PDA

View Full Version : And the total is....

auntiemern
October 21st, 2012, 02:05 PM
As many of you know I had the craft fair this week end. Let me preface this by saying, I will NEVER do the show down there again, for the very reason I stopped doing it 4 yrs ago. I managed to squeak out a whopping $105 for the weekend, $24 of which will go to my GD for the stockings she stuffed. I told her the ones she stuffed I would give her the $ for. The reason I stopped doing it before, was that they allowed any vendor, to sell their wares. It was my understanding that the entire tent area would be limited to hand crafters only, which was clearly stated on the flyer. Not only did they allow commercial and manufactured items to sell, one of the vendors, that had almost half of the tent area, right in the middle was selling everything from from $1.00 sunglasses, hats, poly resin figurines, to knives and swords that were all cheap imports that you buy in bulk and get for next to nothing, and can make huge profit margin on. I heard one of them say they paid $3 for some knife, and would sell it for $30. They had 31 bags, Mary Kay, Sentsy, and many other commercial vendors. My prices for that fair were less than I would sell anywhere else, and still did not sell much. Oh they would look at my purses, and say how cute they were, mention what a good price that was, and then walk away. Everyone admired my pumpkins, but very few buyers. Rhonda didn't do much better than me. Funny thing is the first thing she sold were the place mats, and table runner that I finished up for her. I actually made as much as I did at the fair with pre-show sales that I had sold to family and friends ahead of time. Ok, enough ranting about the fair. I know every one wanted to know how I did, so that is it. Will try to find a show that isn't sold out closer to home and try to sell there.

shannonsaulter
October 21st, 2012, 02:16 PM
That's wrong I hope you didn't have to pay for space. . It's done and now you know hope things go better finding something close to home..

pcbatiks
October 21st, 2012, 02:19 PM
Hi Marilyn, Sorry to hear the craft fair was so frustrating. I don't know why they put rules on a flyer if they aren't going to follow them! If I see booths with the cheap junk like you mentioned I just keep on walking. My dad took part in a craft show last year with a friend. He made table top size wooden crosses, storage chest and a few other things. He said he just broke even. Lots of people would oohhh and aahhh over the items but very few would buy! A lot of people had made things with team logo's on them and the rules said that was not allowed..........but they allowed it anyway! You had a lot of cute things......hope some of your snowmen found a good home. :)

MayinJerset
October 21st, 2012, 02:47 PM
Marilyn, Sorry the craft show was such a bummer. Friends and I did craft shows many years ago and like you sold more to family and friends. At the time none of us worked and the few dollars we made was good, mostly because we started with fabrics and supplies we already had or that others gave to us. Once we started buying more supplies our costs went up and the whole craft business ended. Best business we did was when our DH's took samples into their work places. May

Monique
October 21st, 2012, 02:51 PM
Sorry it did not work out. Which part of craft did they not understand? JEEZ!!

Lonna
October 21st, 2012, 02:55 PM
So sorry you did not do that well at your craft fair. I have often thought of doing something like that but just did not have the extra to spend on making enough to even bother setting up. I did try awhile back to set up a store on Zibbet selling jewerly never made a single sell. At one time had a store on Artfire selling aprons only sold one about two days before I closed up that shop. Wishing you good luck in the future though. I know several people around here that are doing really well selling bows at craft fairs and at the local flea markets.

HandsOffItsMine
October 21st, 2012, 02:59 PM
I definately would write to the craft fair organizers, state my complaint about the vendor with "Non-handcrafted item" and demand a refund of my space fee. Submit a copy of the flyer with the statement circled as well of if it's on the vendor paperwork.

Make up an Album under your profile here and also on FB, I'm sure some of us would love to do some Xmas shopping for the home or family/friends. :D

Maybe you won't have to hunt for another craft fair and you can sell from your lounger in the livingroom. hehe!!

auntiemern
October 21st, 2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks Ruby, my DF. I have so many things that I did not take pics of, but will try to get that done. Not so sure I would want to sell to the peeps on here, that are so amazingly talented. Would not want them to be disappointed with anything. Our wonderful Jean, has offered to let me share a space with her at her church bazaar the first of Dec. Right now I am just so exhausted and fibro is screaming, that I can barely funtion, lol. Will definately make an album of some of my stuff and post it this week sometime. Hugs to you and Don. I know I can count on you to have my back.

