PDA

View Full Version : Spent the Evening in the ER :(

auntiemern
October 29th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Just got home a bit ago from ER. DH was cutting up sons deer and managed to run knife thru his left middle finger. Just above the knuckle, all the way thru. Thank God, doc does not think he did any nerve, or tendon damage, per the strength tests he performed on him. Will be in splint for a few days and on precautionary antibiotics. I am just about to forbid him to go any where near sharp objects. 2 yrs ago, almost to the day, he did cut himself severely enough to have to have surgery to repair tendon damage on his (OMG) trigger finger, right before gun season. Weeks of hand therapy for that one. Cut himself a couple weeks ago when I had him cutting limbs for my pumpkins. It really was almost comical today when it happened though. I had already scolded him once when I went out to see how it was going, cuz I didn't like how he was handling the knife. About an hour later DD came in to get bandaids cuz he cut himself. I sent out bandaids, peroxide and clean towel. No biggie, right,... uh not so much. DD then comes back in after she found out how bad it was to tell me. I swear the blood drained out of his face when he saw me coming. Then DS is trying to down play it, so DH doesn't get an a$$ chewing. Well, caught on to that right away, and he knew he was busted. Still would not stop processing the deer though. It was bandaged well, and didn't appear to be causing any problems. When they are finally finished, over an hour later, you could see where it was still bleeding thru the several band aids. Changes bandaids, and it is still bleeding. But oh no, we can't go to hospital yet, they have to take the dang head and all to the taxidermist, with the agreement that when they got back he IS going to go get it looked at. Any way after we left the hospital he called the kids to report. DD insisted on talking to me, so she was assured of getting the entire story, not just his version. All is well, I WILL keep him in line for the next few days, and the kids can rest easy, knowing he isn't going to 'get away' with anything on my watch.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 30th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Oh my gosh, I'm glad there wasn't serious damage. So sorry to hear about his accident.

bopeep
October 30th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Oh My Marilyn........if we could only get them to listen......good luck keeping him in line........
I will keep him in my Prayers......
bopeep

lilmouse
October 30th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Good luck with that......I try and it doesn't work....everytime Steve gets busted for something...he takes me to JoAnn's and spends some money and all is forgiven.....but not forgotten....I am the klutz around here...I can trip over air!

janluna
October 30th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Grace doesn't run in our family... it trips and falls! And my Fathers nick name for me was Calamity Jane! :lol::lol::lol:

Musical_Starling
October 30th, 2012, 12:52 AM
I'm glad he's okay!! And I would have given hubs a good arse chewing too, because it sounds like something he'd do lol All thumbs and two left feet, poor boy.

From here on out, tell him he's confined to butter knives and those plastic kiddie scissors :icon_giggle:

HandsOffItsMine
October 30th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I read this on FB...I'm so glad that it turned out ok! Also happy that you will be the Drill Sargent to keep him in check. lol Of course keep an eye out for infection since we're talking wildlife. I can't believe how many knife episodes he's had in such a short period. That sounds like something that would happen to me. lol

Growing up in the restaurant business, many a cuts with knives amongst Mom, Dad and I. Dad actually took off a whole wedge off his inner hand pad with the meat slicer. That was the worse one. Gross!

Tell him "get well soon" from us.

Huggers, Ruby and Don

bkthomas
October 30th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Sounds like he is way more afraid of you that any knife!!!! Hehe Haha

bec
October 30th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Ouch! Glad it didn't do any major damage.

Musical_Starling
October 30th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Sounds like he is way more afraid of you that any knife!!!! Hehe Haha

Wouldn't you be? :icon_giggle:

Blondie
October 30th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Marilyn!
I am so glad that he is okay. Reading this my heart was in my throat. OY! I don't think anyone ever gets used to accidents - I am always a nervous nellie whenever hubs gets out the chain saw.

