PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Morning

Blondie
November 6th, 2012, 08:18 AM

Happy Day folksies

Yep, the day is finally here that so many have been waiting for anxiously. After this, the anxiety really begins, right? Just get out and VOTE. So many folksies I know voted early. We decided to wait until today because hubs likes to live in the moment and since today is HIS BIRTHDAY he couldn't think of a better way to spend it. I mean dang, standing in line on a cold November Morning?

Since it is Election Day, Luscious Larry's Birthday AND he if off work - well, reckon it will be just another day in paradise here. Sis is making him dinner - meatloaf and mashed taters with veggies. I am going to make him an apple struedal cake - an oldie goldie that I made him when we were dating. It kept him coming back for more!

Still praying for all those in need of a special touch.

Hope that everyone else has a wonderful day. One other reason to SMILE today - which is a serious consideration after all this time - is the polling calls will STOP. Hallelujah, Amen three times and pass the biscuits and gravy.

quilter.martha
November 6th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I'll take some of that biscuits and gravy and say Hallelujah as well to the commercials stopping! I was going to say exactly what you said Blondie, get out and vote! A person has no right to complain about our government unless they take the time to vote!

Today is a work day for me. So I'll leave early, vote and then spend the day trying to keep warm. It COLD this morning--21 degrees!

Everyone have a nice day!

Bubby
November 6th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Good Morning,

Yes, it's election day. We will go to the polls after DH gets home from work. I'll be in front of the TV all day though. We have a local election full of intrigue that's almost as interesting as the presidential election!

I finished DD's quilt last night and I'll post pictures when my right hand works again! I love hand stitching binding but hate what it does to me. I have a table runner I have to bind by Thursday so DH can take it with him on his trip up north this weekend. The runner is for my friend Jenny and DH hunts on her land. I send her something handmade every year.

It looks like the east coast is bracing for another bad storm. Enough is enough!!!

Miss Molly wants her breakfast right now. Will post later when she's napping.

Have a great day and remember to vote!! Hugs, Barb

Monique
November 6th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Good morning Blondie. Give LL a BIG hug from me for his birthday. May he have an awesome one.

Yes it is a big day down there. It will be interesting indeed. If you don't like what is currently going on, go out and vote. If you don't vote then don't complain. I don't mean to offend anyone by this statement. This is only my view. Martha, I was writing at the same time as you. LOL!!

Yesterday I finished the coasters I was making for the SS swap. They are really cute. I used charm squares and used the method in the 10 minute pot holder method. My brain is working again and I was thinking I would whip up a bunch of those for Christmas gifts. I have a meeting tonight, so I don't have to cook. Not sure what the rest of day will bring.

GO VOTE!! and have a wonderful day everyone.

Swedish leo
November 6th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Hi

Good luck with the election!

I am at work and longing home to my sewingmachine! sigh.. i just have to wait untill the day is gone.

Have a nice Day!

Bailey65
November 6th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Yes, get out and VOTE! Can you imagine back in the day when women could NOT vote? Exercise your right and just do it!

As Martha said it's really cold here this morning! I don't need to go anywhere today "YAY" I got an absentee ballot a few weeks ago so our vote has been cast. I have a little bookkeeping work I need to get done right off this morning and then it's into the sewing room to open the NEW Singer 9960 Amazon sent and package up the old. I am looking forward to doing some sewing today. With the Craft Fair last week and not feeling well with the Bronchitis it seems like years since I have sewed LOL. I wish I could feel this good all the time but the Prednisone seems to give me energy that I don't usually have. So I will take advantage of this time and get a lot done only 2 more days on it.

I hope all you ladies & gents have a wonderful day!

Patrice
November 6th, 2012, 09:02 AM
It is raining here so glad I voted early. Got the day off today so Yes I will be in my sewing room. :)

buckeyequilter
November 6th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Good morning....

I will vote after work and then be glued to the TV after that. I will just be glad when it's over....all the political calls, ads....we have been bombarded with this stuff. We get to watch a few minutes of TV between the ads.

I made the first gift for my SSS buddy last night. I have a few more to make. I have other stuff but have just started making gifts for my buddy.

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE TODAY

MRoy
November 6th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Good Morning! I drove to the polls, voted, and was back home by 6:30 this morning. Now the day is ALL mine! I'll take some of those biscuits and gravy with a big Hallelujah too. I'm so tired of the political ads, FB posts, etc. After today it will be the "We won" or "We told you so" stuff for awhile. I believe political and/or religious beliefs are very personal and should be respected.

I've been playing around with making bow-tie blocks. I watched Bonnie Hunter's quilt-cam while she put together a scrappy cheddar bow-tie quilt and loved the look. Might work on more of those today.

madampolo
November 6th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Well, it's 7:00, and the polls are now open here in Texas. It may be a long night. I, too, am tired of the emails and commericals.

cyndiofthevortex
November 6th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Today is a day for prayer - that the right man will be elected "by the people."

