PDA

View Full Version : Ruby, where are you?

Monique
October 28th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I am just listening to the news:

A powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.7 hit Canada's Pacific coastal province of British Columbia late Saturday, setting off a small tsunami, but there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage, officials said.

Earthquakes Canada said the quake in the Haida Gwaii region has been followed by numerous aftershocks as large as 4.6 and said a small tsunami has been recorded by a deep ocean pressure sensor.

They keep talking about Hawaii on the news. Ruby, I hope you are safe!!

Monique
October 28th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I just saw a post on FB from Ruby. So far, all is okay.

Blondie
October 28th, 2012, 09:32 AM
my first thoughts upon waking and hearing this was of our Ruby. Lord keep her safe.

Bubby
October 28th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Praying for you and Don....stay safe dear friends!

HandsOffItsMine
October 28th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Dear friends we're ok!

Just after 7 pm (we were watchin H50) first Tsunami warners started and at 7:30 the Tsunami sirens went off and the News became a permanent fixture on TV.

We're one mile from the beach and folks were driving up the two main roads to get to higher ground, to get to our place and the two other main complexes. Folks ended up parking on either side. Our guards were busy 'cause you can only have 4 guest per unit, what are you going to say when the van has 9! Aloha...come in. It's a fickin' national disaster.

In Waikiki/Honolulu, they recommended vertical evacuation - get higher than the 4th floor. Hotels already had that in place. Traffic on the freeways, streets were bad but not as bad since we only had 3.5 hours warning.

The news crews wanted to get to Waianae, but couldn't get that far, policy had the roads blocked. Only folks could head out. They got to Ko O'lina where Disney and Mariott Hotels are, went to the harbor around 11pm saw not damage at that time. Don't know yet if there is damage now. Waiting for news to come on at 5.

I do know that Hilo harbor had boats on dry sand last night already. Hopefully the damages will be light on all the Islands.

We already had 12-15' waves this week as the winter waves started early this year. The Tsunami will cause dangerous waters for several days afterwards. The concern will be for the homeless children on the beach, Don and I will be checking the areas that we know of to see if they got hit. Also to see if the Lifeguards are going to send in men/women to educate them on the dangers of the waters.

Thanks again for your concerns and prayers. Huggers, Ruby and Don

Jess1377
October 28th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Oh thank goodness, I just saw that on the news a few minutes ago and am so glad to hear you are alright and such safety precautions are in place. Take care and stay safe!!!

lilmouse
October 28th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Thank goodness you are ok.....keep us posted!

auntiemern
October 28th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Oh my, when I read your FB post I was in shock. I really need to start watching the news. So very glad you and Don are ok. Will be praying for the kids of Waianae, and of course the entire island. Keep us posted. Hugs and prayers to you and Don ((((Ruby & Don))))

Monique
October 28th, 2012, 05:37 PM
That is great news for you and Don. Still thinking of you.

Winniesfriend
October 28th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Glad to hear you and Don and Hawaii are safe .......My son and his wife are going to Hawaii next year and Disneyland, my 3 yo granddaughters favourite spot to go is Hawaii, even more so than Disneyland... LOL