Monique
October 30th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I see nothing but plastic knives in his future. All joking aside, glad he is ok. I know he will tow the line, at least for a little while. LOL!!

sewbizzy
October 30th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Marilyn, I am so glad it was not more serious...mine has done the same thing, but not recently...my younger son now cuts up all the deer they get, so my dh hasn't had to for several years...I am always warning mine, too, but for some reason he never listens...I think his stubborness comes from his Mom and his "male pride"...
Praying for a quick healing...

Sandy Navas
October 30th, 2012, 10:28 AM
First of all, you scared me because I thought it had been YOU in for treatment with your bronchitis/pneumonia.

Hubby? My oldest DGD doesn't do well with sharp objects so I made a sign for her that says:

DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH SHARP OBJECTS.

Sounds as if your DH needs a sign hung around his neck. Please give him all the TLC he needs and hope he doesn't wind up with any infection that, to me, is the scarey part.

SuzyQue
October 30th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Our local meat locker processes deer all season. Perhaps it might be something worth checking. I know there would be cost involved, but in the long run, your hubby might keep all his fingers! So glad to hear that it was not worse, but keep watching for signs of infection. He is lucky you are there to keep him in line!

meemeecyn
October 30th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Ouch! Hope he heals quickly. Know you will 'watch' over him.
Cynthia

auntiemern
October 30th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Dee, you crack me up. I do however have a tendency to scare people with my demeanor. Most of DD's friends are still scared of me. Guess they have seen me lose my temper occasionally. I DO have that Irish temper from my dad, lol.
Wouldn't you be? :icon_giggle:

cyndiofthevortex
October 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Marily, what a scary story! I shuttered to read all of it. I do hope he will be okay. I agree with everyone here - plastic knives for him for a while! Wrap some up and give them to him as a Christmas present, along with a big box of bandaids.

auntiemern
October 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I may just do that. Would be a great gag gift. Last year had everyone in tears with his 'main' gift. I replaced his purple heart that had been lost years ago in a fire. Not a dry eye in the house :)
Marily, what a scary story! I shuttered to read all of it. I do hope he will be okay. I agree with everyone here - plastic knives for him for a while! Wrap some up and give them to him as a Christmas present, along with a big box of bandaids.

Doloris
October 30th, 2012, 03:47 PM
how about buying him some of those gloves Fons and Porter sell for cutting

GrammaBabs
October 30th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Sounds like someone should lose his knife priviledges!!!!:0

auntiemern
October 30th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I actually mentioned those to him, to which his reply was, I think we can find something that doesn't come from a quilt shop. Suzy Que, we used to get all our deer processed, and then he just decided to start doing it himself. With the possibility of getting 3-4 deer per season, it can get quite costly, not to mention the kids are having a rough patch, and we would have to pay for theirs. But I am getting him some kind of safety gloves that he is going to have to wear, whether he likes it or not.
how about buying him some of those gloves Fons and Porter sell for cutting

Musical_Starling
October 31st, 2012, 12:34 AM
I actually mentioned those to him, to which his reply was, I think we can find something that doesn't come from a quilt shop. Suzy Que, we used to get all our deer processed, and then he just decided to start doing it himself. With the possibility of getting 3-4 deer per season, it can get quite costly, not to mention the kids are having a rough patch, and we would have to pay for theirs. But I am getting him some kind of safety gloves that he is going to have to wear, whether he likes it or not.

Make sure they're pink, that'll teach him! lol

Meli
October 31st, 2012, 01:26 AM
I swear the blood drained out of his face when he saw me coming. Knowing that your DH is not majorly injured, and that you're going to allow him to live, I just can't help laughing over this one sentence. Obviously he's more scared of you than he is of anything else. Keep up the good work, Marilyn!

P.S. My DH is a former Army Medic and an avid hunter. I can totally see him doing this, AND being more concerned about getting the deer butchered and the head to the taxidermist before going to the doc. He'd have dug out his Army medic kit and patched himself up and just kept going.