It is cold here, as Martha and Fannie said. I'll wait until it warms up to 40 degrees or so before walking down the street to vote. What a privilege it is to get to vote! Take advantage of the opportunity and get out there and let your voice be heard!

I started my SS quiltie yesterday and hope to make a lot of progress on it today. As long as I can keep my fingers warm! I hate to turn the heat up so early in November. Heating oil is precious in this house and I want to conserve every last drop.

Good day to you all and prayers to those who especially need them. Remember those hit by Sandy as another storm is coming their way Wednesday night.

CrazyMtnLady
November 6th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Good morning. Vote Vote Vote!
Blondie.... Tell LL that I wish him the best birthday ever and that I hope all his candidates win. (as long as the presidential one is the same one I want...LOL )
I didn't get any sewing done yesterday,, but I sure hope to get some time today. I only have 2 UFOs to go once I get Smiley quilted. The one I don't know how I am going to back yet.
I have some material and a couple charm packs that are staring at me and some other pretty fat quarters screaming for me to make something out of them. :)

Hope everyone has a great day. Just think tomorrow: No more campaign ads promising things that will never happen! Or slinging mud at the other candidate.

Hugs and prayers to all.

EnumclawGramma
November 6th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Good Morning! Happy Birthday LL! Hugs from all of us Blondie! It's a busy cleaning day for me. I need to stay busy so I am not glued to the tv all day. I can't say I'm tired of the political ads, being in a state that votes one way....we don't get the calls and the endless ads like everyone else. I will be glad when this is over, especially if it goes my way! Hoping to eek out a little time with my sewing machine, we'll see how that goes. Frosty morning. Got the fire going, and my fleece jammies on! My cat is sitting here nudging me as I type because she wants to go back to bed. She keeps yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawning at me!! LOL! Not happening. Going to wake the DGD now for school and get this day going. I'll check back in when I have time for a break.

Hugs and prayers all 'round ***HUGS*** especially to those in the east with that new storm on the way.

pcbatiks
November 6th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Good Morning everyone........saying prayers of thanks today that our son is okay. He wrecked his car yesterday......thankfully no one was hurt. But his car is damaged.......now to help him decide whether to repair or replace. I think my SS box is almost ready! Can you believe Christmas sale papers are all ready making an appearance. Before too long Black Friday shopping will be the day after Halloween! Hope you all have a good day.

Sandy Navas
November 6th, 2012, 11:32 AM
GOOD MORNING, QUILTY FRIENDS.

Let me tell you, I've been waiting for this day with bated breath. So, here goes: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LARRY!

Off to the polls in just a bit. Then it's home and hit the Sewing Haven for the rest of the day.

May all your prayers be answered for the right reasons.

Praying for those suffering - and those who are suffering double for unknown reasons - and warm hugs to the rest of you.

Now to go Exercise My Rights!!!

LynneLeavell
November 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Good Morning all. Ditto on the voting. If you haven't already done so get out and do so. My Husband and I voted last week. My daughter was up and in line at 6:00 this morning, she was seventh in line. Blondie tell Larry happy birthday.

Stay dry and warm. Praying for those that need it and for those that don't. Have a great day.

Cathy F
November 6th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Morning all!

We walked to the polls this morning and voted, I'm waiting to see how this storm impacts the election. Have a little cleaning around the house to do then hope to get back up in the sewing room and work on a few more of those cosmetic bags. Hoping I can find a gas station that has gas, then will sit and read a book while waiting on line.

Madeforyouinma11
November 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Happy Birthday to LL! Going to leave soon to do all my out of the house stuff and then it's home to clean! My house was a little neglected while I was getting ready for the craft fair. If I can get it all done today, then I will have the rest of the week to do some sewing and get my SS's package ready. Still need to do a few things for it. I have been good, I look at mine everyday and still have not even peeked! I'm not sure how I am going to wait for still another 6 weeks!
Oh well, hope everyone has a great day! Happy voting! :)

Sandy Navas
November 6th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Good Morning everyone........saying prayers of thanks today that our son is okay. He wrecked his car yesterday......thankfully no one was hurt. But his car is damaged.......now to help him decide whether to repair or replace. I think my SS box is almost ready! Can you believe Christmas sale papers are all ready making an appearance. Before too long Black Friday shopping will be the day after Halloween! Hope you all have a good day.

Missed your post earlier, Pam - and I'm glad I checked back in. Thank You prayers being said. Sometimes these are just little eye-opening events. I'm so glad your son wasn't injured.

You can't get riled up about Black Friday shopping if you don't have money to spend . . .

