PDA

View Full Version : I NEED TO VENT!

RFREE
November 8th, 2012, 08:15 AM
O.K. so I have been chewing on this since Monday night. Me and my DD went into town to eat.It was rainy cold and dark.I hate driving in the rain #1 let alone in the dark.Heck I hate driving any time anymore because of all the irresponsible drivers out there. Anyway low and behold we stop at a stop light and WHAMM we are rear ended! I didn't get mad or upset I just said "We've been hit!" We get out I call the law yatta yatta yatta.First off the cop pulls up gets out;never asks us for drivers licence insurance info or to see if anybody was drunk high hurt or anything else and informs us if it is no more than $500. damage they don't do a report.WHAT? This sounded wrong to me.I informed him the cost of fixing a vehicle now a days is outragious. Not to mention I haven't had my car but a couple months it is a 2010 Accord and hasn't got a scratch on it( I didn't tell him that last part) It buckled the other drivers front bumper and banged up my bumper UUUU Yea I want a report.Well that ticked him off so he gets our information sits in his police car while we stood in the rain in the highway no doubt while he puts our info on a note pad he had in his car.he asked me 3 times if my passenger had a drivers licence I told him 3 times she was 14 and was my daughter. He again asked me 3 times do I know her date of birth? I wanted to say NO YOU MORON I WASN'T PRESENT WHEN SHE WAS BORN!! But I told him 2 times DOB.I know you guys don't really know me or my demeanor but I am a calm laid back very none excitable person. But the more I think about how this cop thought I am stupid the more it pi--es me off! I ran by my insurance office and talked to them about it and she said no no no that ain't right. Oh yea did I mention he never volunteered his name either? WTH is wrong with people. I know I made him mad asking(politely I might add) him to fill out a report because his insurance not mine should cover the damage. I know it was raining and cold but really? We stood in the rain for a freakin hour waiting on this joker so it isn't like we weren't getting wet too. I am fuming.I am calling the sheriffs office today. All this cop said is Mrs. Free call the sheriffs office tomorrow and you can get a report from them.WELL EXCUSE ME!!! There is nothing in me that sais "Hey Rhonda you should pay for the damages that someone else caused out of your own pocket". And with that I have to get ready for work. Thanks for listening.
MAD IN KY
Rhonda

MRoy
November 8th, 2012, 08:29 AM
You have every reason to be upset Rhonda. The cop was lazy or maybe he knew the other driver and didn't want to write it up because of that, or both. It doesn't matter, there are no excuses for him. Hang in there and come here to vent anytime.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 8th, 2012, 09:12 AM
We had a bUrglury on our street which I witnessed. Two plain clothes policemen came to my door for information in an unmarked car, never showed any ID, one was wearing a badge on his hip, which he didn't volunteer to show. My husband had an accident and the po-po were very unprofessional in how they handled that. I can sure see why you were angry. If you hadn't gotten a police report, your insurance company would probably try to wiggle out of paying to fix yourcar.

Bubby
November 8th, 2012, 09:23 AM
I would be furious, too! Not wanting to write a report....too bad, you're entitled to a report and most likely one would be required by your insurance company for your claim! Even a tiny dent can cost more than $500 to repair! I'm glad you and your daughter weren't injured, Rhonda.

I had a bad accident in 2003 when a kid in a big truck was turning right and 'changed his mind' and turned left right in front of me. Long story short, my car hit him almost broadside, we went flying off the road and rolled three times. The kid who hit me called the cops and his parents. When the officer arrived he hugged the boy and then got into a huddle with the parents. He never asked if we were okay...just asked for my license and proof of insurance. He just ran for sheriff of our county and lost...not sorry about that!

Hopefully, today will be a better day for you. Hugs, Barb

quiltingtrish
November 8th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I'm so glad you two weren't hurt, but that is no excuse for him to not write up a report. You make sure you get a copy of it and write down everything you just wrote here too because a small fact or two might disappear in your mind, this way you have everything written down for yourself. I will pray for a better day for you. Again, I am so glad you and your daughter are ok.

Hugs,

Monique
November 8th, 2012, 09:36 AM
First of all thank God you and your daughter were not hurt. Stick to your guns. Call the sheriff's department and let them know what happened and that you are not happy.

