PDA

View Full Version : Embroidry machine

sally
October 20th, 2010, 01:13 AM
:icon_attention:Does anyone have one? They look so cool and I could personalize my projects but are they worth it?

KarenB
October 20th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I LOVE my embroidery machine. I bought a gently used one from my LQS so that I still got some maintanence with my purchase. I will say though that you do need to purchase a "embroidery program" which is also quite expensive. Your machine will be able to do things without the program but you will quickly grow out of the limits of the machine alone. I saw this on another site I visit and thought you might be interested. It is an older machine but might be worth it to you to see if you really like it before investing the big bucks on a new(er) one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270649507643&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR4 0%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D2706495076 43%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Also, when I bought mine, I was in need of a new sewing machine too, so this was like killing 2 birds with one stone because they are quite nice sewing machines too.

Good luck!

janluna
October 20th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I have a emb machine too, but mine only does embroidery you can't sew with it. But it is a work horse machine. And yes you need the program with it. It's best if they sew as well.
You could use solid fabric in your quilts and make a memory quilt with it. They are just awesome.

Keepstitchin
October 20th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I have a sewing and embroidery machine and I love it! Besides the program to add or edit designs, it can get expensive. I jumped right in with out really knowing about threads, stablizers and programs. Do your homework and make sure you can find good prices on things. Buzz Edit has some very good not so expensive editing programs. Also, there are tons of free embroidery designs on the web, so that helps save money, too. Good luck!!

salsalady
October 20th, 2010, 01:50 PM
hi, i have a brothers 1250D which is sewing and embroidery. i went online and found free designs to embroidery. had to buy the flash drive to download to machine. it gets evpensive if you buy the software. emblibrary.com abc embroidery.com embroiderydesigns.com. for a few to check out.good luck lorene

hillbilly
October 20th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I bought my sewing/embroidery combo right before I had HUGE unexpected life changes, therefore I never found the time to really learn. i highly recommend getting one where you can take classes about it. Most offer them free with purchase. There is much to learn about design, stabilizers, surfaces, etc.

I bought an $800 design program I never got to learn, and ended up getting rid of the machine. It would have been fun...if I had the time.

Judy Domec
October 22nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
I, too, bought a machine that boths sews and embroiders. I use the sewing machine far more than the embroidery feature, but still, I'm glad I have it. They come in such a wide price range these days they are worth having IF you use them. I love my machine now as much as I did when I first brought it home.

StitchingTime
October 22nd, 2010, 06:41 PM
I have an embroidery machine that also sews. It is wonderful on all accounts but...the machine is not the most expensive part of the endeavor.

The software to be able to transfer the designs is another expense. I only have the one where you can look at the designs on the computer, convert formats, if needed, and save the designs to a card or flash drive.

The designs don't come cheap but, as said earlier, there are quite a few free ones on the internet then the thread and stabilizer thing is a big deal. There are a number of great threads for embroidery but they are not cheap!

Told you the negatives but it has been great fun and I would do it all over again today.

Lola2Ace
October 23rd, 2010, 02:20 AM
Sally, I have 3 embroidery/sewing machines. I use the 2 newer models all of the time. I have 1 set up for sewing and the other for embroidery, but each of them are easily changed over, if need be. I don't even have to remove the embroidery arm on my newest model to use it for sewing--I don't have the newest model(s) they offer though.......but I would love to, of course!
I am considering selling the oldest model, but haven't made the final decision yet........
They are a big expense, but I also think they are worth it. True about the threads,computer programs and stabilizers being additional expenses, but like quilting it's something you build on.
I bought all of my machines used, with dealer warranties and have had few to no problems with them--a recall on one, but that was covered completely. I have the HusqVarna Viking machines, and they work with a credit card company on purchases, I paid no interest on my machines, which is the only way I could have purchased them.
Lola

Laura108
October 23rd, 2010, 02:51 AM
I too have embroidery machines. 4 brothers 2 that sew and 2 that don't. I just love them..Well worth the money and totally addicting....I started out with a 4x4 frame and graduated up but like most anything bigger is better ...if I had to do it over again...I would of went big in the first place....Even Rodney loves them..and that's alot when a man wants to do his own hats...haha

GrammaBabs
October 23rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hi all....
I have a Designer I..... it's a ton of fun....i love to embroider "sets" of redwork ie. days of the week, baby animals... on cloth... then border them with strips of fabric and make really cute quilts or pillows for kids.... same process for tote bags or anything i want to add embroidery on.... Makes no sense to me to go crazy trying to "center" a design.. when you can just build around it.. nothing fancy just fun..
As for the software... i just use the basic that came with the machine... but have now found that there is some pretty affordable stuff offered out there ie.. Stitche in Motion that sells things like
Sew What Pro/ Iconizer... which get the job done and are very affordable... sorry if this sounds like a promo
but i'm a "research girl" and this stuff saves a ton of money..
As for learning... the book that came with my machine was all i really needed to get me going... and it's been 10 years...i have a few machines and dabble in everything... so trust me when i tell you this is cost effective... hope this helps a bit... oh.. and i like AllStitchfor stabalizer.. they will send you a "sample pack" for free with all the types and what they are for... and i LOVE precut... sorry for taking so much space, but i'm one of those "love to share girls"...:o