PDA

View Full Version : Hostess....

buckeyequilter
November 18th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Has anyone seen the price of Twinkies on e-bay? I have some hostess cakes in my cupboard - I could sell them and support my quilting habit quite nicely *lol*

CrazyMtnLady
November 18th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I use to love Hostess Ding-Dongs. But I gave all that sweet stuff up a long time ago. I can't remember the last time I ate a twinkie! But it is still sad to see Hostess go away.

bkthomas
November 18th, 2012, 07:13 PM
LOL!!!!! That is sew funny!!!!!!

shannonsaulter
November 18th, 2012, 07:24 PM
LOL...ebay has some funny things on it if you browse long enough..

MayinJerset
November 18th, 2012, 07:45 PM
While I'm not a Twinkies fan I do love white Wonder Bread toast for the tomato, lettuce and bacon sandwiches I make every summer when the Jersey tomatos are ripe. Another old custom down the drain. May in Jersey

buckeyequilter
November 18th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I use to love Hostess Ding-Dongs. But I gave all that sweet stuff up a long time ago. I can't remember the last time I ate a twinkie! But it is still sad to see Hostess go away.

I have some ding dongs in there too.....ate one last night. My favorite hostess snack is the orange cupcake YUM!

AnnieC
November 18th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I live in Southside Virginia and I shop at what we call the Bread Store. It is all from Hostess bakeries, mostly day old and the prices have been fantastic for residents for years. They will be closing and now we are wondering what we shall do. In grocery stores bread is two dollars a loaf and higher.
I say freeze what you have and wait for the prices to go higher, a true capitalist! God bless America.

Bubby
November 18th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I hate to see Hostess go...they've been around all my life. DH has a thing for Zingers and I grew up on Wonder Bread with the "red, yellow and blue balloons printed on the label." For those too young to remember, that was the Wonder Bread commercial for decades!

auntiemern
November 18th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I really can't see them closing for good. Their market is to big for that. Hoping it is just temporary.

Nursmate2
November 18th, 2012, 10:38 PM
There are several big companies looking to purchase Hostess. I fo hope it happens to save the jobs. I worked in a hostess factory in college at night on the cleaning crew so I have a soft spot :-). I will miss the sno-balls so much; all those lovely seasonal colors.

Lindagie
November 18th, 2012, 10:44 PM
If they sell, I hope an American Company buys it; need to keep jobs here in the USA. I found one DingDong in the freezer; couldn't find any around here last week; darn, they are my absolute favorite!

Sandy Navas
November 18th, 2012, 11:52 PM
I have some ding dongs in there too.....ate one last night. My favorite hostess snack is the orange cupcake YUM!

Oh, my favorite, to . . . although I haven't had one for years.

auntiemern
November 19th, 2012, 12:04 AM
you would think that the employees would have just been happy to have a well paying job and the benefits they already had, in this economy. Now, because they wouldn't accept the contract being offered to them they are now unemployed. SMH. Little Debbie sales are gonna be booming.

MayinJerset
November 19th, 2012, 04:02 PM
From what I read many employees did accept the contract and went back to work but the CEO's closed it anyway. I don't know much about this as the orginal post here was the first I heard about Hostess closing. I would have grabbed a few boxes of Ding Dongs if I knew, not really crazy about them but now that they might not be available I'm craving them. Also we watch re-runs of The Closer and Brenda always had a drawer full of them to snack on.

buckeyequilter
November 19th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I was at the store yesterday and saw a few packs of doughnuts. But when I came back around on the other end there were 7 single serving packs of banana nut muffins.....they now reside in my cupboard. Not a DingDong or orange cupcake in the store. I acutally hope Krispy Kreme buys them (they make the best doughnuts)....but they weren't on the list of potential buyers.

KatiesQuiltingCorner
November 19th, 2012, 04:18 PM
you would think that the employees would have just been happy to have a well paying job and the benefits they already had, in this economy. Now, because they wouldn't accept the contract being offered to them they are now unemployed. SMH. Little Debbie sales are gonna be booming.

You might want to read this post from a Wonder Bread Employee.... the media is spinning this thing like it's all the Unions fault. There is more to this story than meets the eye.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/18/1162786/-Inside-the-Hostess-Bankery

I'd be pretty pissed if a company filed for bankruptcy and was able to take any portion of my pension to balance their books and not have to pay it back.

madampolo
November 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM
There are always two sides of a story, and there is no telling who to believe. My experience with Unions, however, has not been favorable, so I lean on believing the company's side.

auntiemern
November 19th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I have been on the employees side of corporate and union contract battles. DH has been a member of the UAW for over 40 yrs. He was out of work for 3 yrs because of contract breakdowns. They had to take pay cuts and make concessions as well. I am not saying that the employees should have just let the corporation rake them over the coals, but in this economy, and the rate of unemployment they, the union officials, should have not let it get this far. And If what I have been reading is correct, several offers were turned down by union officials, without ever being put to a vote by the membership. That is the problem with unions from my perspective. The union officials make arbitrary decisions on behalf of the membership with out it ever being put to a membership vote. I have 2 grown step children that are currently facing foreclosure on their homes, because they can't find jobs. Just saying that even if you have to take a pay cut, it is better than not working at all. No one is ever going to know the entire truth because, union and membership say one thing and the corporation says another. But from where I sit $12 an hour is better than no income.
You might want to read this post from a Wonder Bread Employee.... the media is spinning this thing like it's all the Unions fault. There is more to this story than meets the eye.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/18/1162786/-Inside-the-Hostess-Bankery

I'd be pretty pissed if a company filed for bankruptcy and was able to take any portion of my pension to balance their books and not have to pay it back.

KatiesQuiltingCorner
November 20th, 2012, 12:36 PM
I have been on the employees side of corporate and union contract battles. DH has been a member of the UAW for over 40 yrs. He was out of work for 3 yrs because of contract breakdowns. They had to take pay cuts and make concessions as well. I am not saying that the employees should have just let the corporation rake them over the coals, but in this economy, and the rate of unemployment they, the union officials, should have not let it get this far. And If what I have been reading is correct, several offers were turned down by union officials, without ever being put to a vote by the membership. That is the problem with unions from my perspective. The union officials make arbitrary decisions on behalf of the membership with out it ever being put to a membership vote. I have 2 grown step children that are currently facing foreclosure on their homes, because they can't find jobs. Just saying that even if you have to take a pay cut, it is better than not working at all. No one is ever going to know the entire truth because, union and membership say one thing and the corporation says another. But from where I sit $12 an hour is better than no income.

I think it was mismanagement from both sides (Union and Corporate) along with the US changing it's eating habits. People weren't buying Hostess products as much so they could never dig their way out of the debt they got saddled with after the first bankruptcy. They never really changed their business structure to reflect the change in eating habits.

Doesn't matter now - looks like those jobs might be heading to Mexico or China depending on who buys out the company. One more nail in the US manufacturing coffin.

bakermom
November 20th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I think there were bad decisions on both sides. I understand they are back in some kind of negotiations.
Another factor I think is the buying habits have changed over the years. I work in a food service industry and have seen our market/sales shift alot over the years. People are going more toward whole grains, less sugar etc. Remember the lowcarb diets that were big a number of years ago? Really took a chunk out of the bread business.