PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday, Oct 19

Blondie
October 19th, 2010, 07:14 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/gm/gmt-1.gif

Mornin'

Trish, glad that the surgery went well with Katie. I know you are pooped. It's a shame you couldn't get another day off, but then, taking care of recovering patients can be just as exhausting as dealing with work. Give Katie best wishes. Soon she will be able to kick major butt.

Laura, your culinary skills sound like Martha Stewart. Who wouldn't like applesauce cake?! And yes, I am wanting something with pumpkin in it. I think my mom has a recipe for pumpkin whoopies. I may check that out when I go down there later this morning.

The visit went fine. This cousin lives in Tn and has a child attending medical school at U.VA in Charlottesville. He was much interested in the family geneology that we've done. I hustled my brother's behind down there since he has done a lot recently. Everyone enjoyed the dinner, Daddy was sociable and Mom was in her seventh heaven. She loves to entertain. I prefer to stay in the kitchen or sit and listen. I am sure you find that hard to believe.hehehe

I did get one Santa head painted and the other is still nekked. Will work on them today perhaps.
Gina's scrap pile has me thinking of more scrappy quilts. Since I have loads of scraps that I love to use, perhaps I will do some kind of 9 block or chain. Still thinking on that one.

Have a good day ladies.

sally
October 19th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Good morning everyone. Took a mental health day yesterday. :icon_crazy:Just couldn't face going in to work so I worked at home instead. Cleaned up the storage closet and oragaized my material. I like the idea of a scrappy quilt. My mother is a bit of a hoader so I know she has material everywhere. So next time I visit her I will have to check out her stash. Some of it is pretty vintage!
Well I am back to work today but first to the gym so have a great day girls!
Hugs to you all!:icon_wave:

ginampls
October 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
i didn't get to sorting the fabric. yet... i to want to make some squares. but it is over whelming... i really want to do a sampler. with the blocks jen has showed us.. and i have been commissioned from the super to fix a few quilts. so i will get on it... only i just feel so blah... no not sick just got too many project ideas that i just fizzle out... want to make cookies too. peanut butter...

janluna
October 19th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Good morning everyone, Please keep my granddaughter in your prayers. The make a wish foundation sent Emily and her family to Disney World and the trip was a bit too much for her. They are coming home today so she can be near her Doctors.
Trish, I hope Katie's acl heals quickly. I'll say prayers.
I'm beat today. Did too much car riding yesterday. Had to go to Buffalo for my class, that's 140 miles round trip plus the class time. So it took it's toll. But I'll live I always do!!
Thursday is another trip to finish up the hand quilting class and then I'm done for awhile.
Besides I have two quilts started and I still have to quilt my DH's wall hanging. So I'll be plenty busy. And Christmas is coming. It will be a little one this year. All that matters is that we get Emily back on her feet.
Have a good day everyone. I love you all, Thanks for being my friends. Jan

janluna
October 19th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Shauna, everyone needs a mental health day once in a while. I need them everyday. LOL
:icon_crazy:

Lola2Ace
October 19th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Jan, I will certainly keep your DGD in my prayers. So sorry to hear that she is returning home from her trip not doing well! I have a huge list that I want to get done for Christmas too!
Gina, just keep at it. I have found that breaking down projects to little bits at a time helps. I have also been trying Hillbilly's list making and that's such a great thing too! As you get something done, mark it off---you realize just how much you DO get done that way, that you usually don't give yourself credit for. I am going to start writing down the quilts and sewing projects I want to do, just so I can keep track of them--I sometimes 'lose' them in my head. I need to get one of those marker boards for my sewing room for my projects list!
Trish, so glad your daughter's surgery went well. I wish her a quick and easy recovery as well. Sorry to hear about the more extensive damage, but am glad they found it now.
Blondie, sounds like you had a good visit with the family, and the pot of spaghetti sounds wonderful!
Sally, everybody needs a mental health day once in a while! Sounds like you made the best of it!
Today is my GrannyNanny day with Ace and we are having a blast playing. I did bring my 'ToGo' sewing and crochet and will get that out during nap time. I have 2 potholders almost done and several bibs to whipstitch.
Lola

sewsoft
October 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hello Ladies,
Blondie- you sound pretty busy.
Jan- I hope the best your DGD . (Hugs & Kisses to her)
Trish -nice to hear your DD is off the recovery.
Someone please tell me more about Hillbilly's list making for getting things done...
Gina- keep it up your doing great.
Sally- Don't feel bad about taking a mental health day we all need them.
Laura- Hope things are going well with you.
Lola2Ace- Tell me about this writing things down list, I need help too.
Oh so much to do do little time.....

Hugs all around.

quiltingtrish
October 19th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Katie was sleepy most of the day. I did make sure she could use the bathroom by herself before I left this morning and DH was home with her. I brought home her books and they are so heavy I thought I broke my back. I'll have to make 2 trips from the car when she returns to school.

BEE-U-TI-FUL day today! The trees are definately changing their colors and the air is cool.

