PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Monday

Blondie
October 29th, 2012, 06:14 AM

Happy Monday Folksies!

Got up to hubs cleaning a mess in the kitchen; seems our coffee pot ran over - I am not sure why but am certain it had something to do with me, hehehe. What a mess. Waiting on hubs to bring me my first cuppa.
Golly gee am I spoiled. I am used to having my coffee ready and waiting for me. hehe.

Rain, rain, wind, wind, dreariness on the schedule for the day here. The rain started last night; and true to the nature of this type of storm, it is coming in bands. So glad that I don't live on the coast! I find it fascinating since we live at the foothills of the mountains, ikt has travelled this far inland. The tv is giving all the latest updates from Delaware, Jersey, NY really praying for everyone in the path of this storm. Be safe everyone.

Not sure what I will get done today. I brought some of the houseplants in from outside in the past few days and need to get them settled in. My house is small, so with all the plants inside, it is smaller still. I may have to make space again in the basement. I need to get the plant lights out for the winter. I am giving that Christmas Cactus the front and center treatment. So pretty - and interesting that so many of us here in this group have one blooming as well. Just one more thing we have in common.

Okies, I ain't gonna ramble. Just wanted to peek in, say 'mornin' and share that second cuppa. Be sure to SMILE today!

Jean Sewing Machine
October 29th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Stay safe East Coast people. Local news says NYC is shut down, stock exchange, subways. And yet people go to the beach to see what it looks like. I don't get it, hunker down means stay inside.

My first day off from costumes yesterday was spent trying to decide which unfinished quilt project to start back up with. Then I went to the fabric store, big mistake! I found the cutest sewing cabinet, it has 3 baskets, a drawer and shelves behind a door. The best thing is the top is an ironing board! It is white with black and white check fabric on the baskets, door and ironing board. It fits in the tiny little space I have to devote to a little sewing station in a guest room. With the black and white motif going on, I guess I'll work on the black and white quilt!

Oh, and I took a nice long nap! Everybody, have a good day, stay dry and off the beach!

quilter.martha
October 29th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Morning Blondie and Jean! Our neck of the woods has battened down the hatches for Sandy, but its not going to be bad here. A couple of inches of rain and some wind. I know other areas are going to get hit hard and my thoughts go out to them. But here, they hyped it up so much. All the area schools are canceled. Oh well, we'll take what ever happens.

My DH and I spent the whole weekend laying hardwood flooring in our family room. I am stiff and sore this morning. Needless to say I didn't get much sewing done over the weekend. But, this project needed to get done. The wood has been laying in our basement since May, taking up way too much space. It going to look great when its finished. About 1/3 of the room to go.

Today is teaching tax school and grocery shopping and laying low for the storm. All of you out there have a great day and stay dry!

Divine Daisy
October 29th, 2012, 07:39 AM
First Day of Mr D's radiotherepy today, he will go every weekday for 3 weeks.

Apart from that I am going to ignore the mess in the house and sew. I had a brainstorm yesterday and began a halloween door hanging for my little friend Amy. It has to be finished, quilted and embellished by tomorrow lol. Why of why do I do this to myself?

So glad you have time to relax now Jean...........I remember the feeling of divine relief once a show was on and my job was jobbed lol. As soon as halloween is over Bonfire night will be upon us. Ah............Remember Remember the 5th of November. I suspect there will be a request for a 'little something' Amy's door for that too. Hmmmmmmm might be fun though to do something with the houses of parliament on it. Ok now my brain is working again lol.

Stay safe those in the path of storms. Makes me glad I live in the temporate climate of the UK

Monique
October 29th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Good morning everyone. All I did yesterday was sleep. Had a nap in the morning and then again in the afternoon. I don't know why I was so groggy but it truly was a day of rest. Needless to say all I did was look at fabric and think about what I wanted to make and went and laid down.

I have to work today. So not much of anything else today.

