PDA

View Full Version : Singer 160th Anniversary

RachelMichelle
October 31st, 2012, 02:25 PM
A question to those of you who own the Singer 160th Anniversary sewing machine, do you like it? Is it a good machine, have you had any troubles with it? What is the throat size to the right of the needle?I guess thats a few questions but I know some of you have one and I am looking into possibly getting one probably after Christmas. The machine I have now I got over the summer (my first machine ever)and is a Singer Fashion Mate. I love it but the throat space is so little and I would love to be able to do more quilting, but my machine now cannot drop feed dogs, and free motion quilting is almost out of the question with it. I would love to someday own a Janome like the 7700 but thats out of the question for now anyways, hopefully after I graduate!

Jean Sewing Machine
October 31st, 2012, 02:48 PM
I just got mine a month ago, and it isn't my main machine. I haven't measured the throat space but I think it is about 7" and it has an extension table that is about 7" also. I've just used it for a few things, but it seems good. Here's what I think about it. It is loud, but sounds powerful. Easy to load bobbin and has a good needle threader. Needle always ends in the up position, no down possibility. No thread cutter. Looks pretty! Has a nice LED light. Uses the same bobbins as my Janomes do, very convenient. Sews throught heavy fabric with no hesitation. Sews a nice straight stitch. I haven't tried decorative stitches, quilting or buttonholes yet, so I can't say anything about that. Don't know if any of that helps you decide. Bought mine through Amazon.com, very good price! After our one member's bad experience trying to get another Singer product fixed locally, and seeing how well things turned out when she called Amazon, I'm glad I bought mine through them, if anything goes wrong, I'll just return it to them.

You can drop the feed dogs on the Singer.

And my main machine is a Janome 7700, save your pennies for that one. Warning, they are coming out with another machine between the 7700 and 12000, will be priced around 5K. I think it will be called a 9800. Supposedly, they also want to raise the price on the 7700--my dealer told me this last week. They are going to rename the 7700 and raise the price. So if you can swing it now, you'll get a great machine at a lower cost than it will be in the future. Of course, you will probably be able to find used ones less than $2000. Some are finding them at those prices now

Swedish leo
October 31st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Hi
I got one and am very pleased with it. It is my main piceing/sewing machine. I have some trouble with the bobin trhead getting caught in the feeddog but the store that i got my machine said that it is just a matter of adjusting the feed dog so they donīt drop to low and caught the thread. Otherwise i am very happy. Jean Sewing Machine is right. the throat space is 7" wide. Wich is a lot bigger than my other withe machine. It has only a 6" thoatspace and it is this machine that i do my fmq on until i got my black 160 singer machine fixed.

Hope you are helped by this

Good Luck

Annika :icon_wave:

RachelMichelle
November 1st, 2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the info ladies, we will see what I end up doing because now I don't know what to do! Do I save up for the one I really want or get one that will work for now until I can save enough money.

mandylifeboats
November 27th, 2012, 06:18 PM
i wish u lived closer to me RachelMichelle, because i would sell mine to you. it would cost me a ton of money to mail it, so i may try to sell it locally. it is heavy and loud. it is very easy to operate and i like the fact that it has a lot of light on the bed. i thought i could take the machine to classes, but it is so heavy and awkward. it came with a very flimsy case and it i don't think it could fit in any wheeled case. it came with a ton of feet that i prolly will never use. i use my Pfaff mainly.

Jean Sewing Machine
November 27th, 2012, 06:46 PM
If you don't have to get the black one, they now have the Singer One that is the same machine, not the retro black look. I saw Amazon went way up in price on the 160 machine, I guess they are getting more scarce. I like mine, it is loud and heavy, but sews through jeans hems like a hot knife through. Butter. My other machines balk at doing that.

stillquilting
August 12th, 2013, 11:17 PM
I have one, really like it, but don't need 2 sewing machines.
It is a great little machine. It runs really well and times I have used it (not a lot just when my embroidery machine was in use)

I would sell it to you but I think shipping would be high. I just don't need 2 sewing machines.

stillquilting
August 12th, 2013, 11:19 PM
QVC went way up on theirs too.
I have one that I am willing to sell but buyer will have to pay shipping.
I don't have the box, but I have everything else.
I bought it as a back up machine but haven't used it much.