PDA

View Full Version : Getting past the quilting block, one step at a time

RiverMomm
October 27th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I have noticed that several forum members are experiencing quilter's block. Me too! Ever since I got home from my brother's funeral, I just can't get in the mood to quilt. I have the fabric and I have the need (my first grandson was born recently), but I just don't feel like it. I will walk by my soft baby flannels and pat them and thinks-oohhh so soft. But no sewing.

So, last night I decided to just do something. Anything! I remember that when my boys were babies, my favorite receiving blankets were just one layer of flannel. So soft and absorbent (needed with the one burpy, barfy son!). I picked up the closest flannel. It was the only piece I had already washed. Hancock sale when I was down in the States.

Yep, I did it. Not a quilt, but a start.

Lonna
October 27th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Yea you did something I sure wish I could get moving this morning. I need to find some little something that I can start and finish today. I have 3 quilts that I need to sandwich and quilt but just hate the sandwich part. By the way your receiving blanket is cute. Keep moving forward I hope to fall into your steps soon.

Sandy Navas
October 27th, 2012, 11:58 AM
It always happens when you've had an upset in your normal routine - a major upset in your life and you've truly gone through that. Sometimes it just takes time for you to settle in again and relearn where you are in life. Sometimes that seems to be a daily occurrence in mine.

MayinJerset
October 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM
The receiving blanket is so cute. Good for you, you've begun working out your quilting block. I like to keep my main machine all threaded and ready for sewing to get me through times like that, only problem is that I need to stop procastinating and walk up the stairs to my sewing room and get started.

Jess1377
October 27th, 2012, 12:33 PM
It always happens when you've had an upset in your normal routine - a major upset in your life and you've truly gone through that. Sometimes it just takes time for you to settle in again and relearn where you are in life. Sometimes that seems to be a daily occurrence in mine.

I love what Sandy said, cause its so true. I took a year to get back into sewing and wish I hadnt. I see how supportive everyone is here and maybe should have opened up here and maybe wouldnt have taken so long. But you did fantastic by just jumping in and just doing something ~ which is adorable btw! Hopefully you ejoyed yourself and may be inspired to doing more? I love the stitching on the blanket and the personalization is so cute!! :icon_bigsmile:

lilmouse
October 27th, 2012, 12:56 PM
You did something...that's the first baby step....and you will take another....the blanket is adorable! And you can never have too many receiving blankets...that's my opinion anyway....good for you...I am also coming out of a slump; know how you feel (slump wise). My thoughts are with you...hugs Susie

nurrsey
October 27th, 2012, 12:58 PM
That fabric is soooo cute....you are on the right track to get back in the mood.

auntiemern
October 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Have to agree with Sandy on this one. You have just gone thru a great tragedy in your life. And at the same time you were blessed with a new grand son. Everyone goes through life changes differently, so don't expect to feel a certain way because some one else told you that is what you should be feeling or doing. I love the baby blanket. It is a wonderful way to start the healing process. Go at your own pace, and know that you are being thought of here. Prayers continuing for you and your family.

BellasQuilts
October 27th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Yep, just stitching on something gets the juices flowing - practice a new block, your FMQ, etc. It'll get you jumpstarted again.

lilmouse
October 28th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I broke my slump tonight.....put the binding on the Circle of Comfort quilt....still needs to be sewed to the back (handstitching); saving that for when I meet on Friday with the First Friday Quilters in my area (gave my daughter my portable so have to take handstitching with me) and I made a lap quilt including borders...just have to sandwich it and quilt and bind...three others still in queue but the important thing is I broke that slump...if I can so can you!