To all those in Sandy's path, stay safe.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

MayinJerset
October 29th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Gee I'm early today. I'm usually up this early but don't get around to posting until later. Still pretty dark out but I see some rain drops on the back door so Sandy will be here soon. Heard the highways close to us were closed because of flooding so we're staying put, not that we intended to go awhere.

We've lived here 52 years through Hurricanes and Blizzards and did OK so hope our luck holds out. Longest time we've ever been without power was about a half of a day but the past several years some areas have been without power for days or more. Used to tell people that we did OK because DH worked for the power co., reality was that when there were storms DH was at work and the kids and I handled whatever happened at home. DS Tim made it through the US Marine Marathon in DC OK, now he's heading to Nashville to get a flight home to CA. This is him, in red cap, with friend Fred with their ribbons from the race. 30785

Bubby
October 29th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Good Morning,

For those in Sandy's path, stay safe, dry and indoors!!! I never have understood why people have the need to get up close and personal to terrible storms!

We had a slow day yesterday. I baked some chocolate chip cookies and later made a big pot of chili. DH just told me not to let him eat three bowls of chili at one time again. I think he has chili in his veins.

I plan to begin binding the Halloween quilt today. I trimmed and squared it and cut the binding yesterday. I have a lot to get done today.

Jean, your cabinet sounds wonderful....how about a picture?

Hugs, Barb

MRoy
October 29th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Good morning, there's SNOW in the KY mountains east of here! The rain from Kathy is mostly in eastern KY too...we're getting wind and drizzle still...and it's cold! I've stayed in all weekend and I dread going out in the cold this morning. Wishing everyone a good Monday!

Lonna
October 29th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Good Morning Ladies prayers being lifted for those in the path of Sandy this morning. Here it is a cold morning at least a cold morning for our part of the country down to 39 degress. Today I will be able to wear those boots I bought a couple of weekends ago. Will also be able to take the lap quilt that I am working on to work with me. I still have to do a little more tying on it and who will know that I am working on it or just keeping my legs warm. Well I best get ready for work.

Stay warm, dry, and safe today my friends.

Blondie
October 29th, 2012, 09:24 AM
May, your son is so good looking and how proud I am of him, right along with you!!!!!
Jeanie Beanie, your cabinet sounds irresistable.
Myra, there is snow in the NC mountain town of Boone, perhaps others but that is what I've heard and read. Wondering if our NanaB - who lives even closer than I do to there - is having flurries in the rain?
Off to sew some circles down. There is a baby boy in Tennessee that needs one.
Hugs to all; enjoy your day

EnumclawGramma
October 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I'm up but not at 'em. Need my second cup of coffee and then we can talk about it. We (of course) are far away from this storm but we have a ton of family on that coast. My cousin's son was deployed to go help those who chose not to evacuate. Not good. Praying for all my family out there and anyone here who is in the path. Stay warm, dry and PLEASE....safe! Lots of cleaning to do on this Monday morning, and I plan on squeezing in some time to work on some Christmas table runners I'm making for gifts. I'm down to the FMQing and it's always a challenge to get it going right again, with every project. Trying to remember the settings I used. Someday I will remember to write this all down.

Rain here as far out on the weather map as it goes, and I see plenty of snow in the foothills. Here comes Winter. Ugh.

Hugs and prayers to all in need....Happy Monday!

(Jean I wanna see a picture too! Your cabinet sounds delightful!!!)

quiltingtrish
October 29th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone~~just rain here right now - ooh, here comes the wind! It's 50 degrees here right now and DH was disappointed it isn't snowing of which I told him we aren't supposed to get snow here, he only heard what he wanted to hear. He did fill a 30 gallon plastic drum of water for us that's sitting in the basement in case we need it for flushing.
Schools are closed today and probably will be tomorrow since the worst is supposed to hit here from 2 PM until 8 tomorrow morning. I'll be sewing until the lights go out. Hopefully that won't happen. The girls are here and the only one I need to worry about here is DS. He went to work. Anyways, it is what it is.

May - your son sure is handsome. I'm proud of him too, that's a tough race to get in to and much harder to run in it.

