PDA

View Full Version : Storm Sandy Check-In List

toggpine
October 30th, 2012, 02:37 AM
OK, I know we are all worried about our quilty friends in the eastern U.S. Some of them have checked in on different threads. I thought I'd start this one so we could all come to one place to get, or leave an update on how things are going for our dear friends.

I know a lot of people are without power, so we'll have to hope for the best, and wait for them to get hooked back up.

One bright spot: I spent most of the TV time tonight NOT hearing about political crap.
I'd much rather watch hours of some dumb dude standing in the rain reporting that it's still raining & blowing wind, than the political vitriol of the last few weeks. So, thanks Sandy for that little bit of a break.

Prayers of safety for all of our friends & family out there dealing with this messy weather.
Hugs, Cathy

lilmouse
October 30th, 2012, 05:19 AM
I am concerned also...I live by Lake Michigan and they are reporting high winds and waves over 20 feet...Yikes! I have already seen some of the flooding and snow in West Virginia....predicting 2 -3 feet of snow! Praying for all in the worst hit areas.....worried about all our forum buddies that are in the way of Sandy...My GF's husband is in a snow storm in Tennessee, he is a semi driver same as Steve.

Blondie
October 30th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Thanks Cathy, hoping all will check in.

Monique
October 30th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I have been watching the news and it is just unbelieveable. Waiting to hear from those who can at this point.

Blondie
October 30th, 2012, 07:15 AM
With so much power outages that I've heard of on the news, I am certain we have many members who are going to be playing the waiting game. Continuing to pray.

I have been watching the news and it is just unbelieveable. Waiting to hear from those who can at this point.

Bailey65
October 30th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Maine- we dodged the bullet on this one. We had high winds through mid-night. Some roads are closed due to fallen tree's and most of the schools in the area are closed. We lost power yesterday afternoon for about 1 1/2 hours. My son who lives in the next town Berwick has had no power since 4:00 pm yesterday. Hope ALL are safe!!

Bubby
October 30th, 2012, 08:40 AM
I'm anxious to hear from everyone....I'm praying and hoping everyone is okay. I was up all night watching the storm coverage...what a terrible storm. Thanks for posting this thread. Barb

Shirley
October 30th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I too am anxious to hear that everyone is fine. Prayers to all of you!

MaryB
October 30th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Our prayers and love to all in the devastated areas. Australian news coverage is keeping us all up-to-date as our thoughts go out to you all. We will also be watching anxiously here for check-ins.

_Karla_
October 30th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I hate it when people joke about such a serious situation, posting fake pictures. Hoping everybody and their families are safe <3

Suzyq
October 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM
We've been following the storm coverage up here in Ottawa, Canada too.. Hope those affected will brave it thru knowing the world is watching And praying for you....

nana margaret
October 30th, 2012, 09:56 AM
The BBC have made this their top priority, everyone over here has been watching events unfold. I couldn't drag myself away to go to bed last night and stayed up till two this morning. Sadly, I heard this morning that lives have been lost and my thoughts are with those affected. My daughter had been in New York for six weeks until 10days ago when she returned home for which I'm so thankful especially seeing the terrifying pictures. My heart goes out to all those living there and trying to cope with the devastation, I hope it will soon be over for all of you.

Swedish leo
October 30th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Hoping that everyone is safe and that this terrible storm dies out soon.
Love for all that needs it.
Annika

Cathy F
October 30th, 2012, 10:51 AM
We made it through the storm with minimal damage, we are extremely thankful this morning. Had power restored, and we've been out in the yard cleaning up the mess. Tree limbs down, shingles off roof, drainspouts ripped off, and section of fencing down. There are still 960,000 on the Island here without power this morning, schools closed, and all mass transportation still at a standstill till futher notice. All roads in neighboring county are closed to traffic except for emergency vehicles and workers. Our son who is 3 blocks from us is without power and had a tree come down on their house but thankfully no injuries. Hope all are other members that were in this path are safe.

Sandy Navas
October 30th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Saw a post from Deb in WV on FB:
Had a wild night in WV with winds, rain and snow, but came through just fine. About 3" of snow on the ground so far, we only lost power for a few minutes. Heard from kids in NJ that they are well, power still on and no damage. Hooray! Hope our friends made it through so well, too!

alliek
October 30th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Wow Cathy! You really went through a lot. Soooo Happy you are OK as is my family on L.I.. Without power but otherwise all good. I hope your son's house is not too damaged. I heard the winds in Islip were up to gust of 96mph. So I know that you felt them too. I also heard that the Bay met the ocean and breached Fire Island. That some of the island was under four feet of water and still had some year round residents there. Praying for all. Thanks for the update.!

alliek
October 30th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Good News Sandy. Stay warm. Glad you are a OK. It was quite a day!

Genny
October 30th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I was glued to the tv from early yesterday morning till I went to work at 4:00pm and after work from 10:00 till bedtime and I've been praying for everyone in the line of this horrible storm. Hope we hear from everyone soon, but I'm sure it'll take quite a while for everyone to get their power back on and to deal with all the damage this storm has done. Thoughts and prayers to everyone.