Good excuse - I don't like crowds.

bakermom
November 6th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Bright and sunny here(but cold) so the turnout should be good. DH and will go vote as soon as he gets home. when i got up this morning there were already 15 messages on the answering machine-only 2 that were not political. I so want to get rid of our landline!

auntiemern
November 6th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Well Happy Birthday LL. Just glad that after today it will be over. Going to get nails done today, as they are long and way over due. After that gonna work on some small stuff for this week end. Wishing everyone a glorious day. Hugs and Blessings to all, and prayers for those in need. Got to get busy, lol.

Lonna
November 6th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Good Morning all,

Blondie please wish LL a Happy Birthday from Wayne and myself.

It is a rather overcast and cold day here. Would love to be home in my sewing room with a little music going. But instead here I sit at work for a little longer at work, then off for a Mamo not looking forward to that. I have not been good about taking care of myself and my needs I have canceled this appt twice now so I really need to go today. It has been at least seven years since I went and had one. I know it was back before hurricane Katrina hit here. I just really need to get my prioritys straight. And working six days a week is not helping one little bit. Enough of this.

Have a great day my friends on what every road you are headed down today.

toggpine
November 6th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Good Day!
I have to drop my ballot off in the box and make a run to the farm store for more canning jars. I was just fine until my friend came along with the two tons of apples! Ok, so maybe I'm exaggerating on the 2 tons, but I am on my second 4 gallon stock-pot of apple sauce, and have at least one more to go.
I shall not complain, as food in the pantry is always a welcome thing. I just wasn't prepared for it.
Hopefully while it is simmering, I can get back to the sewing room.
Have a great day!
Cathy

shannonsaulter
November 6th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I always vote absentee so I can mail it in..did that about 2 weeks ago..glad I dont have to stand in line...its my Thursday and I get 4 days off..cant wait gonna do some quilting and get the new sewing room put together...Yeah!!!
Have a great day everyone!!

HandsOffItsMine
November 6th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Happy Birthday to Luscious Larry! What a lucky guy to share his Bday on this day! lol Blondy make sure you treat him right! :D

Woke up at 3:30 am ready to vote...had to wait 'till 7, well actuall got there around 8ish. Makaha Elementary was our polling place, volunteers had it under control! Piece of cake. Now lets hope that it goes to our man! Also that our guy get the new Mayor position in Honolulu for TheRail to go forward.

Then we had excitement as we got there, we overheard that a boy was dropped off and there is no school. He said he would walk home to "The Plantations" - That's by our house, at least 4 miles away! I don't think so, we're in the middle of the not so safe area. The volunteer asked him if he knew his mom's phone number "no". Told her, hold him 'till we come out from voting and we'll take him home. Introduced myself to "Omar", got a "Can I play at the playground?" "No, there is no one to watch you! Stay put with this nice lady, 'till I come out. We'll take you home, sweetie."

He's the cutest 9 year old, tried to tell us how to get home. Good thing Don the chaufeur was driving, we would have been in Honolulu, lol. As we were explaining to the Security Guard that Omar doesn't know his unit number, the SG can't look up by Owner Name, she says here take the pass I just let you in. Omar's little voice in the back says "Hey, that my uncle's car coming!" Sure enough, there Uncle and Mom in the car. Me telling the SG "Stop that car, don't let them out!" No they weren't going to pick up Omar, they had not idea. They actually thought they were late and that's why the school was so quiet. Omar and Mom united, Oma Ruby and Opa Don happy that this 9 year old wouldn't be wondering 4 miles trying to find his way home. Scary thought!

Hope we get to run into Omar in the future 'cause he sure is a cute kid...

quiltingtrish
November 6th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Hi all ~~~
I voted. Hope the guy who I think is better than the other wins. I say think strongly cause I seem to have problems with both of them. Plus, the fella running for our local Congressman - well, don't like him either. My DH ran against him twice - decided not to run this time around and the other guy is the only one running. Well, I do have a choice and I didn't vote for him. I think he is getting away with some illegal things.
Black Friday shopping. Not me. Hate crowds. The last time I did do a shopping on that day, I got claustrophobia as soon as I got into the mall. There were so many people and I couldn't breathe. I swear to this day they were sucking all the oxygen out of the air and put too much carbon dioxide in it!
Happy Birthday Larry! I hope you had a wonderful day! I heard on the grapevine that Blondie would just love to make you a cake. Anyone else hear that? haha.
Tonight was supposed to be one of my applique classes in Hershey. I decided not to go after I heard that we would be working on our own projects. Now I suppose that is a good thing and if I had any questions that she would be there to help, but since I don't have any questions I do not want to drive an hour 1 way there and back again in case I have a question.
Well, off to find some quilting to work on and gather my stuff for Saturdays quilt together.
Hugs,

auntiemern
November 6th, 2012, 08:50 PM
What a wonderful story Ruby. Although I know he was perfectly safe with Oma Ruby, and Opa Don, it is still kinda scary, that they would just let him go off with a total stranger. Not all boogie men, look like boogie men. So happy you got Omar home safely. This is why my grand kids, even Kenz who is only 5, knows her mom's # as well as ours.

