PDA

View Full Version : Sad day at work........

Klasien
November 5th, 2012, 08:36 AM
When I came in at work this morning (prison) there were co-workers waiting for everybody at the door.....
I was told that an imate lost it yesterday and a guard (female) was in the hospital after he beat her up.....I am in shock.........she has 4 broken ribs, a broken elbow, she got kicked on her head more than once, and today the doctors will run tests to see if there is braindamage...........
I was in tears when I found out who the guard was, I know her very well and we work together for over 14 years now......she is a sweet lady a little older than I am.
After we had a briefing, I went to my barbershop, called some people and went to the part where the inmates are living, talked to a few and there I heard that I could not start working today, to dangerous.......
I am still in shock, I want to make her a quilt, looking for patterns, one moment I am sad the other moment I am mad.......brings back memories when it all went out of controle at my salon with an inmate..........this is the hard part of working in prison.........you never know how the day will end..........

This could have been me.....everybody was thinking the same thing, this is what we are dealing with now a days.........just out of the blue, complete crazy and she was almost thrown from the third floor all the way down, she was smart enough to get on the floor so she could hold on to the bars......his feet kicked her where he could, till there was help.........I hope she will recover but in her mind this will never be over......I feel so bad for her!!!!

I will start a quilt, need a pattern that is quick and easy, so I can bring it over to her while she is in the hospital.

Thanks for reading, I need to get it out of my system, need to talk about it, this is so sad.............

Winniesfriend
November 5th, 2012, 08:47 AM
OMG how terrible, by the sounds of it you will all need to do lots of talking, I hope they have organised counselling for every one, good luck with the quilting, you make some beautiful quilts very quickly I am sure you will come up with something, please keep us updated on your friends conditions, sending big hugs and prayers

Genny
November 5th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Klasien, I'm really sorry about your friend and will pray that she will survive this brutal attack. This really is a sad situation and I hope that you can soon heal too. You must be a really strong lady to even work in such a dangerous place, I could never do it. Hugs and prayers for you too.

quiltingtrish
November 5th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Oh Klaisen, my prayers are with your friend. How awful for her and for you and your co-workers - prayers with you all.

The only thing I can suggest is forget all the cutting here and there, I would just take some large squares (a layer cake if you have one) and just sew them all together. A big, square blocks quilt. Then you just layer, quilt, and bind it. Designs and shapes are nice in a quilt, but this way you get it done and to her. She will love it.

Hugs - my friend,

DCM
November 5th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I'm so sorry to read about this -- I hope your friend recovers quickly. How nice of you to want to make her a quilt -- a jelly roll race quilt would go together pretty quickly -- you could use some very soft/soothing colors. I'm sure it would brighten her hospital room so much to have something made just for her. You and your coworkers will need a lot of time to process and deal with this, too. Take care.

Monique
November 5th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Hi Klasien, I hope your friend heals quickly, as least physically. Glad it wasn't you. Take care my friend.

CrazyMtnLady
November 5th, 2012, 09:33 AM
So sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers being sent up to the heavens for her quick recovery.

I would do a bright and cheery Jelly Roll Race Quilt.. They are fast and easy. You can always applique a heart or something on to it too.

Bubby
November 5th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Klasien, I pm'd you back, Hon. I think a jellyroll race quilt would be a perfect choice. Big Hugs, Barb

Jean Sewing Machine
November 5th, 2012, 09:53 AM
So sorry to hear this. Working in a prison has got to be very stressful work. I hope your friend heals quickly, but it sounds like it will be a while. I'll say some prayers for her. And yes, I vote for Jelly Roll Race quilt for her, you could make it in a day. Get 6 1/2 yard pieces of bright fabric, you can cut each into 7 pieces, then you have enough for your quilt. This is, if you don't already have a jelly roll in your possession. 40-42 strips make a ver nice size lap quilt.

pcbatiks
November 5th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Hi Klasien, So sorry to hear about your friend from work.......that must have been terrifying for her and all of you. Know that we are all praying for her recovery. I know that she will appreciate a quilt from you. I will be thinking of & praying for you too.

meemeecyn
November 5th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Oh, Klaisen, how awful for all of you. Making her a quilt will give you both comfort. There is Quick a strippie donation quilt that works up quickly......with the right colors it is stunning. I believe this is the link. maryquilts.com

Take care, Klaisen and hope you can feel my electronic hug around you.
Cynthia

bakermom
November 5th, 2012, 11:02 AM
How awful! Hope your friend makes a full recovery.

Sandy Navas
November 5th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Shaking for you and your friend and all your co-workers. We just never know what peril awaits us.

Prayers to everyone effected.

LynneLeavell
November 5th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Klasien , so sorry to hear about your friend. Praying things go well with her. I agree with everyone else. A Jelly Roll race quilt will be nice. But if you don't have that on hand then if you have a layer cake or some charm packs that match I would just sew those together alternating colors for something just plain and simple. She will appreciate the quilt but the thought and time you put in it will mean just as much to her. Good luck and stay safe.

