PDA

View Full Version : Binding: Is it as scary as it sounds?

EmsMom
October 17th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Hi everyone,

I am very new to quilting. I have only made one (a rag quilt I made recently for my dd). I had a great time making that quilt and can see that quilting could become addicting LOL

I have been doing some research online and trying to learn everything I can about quilting. Someone suggested the Disappearing 9 Patch for my next quilt. It seems like that would be doable - with one exception: the binding. I've watching a few tutorials and read a few things but it just seems so intimidating....

janluna
October 17th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Have you seen Jennys tutorial? She makes it seem easy. There are two one is for the binding tool and one is just binding. Look at the tutorials here. It will make you feel better.

EmsMom
October 17th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Thanks. I will check out the tutorials.

Shirley
October 17th, 2010, 09:11 AM
HI,
I like your rag quilt! Love the colors. I have made them also.
The binding is not as hard as it may seem. Give it a try and you will see. The tutorials are great help.

quiltingtrish
October 17th, 2010, 10:22 AM
You can do it! Don't be like I WAS and waste time fretting about if you can do it or not.
If I think I would have a problem with a pattern or think a block was too hard even if it was listed as an easy one, I would procrastinate about it and put it off until 'later'.
How about if you watch the tutorials - and if you have any fabric hanging around that may be extra, make a 9 patch using maybe something like 5" squares or larger and practice your binding on that. That way you get your practice in before you attempt a big quilt and could end up with a small table topper or wall hanging. It would be a good size to practice your quilting on too.

Good luck - I'm sure you can do it!

Hugs,

jrchapman
October 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
It's really not scary at all. I find it quite relaxing, one of the few bits of quilting you can do in front of the TV! Every time I make a quilt I find that the scariest bit is the first cut into the fabric. Gives me the colliwobbles just thinking about it...

Blondie
October 17th, 2010, 10:57 AM
It's really not scary at all. I find it quite relaxing, one of the few bits of quilting you can do in front of the TV! Every time I make a quilt I find that the scariest bit is the first cut into the fabric. Gives me the colliwobbles just thinking about it...

You are so right, JR, and oh so wise. Trish.
Binding is the cinch and I have can help cover a multitude of sin. Jenny really does making the binding EZ

Welcome back JR. I missed you.

ginampls
October 17th, 2010, 11:45 AM
i love doing the binding.... it is the best part.. for me anyway... at first it is kinda scary but when you go to anchore it down... i get to thinking about all i had been through with the piecing the day i did this... and now the anticpation to have it done. and the getting it all done.... the last stitch... nice...

and jen and her hens... do make it the best... see you can do it... since this is your first one just go ahead. and do your best... if it is not perfect... who cares... see i am still learning too. each time it gets better... every time it is a thrill.

jrchapman
October 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM
It's good to be back Blondie, I'm escaping my uni work!

The disappearing nine-patch is really fun because it's a really quick and easy block to make but you can do so many different things with it depending on how you rotate the cut up blocks. It's especially easy if you use charm packs because you don't have to cut any squares.

Here's some projects from around the forum, they're all disappearing nine-patch using charm packs but they're very different:

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=149&d=1266453301

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33&d=1265250902

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1432&d=1284913842

janluna
October 17th, 2010, 02:07 PM
See Ems mom, you have come to the right place. Everyone here will be there for you. You can do this. If I can, You can. hugs, Jan

Laura108
October 17th, 2010, 03:36 PM
It's good to be back Blondie, I'm escaping my uni work!

The disappearing nine-patch is really fun because it's a really quick and easy block to make but you can do so many different things with it depending on how you rotate the cut up blocks. It's especially easy if you use charm packs because you don't have to cut any squares.

Here's some projects from around the forum, they're all disappearing nine-patch using charm packs but they're very different:

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=149&d=1266453301

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33&d=1265250902

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1432&d=1284913842

How very talented you are. Incredible work :)

hillbilly
October 17th, 2010, 04:53 PM
It seems that everyone gets very worried about the binding!!

One thing that confuses people...bias binding vs straight grain

AND...the two binding tools available. One is to help cut bias binding while the other is more for helping when attaching.

Look around; ask questions and you'll get lots of help!

Lola2Ace
October 18th, 2010, 11:13 AM
The only part of binding that has intimidated me is joining those 2 ends. But, I ordered the binding tool from MSQC and the tutorial is always right here, so I will NOT let it get me anymore! That being said, I just have to get something to the binding stage so I can put it to good use!
I do love to hand stitch the binding to the back, so I always know if I get through joining those ends, I am then at my favorite part of it.
I actually finished my Quilts For Kids quilt in a hotel room earlier this summer when I took my DD on a road trip and made it through joining those ends very well, and this was before I found MSQC and this forum, but it will be tons easier now!
Lola

EmsMom
October 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks everyone for all the responses! I'm going to ask for lots of charm packs for Christmas and my birthday LOL I have a feeling I could very easily become addicted to quilting!