PDA

View Full Version : FRIDAY

Blondie
November 2nd, 2012, 06:58 AM

Happy Friday Folksies

Gosh I am moving slow this morning. I slept HARD last night and really wanted some more winks. I am still working on my first cuppa and still have to put Gracie out for her morning constitutional. I am off to turn the news off as I just can't listen to more of the devastation of that horrible storm. What a helpless feeling. I think it is time to put on some music. Let me get another cup of coffee . . .

Well, I am wide awake NOW. Remember when I mentioned that I repotted a lot of my plants before bringing them in the other day. Some didn't get the repotting. I just couldn't get to all of them and ran out of fresh mix. What a mistake. I should have sent Luscious to get more. Why? A huge spider on my kitchen floor. When I say huge I do not mean large. I mean HUMONGOUS. I couldn't find the fly swatter and really really really didn't want to feel the crunch under my slipper. So, I brought the metal trash can over and lowered the boom. I swear to you it screamed "Nooooooo" to me. I hate spiders. And you thought spiders that large were only in Halloween decorations. It is still on the floor as a testament to my bravery and for proof to my man that I do not exaggerate when it comes to them. He is always saying, oh c'mon. It couldn't be that big. Now you know why I get my Sis to do weeding around certain trees in my yard. I don't like them jumping out of the dirt scaring the snot out of me. I have a feeling I will be in spasms of paranoia all day.

I wish you a wonderful Friday full of good news, fabric to touch, happy children laughing and oh yes, no surprise spiders. SMILE!

Blessings
Blondie

RFREE
November 2nd, 2012, 07:05 AM
TGIF!!!!!!!!! Thanks Blondie for the spider story. I hate them as well. Real bad.All I can say is don't get in my way if a spider makes an appearance around me! Not much planned this weekend other than work on my SS box.Time is a ticking ladies!
Everyone have a great day.
Hugs from Ky
Rhonda

Monique
November 2nd, 2012, 07:07 AM
Good morning Blondie. I am the same way with dogs. Petrified to say the least.

I did NOTHING yesterday. I did take a load to the church of clothes and stuff I no longer needed. Ending up buying a few things. I purchased a winter coat for Sadie $4 and snow pants $2 that match. Can't beat that price. I bought this really cute snow globe train for $5. My DIL collects snow globes.

I have been having a hard time with the SS swap. I just haven't got it in me to make much of anything. Her box will be full and I hope she is not too disappointed in me. I might have a last minute burst of creativity. Who knows!

Today, I am going to have a look at that sewing table I found on Kiijiijii (sp). Hopefully I will be bringing that home with me today. I might feel like sewing then.

I had my SIL here for a inpromptu dinner. Had a really good visit.

That's what my day is shaping up to be. Hope you all have a fantastic day.

MRoy
November 2nd, 2012, 08:15 AM
Good morning! Blondie, thanks for the laugh with your spider story. I'm not too afraid of spiders, but I'm afraid of strange dogs due to an incident when I was a child so Monique and I have something in common there.

I agree with Rhonda...TGIF!!!! I've been up since before 3:00 so it's going to be a looonnngggg day.

buckeyequilter
November 2nd, 2012, 08:28 AM
Morning all...

TGIF...I am looking forward to the week-end because I can sew or do whatever I want for 2 days :) I might go to my LQS tomorrow for some fabric thearpy...haven't been there for a couple of weeks...having withdrawals.

I thought I'd take a break from working on DD's quilt and so I got out a layer cake and decided to try the Double Slice Layer Cake...quick and easy! I didn't even have to replay the tutorial.

I also need to get busy on the house - curtains to wash, bedding to wash, a curio and all the crap in it - to dust (DH won't touch that), and just general cleaning. I saw someone on here said she sets her timer for 1 hour so she can get some housework done. Maybe I'll set mine for an hour and clean house. Then reset for an hour - sew (or whatever) and keep that up until I'm done.

Blondie....I hate spiders too - we have those big, black, hairy wolf spiders and they run fast. When those things bite....they pinch hard and leave a big red, itchy place on the skin, I finally had to go to the doctor to get ointment to clear it up.

Still praying for all our friends affected by the hurricane and prayers to all the others that need them. Have a wonderful day!

NanaB
November 2nd, 2012, 08:28 AM
Blondie! Your story reminds me of the other week when I was on a quilting retreat at HAW RIVER STATE PARK (should have invited you, huh?). A gal screamed and jumped up on her chair. We all thought it was a snake (it was still warm at that time). It was a spider! Another quilter killed it for her, but we all laughed about it afterward.

