PDA

View Full Version : Christmas decorating anyone? - pic heavy

goofyizzy
November 2nd, 2012, 02:36 AM
I pretty much ignored Halloween decorating this year and moved straight to Christmas. I started on Tuesday. I put up a small table-top tree, I started decorating my mantel, and put a ceramic snowman by the door. I am working on a Christmas table runner for my dining room table, and I am going to make a furry white drape type thing for the mantel so that it looks like snow. I have quite a bit more to do, but this is a start. Anyone else feeling the Christmas spirit yet?

Bubby
November 2nd, 2012, 02:47 AM
You have a real good start on your decorating...love the little tree! I do a kitchen tree that's about 18" tall and tie miniature kitchen items and small cookie cutters on the tree with tiny red bows. I have a star cookie cutter that goes on the top. For a tree skirt I use a paper flour sack that's cut open and flared out. Some years I make a garland out of Fruit Loops or Cheerios...it's fun. Thanks for sharing your pictures - it makes me want to listen to Christmas carols!

Jean Sewing Machine
November 2nd, 2012, 02:54 AM
Not yet, is it Dec.21 yet? Except I do have my Christmas lights up, because I pay someone to do it, and I got a lower price for letting him do them early.

goofyizzy
November 2nd, 2012, 02:55 AM
Bubby, I love your kitchen tree idea. I am going to have to steal that. I just have to figure out where I'm gonna put it.

shannonsaulter
November 2nd, 2012, 03:20 AM
I have a 7ft tree for my Livingroom, 6ft for my upstairs landing, a 3 ft for my fireplace seating and a little 4 inch tree for my TV area...lol..my DH says it's a forest...this will be our first all out Christmas in this house we had just moved in at the beginning of Dec last year so didn't get to go all out..I am very excited for this year..

Madeforyouinma11
November 2nd, 2012, 03:22 AM
I don't decorate until the weekend after Thanksgiving. I don't like to forget that holiday. But then it's all out decorating! I'm hoping because I'm not working, that I will be able to get it all done by the Saturday or Sunday this year. I did apply for a job at Joann's, so if that comes through, I will have to work so we'll see.
I love what you've started and would really like to see more when you get them up. Always looking for new ideas!

goofyizzy
November 2nd, 2012, 03:26 AM
I run a retail shop. It is all decked out for the holidays and we're playing some holiday music (50/50 mix of holiday and easy listening). Seeing the store transformed has helped inspire me to get an early start. Also, as the shop gets busier and I get more tired, I won't feel like decorating. That's why I decided to get an early start. Basically, it's now or never. I'm planning on really doing as much as I can because this is my first Christmas as a home-owner and I really want to start creating memories in my house.

Musical_Starling
November 2nd, 2012, 03:31 AM
I love Christmas, it's my favourite holiday :D I don't decorate until my birthday though, December 2nd. DH would love it if I waited until Christmas Eve and took it down on Boxing day... Grinch... lol Here in Newfoundland, it's actually disrespectful to decorate before Remembrance Day (November 11th), not sure about the rest of Canada though :icon_beuj:

Winniesfriend
November 2nd, 2012, 06:07 AM
NO... its toooo early

buckeyequilter
November 2nd, 2012, 06:20 AM
Too early for me...I'd be tired of Christmas by Thanksgiving. I usually wait until about the 2nd week-end in December.

Monique
November 2nd, 2012, 07:00 AM
Dee is right. Nothing before Remembrance Day. My hubby is a bit of a grinch too.

Dziamka
November 2nd, 2012, 07:16 AM
I love Christmas and winter in general :D
I can't wait for solid snow, it was snowing a bit last weekend but it melted for All Saints' Day which was rainy in Cracow :/

But we feel the spirit already here... husband bought some Christmas mix music and I ordered some pretty Christmas fabrics :0 Can't wait to get them :icon_woohoo:

Divine Daisy
November 2nd, 2012, 07:36 AM
I decorate......if I am going to........ on Dec 21st. My daughter's birthday. Everything is down and the house cleared and cleaned by new years day. I like to start the new year fresh

MRoy
November 2nd, 2012, 07:48 AM
I wait until after Thanksgiving....I don't decorate a lot so it doesn't take long to do it.

quilter.martha
November 2nd, 2012, 07:59 AM
I wait until the day after Thanksgiving. Normally my daughter and I do it together as a special time together, but she has now moved away so I'm on my own this year. I'm not really looking forward to it without her.

dwil23
November 2nd, 2012, 08:04 AM
I hadn't heard that about not decorating before Nov. 11th (our Veterans Day), but then I'm the one always running behind, despite good intentions. It does bring back memories for me, though. The first year I was married my husbands uncle (in another state even) died on November 2nd (which also happened to be MIL's birthday). Dear MIL made it a point to let everyone at the funeral know it was MY fault because I left my tree up after New Year's and that whenever someone did that, it would cause a death in the family. Of course, DH believed her.

