PDA

View Full Version : A Honey of a deal!

Jean Sewing Machine
November 18th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Yesterday, while at my LQS for a seminar, I saw one of my former instructors looking for some fabric. She was looking for a religious fabric for some rosary cases. I remembered having yards of angel and church fabric left over from my days at the Catholic School where I made curtains for the classroom windows. I told her she could have it for her project, as I'm looking to reduce my stash.

She and her hubby came over last night to pick up the fabric, and in exchange, they gave me two bottles of the most delicious honey from their own bees. I'm enjoying it on my bagel for breakfast as we speak! As I said, it was a honey of a deal!

RiverMomm
November 18th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Perfect deal! I bet that honey tastes just a bit sweeter than normal honey.

I did something similar yesterday too. I have tons of yarn in my stash from my knitting stage last year. (If I saw yarn and it was on sale . . . well you know the drill). My friend's granddaughter is making yarn dolls to give for Christmas and needed yarn. I said I could fix her up with yarn to make a nation of yarn dolls. The grandmother was so excited, she offered to trade with me. She had just acquired some beautiful purses through her company.

Yeah, guess what the ladies in my family are getting for Christmas! Neat purses with minkee scarves tucked inside. I am soooo jazzed since this year we are on a tight budget for gifts.

sewbizzy
November 18th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Jean, it was so wonderful of you to donate your fabric...it was a perfect match...and you got a sweet reward!!!

toggpine
November 18th, 2012, 01:51 PM
A sweet deal for both of you!

GrammaBabs
November 18th, 2012, 02:25 PM
And this is what make "Jean,,, Jean"... may you always stay who you are and be blessed in return for it!!!!! Yummmmmmmm...:)B

shannonsaulter
November 18th, 2012, 02:30 PM
That's wonderful!!!

lilmouse
November 18th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I am happy for both of you....yesterday a neighbor came by; we get together about once a week or so, usually at my place and have coffee and chat...she is a naturalized citizen and her English isn't so good, plus years ago she was involved in a car accident and it has affected her brain and memory a little but we manage to communicate quite well. Anyway, she comes by yesterday and tells me she feels so bad, we are always drinking coffee at my house so she brought me a pound of Folgers coffee...now I love that coffee but I can't afford it anymore, I buy the house brand at Aldi's and it is fine! So I get spoiled a lot here too, and she will take me out to breakfast once or twice a month...and will not let me pay anything...not even a tip....and I have tried...only fair...nope..won't have any part of it and she is on a budget just like I am.....some very generous souls out there....and Jean, I would have done the same thing...most of my overflow now goes to my daughter as she makes clothes for the kids and stuff for the house....and with six kids she needs all the help she can get.....

Bubby
November 18th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Bartering is awesome! I barter homemade chile rellenos with Molly's vet for his services! My daughter barters her lasagna for brakes for her car! Honey for leftover fabric was quite a good deal!!!

cyndiofthevortex
November 18th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Jean, that's a great story. She repaid your generosity in an unexpected and delicious way.

In exchange for our coralling her animals back into their pens when they escape, our neighbor gives us a fresh turkey every year from her farm. She always gives us her largest since we have a lot of people to feed and they are usually near 35 lbs. This year they were all small and she gave us a 29 pounder...and a 24 pounder!

Jean Sewing Machine
November 18th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Jean, that's a great story. She repaid your generosity in an unexpected and delicious way.

In exchange for our coralling her animals back into their pens when they escape, our neighbor gives us a fresh turkey every year from her farm. She always gives us her largest since we have a lot of people to feed and they are usually near 35 lbs. This year they were all small and she gave us a 29 pounder...and a 24 pounder!Wow, that's quite a nice gift!

auntiemern
November 18th, 2012, 06:41 PM
How wonderful!!!! There surely is a special place in Heaven for people like you, that give so freely, and expect nothing in return. You my DF are a rare breed in this crazy world. Enjoy your bagel with fresh honey. Sounds like a wonderful deal to me.

CrazyMtnLady
November 18th, 2012, 07:14 PM
SWEET! I love honey. The last time we were in Indiana...2 years ago we bought a gallon from a family friend. Some of the best honey I've tasted. Will have to put in an order for the next time we go back to Indiana...probably 3 years. Hope what I have lasts that long.

Monique
November 19th, 2012, 07:46 PM
That is a sweet deal indeed.