Well - suppose I should get moving here. Can't get any actual sewing done while I am typing. Hmmm, one of the girls is in the kitchen cooking breakfast. Wonder if I'll get any of it??

Hugs,

aliaslaceygreen
October 29th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Blondie, you know the real problem with coffee making is you have to do it before having had any coffee!!

Rainy here. Not terribly windy, yet. They have downgraded our rainfall totals to something far more livable, but I am getting more and more concerned for NY and NJ! I was looking at evacuation maps of my old home town...wow... huge... scary waves on the shore...and not even really started yet....

The idea of the subways being flooded, all those shore towns, the beaches.... just be careful out there, everyone!

I work close tonight... have to bind a bunch of mug rugs today, and pack for Houston....

I posted a new blog...you can get to it http://aliaslaceygreen.com/2012/10/28/houston-bound-2/ or I THINK my siggie is live

Take care!

LynneLeavell
October 29th, 2012, 10:46 AM
We are getting the cold front from Sandy. Today is not as wendy as it was yesterday. I'm just glad I have a little weight on me (ok alot) because any skinny minny would have blown away yesterday if they stood still long enough.

Prayers going out to all who live in the path of the storm and for those who are seriously ill or just ill. Have a great day everyone. Stay dry and warm wherever you are.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 29th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Gee I'm early today. I'm usually up this early but don't get around to posting until later. Still pretty dark out but I see some rain drops on the back door so Sandy will be here soon. Heard the highways close to us were closed because of flooding so we're staying put, not that we intended to go awhere.

We've lived here 52 years through Hurricanes and Blizzards and did OK so hope our luck holds out. Longest time we've ever been without power was about a half of a day but the past several years some areas have been without power for days or more. Used to tell people that we did OK because DH worked for the power co., reality was that when there were storms DH was at work and the kids and I handled whatever happened at home. DS Tim made it through the US Marine Marathon in DC OK, now he's heading to Nashville to get a flight home to CA. This is him, in red cap, with friend Fred with their ribbons from the race. 30785
Looks like the big hit is headed your way, believe me, we will be thinking of you and praying for you. Keep in touch as well as you can!

Ginny B
October 29th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Good morning all. How is everyone this morning? Pretty windy here now but not much rain yet and the wind is just coming in gusts and we have lost 2 branches from our tree on the front lawn. It is an old tree and loses a branch or 2 in bad storms. Most of the leaves are off already so that is a good thing I guess. Lights flicker occasionally too. DH went into work but I am hoping they close early and he gets home before it gets too bad later today. We are situated right in the middle of Long Island so we are far enough away from L.I. Sound and the ocean so other than street flooding, we won't have to worry about any of that. My main concern is the tree. I am praying for it to be able to withstand this. Like when Irene came through, DH and I will sleep downstairs on the backside of the house tonight away from the tree just in case. I have a feeling I will not sleep very well tonight.

I am off to do some sewing for a bit. I will check in later (power permitting, lol). Stay safe everyone.

Ginny B

Madeforyouinma11
October 29th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Just a little windy and little rain here. I think we will be ok here, but the worst is not here until tonight so fingers crossed that everyone is safe through all of it.
Blondie, I have a Christmas cactus that has many buds on it just waiting to pop open. I was told that it would bloom on/ around every holiday and so far it hasn't let me down.
Jean, I would love to see a pic of your new cabinet...sounds really nice.
Well, I need to catch up on some reading and then off to the sewing room. Wrapping things up for the weekend fair.

Hope everyone has a great day! Be safe!

Cathy F
October 29th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Morning all!

Light rain starting here and some wind gusts. We've done what preparation we can now it's just the waiting and riding it out. It's predicted the heaviest parts will start tonight around 6pm and continue on through out tomorrow. I have huge maple trees on the property and that's a concern as they haven't dropped their leaves yet. We have a generator in case of power failure. We were without power for 9 days with Irene. We are usually the last to have power restored as there are only 5 houses on that utility pole so we're not a high priority when they're trying to get the power restored to the masses. I'm on the south shore but thankfully out of the flood area. Be safe everyone, will be glad when this is over and we know how everyone is. Off to bake DH some cookies, as long as there's some sweets in the house he's a happy camper!

