PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday hellos - Will it be a trick or treat?

Blondie
October 31st, 2012, 06:32 AM

Happy Wednesday and for those with wee ones, have a happy time trick or treating! Happy Halloween.

We live out in the country and never have had little goblins knock at our doors. When my own children were younger I would have to drive them into the town where they could run from yard to yard with the rest of the little spooks. My kids always loved dressing up and still do. My middle son has his yard and porch decked out like a haunted house. He and his GF attend several costume parties each season and go to those terrible spooky haunted trail things. I sure hope everyone has fun, is safe and eats lots of candy.

What will I do today? Of course, those grand dogs of mine will be here. So that means I need to get down stairs soon to get some machine work done. Sis will arrive this morning to watch some spooky movies with me. LOL. When we were young girls we were big big fans of Dark Shadows. I don't know how many used to watch that "soap opera" from the 60's? I know it has had a lot of revival over the years, nothing as camp as the original. So, when we were visiting last evening she says, I am coming over in the morning and we will watch House of Dark Shadows. Make cookies and have the coffee ready. Heckfire shoot - and the family calls ME bossy? Of course, I will have cookies! Silly gurl. And if she is really good, I might pull out a hershey bar or two.

From what I read last evening, the storm is pushing westward, with winds and rains - please be careful my dear ones. Realizing that so many are without power, I continue to pray for those who have suffered damage - glad to see some who have been able to check in. Let's not forget our May in Jersey. Several days ago she said she was inland and would be safe. Has anyone heard from her?

Happy Halloween. Eat lots of goodies! That will keep a sugar smile on your face!

Monique
October 31st, 2012, 07:40 AM

Good morning Blondie. You have yourself a grand day with your sister. Sometimes I envy those who have sisters. I only have brothers. But that is okay too.

Yesterday was a very productive day, non-quilt wise. I did laundry and the proceeded to purge my clothes. I managed to fill three garbage bags. If I haven't worn it recently, then it is gone. I felt good at the end of the day. I have to work today. I have lots to do in between . I work until 11 and then back for 3:15. So I have a busy ahead of me. Halloween treats all set to go. Hubby got the bags full of candy ready yesterday.

I arranged to meet with the lady who has the sewing table for sale on Friday. I will likely buy it. There is an auction sale on Saturday that has "new fabric". I would really like to go see that. Sunday is our Remembrance Day service here in town. They do it ahead of November 11, because everyone attends the big one in Shawville on the 11th. So it looks like a busy weekend ahead.

Blondie I haven't seen anything from May since Monday. I hope all is well with her.

Have a wonderfully spooky day.

MRoy
October 31st, 2012, 07:51 AM
Good morning! Halloween candy is ready, but I don't expect many (if any) spooks. We live out in the country and the town does "Trunk or Treat" so most of the trick or treaters go there. We still have cold, damp weather here but we're so blessed compared to those who were in the path of the storm.

Happy Hump Day!

quilter.martha
October 31st, 2012, 07:59 AM
Morning! We have our power back! Boy it feels good. We take electricity for granted, just flip the switch and we have light. But you really come to appreciate it once its been gone for a while.

I have some catching up to do, but not today. Gotta get to work. Everyone have a great day!

buckeyequilter
October 31st, 2012, 08:21 AM
Happy Halloween

Morning all....I'm at work (this is where I can usually be found M-F). I think I have a meeting this morning with some guy about new state tax laws...didn't write it down, I was so impressed with the call.

Our trick or treat was Saturday night, it's always fun to see the little (and not so little) ones in their costumes.

Tonight I will work on my daughter's quilt some more. Hope to get it finished this week-end. My new sewing machine should be delivered today :D so maybe I'll get a little time on that tonight too.

:icon_popcorn: Have fun watching movies, Blondie, don't get to scared :V

I'm happy that your electric is back Martha....I know how that is, at the end of June we were without power for about 5 days. Still praying for those without electricity, those with flooding, those with blizzards....please everyone be safe.

aliaslaceygreen
October 31st, 2012, 08:30 AM
No candy at this house.... we will leave the lights off because we won't be home... we don't normally get much activity with trick or treaters, though. Oh, those childhood days, I remember so well, walking the rounds in our costumes, with one of the bigger boys, Georgie Grace, and then we would walk HOME, empty the bag of loot and head back out again.
Instead, we will meet up with our littlest VA Tech Cheerleader for dessert ... and then home, pack and early bed, for it is HOUSTON tomorrow!

NanaB
October 31st, 2012, 08:42 AM
Good morning, all. Up early today to take a friend to the doctor for a procedure--then she called and said she is sick and can't go. Thinking it's time to put the laundry in the dryer and take a nap. Trying to come up with something to cook for 17 people next week at the beach. Any ideas? Others are fixing steak, chicken, ham, lasagna. I guess I will come up with something before next Wednesday. Hope so, anyway. Have a great day. Stay safe out there.

Bubby
October 31st, 2012, 08:46 AM
Morning All and Happy Halloween!

I finally finished my Halloween quilt...a big UFO off my list! It took me 6 hours to sew down the binding and today my right hand feels like it's been through a wringer. DH really likes this quilt...I'm just glad it's done!