Winniesfriend
October 21st, 2012, 06:15 PM
What a shame for you, you must be very disappointed, how nice of Jean to offer some space so can sell some of your sf to more appreciative people, I hop you take her up on her offer and make lots of money.

Bubby
October 21st, 2012, 06:59 PM
It's so disappointing when you worked so hard on your items. I wouldn't participate in that fair again!! That's absurd how they let everyone sell whatever they had...! Sorry about this!

auntiemern
October 21st, 2012, 07:54 PM
Gary was practically in tears for me, cuz he knows how hard I worked on everything. I am persistent tho, and will get it all sold bfore Christmas :)

It's so disappointing when you worked so hard on your items. I wouldn't participate in that fair again!! That's absurd how they let everyone sell whatever they had...! Sorry about this!

aliaslaceygreen
October 21st, 2012, 10:38 PM
Sorry to hear that! I know that when I go to do them, with photography, it's even worse in some ways! People "LOVE" my work...but that is as far as they go...they wander off and buy a bunch of that stuff that you mentioned, that somehow ends up in these shows...

Musical_Starling
October 21st, 2012, 10:48 PM
I think if I had been someone attending the craft fair (as a buyer, not a seller) I would have been disgusted by all of these "major" vendors. If I'm going to shop at a craft fair, I'm looking for something made by people, not robots! I hope that both you and Jean sell out at her fair :)

bopeep
October 21st, 2012, 10:49 PM
Sorry it didn't work out for you .....after all that work you did........it is not right for them to say one thing then do another...that is just wrong !!!!!
bopeep

janluna
October 21st, 2012, 11:50 PM
Post your creations for us to see. I have grandkids to buy things to stuff their stocking with. I also have a SS to buy for. I'm sure we would appreciate all your hard work! It will be ok, Sweetie. Let us see what's ya got!?! LOL Marilyn, my love, it will work out. Hugs, Jan L.

Madeforyouinma11
October 22nd, 2012, 12:21 AM
Oh Marilyn, I am so sorry that it didn't go as well as you expected. I bought a table for an arts festival two weeks from today and I'm getting really nervous. There are 60 of us vendors but there are so many different things. Only a few of the vendors have some of what I will have so I'm hoping that will give me a little bit of an edge. I know how hard you worked to get ready for this fair because I am now doing the same. It's disappointing to work so hard making quality items and then not to profit from it. I hope you find a place to sell them where more appreciative people will buy them. That was very sweet of Jean to offer that you go with her. I too, think you should go with her. Make sure you post some pics of your things. I'm hoping to make up an album by the end of the week with my things.

lilmouse
October 22nd, 2012, 12:37 AM
I am so sorry to hear this...what a shame...I agree that you should request your fee back as they allowed commercial vendors in there with garbage when it clearly stated hand crafted items only!

dizzyLiz
October 22nd, 2012, 12:56 AM
Please post picks...I KNOW I want to buy some of the snowmen......they are adorable

New York Sue
October 22nd, 2012, 01:10 AM
Heart sick over this, Marilyn. I would be SO hurt, if this happened to me...
WRONG venue, for sure.
We're fighting a battle with 'disposable'.
My co-worker last night was aghast (on a SLOW night) at me hand-binding 8 placemats for my dining room table. She just buys placemats from the Dollar Store, for her 'Spode' and throws them away!
In other words, I'm a ridiculous idiot...
I'm sure I've been called worse. Someone is bound to come along, and appreciate. No?

Jess1377
October 22nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Aww, Marilyn, what a huge disappointment. I agree with others above, write that letter to the craft fair organizers explaining everything. If anything to let them know of how absurd it is for them to promote a craft fair and then to have people sell junk and commercial items. If you do write them let us know their response if you can cause I am curious to hear their petty reply. Hopefully they could possibly refund your booth cost if you had to pay for that.

mommadeb
October 22nd, 2012, 10:41 AM
So sorry to hear about that. I know how you feel though. I used to do craft shows when I did beadwork and a person just can't compete with $1 items when you have quality crafted things. I hope you find another show and do even better!

