PDA

View Full Version : SO out of shape!!! How about you?

Gayle8675309
November 16th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I need to exercise to lose weight, I need to lose about 75 pounds to be a good weight for my height. So I bought an aerobics tape and used it for the first time.

OMG I am out of shape!!! I was only able to do about 10 minutes of the tape. LOL. I am sooo sore today.

So about you all? What do you do for exercise?

Gayle

buckeyequilter
November 16th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I haven't had a shape since my first kid was born. I actually like doing aerobics...maybe I should get back into that. Maybe I'll take up Wii golfing...DH would love that...he likes to play golf on there.

Gayle8675309
November 16th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I want to get a Wii, a nurse was telling me that they have good exercise program for Wii. And that Dance Party looks like fun too.

Gayle

Sandy Navas
November 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Gayle - I agree that I haven't had a curvy (sexy) shape for quite a few years - but believe me, I do accept the fact that ROUND is a shape. Since I've had my bionic surgeries I am not up to all the jumping and moving around like I should - I wanted to teach the granddaughters how to skip - do you think I could get my fanny off the ground (sorry for choice of words to my British friends). My DD has lost 57 pounds this year by eliminating ALL grain products from her diet. She also eliminated all genetically modified foods and says she's feeling better than she has for years. With (now counting #10) pregnancies under her belt you can imagine the 'baby fat' she had stored. She's looking fantastic. She is not able to exercise because of severe nerve damage following one birth and severe and constant pain . . . (*don't anyone ask me why she keeps getting pregnant - I thought when Al quit helping with the dishes that was what caused the lack of pregnancy in my house . . . )

Monique
November 16th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I don't exercise much either. I have a bad leg which limits what I can do and now a bad ankle. I have started on a weight loss plan. I am on a low fat regime. No butter, no cheese, no chips that kind of thing. Fruits and veggies. I measure everything. Portion control is a big problem for me. If you need more information, let me know. I would be only too glad to help. Maybe together we can lose some weight. I also started a journal and write down everything I put in my mouth.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 16th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Yep, me too. I have a WiiFit, and it is gathering dust. The grandkids like to use it when they are staying with me, so at least someone gets a benefit from it. Personally I'd rather sit on my butt and sew!

Lisapc
November 16th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I was a size 18/20 when my I was 30. I went on weight watchers online. It took about a month before I truly figured out the points and about 3 months before I realized that my weight issue wasn't just the food. It was me never thinking of myself for anything. It took 18 months to lose 79.5 lbs. I kept it off for about a year and a half and then got pregnant. I gained 20 pounds total and my son was 6 weeks early. I did nothing to lose the weight and by the time he was 1 I was 4 pounds over what I was when I got pregnant. Then suddenly I started gaining weight I was doing nothing different except gaining about 10 pound a year for 3 yrs. Then hubby got sick (cancer), he is fine now but I am struggling with the weight. I have signed up with ww online again but just can't seem to think of myself yet. I am so busy doing things, I don't do any exercise. My treadmill which I once loved is moving into my sewing room and hopefully that will help me think of me again. I used to walk 5-6 days a week. I am stuck at a 12-14 and being 5'5" and large chested I just look fat. I am fat. I now have 35 pounds to lose to where I feel good and I miss that feeling. I am 42 and want to feel good about my body again.

So you are not alone. Many of us struggle with weight and body image. I am honestly going to start with 10 minutes a day when my treadmill moves into my sewing room. SUNDAY!

shannonsaulter
November 16th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I have lost major weight over the last 8 yrs my high is 460 and I am now 210-220 bobble that 10 lbs..I do alot of walking and stairs..drink lots of water and have a wii..we bought the zumba for wii but its more laughter than anything..I just have no rythmn..I did not do crash diets or surgery just hard work
Heres a pic from a while back when I was 300+ on the left and last yr in Australia at the Blue Mountains...

buckeyequilter
November 16th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I forgot that I have the WiiFit too....I think the reason I forgot is because I don't use it. I have several aerobic videos, I love the Richard Simmons ones. So I think I'm going to dig those out and get busy.

grannyann
November 16th, 2012, 02:52 PM
The cheapest and best way to exercise is to to just get out and walk .Start maybe 15 min. at a time then just increase as you go along.
I walk 2 miles every morning and then try to get a mile in after lunch.I will be 70 in Feb and I love walking even this morning it was 25 out side
but I just bundle up and go for it.
I wish you luck and hope you don't get discourage.

