PDA

View Full Version : The Weekend Before Thanksgiving

phoots
November 19th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Oh, what a weekend this was! First, I woke up Saturday morning with the most God awful pain in my tooth and jaw. I knew what it was so I went to see a dentist. I hate dentists, so this was no small feet. Just as I expected, my tooth (or maybe several) is infected. I inherited my Mom's teeth a long time ago and have no end of trouble. A number of years ago, one tooth broke, but because of my fear, I never did anything about it. About a year ago, the tooth next to it broke. And finally a very large filling on a took nearby came out. Now, with no money and no insurance, I'm not sure where to turn. Anyway, the dentist gave me a prescription for antibiotics and made me promise that I will get something done this time. This is not the first time I've gone to this dentist for the exact same problem.

Saturday night, after having dinner, my BF and I came home and Rebel was outside waiting for us. But he wasn't his normal self. He always greets us with his tail straight up in the air, letting us know how happy he is to see us. That night his tail was down and he seemed really afraid. He didn't want to come in the apartment so my BF stayed outside with him until he finally came in. My BF was really worried. We know of a vet very close by who is always open everyday of the week (including Sundays) so we took Rebel in as soon as they opened.

We had never taken Rebel to a vet and didn't know how he'd react, but he just laid there and let them do their thing. The vet found a wound where his tail joins the rest of his body so they took him to the back to shave the area and see what was there. Turns out he had a puncture wound right there on his tail and it had abcessed. That was why he couldn't raise his tail.

So, long story short, Rebel stayed at the vet clinic until just before they closed for the day. They had to sedate him, cut the abcess open, clean it out, insert a drain, and give him a powerful shot of antibiotics. At home we have to give him pain meds twice a day. Also, he has a cone around his neck.

Poor Rebel is so unhappy right now. He has trouble getting around because the cone get's stuck on everything, seems like. Also, because of the sedation and pain meds, he's real wobbly on his feet.

If you all could pray for Rebel to get well soon, I would appreciate it. He's had such a hard life. We took him in because the guy who used to own him left Rebel when I moved to Ohio.

Thank you everyone!
Pam in Vegas

MayinJerset
November 19th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Poor Rebel has had a bad weekend, hope the shots and meds work so you all can enjoy a Happier Thanksgiving. May

auntiemern
November 19th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Poor thing. Sounds like you are both having a rough time of it.

bkthomas
November 19th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Oh Pam, if it isn't one thing it's another, right? Sorry to here all this, pray that you will both be better soon!

lilmouse
November 19th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Prayers for both you and Rebel....take care!

Monique
November 19th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Pam, it never rains buts pours sometimes huh. I hope you both feel better soon.

HandsOffItsMine
November 19th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Big hugs to you both! Tooth pain sucks, I know dealt with that last month. Our poor animal friends can't talk when they're in pain. :( Glad you guys took him in to be seen. Hope he gets better soon.

meemeecyn
November 19th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Thinking of you and Rebel, Pam. Hope you are both feeling better soon.

Claire Hallman
November 19th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Hope you both feel better very soon. Tooth pain is the worst except if he could talk Rebel would probably say tail pain is worse. Sounds like he had a fight. We have had a fighter that would end up with abscesses from time to time, we keep our current one inside at night to help keep that problem away.

Madeforyouinma11
November 19th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Aww poor thing. I hope you both feel better soon.