PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Morning

Blondie
October 27th, 2012, 05:52 AM

Happy Saturday folksies!

Don't ask me why I have been awake since 3:15. Actually hubby woke up before me. We need a new mattress. I declare making a pallet of quilts on the hardwood floor would sleep better. But since we aint'a gonna be gettin' one anytime in the near future, I will continue to toss and turn, roll and tumble.

Keeping my ears open for those in the line of this storm on the east coast. I doubt we here inland will get more than a bit of rain - I have noticed that yesterday the wind was really picking up here - don't really believe that had anything to do with the storm. I hesitate to speak too soon because several years back in the late 90's there was a hurricane that hit around labor day - I think it was Rita? - and we were without power here for about 10 days. Talk about a stinking time - literally - I was never so thankful in my life to have water and power restored. I cooked on my woodstove, lost everything in my freezer - got pretty durned good at the woodstove cooking. My Daddy made it and he made it to cook on in case of power outages. Back then when the storm hit, he came over to eat my old timey cooking. After that, he and mom got a generator - price of gasoline keeps her in fear of having to use it. lol.

Be safe, dear ones. Be good to yourself and SMILE.

Monique
October 27th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Good morning Blondie. I have been up at about the same time as you. It has been a busy few days.

On Thursday I went to city to buy some new bras and a new prosthesis. Boy, it was a good thing. Everything I had was all WRONG! I am all sized up now and looking pretty darn good too if I do say so myself.

On the way home, we stopped to see friends, because they don't get too many visitors. Well we ended up staying for dinner and the night. Got home yesterday to messages waiting. I was asked to work in the afternoon and I will work 2 days next week.

I have so many things I need to do and/or get done for SS. I need to get off my A***SS and do things. My get up go got up and left without me, I think.

We will see what this day brings. Have a wonderful Saturday friends. And take care to those in the path of the Sandy. What? A hurricane name SANDY???????

Jean Sewing Machine
October 27th, 2012, 07:04 AM
I'm awake and it is 5:00 a.m. And I hit the sheets just when the new Daily Deal was revealed. Hope I can get back to sleep soon! This will be a busy day, but I need more sleep to survive it!

Hope you all have a good day!

aliaslaceygreen
October 27th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Morning! Drizzly and DARK here still... I feel like I am up in the middle of the night, but the clock says 7:11, so.... Silly cat woke us early because ONE of the two food bowls was ALMOST empty....so he scratched and scratched till we fixed it. He is right, he could have wasted away waiting for us to get up...he is very undernourished...

RFREE
October 27th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Good morning all my quilting buddies.
Blondie we grew up on a wood stove.I hated it then but didn't know there was anything different to heat with back then.I really hated cutting the wood for it but the white beans mamma cooked on it was awsome!Miss that so bad.
Monique, you cracked me up, that is one of my favorite sayings..."my get up and go got up and went".
Jean you are quite a go getter. So proud you got your costuming done and the play turned out.Good for you. You go girl!
Trish, I had a cat that looked just like yours years ago. He was a stray and we named him "Fuzzy nuts" for obvious reasons ha ha lol.
No big plans for me today I want to get the house cleaned up and do a little sewing for my SS.Like Monique I will get behind if I don't get off my behind!!!
Have a wonderful day everyone!

buckeyequilter
October 27th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Good morning....

I have to get out and about this morning...need to get some food and drinks for tonight. Might see what coupons I have for JoAnn's and make a quick stop in there - I think I want to get a 28mm rotary cutter.

Like Monique, I need to get off my butt and get a couple things made for my SS. I think when I get off here I'll go out and see what I do have in the Christmas box.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day....hugs and prayers to all.

Bubby
October 27th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Hi Everyone,

I slept in this morning. My back has been messed up for the past three days and I took a muscle relaxer and it knocked me out in the middle of dinner. DH put me to bed and I woke up feeling better but still foggy. We have to work in Cuba today. I have an appointment to show a unit.

I picked up my quilts from Reggie yesterday (my LAQer). As soon as my back allows I will trim them and get the binding on them. I want to get the Halloween quilt bound first since next Wednesday is Halloween! The JRR quilt looks really good quilted. I like it so much better now. It hung in my closet for almost a year waiting to be finished!

I will check in later. I have to get ready to go...we have a 90 minute drive to Cuba and need to make two stops on the way.

Wishing everyone a great Saturday and if you are in the path of 'Frankenstorm', stay safe. Hugs, Barb

Ginny B
October 27th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Good Morning all. Dreary, cloudy morning here. It's been that way most mornings recently. We've only had a few nice sunny mornings lately. And I guess Sandy is going to keep the sun from shining upon us for a while now.

