PDA

View Full Version : MSY IN JERSEY IS OK

MayinJerset
November 3rd, 2012, 10:00 PM
As of Sat. noon we still had no power, no land phone and no heat. Tired of freezing our .... off we took off tor the day to PA, having a nice hot dinner, staying at a nice motel relaxing and also having access to motel's computer. Will return to Jersey tomorrow and if our power is still off will stay with son Pat and wife MJ in another area of Jersey that has power. Our other son who lives in NJ also has no power and was going to his DD"s upstate who has power and heat.

Sandy did very little damage to our home and area, trees down and some siding and roofing blown away but near by towns along the bay and ocean are mostly gone. National guard is in those towns. We don't know much about what is going on as we have no TV, radio info really stinks. Thanking God and we're all OK and saying prayers for all those less fortunate. May

Monique
November 3rd, 2012, 10:02 PM
It is good to know that you are ok. I can not imagine the destruction. Take care.

pcbatiks
November 3rd, 2012, 10:03 PM
So glad too hear you are okay! Hope you have power soon. Prayers to those in your area.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 3rd, 2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks for letting us know how you are and how things in general are. This is a terrible time of year to be without power.

New York Sue
November 3rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
So glad to hear you're okay, and your home sustained minimal damage! I sure was worried about you!
So, so sad, the havoc this has caused in some lives. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to loose your home, and have nothing left but a pile of rubble!
Welcome back, May! ;)

HandsOffItsMine
November 3rd, 2012, 10:29 PM
Oh May, Don and I are so glad to hear you and your family are ok! I've been telling him that I've been sorrying about you, that you haven't checked it. Hoping that you were without power, not hurt.

Glad you're warm and toasty. :) Same with your son/DIL.

(((May))) got to know about your A&Ps you know. ;)

Huggers, Ruby

BellasQuilts
November 3rd, 2012, 10:36 PM
Glad to hear you are ok, May!

auntiemern
November 3rd, 2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks be to God that you are alright. I have been worried sick over you. So very glad to hear that you suffered no serious damage. Prayers still going out to all those affected by 'Sandy'. Stay warm and dry, and know that you have friends here that care. ((((May))))

Jess1377
November 3rd, 2012, 10:40 PM
May~ its so good to hear from you and that your home is pretty much ok. No flooding then right? While your in PA you should get a battery operated radio from target or walmart or something. Maybe even an am/fm weather radio to keep you informed. Maybe you guys can get a discounted rate if you tell the hotel mgr why your there?? That wouldnt hurt to ask eh? ;)

bopeep
November 3rd, 2012, 11:45 PM
May....so glad to hear from you.......I am sure it feels good to get a hot shower and a hot meal.......and a warm place to stay.......we are Praying that you will soon have power.......
Also Praying for everyone in your area ........
{{{HUGS}}} & {{{{PRAYERS}}}}
bopeep

meemeecyn
November 4th, 2012, 12:24 AM
So good to hear from you, May! We had all been worried. Glad to hear the devastation wasn't as bad as it could be and that you were able to get away for some warm water and lights. Can't imagine how the ole folks did it 100 years ago!
Take care, and hope you are back to normal real soon.
Cynthia

bkthomas
November 4th, 2012, 12:58 AM
So good to hear from you!!! I know Blondie and everyone else will be glad to see this from you also! God Bless!

lilmouse
November 4th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Thank the Lord you are okay....we have all been worried and hoping it was just no power.....glad you are ok!

Winniesfriend
November 4th, 2012, 04:37 AM
So glad to hear you are OK, I cant imagine how terrible it must be without power for so long, at least you are managing a night away to get warm.

Bubby
November 4th, 2012, 07:59 AM
May, I'm thrilled to hear you and your family are okay. Having no power gets old quick! In May 2009 we were without power for almost 3 weeks following a tornado. I hope your power comes back soon. Huggs, Barb

Cathy F
November 4th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Glad to hear you are ok and had minimal damage to your home.

Ginny B
November 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM
So glad to hear from you May. Was concerned because I wasn't sure where in Jersey you were and I heard how bad it was there (didn't see it since we too still have no power/heat, etc.). We came to Brooklyn to my sister's for the weekend to get hot showers, etc. I got to see tv when I got here. Such devastation. My cousins in S.I. had major damage to their house and it has been deemed structurally unsound by FEMA . :( Heading back to Long Island shortly and as far as I know, we still don't have power.

Hopefully you will get your power back and be able to be at home again. Glad you are safe.

Ginny B

CrazyMtnLady
November 4th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Glad to hear you are okay.

Sandy Navas
November 4th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Whew - so glad you've been able to check in. I don't think there is anyway to imagine the devastation and how many people have totally had their lives turned upside down, inside out and backwards. Heart-breaking.

MayinJerset
November 4th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Thank you my dear quilting friends for all your concerns and prayers.

We're back home tonight as our power has been restored, glad I can get on internet but land phone is still out. Minor inconveniences compared to others just across the highway from me. Neighbor saw a house sitting on the highway near us, it was pushed up there by the very high tides and winds, surge mainly stayed on the other side of the highway in our area except for the next intersection after ours. It quickly receded but that's the first time in 50 years I've heard of any flooding in our section. Many stores are open and hopefully are getting restocked with perishables. Gas is rationed in our area, can only fill up on odd or even numbered days according to last digist on our car's plates. Don't know if public schools will open this week, DGD Catherine is a specail ed teacher and she's waiting to hear the latest from her school district.

Felt strange being in PA where everyone was going about their regular Saturday errands and activities. While there we finally got to see some photos and videos of what the Jersey Shore looks like after Sandy. Donated some clothes to local church before we left and checked at the church on our way home today but they are not accepting any more donations as they are beginning to distribute clothes, shoes and other supplies. My Guild was supposed to have our Harvest Supper on Thursday everning, and hope our meeting place has power as we certainly will want to plan some disaster quilt sew ins ASAP. Now I know why I made all those crumb blocks a few weeks ago, they will be turned into some quick quilts. Tired and going to have a nice hot cup of tea and relax, will tackle the fridge and freezer tomorrow. The 6 bags of ice that we were given by the National Guard really kept them cold while we were gone. Not that we have much in either the fridge or freezer - everyone had to dump food because we couldn't keep them frozen or cold enough, some people cooked up a storm in their driveways offering BBQ to everyone who passed. Thank you all again for your concern and prayers, Hugs to all, May

PS: Forgot to mention, traffic lights were out so police put barrels with stop signs at intersections and for the main part drivers were very respectful and let everyone take their turn making turns, etc.
Ginny, I would have gone to my sister's in Brooklyn too but didn't know if we could get through Staten Island.