PDA

View Full Version : Too many machines to choose from!

Ddbrown1275
November 7th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I am sewing on my mom's machine-Black Diamond- from the 1960's. I need to invest in a new machine that makes machine quilting easier. I have no idea where to begin. I sew recreationally and I love crafting and quilt making. Do I have to pay the big dollars for a machine I can quilt on?

Jean Sewing Machine
November 7th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Just get the machine that has the biggest throat space that fis into your budget. That's the key to making quilting easier. I'm partial to Janomes, but Brother, Husqvarna, BabyLock are all good choices.

bec
November 7th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I have a Janome 6600. It's a little pricey, but does have a 9 inch throat space. I've had it for about a year and I absolutely love it so far. It's hard to find a machine with a bigger than average throat that's not pricey. Hope you find something that suites your budget and makes you happy. :)

Ddbrown1275
November 7th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the tip. Maybe Santa reads this forum.

Ddbrown1275
November 7th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the help!

Jean Sewing Machine
November 7th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I have a Janome 6600. It's a little pricey, but does have a 9 inch throat space. I've had it for about a year and I absolutely love it so far. It's hard to find a machine with a bigger than average throat that's not pricey. Hope you find something that suites your budget and makes you happy. :) That was going to be my suggestion. I had one of these and absolutely loved it. Traded up for a long arm, that's the only reason I don't still own it. I wish I had it back.

Winniesfriend
November 7th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I have a Janome 7700 it has the 11" throat space, I love it, they have just updated and a new Horizon is out so the 7700 is coming down in price.

Jess1377
November 7th, 2012, 10:54 PM
I like to look at whether or not the tension is manual or automatic (like a car lol!). I have had better luck with my automatic tension singer confidence. I look forward to getting a new machine one day though too. Not the biggest throat on it at all. I will also look for a machine that has automatic needle down position. But it isnt a deal breaker either. I also really like the drop in bobbin feature too.

Maybe go to amazon and read reviews on machines that interest you too, or google reviews on particular machines and do your research that way as well.

Sasha Anzures
November 7th, 2012, 11:56 PM
i just bought a pfaff ambition 1.0 and i love it. it has needle up/down and evenfeeding built in and an 8 inch throat. it has alot of other things i love about it....it sews like a charm. i walked into the machine store and told them this is my budget and i cant go any higher and i want these features...what do you got? the only feature i had on the list and didn't get was the extended table, which i can buy later and a knee lift which was optional for me anyway.

Nursmate2
November 8th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I understand you're dilemma , I am having he same issue. I am sewing on my Brother from Walmart that does okay but I am ready for more machine. I read reviews and always get conflicting information. Let s know what you decide! Good luck in your hunt.

Claire Hallman
November 8th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I am very happy with the Viking 875Q that I bought from Craig's list. It has the needle down, a pretty big harp and self adjusting tension. My FMQ is not great but it is not because of the machine. I am getting a little better, I found out that loopies are much easier than just meandering. I am going to try out spirals today.:D

GrammaBabs
November 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Find your local dealer... test some out... check for "sewing machine reviews" on the net.... JANOME for me is the best all around,, model is up to what you like... but i have 8 machines.. and i love Janome the best.... Brother is my second choice for all around, but do buy from dealer if you can... don't be afraid to haggle a bit on price...

Honey3403
November 8th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I have you beat. My machine is my friends ex-mother in laws. It's a Singer from 1950 something that just goes forward. (reverse is still deciding if it wants to work)

Lindagie
November 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Claire; are you taking Leah Day's class on FMQ? I signed up for it, but have only seen the first two lessons so far; haven't tried to do any of it yet. I am sewing on a Pfaff from the 70's. It does what I want it to do for general sewing and piecing etc., but we will see how it does with the quilting part.

Claire Hallman
November 11th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Not yet, I have watched a lot of her videos online for free and have wondered how much more there could be in the Craftsy class.
I did some FMQ swirls on my 4 block big star lap quilt and it turned out pretty well. I got lots of positive reinforcement at sit and sew yesterday so I am pretty sure practice is the thing I need most of all.
My husband walked into the sewing room while I was working on it and he said I was getting "really good" at that, of course he was just watching me from a distance not the stitching close up.:o
I will try to remember and take a picture of it. I used gold thread and it showed up very well on the dark background.

kristelwyman
November 13th, 2012, 12:42 AM
i wonder what the best price on the 7700 would be... i'm reading such ranges in what people pay. it seems like negotiations are common when buying machines... which i am intimidated by, but want to get a good price on one!

what's the new model, btw?

Roxanne
December 10th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I have a Janome 6500 and LOVE it. I have done a lot of free motion machine quilting on it and it does an awesome job and has never given me a seconds trouble in the 3 years I have owned it. You can get it for around $1500. I don't know what your budget is, but there are machines out there for a whole lot more money than that. I can't imagine they could be much better than this machine. I have been checking around, thinking about getting something else, but not sure I can find something I would like any better. I have a feeling I will end up sticking with my Janome.

MRoy
December 10th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I'd love to have the Janome Horizon 7700. I hope the price does drop now that the 8800 is out.

madampolo
December 11th, 2012, 10:08 AM
When you do decide on a machine, check Craig's list for your area. You may be able to find one at a much better price. I found my new used Brother embroidery/sewing machine that is one year old, and got it for half price. This site has a lot of machines. I have bought from them before, but not a machine. Happy hunting!

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/index.php?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}

buckeyequilter
December 11th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I'm partial to Brother machines. But I bought a Kenmore by Janome and at first I hated it...it's beginning to grow on me and I'm really beginning to like it. My advice is buy the best you can afford and if the throat space is important be sure to get one with the larger throat.