• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sewsoft
    Designer Diva
    • Oct 2010

Sewing machine

I know the brand of sewing machine is a personal preference thing. What kind of sewing machines are you all sewing on? I'm afraid mine may not be a good one for quilting. Also what is a good rotary cutter, the larger or smaller ones what brand? I'm new here and starting quilting again after years. Any help or things you all don't mind sharing, I thank you very much.
  • jrchapman
    The Guild President
    • Sep 2009

Re: Sewing machine

I did a lot of sewing on my mum's Husqvarna Viking which was very fancy but did a lot of things that I didn't really need it to do. I've moved back to my Pfaff now which is more basic but very well built and has dual feed as standard which is handy for quilting.

When you're picking a rotary cutter, the larger ones are good for straight lines and the small ones are generally used for cutting curves. If you're just starting up again a 45mm blade will be the best bet. The Fiskars ones they sell at Missouri Star are very good quality.
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

• Texsam
      The Guild President
      • Feb 2010

I have a Janome. It's not one of the top of the line quilting machines, but I can quilt on it and it does what I need to do. It is computerized -so that was a step up from my mechanical Singer. I really like the features on it - especially the needle threader!
      Shelia

Comment

• hillbilly
        Banned
        The Guild President
        • Jun 2010

My 'paranormal' machine as it was referred to today on another thread, LOL, is a Brother. I've always liked brother's until this one. It is a LEMON!! I think they make good machines, but I think I got a bad one.

I have a mechanical plain singer that does the job.

I am after a Janome myself. I am trading the brother in today at a Janome store. Janome/New Home makes Kenmore machines...and I used a Kenmore for years and years with no problems at all!

Comment

• stephs2125
          Beginning Stitcher
          • Aug 2010

I have two machines. My first is a Singer which is fine for piecing the top but doesn't quilt very well...it was my first machine so was very "entry level". My main machine and the one I use to quilt is a Bernina which I was most fortunate enough to buy 2nd hand from a friends mother who no longer used it. I can't say enough what an amazing machine that is!

Comment

• Keepstitchin
            Block Queen
            • Aug 2010

I have a problem with collecting sewing machines!! I have 7 plus a Babylock jet air Serger. However, my 2 favorites are my Pfaff mechanical for piecing, I take it to classes and such if I an just doing straight sewing. It is a workhorse! Then, I have a Babylock Elageo Sewing and Embroidery machine. It has all the bells an whistles and of course, the embroidery. I am going to start quilting projects on that one.
            ~Laurie

Comment

• janluna
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2009

I'd love to get a Phaff someday. My GF has a Bernina that she just loves. And right now I'm using a Singer quilting machine. It's what I could afford and so far it has done extremely well. I also have a little basic Brother that is a workhorse but needs to be cleaned up and oiled etc. That one is good to carry to a class cause it's smaller and lighter. But I'll be lugging the Singer. I just hope moving it around doesn't mess it up. It's pretty heavy. Good luck finding the one you love.
              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

• Sewbee
                The Guild President
                • Sep 2010

I always used my Singer Futura which was a wedding present from my parents in 1972 and loved it. Made lots of clothes, maternity and baby outfits for my sister, simple curtains and small household items. Pulled it off the shelf after many years of non-use and recently made some new curtains but SO much wanted to get a new computerized machine with more features than the Singer had. I ended up getting a Brother Project Runway PC-420 which I just love! Has lots of professional features like knee lift for the presser foot, automatic needle threader, auto needle down or needle up position, auto thread cutter, large number of specialty stitches with a fair amount of basic embroidery stitches but without the professional price tag. One big difference between it and my old Singer is the new Brother does not balk at any heavyweight, thick fabric. It adjusts smoothly to changes in thickness and just sails right through the heavyweight stuff.

I attempted my first machine quilting this week on a large hot pad that I used 2 layers of felt for batting. The Brother did great using the walking foot for the straight line quilting and I even tried doing Free Motion quilting for the first time using the darning foot and the machine handled it just fine. I need LOTS of practice though! I'm very happy with my Brother and my 25+ year old White Superlock serger so I don't have plans to upgrade anytime soon.

As to the rotary cutters I have several sizes in the Olfa brand along with my Olfa self healing rotary mats and like them just fine. I find the very small 18mm rotary useful for curves on small applique pieces but generally use my 45mm rotary cutter for most jobs. I did learn that making rag quilts out of flannel really dulls the blades pretty quickly. My blades are lasting much longer now that I am cutting 100% cotton quilting fabrics most the time.
                Linda
                -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

• kahillusm
                  The Guild President
                  • Sep 2010

I just bought a Husqvarana/Viking Model Sapphire 875 quilt machine and am loving it !!

Comment

• Blondie
                    Missouri Star
                    • May 2010

I sew on a Babylock and have a few other various vintage and newer machines. I am a gadget freak. Really itching to get a new machine but have no excuse since I adore my babylock.

I have a few rotary cutters, 45 mm good size for the straight lines like our sweet JR mentioned. I have an Olfa, Dritz and another brand that escapes me at the moment. Not fond of the Dritz. Hard to get the wheel to move. Like the OLfa best.

When you are looking at machines, these gals will be a good guide. I purchased my babylock used as it was a store demo for a while. I got a good deal on it, would have never been able to spend the $$ otherwise. Told hubs it was my Christmas that year. It is not the super fancy bells and whistles but a sturdy workhorse. I have done some small quilted projects with it with no problems.

Blessings to you

Blondie
                    Sewing mends the soul.
                    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

• shell.scraps
                      Missouri Star
                      • Mar 2009

I have a Brother and I love it.
                      Michele

Comment

• Tslave57
                        Block Queen
                        • Oct 2010

Does anybody have any experience with a Babylock? I bought mine in February and absolutely love it. It's nothing fancy...just a regular sewing machine with no bells and whistles, but it's a hard working machine.

Comment

• Blondie
                          Missouri Star
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by Tslave57 View Post
                          Does anybody have any experience with a Babylock? I bought mine in February and absolutely love it. It's nothing fancy...just a regular sewing machine with no bells and whistles, but it's a hard working machine.
                          I have a babylock and love it. It sounds like yours - nothing fancy but a good little workhorse. I've had mine about 5 years.
                          Sewing mends the soul.
                          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

• patticakes
                            Missouri Star
                            • Dec 2009

I have a new Kenmore and I love it! My old one was a Kenmore and it lasted forever. I just wanted an electronic one and saved my pennies to get it so it means so much. Would love to have something that embroiders letters so that I could make quilt labels. Maybe someday!
                            Patti
                            Patti
                            "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

• shell.scraps
                              Missouri Star
                              • Mar 2009

Babylock and Brother that are made now....are the same machine...made in the same plant...with the same parts....but with different names on them so I'm guessing they are going to be pretty close in comparison...the older ones though this was not the case.
                              Michele

Comment

Working...
                              X