dad and Papa.

Lisaau
November 22nd, 2012, 05:48 AM
do what l do openly turn it down in front of him and when he complains just say that you live there as well and if its turned up any louder you will put something through the screen then he wont have anything but a monthly payment......so he can like it or lump it

Musical_Starling
November 22nd, 2012, 07:04 AM
Oh ladies (and especially Lonna), I feel your pain!! Not necessarily on the large TVs, because the two we have are 32" ones, but they're so LOUD! And the TV in our living room has a surround sound connected to it, so a lot of the times everything is turned up on ridiculous! And to make matters worse, we watch mostly action movies, so there are explosions and guns and planes and loud cars and they all sound like they're right next to me! Then when I watch a movie, it's on a volume that you can just hear comfortably, and hubs complains that I turn everything on "Jill" (from Home Improvement). Oh my... lol Just last week he tried to convince me that we need surround sound for the TV in our bedroom. Nice try though!

bkthomas
November 22nd, 2012, 07:15 AM
Vent any time!!! We're always here for ya! A cheaper alternative - earplugs!

Monique
November 22nd, 2012, 08:14 AM
What is it with men and their toys. Hubby has a hearing problem already. TV is loud at times. And yes I really enjoy watching the guide. Channel surfing I can't stand, so I don't really watch TV with him anymore. Don't need to watch what is on now, but what will be on later.

Evilynn
November 22nd, 2012, 08:43 AM
And have you noticed that commercials seem to be twice as loud as the program you are watching? Drives me crazy!

Yes I feel the same way. I wonder if it really helps to sell more lol if you scream at your customers :P
I find it horrible too! Only thing that works here is having the remote ready. It's awful - should be forbidden -.-

As for men and loud TVs - I hear ya. In this household it's ME with the hearing problem (I don't need a hearing aid but I somehow hear not perfectly) but when my soon to be husband watches an actionmovie it's like war is happening in our livingroom! I am usually in the bedroom with the baby by then (in my sewing corner) but I have to go over and tell him to please lower the volume often.
What I don't know tho is if it's really the fault of our men because from what I noticed is that the volume of the background music is often MUCH louder than the volume of the dialogs. Anyone else noticed this?? Or is it my hearing problem lol :D

Koda
November 22nd, 2012, 09:07 AM
Whenever possible - I suggest a "man den".

Namaste,
Koda

CrazyMtnLady
November 22nd, 2012, 09:42 AM
I actually have earplugs that I wear at times because the tv is so loud. I put in the earplugs and it takes it to a normal volume. I always tell DH that I can't understand why he CAN'T hear the tv that is 3 feet from the bed but he CAN hear me cuss at him under my breath when I am in the next room....LOL.

Bubby
November 22nd, 2012, 09:57 AM
Donna, Wireless headphones are the answer. My late husband lost most of his hearing from radiation treatments and he nearly drove me insane with the volume. I bough him a pair of wireless headphones and it saved me!!! He could listen to his programs as loud as he wanted and I could be in the same room with him. I think we got ours at Radio Shack, but WalMart probably has them, too. Good Luck!

QuiltinMike
November 22nd, 2012, 10:03 AM
Why do you need a tv that big? The answer is because they make them!! Lol. Sorry about the sound volume though. I do that to my 4 kids when they decide it is time to talk and make noise during the shows I want to watch. Sounds bad, and maybe it is, but there are only 1 or 2 shows a week I want to see. My wife will come over grab the remote and turn it down...point made. Lol

pcbatiks
November 22nd, 2012, 10:16 AM
Yes I feel the same way. I wonder if it really helps to sell more lol if you scream at your customers :P
I find it horrible too! Only thing that works here is having the remote ready. It's awful - should be forbidden -.-

As for men and loud TVs - I hear ya. In this household it's ME with the hearing problem (I don't need a hearing aid but I somehow hear not perfectly) but when my soon to be husband watches an actionmovie it's like war is happening in our livingroom! I am usually in the bedroom with the baby by then (in my sewing corner) but I have to go over and tell him to please lower the volume often.
What I don't know tho is if it's really the fault of our men because from what I noticed is that the volume of the background music is often MUCH louder than the volume of the dialogs. Anyone else noticed this?? Or is it my hearing problem lol :D

I agree the background music is DEFINITELY louder than the dialog lots of times.......drives me crazy........or the actors mumble through the whole movie. I call them mumble movies!

Quiltlover
November 22nd, 2012, 10:42 AM
Mike,

Nice to hear a guy's view on here. LOL
My hubbie is also losing his hearing and won't admit it. He doesn't play the TV that loud but rarely knows what anyone has said...on TV or in the room with him. He tells me that my voice changed with my most recent pituitary surgery, which is possible, but he can't hear in a drive through at a fast food place and orders get scrambled, etc. Wish he would have his hearing checked. I don't want hearing aids either but don't want to miss out on conversations either.
Also, about the mega TVs....some of them are so wide, my sis has one of those, that when a picture pans or there is a lot of movement, I almost get motion sickness.
Don't care too much about the size of the screen, just wish there were more programs worth watching. My sis has the Netflix thing where she can instantly play movies on her TV...might enjoy that.
I've been reading a lot lately and am getting better and better at tuning out the TV.

Brenda

Evilynn
November 22nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
I agree the background music is DEFINITELY louder than the dialog lots of times.......drives me crazy........or the actors mumble through the whole movie. I call them mumble movies!

