PDA

View Full Version : Ok It is Sunday and where is everyone?

Monique
November 4th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Good morning everyone. Did you all remember to set your clocks back? I actually stayed in bed until 7:30 new time. Yeah is me!!

Today I will be at the "Rock" here in town for our Remembrance Day service at 11. This afternoon, our friends are coming over and we are going out for dinner and some horse racing. Will be fun.

I did get that sewing table on Friday. Not I need to reorganize my sewing room AGAIN. I will get this figured out somehow. Getting my SS swap done, a little of this and a little of that.

Well that is about all for me this fine day.

Have a blessed day all and as Blondie would say SMILE

buckeyequilter
November 4th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Good morning....

I've been up for awhile now....the dogs decided 6:30 was late enough to sleep.

I've been working on a quilt top. Think I might put another row on and then go back to quilting on my daughter's quilt. There's a couple other small projects I need to get done - when I get tired of quilting then I might start those so I can get them out of the way.

Still praying for all those that were affected by the hurricane. Well need to get a load of laundry in and then get to my sewing room. Have a wonderful day everyone!

DCM
November 4th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I remembered to set the clocks back. Unfortunately the dog's usual 5:30 became 4:30 this morning :( I think a nap will be in order this afternoon. I hope to make a lot of progress on a baby quilt for a friend's new grandson. I have so many projects waiting to be done! Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!

MRoy
November 4th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I'm here. It was good to sleep in a bit this morning. It's cold and damp here today...a good day to stay in and sew! Have a great day.

pcbatiks
November 4th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Good morning.........my dogs woke me up early today too. It usually takes a day or two for them to adjust to the time change......so I got up & have been catching up on the forum. I've posted pictures from the Houston quilt show on 3 separate post because we had quite a few pictures.....plus a post talking about the Houston show......so much to see and do! It was fun and inspiring! Got to meet Trish while we were there. She will probably have pictures to post also. Good to see that May in Jersey is okay. I think I have everything for my SS now....got a couple of goodies from the Quilt show. I think my SS will like them :D I hope everyone has a great week!

Jean Sewing Machine
November 4th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I napped late yesterday so I worked on a quilt until midnight! Wanted to see if the atomic clocks in my workspace actually would "phone home" and change to the new time--no. I'm making the chevron quilt using Moda's Half Moon Modern fabric. The number of colored pieces in that collection is not the same,(10 blue and 10 red, 5 yellow and orange) so to make the quilt, I needed two layer cakes of the colored fabric and a layer cake of white. This is going to be one expensive quilt! I have all the blocks sewn, cut and pressed, and I've laid out all the rows except the last two rows, my table isn't big enough. It is going to make a nice size queen quilt.

Has anyone made half square triangles using Jenny's method? Here's my concern. After you sew your center seam of the HST on the straight of grain, (arond the edges of the 10" layer cake square), then cut the square on the diagonal both directions, you have a nice half square triangle, but all the edges are now bias edges. I'm fearful of sewing these together that they will stretch out of shape. There are 144 blocks in the quilt, that will be a lot of starch if I should starch every block before sewing them together. Have any of you done this style of HST before? Do you have any tips for me? I've made plenty of HST quilts, but never one with bias edges, because I used the standard way of making them, draw a diagonal line across the square, sew 1/4" on either side, then cut in half.

I bought some black Bella Solid basic layer cakes, if this works out, I'm going to make one using Patternista and black. I said I'd never make another black quilt because of my blonde shedding kitty, but I have the fabric, so I guess I need to do something with it. I'm making one of my bedrooms (guest bedroom) a "black and white" motif room, so I will break my promise not to make a black quilt, just get the lint roller out and hope the cat doesn't sleep on that bed that much!

Last day of my play--whooppee! Now I get to do loads of stinky laundry and get the stuff stored somewhere. I'll be glad this part of my costuming history is over!

