PDA

View Full Version : So please tell me

Lonna
November 17th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Am I out of my mind or do I stand a chance on finishing a lap quilt by tomorrow. Tomorrow is my Mothers 80th birthdy and at the last minute I deside to make my mother a lap quilt. I am going to use the big star pattern. I have 2 stars all done other then snowballing the corners. The other two the rows are sewing together. I think I am only going to use four stars as this is just a little throw to cover her lap and legs when watching tv. I still need to cut the squares for the snowballing but that is about it. Also how would you quilt this about the only thing I have done is stitch in the ditch I need to find something that will be quick and easy. Oh and I don't get off of work until 2 this afternoon. So will I make it or not. Hate to give her an unfinished quilt may have to and let her know it will be finished next weekend.

pcbatiks
November 17th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Hi Lonna, I would do what you can on your Mom's quilt.....then wrap it with a note saying "To Mom with Love.....a work in progress." After she oohhh's and aaahhh's over it bring it home and finish it. That's what I did with my Mom's stained glass wall hanging last Christmas. The project was more involved than I realized and I didn't have it ready. So I wrapped it with the note......I had enough done for her to see what it would look like. She was very happy with it........just as your mom will be will her lap quilt. I don't think she will mind if you aren't quite done with it. She will appreciate the thought and work that you put into it.

Claire Hallman
November 17th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I have made one with 4 big star squares, sashed it with cornerstones. I did SITD on the pinwheel part of it then did some FMQ swirls on the rest. I don't know about the timing because I did 16 other squares at the same time but just do as much as you can and wrap it up unfinished with a hug and a promise.:icon_happy:

lilmouse
November 17th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I agree with the other ladies....if you can't FMQ, what about echo quilting all of your smaller blocks.....going a 1/4 in around each block on the inside...quick and easy....done and ready to finish!

auntiemern
November 17th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I agree with lilmouse. Just stitch 1/4 inch inside of each block, and do the same at 3/4 on the outside. That is what I would do, especially if you aren't comfortable FMQ. I did 1/4" on either side of my purses, and they looked very nice like that. With such a small project it would finish up fast. That way you would not be crossing any lines and have very little chance of causing puckers.

Lonna
November 17th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Ok so all four blocks are done, snowballing is done. Now to do the sashing with cornerstones which is also something new for me so off I go to try and figure this one out.

Claire Hallman
November 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Great progress.
I just posted a picture of mine if you want to take a look.

Sandy Navas
November 17th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Pulling for you, Lonna, but don't sweat it if you aren't completely finished. Don't stay up too late!! And remember, don't sweat the petty things . . . or something like that.