Have a great Friday, folks. Still thinking about those in the northeast who are struggling from the effects of Sandy.

Lonna
November 2nd, 2012, 08:30 AM
Good Morning Ladies,
Thanks for the spider story Blondie reminded me of when we first moved down South. We moved to LA. from CO. After we had been here for a few months Mom and Dad helped me get a small mobile home for me and my daughter as I was a single parent for about seven years. That first night I stayed in my new home I opened my brand new frig and saw the biggest bug I had even seen had to find a babyfood jar to catch it in so I could show Mom and Dad the next morning. Talk about a sight me trying to get this big old bug in this little jar. Really scared me when it started to fly at me. Well come to find out it was a Flying Pine Roach. Have hated the things ever since.

Not much going on around here today just another day of work. Got spoiled having the last two weekends off and having to work this Sat. Oh well just have to make it to next weekend and I will have the 11th and 12th off. Have a great day all.

kelliedi
November 2nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
only good spider is a dead one....IMHO

EnumclawGramma
November 2nd, 2012, 10:03 AM
Morning! Coffee, news, more coffee, forum and then work! Just a typical Friday for me. Rain and more rain here, and there's no end in sight. It's really fall, huh? Blondie, I hate spiders! Once in awhile we get really big ones in the house and I've been known to trap them under something for someone to take care of later. I don't like the crunch! Ugh! I don't want anything living in my house that can't sit at the table for dinner (with the exception of the dogs of course!) I need a trip to the LQS for some printable fabric, fabric for my charm square swap and other fun stuff. Hoping this happens this weekend. My SIL has gone to visit her sister for a few days. Nice break for all. Family dinner Saturday, a new monthly tradition for us here. Hoping I get to squeeze in some sewing time for me. I've got so many Christmas gifts to finish up!

Off to get started! Have a wonderful weekend everyone. Hugs and prayers to all who want/need.......***HUGS***

Sandy Navas
November 2nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
I get on here and read all the stories about how busy everyone is and I feel so plumb lazy. I've been sleeping hard, having weird dreams, talking to Al in my sleep, shouting out (he says), and just don't want to crawl out of bed in the morning. Me do likes me comfort.

Back to sewing some today. You know, if any of you use an embroidery machine you may be interested. I'm sewing out quilt labels so there are a lot of little letters. I usually don't have any problems with my embroidery work, but lettering has always been a major problem in that I wind up with bird's nests on the back. I've done EVERY thing recommended in forums/groups, by the dealer, internet searches, etc. To no avail. Yesterday I was getting so frustrated that I got out my manual and discovered if I went into my settings and turned off the AUTOMATIC JUMP CUT that my problem was totally SOLVED. DUH!!!! Not a blonde moment either. Now why couldn't my dealer know this? Every time I stitched a separate letter the machine was automatically cutting thread and pulling the top thread to the back of the piece with at least an inch hang-over - and as the next letter stitched it would become tangled underneath. I can't believe I didn't know this as I'd read the manual cover to cover before. Lesson learned!!

Wondering if I can somehow convince Al that we need to eat out tonight . . . maybe a promise of a huge pot of ham and beans for the week-end????

I'm like everyone else - feeling the twangs of pain for everyone who suffered with the ravages of this past storm - I am mind-boggled at how far-reaching the damages are. Unbelievable. Prayers to all.

And to all, a spider-free day. They don't bother me at all . . . but tree frogs? That's a different matter.

CrazyMtnLady
November 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Good morning. Spiders don't bother me, but DH is a big chicken around them and calls me in to take care of them!! I don't like snakes!

Got to town yesterday and was able to get my red and yellow fabric that I needed and found a really cute backing material too. I told DH that in the next couple weeks I needed to get some Christmas wrapping and a few things and he couldn't understand the Secret Sister Santa thing. MEN sometimes are not too smart. That is not including "our" guys on here, any man that quilts is one of the smartest around.

Got the memory card for the new camera so I will try to get a few pictures taken and posted as soon as I can.

Have a great day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

buckeyequilter
November 2nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
Wondering if I can somehow convince Al that we need to eat out tonight . . . maybe a promise of a huge pot of ham and beans for the week-end????

That's what DH is making for tonight. He knows he is only allowed to make them on Friday or Saturday *lol*

Sandy Navas
November 2nd, 2012, 11:40 AM
That's what DH is making for tonight. He knows he is only allowed to make them on Friday or Saturday *lol*

You know why people eat beans on Friday night?