Jess1377
November 8th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Oh my gosh!!! Rhonda you did the right thing hands down, no doubt about it. This guy is a complete and total jacka$$, he has no right to assume how much the damages might cost at all!! I really cannot stand how people in general are such jerks now a days. There are so many grumpy / jerky / mean people out there that when you run into a kind person you want to hug them and tell them how much of a rare species they are and that you want to adopt them in to your family! (uh... I may be a bit bitter with a few stories I could vent about as of late...) ;) At any rate, you (know you) did the right thing, there is no way in heck I would ever want to pay a dime for that kind of accident and you shouldnt have to, you were the victim. I hope you get a chance to talk to someone about the treatment last night though, the cops name will be on the report for you too. I do say that the cop is correct, he does have to ask you to get the report the next day or so after the fact as there are usually the paperwork specifics to take care of. (scared to admit how many police officers there are in my family.... though even they admit there are jackas$e$ in their profession too) I also think this schmuck was probably about to get off of work for the day too, just trying to rush out of the situation like that. He should have told you to wait in the car at least!!

MOST IMPORTANTLY... You and your daughter are ok and that is great news!

lilmouse
November 8th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I would be furious too; there was no call for that kind of behavior on his part....and I would report him as well for conduct unprofessional to the badge! Do not take this kind of treatment from a public servant....did he forget his job or what...now I am furious on your behalf! Good Luck and vent anytime!

promqueen
November 8th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Be thankful you were not hurt but DEFINITELY report this idiot to his superiors. Definitely not OK! Maybe he was on something....wouldn't surprise me! No respect today, nada, nothing! It really p...... me off! I would be mad too! Take care of yourself but do what you gotta do!! Hugs....Mary Ann

GuitarGramma
November 8th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Rhonda, so glad you're OK. And it's a good thing you insisted on that report. I was once "mildly" rear ended. My bumper was intact, but you could read the lady's license plate holder impressed into the bumper. It cost $750 to repair! Hope your car is back to beautiful quickly.

Donna F
November 8th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Oh Rhonda I SO know what you're talking about! A girl in a 'mangled' car hit me from behind at a toll booth one night, right at the time the toll booth guy was handing me change and not once but TWICE! I was so angry. When you pay $30k or more for a vehicle, keep it maintained, nice looking and someone that doesn't take care of theirs comes along and just wham! Grrr. I called the cops, they refused to even come, said for me to take license and etc info and give it to my insurance so she volunteered it. Granted my bumper only had a couple of scratches I do tend to flip out over my jeep. I called my insurance 2 hours later because it happened at 3am. Turns out the girl gave me a false drivers lic. # and the car was stolen. Hello lazy dispatcher, the girl would be in jail if he would've sent a car over!! I still have my 2 scratches on my bumper and my dh tells everyone to not ask me about it cause I get on my soapbox lol.
I saw an old man run into the back of a guys truck the other day, it was like a roll into him kind of thing. The old man refused to get out of the car but the guy in the truck jumped out and his truck wasn't damaged but the old man could care less. He refused to even get put to apologize or even open his window!! What is wrong with people?? Geez. In the end, the old man's car was damaged with a huge hole from the guys tow bar on the back, young guy just yelled at the window that its his problem & left. I'm off my soapbox now :)

HandsOffItsMine
November 8th, 2012, 02:23 PM
First off - Thankful that both of you are ok!

Glad you demanded a report!

FYI - many non-metal bumpers are filled with a solid within the layers that can weaken when hit over 5 miles a hour! To remove and fill it again runs $1500 or more per bumper. How do I know? I was sandwiched between two cars twice within two months!! I was hit at a higher speed but that is what the Accident Engineer's report stated in both accidents. Do not let police tell you that "It's just a superficial scratch." The bumper can have internal structural damage.

SuzyQue
November 8th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Oh, Rhonda....so glad you and your daughter are safe! I am so glad you were insistent on the report. I hope you do report this to his superiors. It is a sad and crazy world we live in now-a-days! This makes me sad and mad! You have every right to vent. You go, girl!

auntiemern
November 8th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Rhonda, first and foremost, glad that you and DD are ok, but keep an eye out whiplash can take days to show up. You did the right thing. It is his responsiblity to write the report and take all the info from both parties. I must say, given those circumstances, and his attitude, I probably would have ended up in jail, lol. Let them have it with both barrel's and make your self heard, even if you have to go to the very top authority.

GrammaBabs
November 8th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Yep, to the glad your safe part,,,very happy for that....... but the first part of your letter describing your demeanor and your thought process, is SO ME... hope you got his badge number and don't be afriad.... my BIL is retired Police Officer (notice what i'm calling him, because that is the respectful title in my book,, my Grandfather was one and we were taught that title was proper)..... i digress,,, this is what is wrong with our country... everybody "forgives bad work ethic"... and wants their "representatives, law,etc" to be likeable "good guys"... NOT ME... i want someone who shows respect and a little class...knows and does their JOB..... sick to death of this!!!! And you thought YOU were venting...LOL

