PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Fabric....no idea what to do with it.

Julie Tweed
November 19th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I asked for fabric on a facebook page I belong to and a lady mentioned her mother was going to throw a load of fabric away and did I want it...Of course I said yes (not knowing what kinds of fabrics I would be getting)...

Well went to get it today and it is almost (if not all) fabric for making curtains...quite a lot of it already hemmed ready for the curtain tape to be applied...some of it feels like bed sheet material.

I don't need curtains and with the variety of ready made curtains no one I know needs any...

SOOOO What can I make with it?

Some of it is quite thick and some of the thinner ones are quite stiff...May wash the smaller ones to see if the stiffness washes out..

Ideas anyone....Can post photos tomorrow of the patterns on them..

Thanks.
Julie

PS I love a mystery and couldn't say no...but don't want to waste it either..:-)

GrammaBabs
November 19th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Check my albums.... most of my totes are done with "Home Dec" weight fabrics... I used to work in that dept. and took old books,, and cut out samples... i have drawers full.... i make zipper pouches... (see pictures,,, totes.. and ipad holders... as well,,, i do ME.. on a light color (ie.. initial or saying,,).. then border with fabrics... and make toss pillows.... enjoy... YES... you can wash, but be prepared to iron a bit... Have fun!!

Sandy Navas
November 20th, 2012, 12:29 AM
I do think Babs hit it - make a bunch of totes. That weight fabric is great for them - and you may be able to mix and match and come up with some really great personal designs, advertise and make a mint. Once you are a multi-millionaire you can either come spend time at M*QC or invite us all to Ireland for a quilt show!

Hugs!

dwil23
November 20th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Don't forget covers for pet beds. They would make great gifts for anyone four legged friends you might have!

Julie Tweed
November 21st, 2012, 08:09 PM
Any very simple bag patterns (zippered or other wise..:-) ) I never did a zip before so it needs to be idiot proof..:-)
(I could look one up...but then I wouldn't know for sure what sewing level it was...I like to know some one did it first ..lol...)
Thanks
Julie

Bubby
November 21st, 2012, 08:16 PM
Julie...Summon your inner Irish strength and tackle making a tote! I know you can do it! You make great quilts...you can definitely make a tote! Hugs...Your Irish friend in Missouri

Sandy Navas
November 21st, 2012, 10:01 PM
You can do any of these, Julie: http://tipnut.com/tote-bag-ideas-free-patterns/