Sandy Navas
October 29th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Like everyone else we're tuned in and tracking that storm. Al's 91YO aunt in NYC decided to stay put and 'ride it out'. I know how she reacts in storms so I truly hope this was a wise choice. She is so able-bodied (appears to be in her 70's by all counts) so I am sure she'll fare well.

Not sure what's going on around here today except I babysit (DGD sit) from about 2 until ??. Soooo, since I'm running behind time (HATE the atomic clock that resets for DST when CONGRESS has changed the date so many times) Anyway, we're off and late getting up by an hour (never caught it yesterday).

I spent almost all my time yesterday working on my version of the Green Tea and Peas quilt for next year and can say that so far I am totally impressed with myself . . . but I did hurt my wrist trying to pat myself on the back.

Enough silliness. Be safe, be well, be happy. Oh, and stay inside unless you absolutely have to be out.

CrazyMtnLady
October 29th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Good Morning all. I pray that all of you in the path of the storm stay safe. It is just cold here in the Ozarks this morning, but it is suppose to warm up to the 60's this week.
DH got home from his weekend gun show last evening and is really pooped today. We were watching the news and they were saying how everyone should stay out of the storm and hunker down, so he said "See, we have to stay in today and be safe." LOL we are a long way from the east coast!
Finished the cowboy quilt yesterday and now I just need to wash it. Will get pictures up as soon as we can get to town and buy a memory card for the new camera DH bought. It is really nice with lots of great features.
We will be cutting and splitting wood this week, plus we need to go to the neighbors and get a load of hay for our hay tent.

Have a great day....
Hugs and prayers to all.

alliek
October 29th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Good Morning all, Thanks for all the prayers and concerns for those in the path of this storm. That's what I love about this forum, you almost feel as if you personally "know" people! Love you all. God Bless.

janluna
October 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Good Morning everyone, We are waiting for the storms to hit our area. It's raining but the wind hasn't gotten here yet. We are so lucky to have storms coming from all four directions. We have a front coming from Canada, Sandy from the south and east and a front from the west. Please pray we don't lose power. Our generator is broke, and I fear the sump pump will flood the basement. (Or as I call it, Joe's Dungeon) Even more I worry about my birds. If we lose power we lose heat, and everything else. We have an all electric house. So if I don't check in tomorrow you'll know why. And of course, I just filled the freezer! I'll make sure that my laptop is charged. Then maybe I can tell you what's going on. That is unless the cable goes out. They said on the news last night, they expect a lot of trees down. It seems, since we are usually getting hit from the south west, our trees root systems are stronger on that side of the trees. If we get the winds they are predicting from the NE, the trees will be in a vulnerable way. Ahh, the joys of nature.
Emily's cold has now gone into a severe case of bronchitis, and they have added a second strong antibiotic to her list of meds. She feels really rotten. Poor baby.
Alison, how is your Mom doing? We've been praying for all three of you. And for everyone else that is sick, injured, or facing surgery. Well, I guess I'll go sew while I can. God Bless you all. Praying for the people on the coastline. Also for people on the shores of Lake Ontario. They are expecting anywhere from 6 to 12 foot waves. That's a lot for a lake. Hugs, Jan L.

lilmouse
October 29th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Morning everyone....will be thinking all day about the people living through this storm......go to work in a little bit...long day today and then off all week....take care and praying for all!

shannonsaulter
October 29th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Good Morning Everyone!!!
Another day of work for me today but its my Thursday so its the downhill slide for me..looking forward to next week as I will get 4 days off..WOOHOO!!
I am going back tothe quilt shop to try and find some more fabric for the mug rugs for our trip..found some on ebay but want to see fabric in person..
I was talking to my DHhe has a trunk in storage with his fathers clothing and thinking of using it to make a rememberance lap quilt for him and his 6 brothers and sisters..
Talked to one of my SIL and she said she wants to give me some of their moms quilt squares made from their old kids clothes...
Well off to see whats new here and have my coffee....
Have a great day all and to the East Coasters stay safe!

toggpine
October 29th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Hi everybody!
I had alate start to the day too. We missed the school bus. Tragedy! I stayed to help in the class room today. I worked on sight words with several of the kids. On Wednesday I get to help with math. Thankfully it's only first grade, so I can still figure it out!