janluna
November 8th, 2012, 06:04 PM
And yes, whiplash can be bad. So, make sure you pay attention to you neck, head, shoulders and back. If you get pain and stiffness there, go see the Doc. My Son got hit from behind by a women, who wasn't paying attention(by her own admission to the police) and drove right into my Son who was waiting to make a left hand turn, doing 55 miles an hour. John and my Daughter Lila, weren't hurt badly. The Lady gave John her info because he asked her for it. The cop never did. Cops never gave her a ticket, even tho she admitted she was at fault. His car was a mess. It pushed his back seat right up to the front seat. He had a nice car. It was an older car, but well taken care of, not a spot of rust anywhere, ran like brand new. And the cop told him, you should have taken a quieter road home. !!!!!?????!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!! A few hours later, after I checked him all over, took vitals, etc. I let him lay down. About an hour later, I checked on him. He said, "umm, Mom, I can't move." WHAT!!!!!!!!! He ended up in the hospital, with whiplash of the head,neck, shoulders, and back. He was one huge muscle spasm. It didn't hit until he relaxed and fell asleep. He went to move, and the pain was so bad he couldn't even call out to me. I just had a feeling, I should check him one more time. The Doctor said even a light car accident of this nature can cause severe whiplash. He said, "John is more than severe," due to the speed she had hit him with. The insurance co. paid for his car, and his medical. Only because I complained to the sherriff Dept. about the cop, and the lady was kind enough to tell the truth. I'm saying prayers for you and your Daughter to be ok. Also, Ruby is right about the bumper. We had to train on that while I was a firefighter. Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

Blondie
November 8th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Rhonda,

Glad that you weren't hurt and DD is safe as well. I reckon I should add my horror story here. In 1973 I was in a ten car pile up; I was one of the three people who LIVED. I was travelling an interstate where I was in college in SC. For anyone who knows the roads in N. and S. Carolina, they can be rolling hills. It was raining and I was not even doing 35 mph - on the interstate - that's how hard it was raining. When I crested one hill I saw that I was gonna hit someone because there was no where else to go. I tried to veer off but I still ran into the back of a car; someone ran into the back of me, etc etc. The thing is this - the cops were already on the scene and should've had flares or something up. 1973 was a time ago but it certainly wasn't the dark ages. Anyway, people were standing all around and when I came to I heard, SHE"S ALIVE. The stinking trooper PULLED ME OUT OF MY CAR where I was wedged in - it was a 1965 VW - and pulled me into his, writing me a ticket for rear ending someone! Oh YES, he did! I had a concussion, was in shock and bleeding from my nose and mouth - a bystander opened his door and demanded he bring me to the hospital. While there, I saw gurney after gurney of body bags. I have never fully physically recovered from the damage to my neck and teeth. My teeth just about ate the wooden steering wheel. If I knew then what I knew now, I would've sued the State of SC and possibly that dumba$$ of a trooper. He had no idea how badly I was injured, just that I was alive. I don't drive on rainy days any longer unless it is to work and even then I have been known to have anxiety attacks. That one event changed my life dramatically in more ways than one.

Vent, write a letter out if it helps to keep your thoughts straight and be sure to follow up. Knowing you, I trust you will. Bless you.

bopeep
November 8th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Oh Bless Your Heart...
Glad you & your daughter are OK.....
I would be MAD too.......that is just not right.....the report should have been the 1st thing he wrote up after he found out if everyone was OK........
bopeep

GrammaBabs
November 8th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Blondie,,, you are one strong, sweet and forgiving woman... Bless you for who you are.... hugs GB
Rhonda,

Glad that you weren't hurt and DD is safe as well. I reckon I should add my horror story here. In 1973 I was in a ten car pile up; I was one of the three people who LIVED. I was travelling an interstate where I was in college in SC. For anyone who knows the roads in N. and S. Carolina, they can be rolling hills. It was raining and I was not even doing 35 mph - on the interstate - that's how hard it was raining. When I crested one hill I saw that I was gonna hit someone because there was no where else to go. I tried to veer off but I still ran into the back of a car; someone ran into the back of me, etc etc. The thing is this - the cops were already on the scene and should've had flares or something up. 1973 was a time ago but it certainly wasn't the dark ages. Anyway, people were standing all around and when I came to I heard, SHE"S ALIVE. The stinking trooper PULLED ME OUT OF MY CAR where I was wedged in - it was a 1965 VW - and pulled me into his, writing me a ticket for rear ending someone! Oh YES, he did! I had a concussion, was in shock and bleeding from my nose and mouth - a bystander opened his door and demanded he bring me to the hospital. While there, I saw gurney after gurney of body bags. I have never fully physically recovered from the damage to my neck and teeth. My teeth just about ate the wooden steering wheel. If I knew then what I knew now, I would've sued the State of SC and possibly that dumba$$ of a trooper. He had no idea how badly I was injured, just that I was alive. I don't drive on rainy days any longer unless it is to work and even then I have been known to have anxiety attacks. That one event changed my life dramatically in more ways than one.