promqueen
November 16th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Gayle - I think we all could lose weight. I love to walk but if I don't do it first thing in the morning I forget about it and that happens a lot. If I had a buddy to check in with me to make sure I did my walk for that day I would more than likely stick to it because I know someone will be checking. Anybody game? Mary Ann

nana margaret
November 16th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I need to be another 3 foot taller to be a good height for my weight! :icon_happy:

a1angiem
November 16th, 2012, 07:38 PM
It's hard to lose weight when you want to be quilting! I have so little time to do soooo many things that I end up spending all my free time behind the sewing machine or computer! I figure next September I will start really 'digging in' to the exercise & healthy eating as my kids will be gone M-F and I can use the treadmill without waking them up and then have more time in the day when they are not home interrupting me every 5 minutes! I'm really looking forward to some 'me' time and being semi-retired from daily mom duties!!!!

CrazyMtnLady
November 16th, 2012, 07:47 PM
It is so hard to lose weight. I have done it over and over and over and over.................... in 1998 I weighed 285 pounds. When I lost my husband I went down to 125. I am now back up to almost 200. I don't exercise but I am very active taking care of the dogs, cats and horses. I walk to my mailbox but not every day.. that is like walking at least 3 football fields. My thyroid is Kapoot!
Have your thyroid check...you may find is it is non-active and you go on meds for it you will drop weight fast. I just haven't been able to afford the meds.

Bubby
November 16th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I never had a weight issue most of my life...I'm sure that was because I was a cross-country runner through high school and college. When I turned 50 I trained for a half marathon and did it!! That was almost 16 years ago and I haven't kept myself in very good shape since then. Now I'm diabetic and have trouble maintaining a healthy weight. The last picture I saw of me I thought I looked like Humpty Dumpty....now I carry my extra weight around my middle. I'm a small girl and can't carry much extra baggage without it looking really bad...like now! I do a lot of hard, physical work and if that's not enough, that's too bad. At some age we need to allow ourselves to slow down!!

alliek
November 16th, 2012, 09:14 PM
All of you have given me inspiration to try again.. Exercise, that is the key plus a healthy diet. Thanks Gayle, and wow Shannon, you are an inspiration! I too have a lovely treadmill in my bedroom, which holds the throw pillows from the bed at night.:(:icon_happy: I'll get on for five minutes or so, but there is no reason I can't walk my lovely cul-de-sac with no traffic ! Gonna do it!

HandsOffItsMine
November 16th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I need to be another 3 foot taller to be a good height for my weight! :icon_happy:

Ohhhh Margaret, I so needed that laugh today!!! Bless you! Ruby

buckeyequilter
November 16th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Yeah.....after reading all this...I think through the winter I will do aerobics and Wii Fit and then when the weather gets warmer and the days get longer I'll go out and walk after work (I am so not a morning person, getting up at 5:30 is early enough). It's dark when I go to work and almost dark by the time I get home from work.

amber1957
November 16th, 2012, 09:32 PM
It took me 2 years to lose 70 pounds. I did weight watchers and walking. My suggestion is to find what works for you. I still have 30 pounds to go and I'm not working on losing as much as I should; but, I still walk 45 minutes 3 days a week.

HandsOffItsMine
November 16th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Gayle Dear!

This is how I did with the video...I laid on my side on the sofa watching it for the 45 minutes and I was EXHAUSTED! Yes, just watching them Sweat to the Oldies or was it Jane Fonda? Anywhooooo! I couldn't do more than 10 minutes of anyone of them.

When I belonged to a gym, the best machinery was the treadmill. You set it at a speed, you had to do it or you fell flat on your AS* or face, take your pick. lol Anything you had to do 'till it hurt, oh please, I already stopped before it hurt. Yes, say wimp!