Madeforyouinma11
October 30th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Our area came out fine also. We had some steady winds and rain but nothing like we had expected or prepared for...thank goodness!
We lost power for about 20-30 mins and one of our small trees fell. That was ok though cause it was a dead tree anyway.. We have four others that we were hoping would fall too but they are still standing. Anyway, no water in our basement which was my biggest concern because my daughter and her hubby are living there, so that was a blessing.
My hubby is a policeman and he worked from 5:15 mon evening til 8:30 this morning and he said there were some streets flooded and some electrical wires down but all in all better than they had planned for too.
Hoping everyone else is safe and hoping they all check in soon.

Doloris
October 30th, 2012, 01:04 PM
just heard from son in Lorton Va, 5 min south of DC. Said everything looks good and didn't lose power.

auntiemern
October 30th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Anxiously awaiting news from our quilt family in the midst of the storm. Praying that all is well.

cyndiofthevortex
October 30th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Thank you all for praying! Here in NH we have had lots of power outages but at my house it only lasted a few minutes. I just saw on fb that quilter.martha has her power out. It was a scary day yesterday with the high winds but we were definitely spared. DD Faith in Revere, MA had water come through her roof, through the attic and into the children's room, but that can be fixed and we are happy they are all well. My comp has been in and out and I hope it stays on as I hate to be without it! That's all the news from here. I'm with you all waiting to hear from our other quilty friends who live in areas hardest hit.

lilmouse
October 30th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I am still praying here....going to go and check the news on the puter.....still very concerned but am glad of the good reports so far!

HandsOffItsMine
October 30th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Glad to hear that most of our Quilting Friends and Families are fairing well or with minor damages.

What has been shown on tv is horrible, the water fronts and downtown Manhattan, Oy. Prayers will continue as we wait to hear from all of our friends and their families.

Jess1377
October 30th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I feel like a thousand pounds off my shoulders because my MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL and neice are all ok!!!!! They are all in Brooklyn, NY and safe, with power, and it is such a huge relief! We called them 1st thing this morning and got the good news. I am still praying for all that everyone will be alright on the forum and come away from this unscathed and safe and sound.

GrammaBabs
October 30th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Poor NY,,, it's something they've not experienced in many years.... We here at Oakpoint (Middleboro, MA),,, were very lucky..minimal damage.. my DF across the street lost some "trim" on the house... but last year our G&E worked diligently on the wires that feed our comm..... we used to lose power during any high wind... this time NO outage at all....We are very blessed...
Other than a horrible aching in my joints... everything is fine... Best Wishes to all out there...hugs GBabs

CrazyMtnLady
October 30th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Am praying for all those families that have had damage and loss of lives. I sent an e-mail to my daughter near Ithaca, NY but have not heard back from her yet. I am sure they have had major rain there. Makes me glad I no longer live there.

quilter.martha
October 30th, 2012, 04:50 PM
We're still without power at our house, but now we can at least take the direct route home when going home this evening. A tree or wire has finally been removed from the road we use all the time to get to our house. I really don't know when we'll have power back. Hopefully soon, 'cause I want to do some sewing!!! But, we had no damage to our property--just one large limb came down at the end of our driveway, so we have NOTHING to complain about.

sewmuchjan
October 30th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Prayers for you all, been watching and praying for all of our dear friends and family during this storm!!

Hugs,
Jan G.

sally
October 30th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Hope everyone is well. Power I am sure will be out for many of our quilty friends...prayers are with them. What a scary week in weather... Superstorm on the east coast. Earthquake on the west coast of Canada. 7 point something but luckly it was down deep and in a sparsly populated area and for my nothern family...snow snow and more snow.

aliaslaceygreen
October 31st, 2012, 08:20 AM
Here I am.... we did amazingly well, almost embarrassing to say we were a part of it...I just got a note from a dear friend on Staten Island though....her dad, who is over 80, lived near the ocean, was trapped on the second floor of his house, 3 of his 4 cats are missing, house had 10 ft of water, his grandson's home was destroyed, his other daughter and sisters houses both damaged... I am so glad none of them came to any more harm than that, but his house may be uninhabitable; it was not too much more than a glorified bungalow, as many are there...This family lost two Firefighters on 9/11...
And the number of friends who live in NJ, shore kind of people, who haven't given details (plus that other group that I can't reach via FB)...I am at a loss, to imagine visiting home anytime soon.

My heart just is breaking...
http://smu.gs/SdXTTv I started scouring my photos, to put together a gallery of shore images.... (in very much the same way I rooted through boxes of photos post 9/11, looking for PROOF, you know??)

bkthomas
October 31st, 2012, 08:22 AM
Glad to hear that you are ok Trish!

auntiemern
October 31st, 2012, 09:03 AM
So sorry to hear about your friends. Will have them in my prayers. Still waiting to hear from some others, like our dear May. Hoping and praying all are safe.

institches64
October 31st, 2012, 02:40 PM
Thankfully we only lost power for a few hours. We were expecting days like the storm last year. I feel so bad for all the people in the states that were hard hit.