Got a message from ds in CA. He had a bit of an accident while playing softball. He got hit in the mouth with a fly ball and bit his tongue and needed 3 stitches. :) He did actually call me yesterday too but I didn't want to make him talk too much so we have been texting. He said it hurts to swallow and eating is an issue and he is hungry. I suggested milkshakes. He said he will try that. He has some numbing cream he can put on. I don't know how long it will take to heal. I can't even imagine what that will feel like.

Hope everyone has a good Saturday. I'll check in later.

Ginny B

MRoy
October 27th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Good morning! It's a gloomy, blustery, chilly day here. We were invited to a Halloween bonfire/cookout tonight, but it's just too chilly for me. I have trouble staying warm as it is!

To anyone in the path of the storm, praying for your safety! Have a great day!

quiltingtrish
October 27th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Hello all!
Ouch - hit in the mouth. I've got prayers for him that he heals soon.
Hurricane Sandy - yeah, Sandy love - what's up with that? We are to get the major hit on Monday and Tuesday with the heavy rains and winds. We are all buttoned down here and am heading to Dads today rather than tomorrow (and driving home late tomorrow night with the rains and wind starting) to get him buttoned down. If we have to cook outside, it will somehow have to be at the new firepit DH build a few weeks ago. I think my biggest problem will be keeping the girls from driving all over. They are young and not thinking most of the time. I, of course, get the long-dragged out lecture on how I am overreacting at the forecasts when I mention something like 'possibly the largest storm to hit us in 2012 will hit our area this week'' from them. So, I've learned to say it simply and let them take it from there.
A food store run this morning is in order and then off to Dad's.
I hope you all have a great day.
Hugs,

New York Sue
October 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Trish, I used to be one of those 'you're over-reacting' folks until Irene...
Now, I just make sure we have what we need to get by. For 5 days, without electric, that is.
BEFORE the run on the stores....
My local convenience store is VERY crafty. WalMart may be out of lamplight oil, but the'll have it, and gladly sell it to you for nearly 5 times the normal retail!
UH, NO.....
We're ready this time! Hunker down, and be safe my fellow North-Easterners! My BEST thoughts your way...

MayinJerset
October 27th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Been waking up the dark mornings here also. Not too worried about Sandy because although we live near The Shore in Jersey we're closer to the bay than the Atlantic Ocean. Never had any flooding in the 50+ years we've lived here but keeping my fingers crossed that we don't this time. Lower lying areas around the bay and ocean will probably be evacuated as a precaution.

Biggest concern is if it rains in DC on Sunday as that's when DS@#3 is running in the Marine Corps. Marathon. He flew from CA to Dulles last night and staying with a high school friend who is also running. Will check his Facebook later to see what's doing. So far he as raised $1250 in donations for Wounded Warriors. Good Luck Tim! May in Jersey

cyndiofthevortex
October 27th, 2012, 10:43 AM
DH and I have a wonderful day planned! We are visiting our daughter Faith and the three most adorable little girls you have ever seen. I just love them to pieces. I may not be able to control myself and may have to post a pic or two when we get home. They live in Revere, MA just up from the beach and we're worried about flooding at their house. All of us here in the northeast are in waiting mode - getting ready as best we can and then just waiting to see what Sandy is going to bring us. Words like "megastorm" and "frankenstorm" have been thrown around, and the weathermen are just busting to tell us the latest news. This is not going to be fun.

Sandy Navas
October 27th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Feeling the anxiety for all my friends in the North East. And again, I'm terribly upset about being associated with this BIG WIND. At least when I talk at home Al tells me it is HOT AIR.

Think I'm taking a day to do a bit of housecleaning (absolutely necessary) today. Other than that I have no big plans. I am more of a 'fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants' type person anyway. But, you've probably all noticed that already.

So, off here and on to reading the rest of the news for the day. Continued prayers for those in need - whether for health, wealth, or warmth and safety.

Lonna
October 27th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Good Morning Ladies,

Quite morning here this morning. Enjoying the day off have so much that needs to be done that just don't know which way to turn. Have several projects in my mind that I want to do but just don't have the get up and go to start or even finish one. My thoughts and prayers are with all those along the east coast. I know how stressful it is just waiting for Sandy to hit, when Katrina was coming at us it was like just hurry up and get it over with so we can pick up and move forward. It is that scary unknown that will drive you crazy.

Guess I best make myself get up from this couch and do something other wise come the end of the day I will be upset with myself for not getting anything done. Have a great one my friends.

meemeecyn
October 27th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Happy Saturday! Just took a carrot cake out of the oven. To celebrate SIL birthday later today. Will watch the grandgirls so their parents can go out for Italian food.