All that being said, when I get to my own place - hopefully next year, I will have several trees - I like one family tree and then several theme trees throughout the house. I have one that is all 101 dalmations, another Snoopy, a snowman and several other themes I like to rotate.

MRoy
November 2nd, 2012, 08:09 AM
I hadn't heard that about not decorating before Nov. 11th (our Veterans Day), but then I'm the one always running behind, despite good intentions. It does bring back memories for me, though. The first year I was married my husbands uncle (in another state even) died on November 2nd (which also happened to be MIL's birthday). Dear MIL made it a point to let everyone at the funeral know it was MY fault because I left my tree up after New Year's and that whenever someone did that, it would cause a death in the family. Of course, DH believed her.

How terrible that your MIL would do that to you! I hope your DH doesn't still believe cr@p like that.

dwil23
November 2nd, 2012, 11:17 AM
How terrible that your MIL would do that to you! I hope your DH doesn't still believe cr@p like that.

Yeah, she was quite the character. She passed away many years ago - and yes, I left the tree up after New Years that year. She was a very domineering person who had everyone afraid of her. My (now ex) DH listened to too much that she said - was afraid not to. He claims now not to remember the whole incident and over the years enjoyed the decorating the trees as much as I did.

CrazyMtnLady
November 2nd, 2012, 11:37 AM
If I do any decorating I never do it until after Thanksgiving. With just DH and myself all I did last year was put my little foot tall tree and my Mr & Mrs Santa that I made on top of a dresser in the front room. I am not much of a decorator anymore.

auntiemern
November 2nd, 2012, 01:25 PM
Nope, to early for me. We put up a real tree, so we usually do it about a week and a half before Christmas. I do a lot of decorating, and it is a lot to put up and take down. So I am in no hurry.

Claire Hallman
November 2nd, 2012, 01:33 PM
I absolutely love decorating for Christmas and any other time. This year it will be a bit different since I am having a baby shower here on Dec 2, I think that is the date. Maybe I will decorate the dining room in pink Christmas if there is such a thing.:lol:
I won't start until after Thanksgiving day though, I will take down the fall stuff and put up the Christmas. My DH would say I went overboard and he is probably right, when I get it done I will try to post some pictures.
I am working on 18 big star blocks that will be Christmas tabletoppers for gifts. I need to get those finished as they are weighing on my shoulders.:o

quiltingtrish
November 2nd, 2012, 08:29 PM
We will probably decorate the 2nd week of December. It WILL be decorated by the time Odie gets home for the season and he won't tell us when the actual day is so we need to be ready. DH decorates the outside with lights, makes it real pretty. I do the inside. We also get a small tree to put on a card table by the window. The cats love laying under it.
We do have about 60 small pine trees in the backyard that DH planted a few years ago. You think he would let us use them as Christmas trees and save the money from buying one? Nope! And, they are even all laid out in little rows which he and I carefully watered everyday it didn't rain when we planted them. I suppose it's our own little Christmas tree orchard to enjoy.

Hugs,

bopeep
November 2nd, 2012, 08:37 PM
Your decorations look Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't put mine up until after Thanksgiving....
bopeep

kensington
November 2nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
I have a few fall things out. I start my Christmas decorating the week before Thanksgiving, so that on Thanksgiving the whole house is done except for my dining room, and my big real tree I will get that weekend. I have so much Christmas stuff it takes a week to get it done.

Musical_Starling
November 2nd, 2012, 09:59 PM

All that being said, when I get to my own place - hopefully next year, I will have several trees - I like one family tree and then several theme trees throughout the house. I have one that is all 101 dalmations, another Snoopy, a snowman and several other themes I like to rotate.

What a crazy lady!! She'd wonder how anyone lived around here because it's tradition to leave your decorations up until "Old Christmas Day", which is January 6th lol

Jess1377
November 2nd, 2012, 11:27 PM
Oh, those are some very cute and very pretty decorations :) I actually got Halloween stuff put away today and pulled out my little Thanksgiving decorations that show their little faces for such a short time each year!

Donna F
November 2nd, 2012, 11:29 PM
What a cute lil snowman. I am taking my time decorating this year. I'm learning to slow down and not rush it.