I have made some modifications to the dino/dragon pattern to make it more kid friendly. This thing is going to drive me crazy. Thankfully, it will be big enough for her to wear more than one year.

The rain has blown away for a bit here, but we are scheduled to get some more. It is eerily warm out for this kind of weather. I'm sure it will shift back to cold and wet soon enough.
Prayers for our friends and family who are facing that storm. I was watching the Weather Channel last night and somebody called it a "Hur'Easter." Really? Where DO they come up with this stuff? I guess it doesn't matter what they call it as long as everyone stays safe.

Hugs, Cathy

buckeyequilter
October 29th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Good evening....

I'm sitting here watching the news and they're saying the hurricane is just about ready to make landfall. Praying for the safety of our friends and everyone else on the coast!

bkthomas
October 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Good morning, there's SNOW in the KY mountains east of here! The rain from Kathy is mostly in eastern KY too...we're getting wind and drizzle still...and it's cold! I've stayed in all weekend and I dread going out in the cold this morning. Wishing everyone a good Monday!

How do you confuse "Sandy" with "Kathy" ? hehe

Sandy Navas
October 29th, 2012, 10:41 PM
How do you confuse "Sandy" with "Kathy" ? hehe

Easy - we're both destined to leave our mark on the world.

janluna
October 30th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Sandy, I love the quote at the bottom of your post. You have already made your mark, luv. I know, You're not done yet! Well, we have gotten 72 mile an hour gusts. The rest of the time, we've had 37 and 49 mile an hour sustained winds. So far (knock on wood, touch a rabbits foot, salt over the shoulder) we have power. My Son Joe is in the City of Rochester at command center as he is now working in the Chiefs Office. He hates that. He would rather be on line duty with his guys. As the Chief says "but Joe, You're so good at this end." Joey hates it. As soon as they made him a Captain, they moved him to command.
So far, they have had a couple of deaths in NYC. I haven't heard of any here but I'm concerned. Especially for the homeless people. I sure pray they all go to shelters. People in Farmington are out of power. That's where Emily is. She is so sick with Bronchitis. Thank you for your prayers for her. Her body is trying to fight the infection. Her ANC level is at 5400. That is the highest it has been in 3 years. Some of her levels are at the edge of normal. Yes, I said close to low normal! We would like to jump up and down and praise the Lord. We are, as Heather put it, "hopefully pleased." And we are praying the other shoe will stay put, and not fall. Forgive me Lord for being tentative. I am trying to be positive, honest. Emily is on 2 major antibiotics. So, I'm waiting to see if her levels stay put after she is done taking those.
I'm going to be up all night, as the wind is so loud. I've never heard it this loud in the 39 years I've lived here.
They are really watching the **** at Mount Morris. I guess the Genesee River is getting full too.
Well, so much for my check in. I'm worried about Sue and Ginny B. They are right in the mist of things in NYC. Has anyone heard from them? They said people on Long Island are pretty much cut off of everything and the power is out. And the flooding is really bad down there. Now they are saying we(where I am) have sustained 55 mile an hour winds. They also just said they are evacuating NYU New york Hospital in the big apple. Not good!
Rochester only has 7000 without power but they have flooding and and trees going down. They are evacuating low lying areas and 2400 homes on Lake Ontario have been evacuated. 3000 homes in Wayne County. They have clocked the winds at 90 on Lake Ontario sustained. The gusts are off the charts. They don't even register on the meters. I am so glad I am where I am right now.
My lights just blinked. I better shut stuff down. So far the power is holding.
I'm worried about Trish in PA. too. They are getting hit hard. I'll stop now. bye. Hugs, Jan L.