So they can take a bubble bath on Saturday.

lilmouse
November 2nd, 2012, 12:26 PM
For those who love to eat bean soup if you put a little vinegar in with the beans while they are cooking it should take care of the "tooting" that usually follows.....works great with lentil soup, should with bean soup too.
Morning Everyone, I am fine....will be joining the ladies this morning for our sewing group...yeah! Did a total; in one week or 10 days I have quilted 5 quilts, binding on three, two completely done and one just needs the binding sewn down in back and one ready for binding......making progress....of course my entire body hurts, but just a little; work tonight and tomorrow and then back to sewing all day on Sunday....will knock this out. Hoping to ship COC quilt on Tuesday to Blondie...we will see!
Everyone have a great day, prayers for all and hugs too....Smile!

quilter.martha
November 2nd, 2012, 12:30 PM

We have a saying at our house: The best thing to make for supper is reservations!

shannonsaulter
November 2nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
Happy Friday to you all...to bad its my Monday..BLAH...thats ok though I will work the next 6 and have 4 off...Have a great day and enjoy..

bakermom
November 2nd, 2012, 12:56 PM
cold again here today, the"S" word has been mentioned in the forecast. I've been working on a "take 5" type of quilt this last week. I have one set of blocks to finish before I set them together. I saw the quilt made up in the store and really loved the fabric-cute little farm animals. I didn't have anyone in mind for it but just found out a friends DD is having a boy so I think it will have a home.
Also, I want to start a quilt for GD. She will be moving up to a twin bed soon. I have a 5 yd. fabric bundle I bought with this in mind. Pinks, light purples and yellow.

As far as spiders are concerned, the only good one is a dead one near me. i do have one DD that will throw them outside. Yech! no, as much as I hate to hear them crunch I'm not giving them the chance to get me a second time.

auntiemern
November 2nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
Morning, yes it is still technically morning, to all. I know how you feel Blondie, about the news and spiders. I had a post on one a while back. Biggest one I had ever seen. Had to turn off the news last night, as I was getting to upset to watch. Prayers being said for all of those poor folks. Still extremely worried about May, since we haven't heard from her yet. Got to get some stuff in the mail today, and really gonna try to sew something. Might take my mind off my aching, swollen jaw. DH looked with flashlight and said it is looking good though. Got another fair next week end and would like to get a few more small things done up. Hugs and Blessings to all, and prayers for those in need.

Claire Hallman
November 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM
Spiders, yuck! I have brought in a bunch of house plants and so far no spiders but an influx of gnats that are driving me nuts. There was even a live one in the freezer, tough little critters and fast, too.
I need to get off the computer and on with some sewing, have a lovely day and weekend to all. Hope our north east friends are OK.

Granny Judy
November 2nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
This is for all you Spider Lovers.....LOL

Bringing up the rear again.. Cause I've been lazy. Day two without pain and getting caught up on my sleep. Before it was naps in the recliner. I did alot of knitting inbetween just to keep my hands busy, mind active and off the abdominal troubles. Thank goodness for Pain Meds.. (It's an ongoing problem that has improved with the surgery in 2010.. Gerd with Hernia repaired. but I still have spells of too much acid and not being able to tolerate the Acid Stopping drugs. Side EFFECTS are worse.)

got to take down the outside Halloween decor while the sun is shinning.... Get thru Thanksgiving before even thinking about Christmas Decor. DD#2 loves Halloween and I love Christmas!! So we kinda go all out around here. I really want to get a wall hanging for T/giving done, but it isn't looking too good right now. Christmas is creeping up on me and I haven't started anything yet. I want to make ornaments.. vintage style hearts n stars.

bkthomas
November 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
Eeeek! That was a shock, Thanks Granny Judy!!!!!

quiltingtrish
November 2nd, 2012, 07:12 PM
Spiders - if I see one, they are gone. Flys too. Can't stand them. I did do pretty good with the spiders on the front porch this summer. Everytime I went outside (day or night), out came the broom and away they went. At least when I sat on my chairs, I didn't get bit.
The 's' word. It is not mentioned around here and they mentioned it on the news tonight for maybe Wednesday. Uh - no! The girls start their job on the 4th and neither one has driven in the snow. Guess DH better take them both out once it does start. I will not be getting much sleep this winter especially since they are talking about moving out in the middle of November - will have to drive over an hour during rush hour to get to their job, and then back to their place at 3 AM. Well, at least there should not be too many people out on the road at that time, but still. For those that don't know, I won't get in a vehicle when there is that stuff on the road. Not even as a passenger. My body literally goes into spasms. I do everyone a favor and stay clear.
Well, tomorrow is another craft show. My friend and I are going to try and sell some table runners and other small quilty items. This is the show that we did last year where noone was selling anything. Lots of lookers, really think it's the economy. Why buy a table runner for $12. when you can get a cheaper one at the dollar store? OK, then if you aren't going to spend the money on something handmade and here in America, why even bother to go to the craft shows at all? Aarrgh.
Political calls - Sandusky scandel (right in our backyard) - now they got a Priest that stole thousands of dollars in jail - geesh!!! Needless to say I don't watch the news much these days myself.