Klasien
November 5th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I would love to make the Jellyroll Race Quilt, but I don't have a jellyroll.....

So I searched the web and found a little harder to do, but still simple enough to make, tomorrow is my day off, so I will work on it for the entire day.
http://www.maryquilts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Double-4-patch.pdf

Thanks for all the love and support, I am emotional and most of the time mad at the inmate, but also aware that this could have been me......I have been in danger with one of the inmates several years ago, I know now that that experience has left a little scar, I don't feel it anymore, but today that little scar is open and hurting again......I think about that scarry day a lot also today.......

Back to my quilt!!!

cyndiofthevortex
November 5th, 2012, 12:40 PM
So, so sorry to hear about this crime. Adding this whole situation to my list of prayers.

Loonwatcher
November 5th, 2012, 12:43 PM
OMG. Thank God that it wasn't you. Sending prayers and good energy for your friend's complete and speedy recovery. And for everyone's mental health in this matter.

So nice of you to do a quilt for her. If you are trying to do bed size I'd recommend the suggestion to just do layer cake blocks. If you want lap size the jelly roll race quilt is the quickest way to go.

Hugs,

lilmouse
November 5th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Klaisen, you could make her a COC quilt...you have already made up one...they are quick and easy.....I have one I just finished if you want me to send it to you....that's why we make them...let me know! You could add some pretty stitching to it if you want to personalize it...or there is room to have your co workers write messages on it to her either the front or the back...did it all in muslin

HandsOffItsMine
November 5th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Lieve Klasien,

I'm shocked to read the news about your friend. My prayers for her that she will recover quickly and have no brain damage. That management will get counseling in for all as this hard on everyone there. To think that you already had this happen to you makes me very sad and mad. (((Klasien)))

You can express your fear and anger here as much as you need to. It will take some time as this has opened that scar again like you said.

Of course, you want to make a quilt. :)

How about Emerald City or Amethyst City if she likes Purple or Blue Skies if she likes Blue :D

http://www.stitchedincolor.com/

Huggers my friend and much love, Ruby and Don

shannonsaulter
November 5th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Klaisen,
I know this worry as I am a prison guard..we lostt a fellow officer at a sister facility when the inmates rioted a few months ago...I can't imagine it being one of my Co-workers...
I think a quilt would be a great gift of comfort..
Take care and you friend and my sister(as we are in this industry) is in my prayers..

Lenie
November 5th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Wat verschrikkelijk Klasien! Ik had me al eens afgevraagd hoe gevaarlijk jouw werk in de gevangenis is.
En wat een geweldig gebaar, om haar een quilt te maken, en het kan jou ook nog helpen om de aandacht af te leiden. Zoiets meemaken, dat vergeet je nooit meer.

promqueen
November 5th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Hello - When I read your story about what happened I felt so sorry and sad. Like others have said you must be brave and a very strong person to work in a prison. I have no idea what that would be like. The thought of that much violence on another human makes me sick. I'm a nurse and have seen my share of trauma after the fact but to see one person being attacked like that is a totally different story. God Bless You for doing that kind of work. You all need to talk about it and get those feelings out I'm sure you know that. As far as quilting something nice for your friend I think that says a lot about what kind of person you are. The only pattern I thought was easy was the big star but I'm not a seasoned quilter. Big Hugs to You and all of those you love and the rest of the people affected by this. I'll be thinking of you and of course prayers always..........Mary Ann

SuzyQue
November 5th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Prayers said. May God take this awful situation and use it for your good and His Glory. I can not imagine how you must be feeling. May you find comfort in creating a quilt for your friend, in talking with others, and in knowing that you are not alone. What an awful situation! Many, many have been hurt here.

Klasien
November 5th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Klaisen,
I know this worry as I am a prison guard..we lostt a fellow officer at a sister facility when the inmates rioted a few months ago...I can't imagine it being one of my Co-workers...
I think a quilt would be a great gift of comfort..
Take care and you friend and my sister(as we are in this industry) is in my prayers..

I know how it feels, another co-worker of mine (also female) was killed by an inmate about 5 years ago.......and now we have to deal with this......... so much anger so much fear..........

Next week I have to go back in there, I know I can do it, I know I am strong enough, but for now I need to talk and to handle this situation, making a quilt will help me (again) to get my mind off of things......

Love to all!!!!!!

Swedish leo
November 5th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Lotīs of love and hugs to you! It is a hard work and you should be proud of what you do, even if some day is harder then most.

auntiemern
November 5th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Oh Klaisen. So sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers being said for a speedy recovery, both physically and mentally. I am also praying for all of your other co workers, and you as well. I certainly hope they will be providing counseling to all of you. I would either do a big block quilt or a JRR. Either will go together quickly. Hugs and prayers for you. (((Klasien)))

GrammaBabs
November 5th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Klasien.. my heart goes out to you and your co worker... That's a very brave job you've been doing.. not sure if i could... I don't even like "driving the highway"... people are so out of touch about safety etc... but the put yourself in that harms way every time you go to work... never............ Thank God for people like you i guess.... Be safe dear friend... i'm guessing it's about as safe as they can make it, but you can never know another's mind for sure...I think the JellyRoll quilt as well,,, my sceap quilt with the large squares was easy and fast, but it just depends on what fabrics you find.... Good Luck... i will pray for your friend... stay safe dear friend... hugs GBabs

Gayle8675309
November 5th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Oh Klaisen I am sooo sorry to hear this! I feel so terrible for all of you who have to work there. I am praying that your friend will heal quickly, both physically and emotionally.

