PDA

View Full Version : Finally Home

phoots
October 27th, 2012, 02:58 AM
My BF and I arrived home this afternoon. Yesterday, Thursday, was the service for my Mom. It was beautiful, full of laughter and tears. My Dad spoke, both of my sisters spoke and I recited two pomes. The first poem my Dad had written when my Mom was in Washington, D.C. having surgery and he was on the island of St. Kitts in the Carribean where they had been living. The second poem was the one that I wrote while my Mom was in the hospital. When I read the very end of my poem, where I said goodbye, I felt a kind of peace. My BIL, who is an ordained minister, officiated at the service. My Dad has already asked BIL to do the same when he dies.

Afterwards, we had a reception in the backyard of the house my Dad now lives in with just his two cats. There was a lot of food and soft drinks, talking, laughter, and, of course, tears. After that was over, all of my family member except my Dad went to a local restaurant to continue talking with more food and drinks. When everything was over, BF and I went to our hotel and crashed in bed.

That was the first real bed I'd slept in for the last 3 weeks.

I ended up bringing home 5 plastic totes full of stuff that had been my Mom's. Two and a half have fabric in them. We found fabric everywhere! I've also brought home 3 quilts that my Grandmother had started and my Mom had planned on finishing. That's now my job. One half of a tote has clothes of my Mom's that I will now wear. I also brought home a stack of quilting books. The rest is odd stuff that I couldn't do without. Of my sisters and I, I had the least amount of will power and my home has the least amount of storage space. I'll figure something out.

My younger sister and I had been tangling over who was going to keep the one completed quilt my Mom had made. I finally decided to let my sister have it, as long as she knew that I would keep the "t-shirt quilt" I am planning to make. As a cancer survivor, my Mom was active in Relay for Life.

Thank you all for listening to my rambling. I have so appreciated all your prayers, your words of comfort, and your thoughts. Just knowing that I had all of you to fall back on has helped me.

I love you all.

Pam in Vegas

Musical_Starling
October 27th, 2012, 03:26 AM
It really sounds like your Mom had a beautiful ceremony and her life was well celebrated :) Glad to hear you arrived home safe!

bkthomas
October 27th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Hugs and Love Pam!

auntiemern
October 27th, 2012, 03:44 AM
It must all be so overwhelming still. Sounds like she had a wonderful service. Still have you in my prayers, cuz you are still going to need them. Rest and give your self some time.

shannonsaulter
October 27th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Glad your travel was safe..sounds like lots of love was felt at the a service...

Monique
October 27th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Pam, glad you are home, safe and sound. Now you can relax and get some rest. Thinking of you.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 27th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Glad to hear from you. I'm sure you are exhausted, but hopefully at peace and know your mom is also.

aliaslaceygreen
October 27th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Oh, Pam.... I am glad that it seems everyone has found a certain amount of closure....I am sure that many more tears will be shed as you work on the Tshirt quilt...but let them flow... Hugs!

MRoy
October 27th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Pam, your mom's service sounds beautiful. You have lots of wonderful memories of her. You'll continue to be in my prayers.

Bubby
October 27th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Pam, It sounds like the servie for your Mom was very special. I'm glad you had a safe trip home. Hugs, Barb

EsGrandma
October 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Pam, Glad that you are home and are getting some good rest - will continue to keep you in my prayers. Lind

Sandy Navas
October 27th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Oh, Pam. You know, that calm when 'saying good-bye' is your first step to healing. I hope you are able to visit with your Dad as often as needed to reassure him that 'he's not alone'. Hugs again - this has probably been the most difficult thing you have ever done. Your Mom is smiling on you though . . .

meemeecyn
October 27th, 2012, 12:01 PM
She would be so proud of you, Pam. Working on her UFO's will give you such comfort. Hugs to you.....
Cynthia

lilmouse
October 27th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Will continue to hold you in prayer.....glad you made it home safe and will continue to pray for you...and missed you while you were gone!

nurrsey
October 27th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Pam....finishing those quilts will be both difficult and a joy for you.

bakermom
October 27th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Glad you made it back safe. I know these last few weeks were tough.

pcbatiks
October 27th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Sounds like a beautiful ceremony to celebrate your Mom's life.........and how comforting to feel that sense of peace.

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ. Phillippians 4:7

BellasQuilts
October 27th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Pam, it sounds like it was a wonderful service. It heals the grieving heart to laugh and share stories of the one that is absent. How wonderful for your mom to have people who loved her so to gather and laugh and cry and rejoice in her having been here on earth. I hope I have that when it is my time. Now you are to carry on the quilting tradition, finish those quilts of your grandma's, etc. I am sure you will get great comfort working on them. Blessings to you and your family. We are glad to have you back with us.

Klasien
October 27th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Glad you are home safe!

Now get some rest, try to sleep and when ever you're ready pick up those quilts, you will have joy and laughter while finishing those, but they will come out treasures and you will smile when they are done!

Hang in there and be strong, we are all thinking of you!!!

Jess1377
October 28th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Sounds like it was a beautiful service and heart warming reception. Thanks for sharing all this with us, our hearts and prayers are still with you. Take care of you and keep in touch with your Dad :)

bopeep
October 28th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Oh my Dear Pam.........you have been in my Prayers.......sounds like it was a nice service......I am Thankful you made it home safe....I Pray now you can get some rest..........enjoy looking at the things you brought home with you.....
HUGS & PRAYERS
bopeep

janluna
October 30th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Pam, you, your Dad and your sister, are all still in our prayers. How is Dad doing? Is your Sister close by for him? Just wanted you to know, I'm here if you need me. Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

phoots
October 31st, 2012, 02:01 AM
Jan, I spoke to my Dad today. He's doing fine because he has the two cats. I never saw my Dad as a cat person until I lost my Mom. But I saw that he truely loves those cats! My younger sister lives nearby; they both live in a small town in AZ. My older sister lives in SoCal. I still have your phone number! Thank you!

Pam in Vegas