Cold here, there is frost on the pumpkin. I wonder if my perennials will be killed by it. I have an absolutely huge mum blooming in my front bed, hope it can last a few more weeks, because it is prettier than it has ever been. And it is a hardy little sucker, it has wintered over for about 5 years now, but this year it grew like crazy, despite growing in 105+ heat this July for weeks on end! Lots of stuff grew well in the heat, including some unimaginably huge weeds!

CrazyMtnLady
November 4th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Good morning. No I didn't reset my clocks last night, but then the time is not too important for us usually...being the bums that we are! LOL
Have been up a while, DH just took off like a bat outta hell after some deer poachers on our road. We heard a truck coming up our road real slow (means road hunters ... deer season isn't even in yet) and then we heard the neighbor fire off a couple shots to let us know there we poachers on the road. This is the third day in a row! :icon_angry: It is bad enough we lost a lot of deer this summer to the Blue Tongue disease we don't need road hunters poaching deer too. And there is only 1 conservation officer for our whole county so it doesn't do much good to call him unless you have a license plate number and definite proof.
Been working on another baby/child's quilt top. This one has smiley faces on and a piano key inner border. Hope to get to the sandwich stage today.
Have a great day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

madampolo
November 4th, 2012, 11:14 AM
The quilt show has reknewed my energy for making quilts. I am headed out to work again.

rebeccas-sewing
November 4th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Yep! I haven't changed the kitchen clock yet but my watch and alarm clock are reset. Another sunny day in California. I really took that brilliant blue sky for granted before moving to my temporary digs in London. It's nice to be home even though I'm working pretty hard. I'm still steadily working on getting the place clean, organized, and de-cluttered. Three loads to charity so far. My most recent project is the downstairs bathroom. What a mess! The fellow living here for a year or more wouldn't open the window when showering. There's no vent in there so it's necessary to open that window. I came home to find the paint on the ceiling blistered and peeling over most of it and my lovely wallpaper coming away from the walls at most of the seams. I stripped off the wallpaper, did some spackling, sanded the ceiling, re-textured it, primed and painted it. Next up, I'll paint the walls. It's a really good thing it's a small bathroom. I haven't even gotten to the upstairs yet and I've been working steadily for about three weeks. No time for sewing!!!

Sandy Navas
November 4th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I'm here, too. Reading Rebecca's post plumb tuckered me out. I don't think at my age that I could tackle that . . . without my Yellow Pages.

Yesterday was a strange day. I added "Doris" to my Singer sewing machine collection. Doris was born December 29, 1914 and is a Model 66 Singer with Red Eye decals. She was absolutely filthy from being stored so many years. Actually looks as if she were hardly used because the decals are 'almost' pristine. Her cabinet drawers were absolutely over run with 'stuff'. I dumped everything out, cleaned her thoroughly and began sorting through spools of thread, bobbins, old needles, razor blades (seam rippers), tools, accessories, manuals, gadgets, and a pile of very strange items that were discarded. Doris needs a new belt (which I have but just need to attach), and she'll be ready to go. Her cabinet is gorgeous - only has a few minor spots that need to be touched up. I think she is going to stay upstairs with us. Al is even admiring her every time he passes by.

Not sure what's happening around here today. I'm in a strange funky mood. Let's just wait and see.

Hugs and prayers going out.

auntiemern
November 4th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I am here too. Just not an early riser, unless I have to be. Set all the clocks back last night. Made a 10 min table runner, love it. Then decided to make a runner using Jenny's big star tut, but on a smaller scale. Jean, I have been making my HST using Jenny's method, and I love it. Did that to make the big star and had no trouble at all. No matter how you make them, you are going to have a bias edge right? Off to get busy now that I am feeling a little better. Hugs and Blessings to all, and prayers for those in need.

auntiemern
November 4th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Got no use for poachers. I would turn in my own family for poaching. Get it legal, or don't get it at all. Several years ago DH had a huge buck stolen from the campground at Ft. Leonard Wood. Never camped on post again. I even put up flyers with a big reward for it's return. About a week later a man called and said he found the carcass, and the had just cut off the antlers. Now they don't take any chances with their deer.
Good morning. No I didn't reset my clocks last night, but then the time is not too important for us usually...being the bums that we are! LOL
Have been up a while, DH just took off like a bat outta hell after some deer poachers on our road. We heard a truck coming up our road real slow (means road hunters ... deer season isn't even in yet) and then we heard the neighbor fire off a couple shots to let us know there we poachers on the road. This is the third day in a row! :icon_angry: It is bad enough we lost a lot of deer this summer to the Blue Tongue disease we don't need road hunters poaching deer too. And there is only 1 conservation officer for our whole county so it doesn't do much good to call him unless you have a license plate number and definite proof.
Been working on another baby/child's quilt top. This one has smiley faces on and a piano key inner border. Hope to get to the sandwich stage today.
Have a great day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I'm here, too. Reading Rebecca's post plumb tuckered me out. I don't think at my age that I could tackle that . . . without my Yellow Pages.

Yesterday was a strange day. I added "Doris" to my Singer sewing machine collection. Doris was born December 29, 1914 and is a Model 66 Singer with Red Eye decals. She was absolutely filthy from being stored so many years. Actually looks as if she were hardly used because the decals are 'almost' pristine. Her cabinet drawers were absolutely over run with 'stuff'. I dumped everything out, cleaned her thoroughly and began sorting through spools of thread, bobbins, old needles, razor blades (seam rippers), tools, accessories, manuals, gadgets, and a pile of very strange items that were discarded. Doris needs a new belt (which I have but just need to attach), and she'll be ready to go. Her cabinet is gorgeous - only has a few minor spots that need to be touched up. I think she is going to stay upstairs with us. Al is even admiring her every time he passes by.

Not sure what's happening around here today. I'm in a strange funky mood. Let's just wait and see.

Hugs and prayers going out.

Doris was born the same year my mother was born, 1914. Is it considered an antique if it is only 98 years old and not 100? I'll bet you are having fun cleaning that up!

lilmouse
November 4th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Morning all, Jean, I have used Jenny's method for half square triangles with no problems either....just be careful not to stretch them...love her method!
Donna, I hate poachers too! Especially when they waste like that...after the antlers and nothing else....so sad!
Glad the ladies had a good time at the show
Got called into work today..so no sewing until late tonight and I work a long day tomorrow so an early night as well! Now have three quilts totally done....numbers four and five are ready for quilting and then I start all over again...but I am getting there...my COC quilt I am hand sewing down the binding on and it's half done...so I am getting there...hoping to mail all my stuff on Tuesday! Have everything for my SS; just have to pack it up and ship!
Everyone enjoy your day and I will check back in tonight! Hugs and prayers for all in need!

bkthomas
November 4th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Hey Monique, Thanks for the Blondie Smile!!!
A lot of deep cleaning being done here today - 2 of the 4 Grands were found to have lice and DD is in cleaning mode!!! The 2 oldest girls have had their hair done and colored, all bedding has been washed and it seems the vacuum cleaner has been going for hours now! DD is like a drill seargent! OY
Me, I am working on a quilt for Chris - kind of a red/white and blue cheater panel with small scale big stars, when I'm not running from the vaccuum or doing dishes or folding towels!!!
Went through a bag of clothes that DD is getting rid of and found some decent shorts and 2 or 3 dresses to send to Ruby!
Happy Sunday to all - Catch ya later!

shannonsaulter
November 4th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Good Morning to ALL,
I to enjoyed a little extra sleep about an hour..lol..got home last night and my DD put my new sewing table together..and it firgures a shelf is missing am going to call Sauder and see if they will send they missing piece to me...I am looking forward to getting my sewing area all set up...But not today as I have to work...blah..
Well off to enjoy a lil coffee and family...

Cathy F
November 4th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Hi all!

It was a quiet morning here, slept in a little bit later than usual. Set the clocks back this morning I didn't remember till hubby reminded me. Been up in my sewing room today figured I'd sew since we can't go out, have to conserve the gas in the cars. Hopefully the gas stations will be back up and running in a few more days. Made two pretty cosmetic bags today and finished another little extra for my SS. I'm getting everything wrapped and hopefully if we can get gas I can get to the post office by the end of the week since it's going out of the country.