My MIL had some real bad wind and rain from Sandy....she lives pretty close to Lake Michigan in Indiana. No real damage to her property, but lots of small branches to pick up. She had her place torn up earlier this year and just recovered from that. I feel terrible for those going through this ordeal and the loss of life. In my lifetime I've never seen such a large storm.

Myrna, we live in the country also and never get any trick or treaters. I buy Halloween candy every year and Jeff makes sure it doesn't go to waste! Molly used to love it when the kiddies would come to the door. Molly had a little ballerina outfit and the kids got such a thrill seeing her dressed up. If I knew the kids we would take pictures of them with Molly and I would give them to the parents later. Molly has lots of fans around town...every time I'm out and about someone will ask how she's doing. Jeff's boss loves Molly and he doesn't like anyone or anything...he makes a regular fool of himself when he's around her. She loves Uncle Leland, too!

Jeff is out of town today for training at another institution near Springfield. I'm thinking he won't get home until late, so I will make a pot of homemade potato soup for dinner and maybe some cornbread. I make homemade soup every year for Halloween dinner.

I need to get my SSS's package in the mail. I have one more quick project to make and it will be ready to fly off across the pond!

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone touched by the Storm....May God keep you safely in His arms. Hugs, Barb

meemeecyn
October 31st, 2012, 08:59 AM
Good morning all you special quilters. Things are getting back to normal, sort of. But NH did have a death. A construction worker drowned in a landslide while trying to clean out the mud in the area they were working on. So sad. Feeling so bad for those in NJ and NY. Such devastation.

Getting ready to spend the day with the grandgirls. Mom has an dr. appt. We are expecting our 3rd grandchild!!!! May 2 is the due date. They will be coming over later to trick/treat in the neighborhood. This is the first time they have been out due to all the allergies the oldest one has. So Meemee (that would be me!) made up bags to give to the neighbors to hand out! Not counting what I have put together.

Have a great day and Happy Halloween. Will continue to pray for those that are in need....
Cynthia

auntiemern
October 31st, 2012, 09:00 AM
Morning Blondie, and everyone else that is up and at em. Woke up this morning thinking about May since NJ really got hit hard. Praying for her safety, and the rest we haven't heard from. We go to DD's for halloween and Pa takes out the kids. I stay back and pass out candy. Gonna try to get packages mailed today with any luck. Doc finally had to call in a scrip for my coughing. Hugs and Blessings to all, and prayers for those in need. Special pryers that have affected our quilting sisters.

CrazyMtnLady
October 31st, 2012, 10:24 AM
Good Morning all. I hope you have a spook-tacular day! 30836 We never have trick or treaters here either. That's one good thing about living in the boonies. We get all the candy to ourselves. We always have the small bite size candy bars on hand for DH's diabetes (for when his blood sugar drops too low.)

Chilly morning here..it's around 40* but will warm up nicely during the day. We didn't get to town yesterday because we were both just too lazy to move! LOL. Maybe this afternoon. I want to get the fabric I need so I can work on my next project. Plus we need to get the memory card for the new camera so I can take pictures.

Hope everyone is safe. Hugs and prayers to all,

Sandy Navas
October 31st, 2012, 11:46 AM
Same ole, same ole. Cold (29 degrees but warming), quiet day. We'll go take pictures of our seven little goblins tonight and then have a quiet night at home. We're outside the normal range of TorTers so I never stock up on candy. We're too far off the street for any goblins to try to find us.

Several sewing projects lined up - so hopefully I get to sew the rest of the day. Other than that there's nothing special lined up.

I, too, am very, very concerned about our dear May in Jersey. Al's Aunt, who is 91 and lives in Queens, NY decided to ride the storm out. With all the damage near and around her, she fared extremely well - not even a flicker or loss of power. Amazing.. As I said, I always wanted to be remembered for something spectacular - but definitely do not appreciate the storm of a lifetime being named after me.

So, continued prayers for those with health issues, some of those are constantly on my mind, and special prayers for a quick relief from the damage wrecked by this storm.

middlesis1966
October 31st, 2012, 11:56 AM
Morning all! Not much going on today. Have to do a quick clean because a recruiter is coming. I'm really excited about it. My son has had a time and a half with just getting thru school and he finally is getting it together. I'm so proud of him. I just hope that he's able to get into this school.

Have a fun filled day all!

shannonsaulter
October 31st, 2012, 12:59 PM

Good Morning and Happy Halloween!!!
I am excited as I do not have to work last night and I havent been home on this night for a few years now..Last Year I spent Halloween in Sydney Australia with my oldest daughter...tonight I plan to dress up in one of my Ren Costumes and pass out candy..
I have started another project with a charm pack and will probably get some sewing done later..
!st up today giving a car to a friend and her son..It was my daughters then my nephews and he leaves for Alaska tomorrow so giving it to someone who can use it..
Time for some coffee
Have a great day all!

toggpine
October 31st, 2012, 01:16 PM
Good Morning!
I have an "extra" at my house this morning. The neighbor boy's parents had an early morning Dr. appt and needed someone to make sure he got on the bus. We'll see how that goes. He can be a bit rude and disrespectful. So far, so good.