Well, best get moving here. It's the first of the month so need to write out some bills and find out just how broke we really are.

Smile everyone! It could be worse!
Hugs,

toggpine
November 2nd, 2012, 10:04 PM
End of the day and I'm just checking in.
I had to go to the school to figure out what the child was trying to tell me about buckets and stars and dippers and fillers. Emily has some trouble with her speech and gets frustrated when we don't get what she wants to tell us. This is even harder when she doesn't fully understand what the situation is. The bucket in question is your self esteem bucket. Apparently you are a "Bucket Filler" when you are nice to people, smile at them, give complements, and are helpful. You are a "Bucket Dipper" when you say hurtful things, argue, or are mean. This makes so much more sense now.
I then stayed to help with some other classroom things.
We are now on the way out the door to have birthday dinner with the step-son. Catch you all alter!
Cath

missourifan
November 2nd, 2012, 10:20 PM
Don't know the whole thread - new to this but love MO Quilt company. Anyway, love what you wrote and the thought is not only wonderful but very deep in a very simple way. Makes me think one could make a great quilt about it for a child - or the child at heart. Makes me think of the lessens we learned as children but don't always practice as adults - which we need to practice much more in these times of disaster and pettiness and . . .

dwil23
November 3rd, 2012, 04:23 AM
Laughing at your spider story. I remember when my cousin - a big strapping guy - saw one and got so upset all he could say was he saw a "spiker". I don't like them, don't want them around me, but I'm not afraid of them. Now a roach (or palmetto bug as some people call them) scares the be-jeebers out of me. They must die. I will drown them in wasp spray - because I can spray them from 20 feet away.

toggpine
November 3rd, 2012, 04:36 AM
Sorry that last post was a bit scattered & rushed the family literally decided to leave that minute and were walking out the door without me.

The conversation with Em (age 6) started Thursday night. She was trying to tell me about how Josh had said some bad things and dipped her bucket. I had no clue what she was talking about. She kept trying to sign that she was putting some thing into a big pocket on her shirtfront. Her phrases for things can sometimes be ... interesting. A watch is a clock for your arm; and if you vomit, your tummy spills, and so on. Without having any background or context for this conversation, it made it pretty frustrating for both of us. She even tried to draw me a picture, which after seeing the poster today, was pretty dang accurate. She just did not have the vocabulary to explain that the bucket was your self esteem/feelings. To keep us both from going insane trying to figure out how to get me to understand, we agreed I would take her to school and she could show me the bucket, and I could ask the teacher if I still didn't understand.
The school counselor was coming in to explain the "Bucket" thing to the kids, so I got in on her explanation too. The kids get to write down the names of their classmates when they see them being "Bucket Fillers". At some point, when the classroom's bucket is full, the whole class will get a popcorn party. It is an interesting idea for building up the kids ability to see the good in their classmates. Perhaps a bit corny, but we'll see if it helps.
I also helped out in class for an hour getting things prepped for some reading activities. I hadn't really planned on that, but it wasn't really a problem to help out, it just put me later getting to the errands.
From there I ran back home and picked up my coupons, the burned out sewing machine light and headed out. I found the light bulb at Lowes Hardware! Whoo Hoo! Just a heads up, if you have one of those little 12 volt-5 watt xenon bulbs in your machine, when you go to get a replacement, check to make sure all of the wires lie flat along the edge of the glass tail thingie. Some of them were all twisted over. They might have worked, but I did not want to make another hour's round trip for a bulb, and sewing with out that light was a pain in the arse.
I also had to stop in at J's, the coupons were too good not to. I picked up some lightweight nylon I intend to use to make some market tote bags. I also splurged and bought a .5 yard of 2 batiks. I'll make my new thread catcher from them. My current one is a great design, but an unpleasant old gold color. I am sure someone who cherishes civil war era or Kansas Troubles type prints may find it wonderful, but it is soooo not me! I managed to get out for under $20. The woman next to me in line was not so lucky, although she did save $78 on her purchases! Gotta love those % off everything deals!
Well, it is now Saturday, and I had better go catch some Zzz's. The sewing machine will be back at it soon, especially now that I can see the 1/4" mark!
Hugs, Cathy