Lisaau
November 6th, 2012, 10:39 PM
sure is scary to think he didnt kow any details and his family didnt even check or think to walk him into the school to find out ...........well done ruby

toggpine
November 6th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I can't believe that happened either Ruby.
Unless the kids come to school on the bus, the parents have to sign the kids in at the office.
They won't let the children off the bus to someone they don't know, even if the person is on the "approved" list. The bus drivers have to know before hand, or they will call into the school and then the picker-upper has to show ID if the driver has any questions. They will take the kids back to the school and the parents have to come and pick them up there. If I pick Emily up from school, I have to sign her out at the office too.
Maybe it's a different thing on the island.
I bought new windshield wipers today. Or thought I did. I get them home and the first one was all shiny and new. The second one had a different piece on it. Somebody put an old wiper in the box and returned it. On closer inspection, the road dirt on the inside pretty much gave it away. I called Costco and reported it. I'll be bringing it back tomorrow for a new one. I'll be checking that box before I leave the store.
Off to fix supper & avoid the TV until the 11PM news. By then it ought to be all over but the shouting.
Good evening and happy night time sewing!
Cathy

Sandy Navas
November 6th, 2012, 11:40 PM
I bought new windshield wipers today. Or thought I did. I get them home and the first one was all shiny and new. The second one had a different piece on it. Somebody put an old wiper in the box and returned it. On closer inspection, the road dirt on the inside pretty much gave it away. I called Costco and reported it. I'll be bringing it back tomorrow for a new one. I'll be checking that box before I leave the store.
Cathy

These are desperate times - but I do not condone stealing - and how dare the store not check a return before putting it back on the shelf. Another reason that I hope everyone voted today.

bhaggerty
November 7th, 2012, 03:02 AM
that happened to us with a ceiling fan. got it home and opened it up to install it and there was an old fan in the box with broken blades. Home Depot replaced it without any questions. boy was I mad, though!

These are desperate times - but I do not condone stealing - and how dare the store not check a return before putting it back on the shelf. Another reason that I hope everyone voted today.

HandsOffItsMine
November 7th, 2012, 03:36 AM
I know Marilyn, but the lady was a Polling Volunteer not from the school. There were no school personnel there at all.

Agree that at 9 years old Omar should know his mom's phone number or at least have his contact info in his back pack. Neither! :( Didn't really get to talk to his Mom as there were cars in line waiting to get out at the Security Gate at The Plantation. I'm just glad that we were there at the time walking up. Also the timing was just right at the SG, other wise we would have had to sit at his stoop. lol We surely wouldn't have left him there waiting alone, at worse we would have left a note on their door and taken him home with us. Very trusting kid too, which is also scary. Beautiful child too. Didn't look 9 either, very talkative, cute and funny. Like I said, God put us there at the right time. :)

toggpine
November 7th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Ruby, I am glad it was you and Don that found him and took him home. I agree, He did time that pretty well. Things could have ended up much worse for that young man. I hope his mom realizes that.

Sandy, as for the wiper: If the connecting piece hadn't been different, I may not have noticed the wiper difference either. Or at least until I tried to use it in the rain. It was shaped VERY close to the new one. The store was very willing to replace it with no hassle, and apologized for my trouble. I think that sucks too. It is one thing to return something that is brand new that you won't use, but to do that is pretty low. Not only have they cost the store $, but now my time & gas $ too. Ugh.
I am not sure I am very happy with the new one anyway. I tried to use it on the way home from picking Em up from school, and it left an odd streak in the middle due to the pressure points of the design. I may return them both and just get a replacement blade instead of the whole arm thing.
Well, I stayed up way too late watching the election results. Apparently if things go as trending, we'll be able to buy pot and alcohol at the grocery store. Hmmm. I wonder if the pot will be in the pharmacy, with the other smokes, or in the produce section...? At this point, legalize it all. Regulate it, tax the he[[ out of it, and put the $$$ back to some good use in the communities. Off the soapbox and off to hit the hay.
See you later today.
Cathy

Claire Hallman
November 7th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Apparently if things go as trending, we'll be able to buy pot and alcohol at the grocery store. Hmmm. I wonder if the pot will be in the pharmacy, with the other smokes, or in the produce section...? At this point, legalize it all. Regulate it, tax the he[[ out of it, and put the $$$ back to some good use in the communities. Off the soapbox and off to hit the hay.
See you later today.
Cathy

And put the drug lords out of business.

toggpine
November 7th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Claire, We could hope.
Make them pay taxes and jump through the regulatory hoops like every other honest business owner. B&O taxes, operating licenses, business licenses, income taxes. Welcome to the real world boys!
Probably just wishful thinking there though.