Gayle

shannonsaulter
November 5th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I know how it feels, another co-worker of mine (also female) was killed by an inmate about 5 years ago.......and now we have to deal with this......... so much anger so much fear..........

Next week I have to go back in there, I know I can do it, I know I am strong enough, but for now I need to talk and to handle this situation, making a quilt will help me (again) to get my mind off of things......

Love to all!!!!!!

I am always here for you..I know that everyone there will pull together and get eachother through this and we are here for you..Please keep us posted. (((HUGS)))

dwil23
November 5th, 2012, 05:08 PM
So terrible. We take for granted all of you who work with prisoners every day inside jails as well as the officers on the outside who put their lives and safety in harms way everyday. Praying for your friend and everyone there who is dealing with the emotional aftermath of this horrible incident.

K. McEuen
November 5th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend and the worry you must have about having to go to work there each week. Prayers for her full recovery.

A double slice layer cake is fast and easy as well. Even if you don't have a layer cake, cutting large squares to start with should go pretty fast.

rebeccas-sewing
November 5th, 2012, 08:55 PM
So sorry to hear this, Klasien. How was he able to have enough freedom to do that much damage? I don't understand how she was made so vulnerable.

alliek
November 5th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Klaisen, so sorry to hear about your friend. My prayers with her for healing and you for peace. The quilt will warm her heart and help you to feel better, - What a sad sad person who could do such a thing, what happened in their life to make them be so brutal and lose such control. Takes your breath away. God Bless and protect you in His Loving Care.

bopeep
November 5th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Oh.....Klasien......I am so sorry to hear this.......Your friend is in my PRAYERS.......You are in my Prayers as well.......I can't imagine how this must make you feel ........I guess sad & mad is about right.........I hope you have someone you can talk to...........Thanks for sharing with us........we all can Pray........right now that is what is needed.......
{{{HUGS}}} & {{{{PRAYERS}}}}
bopeep

janluna
November 5th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Klasien, I'm so sorry your friend had this happen to her. Many prayers being said for her recuperation. Also for your safety on the job. My friend Tonya worked in an all female prison. She says the female prisoners were deemed more violent than the guys. That is a very tough job you all do. God Bless and keep you and your co-workers safe. Prayers being said for both you and your injured friend.
Hugs, Jan L.

RFREE
November 5th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I am so sorry your friend had to go through this.I don't know how you do it. People are mean to the core now a days.Like you say you never know what to expect from minute to minute. I am praying your friend has no permanent damage physically. The mental aspect of all of this is staggering. God bless your friend and anyone who works in such a hostile environment.

BellasQuilts
November 5th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Meisje, you just take care of yourself when you go back to work. Don't take chances please. I love the idea of a quilt for her, it will definitely get you focused on the right things. We are here for you, you know that. Sending prayers for your coworker and you too!

Jess1377
November 6th, 2012, 12:42 AM
My heart and prayers are going out for you and your friend for fast healing and peace of mind and heart as well. I cant imagine what your going through, take one day at a time and take care of yourself. Good luck with that quilt, I am sure it will be great!

Klasien
November 6th, 2012, 05:02 AM
So sorry to hear this, Klasien. How was he able to have enough freedom to do that much damage? I don't understand how she was made so vulnerable.

They were about to go back into their cels........she told him to go to his......and he just flipt......it all happend in a split second.....he is a tall and very strong guy, she was on the floor in a second and he started kicking her with his feet.......when other guards came he was back to normal and she was a mess............it is hard to explain how this can happen if you are not familiar with how things go in prison, she asked a normal question, his respons was terrible, there was no fight, no argument, just letting the men go back to their cel, normal routine.......but not this time........

She is doing a little better, still in the hospital and no resluts back from her scans, she also lost all her teeth..........
The hard part for me is not only the worry and the anger for her being so brutal atacced, but it is also looking at my DH and kids knowing.........it could be me in that hospital bed, and I see his face all the time in my head, I know who did this, I wish I did not.........I did not sleep very well last night, his face and the face of the man who came after me a couple of years ago, where in my mind all night........I will have a coffee and get back to my quilt.

Thank you all so much for the support, I am sure we all will get through this, we are aware of the place we work again..........

Thanks again
((((HUGS))))

Eliza
November 6th, 2012, 06:14 AM
I just want to say that my thoughts are with you and your friend. Please look after yourself. Hugs.