No gym around here in Makaha or Waianae. I started to walk, just a normal speed, keeping in mind that I would have to walk back up hill the last .25 mile. First week I did 45 to an hour - 1.5 miles, then I increased my over all to 2 miles within the same time frame and now I can do 3 miles in an hour if we don't run into folks to talk to. If we drive to Ko O'lina with paths along the lagoons right next to the water (cooler), after a year of conditioning...I can do about 4 miles in an hour. Yes, me with Fibro. :)

Don't give up, do a little each day, then add a little more the next. It will add up over time. :)

Gayle8675309
November 16th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Wow! I'm surprised at how many of you struggle with weight issues also. Makes me feel better somehow. :)

Someone mentioned getting my thyroid checked...I can't, I had it removed 8 years ago when I had thyroid cancer. I'm on meds now (of course), so that's not the problem, or at least it's not a problem I can fix. No thyroid is no thyroid.

I'm not a walker either...just don't like to go for a walk. I'm much more of an aerobics person. I might buy a Zumba DVD and try that too. I've heard good things about Zumba, that it is fun to do.

Gayle

Claire Hallman
November 16th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I really enjoyed Zumba when I was doing it at a local place last year but the teacher quit with her day classes and other than walking occasionally I have become a slug. I need to lose 20-25 pounds, I just need to make myself get up and walk and push away from the table. Ya' not gonna happen anytime soon.:o

EnumclawGramma
November 16th, 2012, 10:05 PM
This was on the daily deal today and it's my two bits on this whole weight issue:

It's all about image, right? I like to walk, but not alone. Out where I am bears can be a concern, none of my dogs would do a thing if I encountered one. I've done Richard Simmons....years ago, and it worked. Weight Watchers worked really well for me, but my biggest problem is you've got to eat. Sounds funny but it's true. I've done the Wii dance game with my DGD. She couldn't pay attention because she was too busy laughing at me! It's true though, gotta find something to balance out the time I spend at the sewing machine!

Sandy Navas
November 16th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I never had a weight issue most of my life...I'm sure that was because I was a cross-country runner through high school and college. When I turned 50 I trained for a half marathon and did it!! That was almost 16 years ago and I haven't kept myself in very good shape since then. Now I'm diabetic and have trouble maintaining a healthy weight. The last picture I saw of me I thought I looked like Humpty Dumpty....now I carry my extra weight around my middle. I'm a small girl and can't carry much extra baggage without it looking really bad...like now! I do a lot of hard, physical work and if that's not enough, that's too bad. At some age we need to allow ourselves to slow down!!

You remind me of the couple who died and went to Heaven together. Their experience far exceeded their grandest expectations. The wife told the husband that she was so happy they were there to which he replied "If you hadn't made me diet and eat all those bran muffins we could have been here ten years ago!"

buckeyequilter
November 16th, 2012, 11:21 PM
I will make sure to not eat ironized yeast.

HandsOffItsMine
November 17th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Now Zumba I like because I like to Dance, they don't call me the Disco Queen for nothing. lol

Did that in Cali, Zander would crack up when he saw his Oma working out behind glass at the gym. He could see me from the kids area. :)

They do have that on Saturday's at the High School gym for cheap but then I would have to give up my lounging...Really! Ugh, I'll walk during the week. :P

Genny
November 17th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I don't do anything for exercise which is why I'm 30 lbs over weight.

dizzyLiz
November 17th, 2012, 01:44 AM
I too struggle with my weight. Are any of you ladies part of the weight loss group here in the forum. I posted there 10/23. Made 2 simple changes since then-- increase fruits and vegetables and at least 64 oz of water. I'm down 12 lbs. Please join the group. There has not been a post since mine. I honestly thought no one else was interested in this.

Musical_Starling
November 17th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Well I can't relate to this post at all. I mean, I am in perfect shape. Round IS a shape! Besides, I am not overweight, I am undertall.

And on that note, I need to invent a sarcasm font... lol

K. McEuen
November 17th, 2012, 03:15 AM
My oldest sister has a Wii Fit. It makes me laugh when she calls me and tells me she was doing it, until she crashed her elbow into the wall. For some reason she has her TV set up across the narrowest part of the room and doesn't have enough room to move. Somehow I don't think that falls under the "no pain, no gain" saying.