I make lists too. I'll have to read up on HillBillies entries to see if she wrote down how she writes her list.
I just break mine down as to when they are due and what needs done on them. When I finish another step in the process, I cross it off. It's always nice to see that I have some crossed off items.
I keep it in a binder and refer to it often to remind me of what projects I have to work on.

Hope you all are having a FAN TAB U LOUS DAY!

Hugs,

sally
October 19th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Jan I will certianlly say prayers for your Granddaughter! Speaking of prayers my coworker got his news and it is NOT cancer. Thank the good Lord! I am glad I took my day off...got stuff done albeit I did feel a bit guilty. Well back to work!

sewsoft
October 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Ok ladies maybe you can help me with this one. I'm a freeze baby all year around and I live in a cold climate (crazy I know). Well it's 59 degrees today and I'm freezing my feet feel like I've been standing on Ice blocks all day. My hands feel like I kept them in the freezer all day. I have 4 blankets on my bed already and I have a hard time getting warm or staying warm. What have some of you done. I thought of making some sort of wool blanket but I'm not sure if their is such a thing as wool fabric that has wool fur on one side. I don't know... Please give me suggestions I have a feeling this is going to be a looooong and cold winter when the snow does get here. Are there any other things that help besides a electric blanket? I have good Columbia boots and my feet freeze in those in the winter as well. I'm just trying to prepare myself early. Like I said I'm a freeze baby! Thanks for suggestions.

quiltingtrish
October 19th, 2010, 07:08 PM
There are mattress pads that are heated that lay under your sheets that you could try. They are expensive though. And since DH doesn't like those or the heated blankets, I take a lap blanket made out of fleece and lay that down on top of my cold sheets. I lay on top of the fleece.
It helps.
You can usually get these fleece blankets just about anywhere for under $10.

Hugs,

toggpine
October 19th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Sewsoft: There are several ways to make lists of stuff to get done. I have a large dry erase board that is propped where every member of the family can see it. We put the major things "To Do" on there and phone messages if they come in when the person is not in. I also use the dry erase markers on the bathroom mirrors for more direct messages to the family members. "Pick up your laundry!" Remember the dry erase stuff makes a mess on whatever is below when you wipe it off. I keep a small paper list of projects I want to do inside the three ring binder of my sewing inspirations. I have taken to tearing out photos/patterns in the magazines if there is only one I want to keep and shoving them in a sheet protector. This then goes in the binder. It takes up much less space, & I can easily flip through to see my intended projects. I also have the list of "Gift" projects that have particular time lines to get done.
I make a calendar/list on the edge of my bathroom mirror of things & appointments for the week, especially if it is a busy one.
As for house cleaning, I think somebody asked about how to schedule that too. I do it when I have the least amount of resistance. Normally Mondays are the day I do the big stuff. When my hubby works 4-10's I shift that to Tuesdays. The stuff gets picked up off of the floors and can stay there until I am finished with the vacuum. The preschooler has decided she loves to vacuum the kitchen and some parts of the carpets. Hey, who am I to say no to that? She gets most of the big stuff right before we go to school and then I can finish when I get back from dropping her off. I have about 2 hours that I can turn up the tunes and boogie through the house. I have tried to "race" the washer to see if I can get the whole house dusted & the glass cleaned before the washer stops. (No fair being sloppy, you just have to do it again later.) We have enough laundry with 4 people in the house that there is no danger of me running out of laundry to do. The dryer is the hang up, as it take 45 minutes to an hour to cycle, whereas the washer is about 30 minutes. I try to squeeze in either the bathroom scrubbing or the kitchen floors in that time space. A good 2 hour burst of house cleaning is usually enough to make a dent and I can get most of it done that way in two days. The second day is bed linens, fridge purging, and sometimes bigger sorting projects.
Trish: I am happy to hear that your daughter is on the mend.
Jan: I will add your granddaughter to the list.
Blondie: Happy to hear the visit went well!
Gina: I'm with Lola, take it one bit/project at a time. If you look at the whole thing it does get overwhelming. (Trust me, I know. You saw them mess that this space was!) I started by attacking one thing/area at a time. Then when I was ready to jump all in, I had resting places that were already done. I took me nearly three years to get to that point, cause I had other things to do and work in.
Shelia: Go you! More mental health days should be taken!
Lola: Have fun with your grandson!
Cathy

toggpine
October 19th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Have you tried a flax bag? You can use them for either hot or cold. Mine are made of flannel and filled with flax seeds I bought from the feed store. I mixed in some fragrant herbs (lavender, mint, lemongrass, etc.) with the seeds. You sew the bag shut and I keep mine in the freezer ready as a cold compress. If you want it hot, pop it in the microwave. Pull it out and shift the seed around a bit and put it back in to finish heating. On the nights that my toes are freezing, I'll tuck one of these in the flannel sheets at the foot of the bed and my toes are nice & toasty. I'll get a pic posted later.
I do have a few blankets that have fake sheep on one side and a polar fleece on the other. They are OK. You might be better off with a double layer fleece blanket though.
Gotta run & pick up at preschool!
Cathy

Blondie
October 19th, 2010, 08:53 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/GN/1cf.jpg

Hi ladies
Just had the nicest post to you and poof, it disappeared. WAH! Now, because I am blonde and we won't mention age, I can't remember what all I posted except to say briefly

Sewsoft, follow what Cathy toggpine said about making warmers. They work.