Vent, write a letter out if it helps to keep your thoughts straight and be sure to follow up. Knowing you, I trust you will. Bless you.

Patience
November 8th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Rhonda, any auto accident should be written up. I travel a lot with my job and see so many accidents on the road. And I think write ups are becoming an optional thing in a lot of states. I find it very convenient for them and an excuse for the insurance companies to drag their feet.
Blondie, as a born and bred S. Carolinian, I apologize for the ignorance of a state trooper. Back in the 70's, they had a very serious bad rep. I think that the Lord saved you for better things.

RFREE
November 9th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Thank you all for your support and kind words.I fine it helps when we can talk about stuff even if it is banging it out on this computer. Your life experiences and been there done that kind of things makes my anger calm down.I just don't like how this world has become so none caring across the board.Makes me wonder what it will be when my 14 year old DD gets out on her own.SCARY to think about.I realize everything happens for a reason but what has happened to mankind? Some People are all out for themselves.Makes me sick.
Blondie I agree with Patience 100%. You were saved for better things for sure.Your story made me sick to think about.You had an angel on your shoulder for sure that day.And for that we are soooo glad.

janluna
November 10th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Blondie, The trooper pulling you from your car without a collar is probably why you have a neck injury. And letting you stand up or sit up when you have a concussion, the combination could have killed you. You should have been collared laid on your side so you didn't swallow to much blood or teeth and covered with a blanket, and given o2. And put out of the rain. You did have an angel with you. Plus the person who spoke up to the trooper and told him to take you to the hospital. That person was also an angel. The collar, the backboard, the straps, everything they should have done was available in 1973. And as far as the ticket!!!!!! He was so totally unprofessional at an accident scene of this nature. With that many bodies, on his (sorry) behalf, he was probably also in shock. When people are not trained for this situation, it can cause all kinds of trouble in his head. When we started our training, we demanded that police, troopers, and sheriff deputies took the training too. Most are first responders, they have to know triage of a scene. They have to check every single person and determine who is not to be helped, who is in dire need, stop bleeding and Number 1, check for breathing, and open an air way. The first one on scene calls for the "World to respond". It's what we called an "Ya'll Come Party!" "Now!" I had one deputy cover a lady up and he told me "don't touch her, she's dead." She was very much alive and I got into a world of hurts over disobeying an officer of the law. Had she laid there for more than 30 minutes without help, she would have died. She had so many broken bones and was in shock so bad, we almost lost her just trying to protect her. By the time we got her in the ambulance, we put the pedal to the metal, and got her to the hospital. Thank God we did everything right! I relived that call for a month. The guy who hit her didn't stop at the stop signs, he took out the entire side of the car she was in, therefore removing her from the car, and dumping her in a field of tall grass. The driver of the car she was in, went through the windshield and ended up on the hood of the car, cut to ribbons. He had to be moved first. While everyone was working to save these two people, the guy who hit them sat in his totaled car, yelling to beat the band! He had been checked, he was fine, but he couldn't get out. So we left a medic with him, and ignored him. When we had the other two moved , collared, back boarded, covered, 02, frac-pacs on in place and strapped down, and on the way, My DH moved to the other car. They pried off the door, the police took him out of the car, and then he started to fight to get back in the car. Joe looked inside the car, and on the front seat, were 2 loaded pistols, a rifle, and a very large bag of Money! Joe checked him again, took vitals, did a secondary survey for the 2nd time. And handed him over to the sheriff's dept. and they took him to jail where he belonged. Jerk wasn't even bruised. When they reconstructed the scene, they concluded, he was driving about 97 to 100 miles per hour, he had blown through 3 stop signs, and he had t-boned the other car, both cars turned sideway, his car continued down the side of the car the other two were in and totally took the whole side, including half of the front seat out. We found out later she was going to have her first child. She and her husband had been trying for 4 years to have a baby. They lost the baby. The cause of the accident..... did 1 year in jail. Not prison, Jail. I don't know where the guns and money came from or why he had them. He knew "somebody." After that, my charges got dropped and that Deputy was one of my 1st students in a D.O.T. first responders course. And we made a deal with the law that we would double check all "bodies" in the future. After that, we all got along great at a scene. Blondie, you were definitely treated wrong at the scene! I sure hope they got better in S.C. You are lucky to be alive. God Bless you, Jan L.

auntiemern
November 10th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Oh my goodness Blondie. That is horrific. I would have anxiety attack too. Shame you didn't sue them. But I do know why you were were alive. God had a higher purpose for you, and you are doing what His plan was. Same as my Bubby. We just don't know what His plans are yet with him. You truly are an angel ya know.
Rhonda,