Sandy Navas
November 4th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Doris was born the same year my mother was born, 1914. Is it considered an antique if it is only 98 years old and not 100? I'll bet you are having fun cleaning that up!

Not a true antique in my mind. I still go by the 100 years. I have a couple who were born in 1913 so getting close - and one from 1892. Now, according to the 'newbies' who think anything over 50 is an antique, I guess I qualify . . .

Sandy Navas
November 4th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hey Monique, Thanks for the Blondie Smile!!!
A lot of deep cleaning being done here today - 2 of the 4 Grands were found to have lice and DD is in cleaning mode!!! The 2 oldest girls have had their hair done and colored, all bedding has been washed and it seems the vacuum cleaner has been going for hours now! DD is like a drill seargent! OY
Me, I am working on a quilt for Chris - kind of a red/white and blue cheater panel with small scale big stars, when I'm not running from the vaccuum or doing dishes or folding towels!!!
Went through a bag of clothes that DD is getting rid of and found some decent shorts and 2 or 3 dresses to send to Ruby!
Happy Sunday to all - Catch ya later!

I feel for your DD - does she know about using mayonaise on their heads? I so remember when I was in third grade and there was a note sent home that lice had been found on some students. My Mom and a cousin's mother went to the school and sprayed with DDT (yes, it used to be legal). Anyway, I was mortified that my Mother would do such a thing . . . don't know why it should have embarrassed me but I so remember feeling that way. They are so rampant in the schools though and easily passed from kid to kid.

dwil23
November 4th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I napped late yesterday so I worked on a quilt until midnight! Wanted to see if the atomic clocks in my workspace actually would "phone home" and change to the new time--no. I'm making the chevron quilt using Moda's Half Moon Modern fabric. The number of colored pieces in that collection is not the same,(10 blue and 10 red, 5 yellow and orange) so to make the quilt, I needed two layer cakes of the colored fabric and a layer cake of white. This is going to be one expensive quilt! I have all the blocks sewn, cut and pressed, and I've laid out all the rows except the last two rows, my table isn't big enough. It is going to make a nice size queen quilt.

Has anyone made half square triangles using Jenny's method? Here's my concern. After you sew your center seam of the HST on the straight of grain, (arond the edges of the 10" layer cake square), then cut the square on the diagonal both directions, you have a nice half square triangle, but all the edges are now bias edges. I'm fearful of sewing these together that they will stretch out of shape. There are 144 blocks in the quilt, that will be a lot of starch if I should starch every block before sewing them together. Have any of you done this style of HST before? Do you have any tips for me? I've made plenty of HST quilts, but never one with bias edges, because I used the standard way of making them, draw a diagonal line across the square, sew 1/4" on either side, then cut in half.

I bought some black Bella Solid basic layer cakes, if this works out, I'm going to make one using Patternista and black. I said I'd never make another black quilt because of my blonde shedding kitty, but I have the fabric, so I guess I need to do something with it. I'm making one of my bedrooms (guest bedroom) a "black and white" motif room, so I will break my promise not to make a black quilt, just get the lint roller out and hope the cat doesn't sleep on that bed that much!

Last day of my play--whooppee! Now I get to do loads of stinky laundry and get the stuff stored somewhere. I'll be glad this part of my costuming history is over!

Cold here, there is frost on the pumpkin. I wonder if my perennials will be killed by it. I have an absolutely huge mum blooming in my front bed, hope it can last a few more weeks, because it is prettier than it has ever been. And it is a hardy little sucker, it has wintered over for about 5 years now, but this year it grew like crazy, despite growing in 105+ heat this July for weeks on end! Lots of stuff grew well in the heat, including some unimaginably huge weeds!

Jean, sorry to say that stretching of the bias edges has been my experience with that method. Others like it and haven't had the same problem. I think for a project as large as you are doing, I would stick with the "old" method.