auntiemern
November 17th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I am with Jean. But I also have a hard time excercising to to physical limitations. I have lost a significant amount of weight the past couple of years, and really can't afford to lose any more. My weight loss was due to stress, so I do not recommend that to any one. Some people eat with stress, but I am the opposite. Have a hard time forcing myself to eat. DH makes me, even when I don't feel like it. No I am not anorexic or bulemic, I just go through bouts that food just isn't appealing to me. If not for junk food, I would probably weigh under 100 #. First thing to go on me, when under stressful situation is my appetite. Last time I went to doc I had lost another 13#. He was not happy. However, I was quite (for me) heavy when my oldest GD was born. Did do a diet, and got where I wanted to be, but soon after put it all back on. Then when my world was turned upside down, the pounds just melted away. Not a healthy way to lose weight. Eat moderately. Several small meals a day is better than 3 lg ones. Try to avoid foods with high fat and high carbs. Complex carbs are the best for you. Excercise if you can. Other than this I have no advice.

MRoy
November 17th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I lost 40 pounds two years ago with Weight Watchers and walking 3 miles at least 3-4 days a week. I maintained the loss until last Oct or Nov, when illness in the family and stress caused the "emotional eating" monster to rear her ugly head again. Now I have 10 pounds to lose to get back to my goal weight and I've not been the least bit motivated to exercise, not even walking. I have an exercise bike taking up space in the living room, I just need to figure out how to get my laptop propped up on the handlebars so I can pedal and chat at the same time. Honestly, I really don't have a good excuse!

Loonwatcher
November 17th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Gayle, don't over do it. Start slowly so your tortured body doesn't make you quit. You can work through smaller aches and pains but the big ones will make you stop. Besides you could injure yourself if you jump in too hard. Baby steps. I know because I'm just starting (AGAIN) to loose the 40 lbs. I need to (AGAIN). But I'm huffing and puffing my way through. Just need to get my eating under control. Good luck on oru fitness trip. It will be worth it.

Meli
November 18th, 2012, 02:44 AM
I weigh about 200lbs. The good news is I haven't gainted any weight for the last 2 years. The bad news is I haven't lost any weight. About 6 years ago I discovered the most amazing fitness activity called Nordic Walking. I have activity induced asthma and osteoarthritis in both knees. Hard to find an activity I can do well. I can do this for hours!!! In fact, for a number of years, I was teaching it. While I was doing that, I dropped down to about 160and was in fantastic shape. Then I had this year where every few months something happened. I hyper-extended my knee, which took 2 months to recover. Then I sprained the same knee, which took 2 months to recover. Then I got pneumonia, which takes FOREVER to recover from! And just when I thought things were getting back to normal, I had major surgery, which took me through the end of the year. By which point I was out of the habit. I have not been able to get back into the fitness groove since then. I do have a friend that I'm supposed to start exercising with soon. We'll see how it goes.

dwil23
November 18th, 2012, 04:28 AM
I have been overweight my entire life. Six years ago i got really serious about loosing weight when my son became engaged and I realized all of the dresses available in my size were made for older ladies. So, I cut back (way back) on what I was eating, but didn't changed my diet - just ate less of everything. I also started using the treadmill. The pounds melted off! I lost a little over 50 and got down to a size 12, which I was okay with. After the wedding, my treadmill stopped working and I started walking 3 miles a day. I maintained my weight for sometime. Then after my divorce and moving in with my sister, I let the stress get to me. I also got out of the habits I had been in and slowly the weight started coming back. A year and a half ago, I injured my knee, which severely limited my activity. By the time I had my second surgery in August, I was only 21 pounds away from my highest weight, wearing size 16-18. Since the surgery, my weight has gone back down some - about 7 pounds without me trying, but I know I have got to get moving and get the weight off again.

Meli - I would love to hear more about "Nordic Walking" -guess I can google it.

olequilter
November 18th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Don't stop doing an exercise because you get sore muscles -- that is just Lactic Acid. You need to do the dvd again and the sore muscles will go away and you will build muscles. If you have a workout dvd use it. So what if you can't do the whole thing the first 20 times. Keep going. An aerobic workout is great. If you enjoy aerobics then do aeorbics. You will not regret working out. Some people like Yoga personally I prefer Kickboxing. I've Kickboxed for over 40 years.

Gayle8675309
November 18th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Wow, again I'm surprised at how many of you struggle with weight issues. I'm a size 20 and it seems like most women I see are smaller than me. Maybe it just feels that way?

I have done the dvd again, I can't do more than a few minutes, but I'm going to keep at it.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Gayle