Mumble movies, haha! Anyway, really badly made job there by the movie makers. How come no one else notices this?!

madampolo
November 22nd, 2012, 11:18 AM
This seems to be a universal problem, doesn't it? I got a chuckle out of your comment about no being able to get more than 17 feet away. My husband is deaf in one ear, and doesn't hear well out of the other. He has hearing aids he never ever wears. The tv volume gets so high it vibrates the wall of the bedroom behind it. I just turn up the radio in the bedroom loud and ignore the tv.

Lonna
November 22nd, 2012, 11:33 AM
Thank you sounds like I am not on this boat alone. Lisapc I know where you are coming from that is the way it is here. I am just thankful that I still have Wayne here with me which is why I put up with the things that I do. With his cancer and treatments if this tv makes him happy then I am happy. It looks as if I will be spending more time in my sewing room.

Have a great Thanksgiving and all hold on to those who are dear to you and enjoy your day. It is now time for me to watch these giant ballons in my small living room. And get Waynes dressing done.

promqueen
November 22nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
I can sympathize with you. My DH is hard of hearing because of his work environment so it helps when we put the closed captioning on. Now I can't go without it I depend on it so much. When he has his hearing aids out he thinks it is a normal volume but it's extremely loud to the point I can't stand it so he turns it down. Definitely check to see if his hearing is getting worse. That could be the problem. When it's too loud it bothers the dog too! Good Luck..........Mary Ann

Sandy Navas
November 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
Just wait until I tell Al that everyone here thinks he is a SAINT! I truly don't have that problem AT ALL (the only time he wants the volume up a bit is if he's watching The Voice or American Idol). Otherwise I may strain to hear it - however neither of us is a big TV watcher. I personally love to have the background noise (as long as it covers 'white' noise) and must admit that I have TVs in all but our bathrooms . . . oh, and the dining room. I can't stand chatter noise at parties and large gatherings though. Right now there is soft Christmas music playing the the background.

Al also loves to sit and watch the Hallmark movies with me - neither of us enjoy the bang-bang, shoot-em-up type shows and all the vulgarities and ignorant type sit-coms. I once mentioned to a friend that I could not understand why we would allow such inane movies to be made and this friend told me that is because we want the rest of the world to think we're stupid - and then they are surprised when they find we're not (?????). I'm not a major lover of media . . . .

Why did I respond to this post????

MRoy
November 22nd, 2012, 08:37 PM
I would be needing to vent to. Have many times screamed at DH over the volume, to ask him why the h*ll he had it turned up so loud. I know my DH needs hearings aids, and he does to. He just won't go get them. Guess it is a macho thing. I have explained to him they make them now and you can't even see them. It is like talking to a rock, ughhhhh. So I feel for you. I also don't know why anyone needs a tv that darn big.

Same thing here Marilyn. DH is getting hard of hearing and won't even discuss hearing aids. His mom had them and he thinks they'll all be like hers were. AND the volume button on the TV remote gets a real workout...he turns it up and, when he's not looking, I turn it back down.

Jess1377
November 22nd, 2012, 08:54 PM
LOL!! Mumble movies is a great term for them!

I agree with a bunch of others ~ get the wireless headphones. They are marriage savers I tell ya!! My DH got them and then I got some sleep :) (our MASSIVE t.v. is in our bedroom, I sleep with a pillow on my head to block the light all the time)

Patrice
November 22nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
Get some of those headphones that are wireless but that will be on bluetooth to the TV. Pricey but well worth your sanity and marriage.3.

Are those for the one that can't hear or can hear? My husband can't here in one ear and our tv is way to loud as well

Gayle8675309
November 22nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
My hubby always listens to the TV loudly also. He did have his hearing checked, and his hearing was still good. So I don't know why he has to have the TV so loud. Maybe it's a guy thing.

Gayle

lilmouse
November 23rd, 2012, 12:26 AM
I will have to say I am blessed....I said no TV in the bedroom, it is for rest and relaxation, not entertainment from the boobtube! and he went along with it...grudgingly but now is glad he did; since he watches movies in the semi all the time for entertainment on his free time when he is home the tv rarely goes on and when he isn't home it never goes on!....I am either on the computer or in the sewing room or at work! We have a large screen tv there but is only on for the boss or customers' requests with no volume and closed captioning!

buckeyequilter
November 23rd, 2012, 12:28 AM
Our TV and stereo is always too loud. I know DH can hear because if I'm in another room on the phone - he seems to know everything I say LOL

pcbatiks
November 23rd, 2012, 02:31 AM
Okay QuiltinMike......I had to laugh at your post........"Why do we need such a big tv...........because they make them!" Too funny! I told my husband what your comment was to this discussion......he laughed and agreed with you 100%!

And Jess....I'm glad you liked the Mumble Movie comment..........feel free to use it anytime you want :D

bkthomas
November 23rd, 2012, 02:44 AM
Just wait until I tell Al that everyone here thinks he is a SAINT! I truly don't have that problem AT ALL (the only time he wants the volume up a bit is if he's watching The Voice or American Idol). Otherwise I may strain to hear it - however neither of us is a big TV watcher. I personally love to have the background noise (as long as it covers 'white' noise) and must admit that I have TVs in all but our bathrooms . . . oh, and the dining room. I can't stand chatter noise at parties and large gatherings though. Right now there is soft Christmas music playing the the background.

Al also loves to sit and watch the Hallmark movies with me - neither of us enjoy the bang-bang, shoot-em-up type shows and all the vulgarities and ignorant type sit-coms. I once mentioned to a friend that I could not understand why we would allow such inane movies to be made and this friend told me that is because we want the rest of the world to think we're stupid - and then they are surprised when they find we're not (?????). I'm not a major lover of media . . . .

Why did I respond to this post????

Your husbands name is Nick???!!!!