Yup, we're all preparing for a potential big storm. It sounds like it will be even worse farther south. I thought it was a funny co-ink-a-dink that they named the hurricane Sandy! Nothing resembling our Sandy Navas!!!

Take care and stay safe.
Cynthia

auntiemern
October 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Good day all. Finally woke up feeling a little bit better, not much but a little. Prayers going out for all in the line of the storm. May, you must be so proud of your son. What a wonderful thing for him to do. Is he in the corp? I have a special place in my heart for Marines. DH is a Marine, can't say ex cuz there is no such thing as ex Marine. DH is out of town til tomorrow evening, so I have to heat up my own soup today, lol. May try to do something today, but not gonna over do it. Hugs and Blessings to all, and prayers for those in need.

lilmouse
October 27th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Morning everyone, not too much going on here...worried about all those in the path of the storm....saying prayers for all....have to work today and then it will be sewing until the wee hours of the morning...may do some rearranging before I leave for work today...thinking on it anyways.....didn't get anything done last night...spent what was left of my evening on the computer...so have to make up for it tonight....we will see how it goes! Hugs and prayers for all in need and smile everyone....someone will wander what you are up to!

nurrsey
October 27th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Good morning forum friends.....

I am sitting in the Fiat dealership getting Rosie an oil change. It is her first....woohoo. Busy day, i am going to Sams Club next and then home. i hope to get a little bit of sewing in before going to the symphony tonight. Prayers going out to all the people in line of the storm. Have a great Saturday!!

Madeforyouinma11
October 27th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Afternoon everyone... Been crazy busy getting things done for the fair. Only one week left! Today's plan is getting things bunkered down for the storm. We have a few things that need to be put away. A quick run to the store for a few things, not many. Then it will be back to the sewing room. I have no idea what Sandy will bring but prayers out to everyone in her path. Be safe everyone!
Have a great day!

BellasQuilts
October 27th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Good mid morning. Still not home yet, but glad I can jump on here and catch up with everyone. Worried about DS and BIL. They are in NC on the coast (BIL is writing a book about the Marines) for the next 9 months doing research. They are a 10 min. walk to the beach, so I am worried about them. Please say a little prayer for their safety with all the others that need them.

MayinJerset
October 27th, 2012, 04:19 PM
May, you must be so proud of your son. What a wonderful thing for him to do. Is he in the corp? I have a special place in my heart for Marines. DH is a Marine, can't say ex cuz there is no such thing as ex Marine.

Yes I am proud of Tim for raising so much money. He's 46 and has been running in marathons and smaller races in Californai where he lives for the past few years. He also does other community outreach work with the Knights of Coumbus, had some Marines over for dinner last Thanksgiving and teaches CCD at his church. Not bad for a guy who was an agnostic in college and then Unitiaran in grad school and now is active in his church. Not sure why he picked the Marine Corps. Marathon as he wasn't in the Marines although my DH was back in the late 1950's. Would have thought he would run in next month's New York Marathon like his older brother Bob did for several years until his back problems made him quit. Tim could have stayed with us, we would have dropped him off on Staten Island where the race begins and then would have met him in Central Park after the race, that's what we used to do for Bob. Anyway according to his Facebook he and his friend are in DC where it is bright and sunny, they are picking up their stuff for tomorrow's race. Hope the weather holds for them. Mom's always worry no matter how old our kids get. May in Jersey

toggpine
October 27th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Hi everybody!

I am in the middle of Halloween costume construction.
I have learned a few things. I DO NOT like to sew that material with the sparkly dots on it. It apparently has some sort of adhesive to hold them on and it gums up the needle. There is more basting on this costume than a queen sized quilt. The dinosaur tail probably weighs more than the body of the costume will be able to manage. And that same tail should have been hidden from the 6 year old until it was attached to the costume, as it is now being drug behind her around the house.
At least I know she will love it when it is done.
Next year, she will be a ghost.

Brief bathroom break & reload the ice water, & back to the red dinosaur.

Anybody heard from Ruby? I hope she's out on the beach and not having a migraine.
I hope you all are having a fabulous day doing what you're doing!
Hugs, Cathy

Ginny B
October 27th, 2012, 11:09 PM
We got everything buttoned down here today. Raked 12 bags of leaves from our 1 tree on the front lawn so that the winds didn't blow them down the street and block the sewers. We will probably bring in the rest of the outside chairs tomorrow before the rains get too heavy. My house is already turned upside down because of the kitchen renovation and now Sandy is making me put more things into rooms that they don't belong in.

Be careful traveling back from your dad's Trish. Good luck everyone.

Ginny B