Finishing the last touches for Em's halloween costume. Ugh. That thing is one of the worst thought out patterns I have ever attempted to make.

I have at least 40 pounds of apples to begin processing. At least the house will smell good while the apple butter is cooking down.

We have trunk or treat tonight. That will be fun. The kids look great in their costumes. Some are so creative, but I think the parents may have something to do with that. I'd like to drive over and trick or treat the grandparents, but that is a long drive on a weeknight.

May in Jersey might be one of the over 8 million people without power on the East coast. My guess is that is going to take a few days to get everyone back on line from that mess.

May I suggest tacos for your trip to to the beach. You can precook what ever kind of meat you choose and just heat it up. By having hard and soft shells, and an assortment of toppings, people can make their taco how ever they would like. The left over toppings can be mixed into a salad or used for nacho snacks later.

Well, I have to go referee the use of some toys. This may be a one time shot.

You all have a good day! Stay safe & go easy on the tricks & treats!
Hugs, Cathy

SuzyQue
October 31st, 2012, 01:44 PM
I don't miss the last minute scurry to finish Halloween costumes, but I will miss not trick or treating again this year. My babies are all grown and no grands yet. We don't get any ghosts or goblins to our farm, but we spent many a Halloween night driving all over the area to visit special people. My kids never ran the neighborhoods, like I did growing up. We would drive to see the grand parents or aunts and uncles or special requests from people at church. Many happy memories and lots of fun photos to giggle over now. I have a little candy stash, just in case......but will probably be eating it myself. Yeah, Snickers!!!
I am still wrapping fabric and cleaning out the storage closet. It will be a long term project, but it has been very rewarding and fun. I love the accomplishment and organized feelings!!! I am getting very excited about future projects!
Spent the day yesterday running errands, getting to the grocery and Sam's, visiting mom, and picking up more comic book boards and clips. It was needed, but not much fun. Today I hope to get back to work.
Happy Halloween to all. Hugs and prayers for all. Safe wishes and quick recoveries prayed for those in the path of this storm.

HandsOffItsMine
October 31st, 2012, 02:11 PM
Happy Halloween to all!

No trick or treating in our buildings. No extra candy again this year. :( We do miss having little ones come to the house. Kat loves Halloween and I've made many costumes over the years. Luckily she married a guy who is also a nut about the holiday. Now we have 5 Stegers getting ready for tonight. Can't wait to see the photos. :)

Have a wonderful day...Ruby

Tanya D
October 31st, 2012, 02:22 PM
Good morning everyone! Happy Halloween.

It's cold and snowy here. The roads are awful and it's going to be chilly for the little ones tonight. I imagine we will see lots of cute snowsuits with costumes peeking out underneath.

My husband spent 4 hours carving some awesome pumpkins last night. He's become quite "famous" in our neighborhood. Some people have told us that they make sure they come by our house just to see his pumpkins. Here's what he did lastnight.

He always trys to cater to the little ones and picks characters that are popular at the moment.

GrammaBabs
October 31st, 2012, 02:29 PM
Dark Shadows!!!! Loved that one!!
As for the candy... we live in retirement comm... they have parties for GC here and mine is 24, so count me out of that one,,, but Blondie... mine was she neighbor hood that the kids were driven too,,back in the day... DH would stay home and give out the candy,,, i would walk it with the kiddo's...made their costumes and it was a big deal let me tell you!!!
NOW the best part of Halloween for us is the "day after".... my son tries to stop himself from going and buying the 1/2 price candy,,,, and i too am guilty of it!.... It's like Christmas!!!! Soo many goodies... soooo cheap!!! Wish it wasn't so fattening!!!hug GB

I found this old photo.. don't know if it will com thru, but gonna try..
Halloween Costumes and other stuff
Good it worked.. my two are the "grey monster" (this was something i made from my son's "description" of what he wanted... and the skeleton is my daughter... Darth Vader is my BIL,,, he even did the "breathing".... these two are 43 and 41 not... so it's a bit dated...Raggedy is my neighbors DD!!

bakermom
October 31st, 2012, 02:50 PM
trick or treat was supposed to be tonight-our little town always does the 31st.
Due to wind and weather issues it has been pushed back to Saturday. Our kids are grown now but DH and I still get into the spirit of things. We decorate and dress up up give out candy. As long as you make an attempt to dress up you get candy from us, it doesn't matter if you are a kid or just a kid at heart

Madeforyouinma11
October 31st, 2012, 03:56 PM
We don't get too many children in our neighborhood for Halloween. We will just keep the lights off. It was a lot of fun when my children were young, we went everywhere!
Cathy, funny, I was thinking tacos too because they are very versatile. The other thing I was thinking of was chili, because it can be eaten as a bowl of chili or as a snack with nachos.. Whatever you decide on Becki, have fun!
Well, I have to run to the grocery store to get a couple of things. Making chicken parm for dinner tonight.
I am thinking of and praying for anyone still feeling the effects from Sandy. I hope May is just without power and nothing more than that.
Hope everyone has a SAFE and HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :)