PDA

View Full Version : 99.8% there!

Jean Sewing Machine
October 25th, 2012, 01:36 PM
My show that I have been costuming is opening tomorrow night. It is the show "Sweeney Todd" by Steven Sondheim. If you have read any of my posts over the past few weeks, you know what a challenge this has been, because on October 7, the original director got mad at the board of the theatre group and walked off the stage and out the door. Took his concepts, plans, staging ideas with him, and threatened to sue if they were used. So in less than three weeks, we had to find a new director, change the staging, costumes, approach, special effects, and get it ready to go by Oct. 26.

I had worked on costumes for about 5 weeks, and had some spectacular stuff done, fitted and ready to roll. Then the concept changed with the new director coming on. I began my journey to try to complete the new direction in costuming on Thursday, Oct. 11, when the new guy finally had a chance to sit down with me and describe how he envisioned each character. There are about 30 people in this cast, some are cast as double characters.

Since I'm not one to go back on my commitment, I forged ahead. The last two weeks have been the most painful, tiring weeks I've had in a LOOOOOONNNNNG time! I was in tears from exhaustion and frustration more than once! Since last Friday, I've built over 20 of the costumes. One of the "helpers" (who I was supposed to have plenty of) made a dress that was fit for Godzilla, it was so ugly and poorly made and way too huge for the actress that we will just have to pitch it. Another that was made by a helper had to be altered 3 times to get it to fit right (by me, of course). My current active helper was in another show during the last two weeks, and the stuff she promised has yet to materialize. Hey, sweetie, the show starts tomorrow! Get on it, even though you are tired, so am I!

So I have one pair of pants to hem, 2 gowns to modify and a blouse and jacket that need velcro, and then I think I'm done. The undone stuff is undone by those who promised and haven't come through yet, but this chick is signing off!

I got to sit and see the whole show last night with costumes, props. lights, sound, orchestra all put together. And when it was all over I just burst into tears, it was so well done by the actors and actresses, such a touching but gorry story! But real emotion came through and the story is well told. I walked into the green room in tears, and they all looked at me like "What's wrong?" Nothing was wrong, it was so beautiful, and all the effort did pay off! My tears were from the emotional release of getting it accomplished, and really enjoying the result. It isn't perfect, it isn't my finest work, but it got accomplished in 2 weeks, and NOW I'M GOING TO TAKE A NAP!

And learn to say no the next time I'm asked--but, who am I kidding, "I'm just the girl who can't say No"!

toggpine
October 25th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Jean, I'm glad you are almost done! This has been really hard on you. Next time they ask, tell them you'll have to get back to them. Then come and tell us, and we'll remind you to check out your posts about Sweeney Todd. That should fix it right there!

Get some rest sweetie! You deserve it!

I hope I can channel some of your costuming mojo. I have a red dinosaur to complete by Wednesday.

Hugs, Cathy

Divine Daisy
October 25th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Well done Jean, knew you could do it! now rest and quilt yourself back to full strength.

chy
October 25th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Great pull through JSM,

I started reading and started to feel your pain. I would have felt like walking right behind that no-good director. I can't believe he wouldn’t let them use the same costumes even if you could have tweaked them a little, what a jerk. I can see plot, concept and writing, but not the costumes. I’m sure he had some idea you were almost if not completely finished. I'm sure he burned more than a few bridges so good luck trying to find someone to use him again.

Heading says it all GREAT PULL THROUGH, now take that well deserved Nap.

pcbatiks
October 25th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Jean, It sounds like you need a 2 week nap! Glad you enjoyed the show...........I'm sure it was a relief to see the end result!

New York Sue
October 25th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I knew you'd finish! Now, sit back tomorrow night and ENJOY the show. WOOHOO!

auntiemern
October 25th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Oh my dear Jean. There was never a doubt that you get it finished. I can totally understand the tears. After all the stress, an agony you put into everything, it just had to come out. Bless your overly tired soul. Take a few days to recoup before you jump in to anything. And finally, it really is ok to say no sometimes. ((((((Jean)))))

GrammaBabs
October 25th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Jean,,,, i know your type.... i admire you and all you've done.... the biggest problem is that most likely no one but YOU REALLY knows the grief and hard work that you've been thru.... each is always focused on "themselves" and their hardships,,,and the people that don't pick up a needle ever have NO IDEA just how much work this really is.... Well,,,,I DO.... and want you to know i'm proud of you for following thru....is this a "well paying job"?.... (of course it's not when you have to "re do" everything".... but please don't tell me this is all Gratis!!!
If your coming up on retirement,, you will now get to pick and choose the things you love to do and which things you will get paid to do...I for one will live on Cheerios before i will get sucked into the type of things i did over my "past life"...LOL
It's great looking back, but looking forward,,, you don't see many going the distance that way anymore.... at least not around here...So KUDOS to you dear woman.... going forward make it "All about Jean"... !!!! you so deserve it!!! hugs Babs

K. McEuen
October 25th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Nap? Who are you trying to kid? We know you. You'll be back at that longarm as soon as humanly possible. I'm sure you've been suffering withdrawls while working on the costumes. Glad you are almost finished.

Blondie
October 25th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Ah Jeanie Beanie, how I envy your ability to make alterations, costumes - And how I understand the "I;m just the girl who can't say No!" . . . But most of all, I do admire your perserverance and while you may not think so, your patience. God bless. You're tops.

lilmouse
October 25th, 2012, 03:56 PM
A pat on the back for you Jean, I am sure you are beat...both physically and mentally....rest and relax, you know what is best for you...we are so proud of you for seeing it through when many of us would have just thrown in the towel and said "Enough"! I am very proud to call you friend!

CrazyMtnLady
October 25th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Congrats. But somehow Jean, after getting to know you on here...I just can't hear you saying NO the next time around.

nurrsey
October 25th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I bet a JRR quilt will make you feel all better!!!!:D

Panda
October 25th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I am so happy that you are almost done. And I am glad you enjoyed the show so much. I still can't believe that you didn't get an award when you did the show "The Producers" a few Years ago, when it was getting so many awards. I too would have been so discouraged. I hope this time you get recognition for all your hard work and long hours, especially that you had to deal with the changes. And besides whenever someone does volunteer work they should get recognition. The magnitude of this volunteer work, you should get a major award. You are a SUPER WOMAN!!!

Kathy

HandsOffItsMine
October 25th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Bravo Dear Friend of the Theatre! Knew that you would get your part done!! Wish you had a video recorder with you so I could have enjoyed the play with you. Hope you took photos of the costumes, so want to see those at least!! :)

We can advise you a hundred times "NO JEAN! RUN THE OTHER WAY!!" But I have a feeling it will fall on deaf ears. lol

Go take a nap, then relax with kitty and a nice glass of wine...

Jean Sewing Machine
October 25th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks, friends! Yes, in the five days between the old director leaving and the new one getting his feet wet, I did make a JRR quilt, it's on the bed and brings me inner peace when I get to snuggle with kitty to take a little break between costuming sessions! This was so hard, age is taking its toll on this old girl. Can't quite push like I could a few years back.

RiverMomm
October 25th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I bet a JRR quilt will make you feel all better!!!!:D

Nap? Who are you trying to kid? We know you. You'll be back at that longarm as soon as humanly possible. I'm sure you've been suffering withdrawls while working on the costumes. Glad you are almost finished.

LOL, I was thinking the same things. No, Jean won't take a nap, she will start on a JRR quilt! We are waiting for the pictures of your next quilt.

Musical_Starling
October 25th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Yay! There was never a doubt in my mind that you would get it all finished :) You're a sewing MACHINE after all :icon_giggle: But now, a new lesson. Repeat after me: "No". See? Easy! lol

Klasien
October 25th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Great Job Jean!!!!!!!

My daughter Roselique is a HUGE fan of Johnny Depp and her almost favorite movie is Sweeny Todd, so she would LOVE to see some pictueres!!
Hope you have made a couple, she is all into costume drama movies, and if "her" Johnny is in it she is AHHHHHHH and OHHHHHH the whole time, her whole room is Mr. Depp every wall his picture, and Sweeny Todd cd, dvd, she loves it!

You take a rest now, a long nap, a glass of wine, get your feet up....................and BACK TO QUILTING!!!!

((((HUGS))))

Swedish leo
October 25th, 2012, 06:25 PM
WELL DONE!!! You rest girl and get some new strenght. We will all be here waiting for you! Hugs Annika

aliaslaceygreen
October 25th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Good for you Jean... seeing the light at the end of the tunnel has to be so liberating! Will you be able to post photos of the costuming??