PDA

View Full Version : you know that 'no' word....................?

Divine Daisy
November 3rd, 2012, 10:37 PM
Oh dear oh dear... I used the word once and then today......bam! the Y word popped out!

I have been quietly beavering my way working on a wall hanging using some totally amazing Freedom Fabric. It is my Christmas Chicken design (long story, involves my sadly very demented but sometimes very funny mother), the colours are beautiful purples, mulberry and golds. Earlier in the week I took it with me into my friend Kay's shop to match thread and to show her and was rather smug at how she drooled over it. I was very pleased with it but its nice to have it confirmed.

Anyway, today I went back into the shop for some beads to embellish my Chicken which is actually a cockeral (please see mad mother detail from earlier.....same applies) and Kay tells me she was thinking about me at 4 o'clock this morning.. OK, very flattering but.......why???? Turn out what she was really thinking about was the Christmas Chicken lol and not really me. Could she buy him for her Christmas window?!

Over the years I have made her several quilts for her themed windows..... the most recent an Olympic quilt and always gifted them to her, mostly she provides the fabrics but she insisted she wanted to buy the chicken. I told her....but Kay, I will lend it to you for the window........nope, that wouldn't do......so eventually I said...... no because I could not charge you what I would normally sell it for.......... you must she said!........sighssssss......I named a price half of what I would usually get for a wall hanging that has taken this amount of work and the deal was done. She doesn't know the price I set was half.

So my Christmas Chicken has been sold and I must pray I can get some more fabric to make another because I had decided that he simply must stay with us and spend every Christmas making me smile about my crazy but devine Mother.

Now....what was that 'no' word again?

auntiemern
November 3rd, 2012, 10:44 PM
Oh my dear Daisy. So sorry that you slipped, and said that dreaded 'Y' word. It will take some practice, but you will get better at saying NO. Just as the little engine that could, just keep repeating ' I think I can, I think I can' and in no time you will be able to do it without any regrets. Hang tough hun, I know you can do it.

bopeep
November 3rd, 2012, 11:22 PM
Yes............. it is hard to say No and stay with it sometimes.......sorry ......your Chicken is gone......Praying that you can make another.....but can we atleast see pix.....
bopeep

HandsOffItsMine
November 3rd, 2012, 11:42 PM
Hmmm, Ohhh Myyyyy. The Sky is Falling Christmas Chicken Said. :) A picture of our dear Xmas Cockeral is in order.

Saying "No" is tough, at least it's not a whole quilt! Maybe you can make it a practice to tell folks you'll be "payforwarding" your labor to a worthy cause dear to your heart. That way you can bill for the full hours that such a wonderful wallhanging really takes or window quilt takes that you do for her window. Something to think about for 2013. :)

I'm going to put try to put this into practice myself. There are way too many homeless/poor children here on the Island and then the NICU/PICU/Foster Care children on the Mainland that need my focus in 2013.

It will be a No with a positive spin!

auntiemern
November 3rd, 2012, 11:56 PM
I like your way of thinking Ruby. "No with a positive spin"
Hmmm, Ohhh Myyyyy. The Sky is Falling Christmas Chicken Said. :) A picture of our dear Xmas Cockeral is in order.

Saying "No" is tough, at least it's not a whole quilt! Maybe you can make it a practice to tell folks you'll be "payforwarding" your labor to a worthy cause dear to your heart. That way you can bill for the full hours that such a wonderful wallhanging really takes or window quilt takes that you do for her window. Something to think about for 2013. :)

I'm going to put try to put this into practice myself. There are way too many homeless/poor children here on the Island and then the NICU/PICU/Foster Care children on the Mainland that need my focus in 2013.

It will be a No with a positive spin!

Jean Sewing Machine
November 4th, 2012, 12:11 AM
It's sometimes hard to say no when people are waving money in yor face, but why didn't you tell her the real price? You deserve to be paid well after all you've one for her to make her shop look good.

bkthomas
November 4th, 2012, 01:03 AM
I so hope you find the fabric you need - please let us know if we can help!!!

phoots
November 4th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Daisy, I'd love to see a picture of your Christmas Chicken. Also, Ruby, you are so very right!

Pam in Vegas

janluna
November 4th, 2012, 04:33 AM
:icon_wave:I would love seeing you chicken too. I love chickens. All your work is Awesome Alison. How is Mom doing? She recently had a heart attack didn't she. I know you were trying to see to her and Stewart at the same time. I remember how hard it was to be in two places at the same time. I was lucky that my Mom was close by. That made watching over Daddy a little easier since they were both ill. And my step brother and step mom weren't well either. I was one busy person, trying to juggle kids, Hubby, Mom, Dad, Aunt and step Mom and step Brother and myself all at the same time. Not a "fun" time in my life. My husband is cute, he says the grace before dinner. He always says "Please make the people on our prayer chain healthy such as, Mr. and Mrs. Daisy and Grandmother Daisy," etc. He always starts with our Emily and immediate family, but when he starts our prayer list names you and Mr. Daisy and Grandmother Daisy are always first. I feel blessed that he prays for my online friends. Most husbands wouldn't do that. He knows I worry about all of you. How are you and Stewart doing? Is the transplant successful? Or don't they know yet? Anyway, we care about all of you. Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L. :icon_hi: ​

Monique
November 4th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Saying the NO word can be very daunting. Keep practicing. Say 'nnnnnnnnnn' then 'ooooooooo' and pucker your lips when you say 'ooooooooo'!!

MRoy
November 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Bless your heart! You're too kind for your own good! Remember, practice makes perfect so just keep practicing "No".

CrazyMtnLady
November 4th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I think you should have told her the real price. Like: "Normally I would charge $xxx but I will only charge you half." You are way too talented to NOT get paid what you are worth.

Sandy Navas
November 4th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Ah, that's the time that I would DOUBLE my normal price. And I'd tell her to furnish all the materials and you'd make her another one 'at your leisure'. One of these days you will be remembered as the Rembrantesse of stitching.

Claire Hallman
November 4th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Sandy is so right, you should not have to sell your work for a reduced price. You are worth it, so get what is proper and let her provide the material so you can make another for your Mom.