PDA

View Full Version : Update on Sandy's Survivors

MayinJerset
November 12th, 2012, 04:19 AM
For many of us once our power was restored we began to 'get back to normal'. Not so for Sandy's survivors. There is a huge collection and distriubtion center in my town, it is set up in two huge adjoining empty stores in a strip mall. RAINE is a local community group who is gathering supplies and volunteers for the center. Yesterday their website said diapers were needed. Good thing I checked at the center before buying boxes of diapers and wipes because the site was overloaded with clothes, food, water, etc They weren't accepting any donations at that time as they were expecting 4 big trailer loads of supplies and was running out of space for donations. Hundreds of people were on line in the parkihg lot waiting to get into the center. From the other end of the center people were leaving with huge construction grade garbage bags filled with items from the center. Spoke to an official about best place to donate quilts, he said to hold off for awhile as the quilts will be needed when suvirvors are placed in more pernamant lodgings. I'm sure this scene is taking place in many, many towns in Jersey.

RAINE was one of the first responders with food, shelter, clothes and help with clean up, They were also feeding the first responding crews at a local school, think it was about 1800 hot meals that the volunteers served in one day as a thank you to the NJ and out of state crews. Now the big groups like the Red Cross are on the scene to take over but we will still need community groups like RAINE after the big guys leave. Finding out what and where things are going on is difficult so for now we're leaving it up to the groups on the scene and will take our clues from them. Local diner is having a $10 buffet next Monday night with all proceeds going directly to RAINE. I really don't like this diner's food since it upgraded from a homey diner to a first class restauarant with a fireplace, but DH and will most likely attend the buffet dinner. May in Jersey

bakermom
November 12th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Thanks for the update. Sadly for some, life will not be "normal" ever again

Winniesfriend
November 12th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Thank you for the update, we do not get any more news of the area in South Australia.

lilmouse
November 12th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Thank you for the update!

aliaslaceygreen
November 12th, 2012, 10:13 AM
May, I am glad that things are starting to normalize for your area. I am on Facebook with so many on SI and NJ where things are just horrendous... I purposefully post/link/share a few things every day, because as we all know, the news cycle on disaster is far shorter than the disaster recovery. What I am hearing from people is even if they say that power has been restored, they mean its available. Not that you may have it. People without homes? No power. People who haven't had an electrical engineer qualify their homes? No power... And power is the least.
This is a video someone put up on Youtube. It hurts, for sure....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yudk_4I-slQ

CrazyMtnLady
November 12th, 2012, 10:21 AM
May thanks for the update. It is such a tragedy what has happened and I know a lot of promises were made after the storm and before the election. But those promises are not being kept. My heart goes out to all those people.

aliaslaceygreen
November 12th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Donna, I don't know that those promises are not being kept...I think it is so much deeper than that. The infrastructure of NYC is just so old, and very complex. Remember, New York is 5 separate boroughs, 4 of which are ISLANDS. That ConEd and LIPA (electric companies, not government agencies) want to say they have restored power is obvious....but, like any little clip of info, they are not saying everything. The people I know on SI are satisfied with the response from the government, by and large.

Of course, they want MORE. Sooner. That is human nature. But there are hundreds of thousands of people affected. More affected people times ten than the entire population of the area I live in currently. It's just a LOT of everything....

MayinJerset
November 12th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks Trish for explaining, many people aren't aware of how huge New York City is. I grew up in Brooklyn which is only 1 part of NYC, it's bigger than most US cities and more populated and Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island are an island. You can't imagine what such a high tide did on all sides of that island. Not an easy place to get everyone back on line. Same here in Jersey, only things 'protecting' the Jersey shore were long barrier islands that the unusually high tide just swept over.

Viewed the utube about Sandy, too many places too close to home like the sign on a fence about Union Beach. Union Beach is only a few blocks away from us across the highway. Maybe it's time for us to move as with beach towns pretty much gone we're now living along the shore.

Seeing what Sandy left behind with homes gone, utiltity poles and huge trees down and crisscrossing each other with live wires, beach sand covering roads and streets it's a wonder the recovery been able to begin at all.

Quiltlover
November 12th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Trish, I live in a small town in the deep South and yet I very much agree with you. There are just soooo many people and so much damage that it is overwhelming the capabilities of even the masses of volunteers and utility workers, etc. They can't turn power on until it is safe to do. It's just going to take a good while to get to that point. My heart goes out to those in the midst of it all. Such a huge, heartbreaking situation. Would love to help but don't know how other than to donate.
I read in the Sunday paper of one lady in a high rise caring for her elderly husband without heat, water, etc. for the last two weeks. Don't know how they got by even. No one came to help until workers went floor by floor checking on residents. Have to say a prayer for people like that. Tough, tough times for so many.
Brenda

aliaslaceygreen
November 12th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Lol, May, when I lived on Staten Island WE shoveled out our streets, if we wanted to leave!!!

Brenda, ....yes.

When I said hundreds of thousands affected, I meant AFFECTED, like really Affected.
8 million people are affected with a lower case a.... tunnels, trains, buses, jobs.... the And Donate, but to the Red Cross, and money! Right now, it seems to be the thing they need most....Or, to Denino's Pizzeria and Tavern on Staten Island, where the employees there have been doing Operation Pizza Pie---Cooking and delivering food. (although the other day there was a call for soup, so they changed over to Pasta Fagioli for the day....) Like them on Facebook...
Here is a grass roots org that develped with their help.... http://www.crowdrise.com/statenstrong

May, I am sorry that some of those images are painful. They are to me, as well, even though the area hasn't been home for over a decade...

HandsOffItsMine
November 12th, 2012, 12:33 PM
May, thank you for keeping us updated.

We watched the 60 Minutes report on Bayshores, our hearts went out to them. One thing I did feel is that I would want to live in a neighborhood like that. Our La Verne neighborhood was close to that, with our wild fires we did many evacuations, took our elderly neighbors with us. Had the flames at the back door, we looked out for each other. But I don't think you would find that in many places in the USA any more. Those folks did miracle things for each other to get to safer places. Amazing and they want to rebuild!

For us on the outside, we can pray and send some $ to organizations that can help with food/items that are in need of now.

I hope you keep us in the loop with your first hand knowledge.

Huggers, Ruby

auntiemern
November 12th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the eye opener. It is just so tragic. My parents with through a major flood back in 82, and lost everything. My heart goes out to those that are still at a stand still. I will check out the sites mentioned, and do what I can to help. Please keep us updated. Prayers of all affected by Sandy.