institches64
October 22nd, 2012, 06:11 PM
I have been in your shoes before - you put so much of your time and love into every hand crafted item, only to see booths of mass merchandise! We had a craft fair that we stopped going to because one year I counted 20 out of 32 vendors that were not crafted items. They were booths of Avon, Scentsy, etc. that you could buy anywhere. Now I ask before I sign up. If we go to one that has typical vendors, I am going to request our table money back! I have a friend that posts her new items on her FB page and she gets many orders from that one spot! Good luck to you!

cyndiofthevortex
October 22nd, 2012, 07:22 PM
Your stuff is so cute, Marilyn. I'm so sorry you had a bad experience.

quiltingtrish
October 22nd, 2012, 08:38 PM
So sorry to hear of your bad experience. I, too, would request my money back after circling what the rules were.
I am kind of nervous myself. Last year a friend and I went to sell at a craft fair and neither one of us sold a thing. $15. in the hole for both of us. I set up at anothers friends street fair a few weeks ago, didn't sell a thing. Nov. 3rd I am going back to where I was a year ago and will try one more time. If nothing sells this time I will have lots of gifts for Christmas. I even had a variety - table runners (2 different kinds), pillowcases, childs throw blankie, tissue holders, and even quilts. I thought last year was lousy cause of the economy. There are some signs it is coming back up a little, so we will see.
Good luck on your next show. I'd send ALL my good vibes to you, but I need to keep a few of them myself. haha.
Hugs,

Rhonda D. Matzker
October 22nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
Marilyn:

Do you want me to pay you for the time that you put in to finishing my place and table runner for me? It won't be a problem. I don't want you to feel that you did all of that work for nothing, nor do I want anyone to think that I don't appreciate what you did? I made $45 on them and I will send you $22.50 for half of the profit if it will make you feel better.

auntiemern
October 22nd, 2012, 11:26 PM
WTH!!!!!? I don't want any $ for helping you out. D*mn, I did it cuz I love you and to help you out. Are you seriously thinking I am one of your other sisters or what? You got me so pis*ed off I'm shaking, for even asking such a stupid a$$ ?. And don't call cuz I am to mad to talk to you right now.
Marilyn:

Do you want me to pay you for the time that you put in to finishing my place and table runner for me? It won't be a problem. I don't want you to feel that you did all of that work for nothing, nor do I want anyone to think that I don't appreciate what you did? I made $45 on them and I will send you $22.50 for half of the profit if it will make you feel better.

HandsOffItsMine
October 22nd, 2012, 11:39 PM
Yeah, knew that wasn't going to go over well...

Rhonda D. Matzker
October 23rd, 2012, 12:08 AM
I didn't mean anything by it. I feel bad that things went so badly down here after I talked you into doing. You totally read that the wrong way. Don't worry, I won't call you again until you call me. I wish you all the best with your fair at Rockwood Summit and any others you decide to do between now and Christmas. You are very talented and will do well up there.

I love you despite what you think.

HandsOffItsMine
October 23rd, 2012, 12:41 AM
Come on girls, don't let something like this get out of hand. It's just a mix up of wording/feelings. (((Marilyn/Rhonda))) Group hug!

Monique
October 23rd, 2012, 07:35 AM
I agree with Ruby.

Blondie
October 24th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Marilyn
I am so sorry to read this. I did fairs/shows for quite a while some years ago and finally gave up for the same reason as you state here. Too many imports. Those of us who did do handwork - I personally did a lot of hand painting, some stitching and etc. - found that folks were buying up cotton candy and dollar items that could be found at dollar stores. I never could figure that one out.
The last one I did sell out before noon, pat myself on the back, but it was NOT a juried show. It was filled with gee gaws of the cheapest kind. After paying for space I made a modest profit.
If I were going to do one in the future, I would certainly not do one that is NOT juried. That is to say, the committee must agree that all items are handmade.
Also, it may be a good idea to keep a little brag book in your purse and when you are out and about go into boutiques and show them your wares. That is how I got my last order a few months back. Sometimes you need to toot your own horn on the right place.
Your work is lovely, dear sister. I am just amazed that people will pay loads for mass produced stuff from China and then look down their nose at one of a kind, HAND MADE IN AMERICA goods. I made a little tag years ago that stated " proudly made in Rockingham County, NC, USA"