Cathy, I KNEW you had to be mega organized to run that household and quilt! I shall never complain about my scheduling woes again. Amazing tips and hadn't thought of the dry erase on the mirror.

Jan, praying for your GD. I am so sorry to read that she had to come home early!

Shauna, thanks for letting us know the good news on Nathan. I think it is wonderful to be able to take a Mental Health Day. Where do I sign up????

Lola, glad that you get to enjoy Ace the way you do.

Trish, glad to read that Katie got along well today - are you going to get some rest tonite? I sure hope so. I would be falling on the bed in a heap.

Gina, you have so much on your plate and have been given some great advice here. It is so easy to get overwhelmed. And I have to limit my time surfing on the net, etc because I go into sensory overload and that overwhelms me. I don't know where to start first. So, I have kept a little brag photo album with pics of blocks that I want to make in it. I also keep some fabric that I have one yard or more of. It helps me whenever I have a few extra dollars to see what I need to add to. I am a scrappy person, so this works well for me. I have so many scraps that I should have NO reason to purchase fabric - yeah, like that is a reason! Sort a little, sew a little. That's what I do. And laugh loads and loads - I do that mostly at myself!

Blessings and good nite ladies

sewsoft
October 19th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks Blondie :icon_wave:, I will follow Toggpine's suggestion, Thank you.

craftyladysam
October 19th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Sewsoft, I was going to suggest a rice bag at your feet but I think it was Cathy who suggested something like that.
Jan, will remember your granddaughter in my prayers.
I like the idea of a project book. Maybe that will keep me straight. The cleaning will wait believe me! I read where 15 mins. a day was all you needed to do. They haven't been to my house.LOL

janluna
October 20th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Ok ladies maybe you can help me with this one. I'm a freeze baby all year around and I live in a cold climate (crazy I know). Well it's 59 degrees today and I'm freezing my feet feel like I've been standing on Ice blocks all day. My hands feel like I kept them in the freezer all day. I have 4 blankets on my bed already and I have a hard time getting warm or staying warm. What have some of you done. I thought of making some sort of wool blanket but I'm not sure if their is such a thing as wool fabric that has wool fur on one side. I don't know... Please give me suggestions I have a feeling this is going to be a looooong and cold winter when the snow does get here. Are there any other things that help besides a electric blanket? I have good Columbia boots and my feet freeze in those in the winter as well. I'm just trying to prepare myself early. Like I said I'm a freeze baby! Thanks for suggestions.

Sewsoft, Have you been checked on lately by your Doctor? You might want to bring it up with them. Your coldness could be symptoms of a thyroid problem.
Another thing that works for me is adding humidity to the air. If you don't have a humidifier boil a big pot of water on the stove. Just let the steam roll. The more humidity in the air the warmer it is in the room. It works as you know in the summer time. It works in the winter too. It cut our heating bill by 25%.
As for the heating of flax seed or buckwheat that fills the heating pack be sure not to heat it more than 2 minutes in the microwave as this can cause a fire or severe burns.
I've picked up patients that have had some pretty bad burns from those type of packs.
I wish you a warmer winter. LOL Hugs, Jan

janluna
October 20th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Everyone, thank you for the prayers for my granddaughter. For those of you who don't know she has Aplastic Anemia. It can be fatal. The last ditch effort is a bone marrow transplant. She is being weaned off her meds in December to see if she is in remission. She has been doing well this summer and even got to go back to school this year. Her blood levels have been just under normal which is good. For her to be tired suddenly is a warning sign and that's what has us worried. She has had so many blood transfusions and awful medicine with side effects and low blood counts. It has been a very hairy 18 mos.
She was doing so well we sort of had a whole bunch of hope. You can understand the scare. So your prayers for her are received with great appreciation. Thank you so much, we believe in the power of prayer. It has gotten us this far, we hope to go all the way to remission. Hugs, Jan

Laura108
October 20th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Hi all just stopping in with love and hugs...Im taking a few days off the net. Too much to do and Im getting a bit overwhelmed. Rodney was home today and wow did we get alot done....Tore carpeting out of our bedroom ( ughh at unloading the room ) painted the walls...calked windows ...and put down dark hardwood laminate flooring. My goodness it looks great but wow alot for one day...I just need some down time and time to get things done here in the house. I'm so glad everyone is doing well...and sewsoft...listen to Jan about seeing your doctor ...she always has good advice..
Big hugs to everyone...see ya soon :)

sally
October 20th, 2010, 01:09 AM
UGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Not having a good eveiing. Bought some new "vanilla flavored" tea and just brewed some up and no vanilla. Just plain tea flavor...ergg! Plus my pets are getting on my nerves tonight. One dog manages to put himself where ever I am walking and so I keep tripping over him. The younger cat is pestering the old 17 year cat so he is howliing which gets the beagle going... I get up to stop the problem and trip over the first dog. Hmmm sounds like having 4 preschoolers in the house...lol
I am calling it quits and going to bed! Night all!