PDA

View Full Version : Blame it on the DOOR

Sandy Navas
October 20th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Ever walk into a room with some purpose in mind, only to completely forget what that purpose was? Turns out, doors themselves are to blame for these strange memory lapses.

Psychologists at the University of Notre Dame have discovered that passing through a doorway triggers what's known as an “event boundary” in the mind, separating one set of thoughts and memories from the next. Your brain files away the thoughts you had in the previous room and prepares a blank slate for the new locale.

It's not aging, it's the door!

Whew! Thank goodness for studies.

BellasQuilts
October 20th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Wow, and I thought it was because I was over 50! Whew, I am so relieved...wow!

Jean Sewing Machine
October 20th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Soo glad to know who to blame for forgetting what I went into the next room for!

candy
October 21st, 2012, 12:21 AM
So glad to know it is the door. I was beginning to think it was me!

lilmouse
October 21st, 2012, 01:12 AM
So funny, I do this all the time....just thought I had lost some brain cells somewhere!

Jess1377
October 21st, 2012, 01:37 AM
Oh, thank goodness its not just my brain cells giving up on me! Stupid door!!

MayinJerset
October 21st, 2012, 02:14 AM
I knew it wasn't my fault, glad to hear that someone pinpointed where to lay the blame. May in Jersey

ElaineP
October 21st, 2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks Sandy - just got the screwdriver out to remove the **** doors that are causing me so much trouble!!! I'll be back later to let you know if it works!!

Have a great Sunday

Elaine

Donna F
October 21st, 2012, 06:11 AM
Dang! I think I have A LOT of doors that lead to nowhere then.

Genny
October 21st, 2012, 08:39 AM
Ever walk into a room with some purpose in mind, only to completely forget what that purpose was?

Ahhh...every day! :lol:

grannyann
October 21st, 2012, 08:40 AM
Boy I just had an episode Wednesday that scared me.That door must have shut good .I had a few seconds that after going through a
building looking at crafts in differerent rooms heading out side I couldn't figure out which way I was supose to go.
Been there many time over the years so I don't know what happen.Been just fine since and it only lasted a very brief time. Strange feeling.

Winniesfriend
October 21st, 2012, 08:47 AM
What a relief, now all I have to do is remove all of the doors in the house.

Sandy Navas
October 21st, 2012, 11:13 AM
Never blame it on your age. Someone here mentioned being awaken late at night because her teen-aged daughter couldn't remember where she parked her car when she went to the mall/theater - or something like that.. I can't remember exactly, but I am getting older.

LynneLeavell
October 21st, 2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks Sandy for clearing that up. I'm relieved to know that it's not me as well. I guess I will need to just make a note of what I'm going into the other room for and then I won't forget. That is if I remember to take my note with me. Have a great day everyone.

New York Sue
October 21st, 2012, 04:27 PM
AHA!
So that explains it!

SuzyQue
October 21st, 2012, 06:04 PM
Our old home has so many doors in each room! Many a time, people forget how to get back out......adults and children, too. This new data can explain that confusion, I guess.

SuziC
October 21st, 2012, 07:34 PM
WOW now i feel better.....i thought it was old age!!

MRoy
October 21st, 2012, 10:06 PM
Whew! I'm glad to know it's the doors and not me after all!

bopeep
October 21st, 2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks for clearing that up........all this time I thought it was me.........
bopeep

janluna
October 22nd, 2012, 02:38 AM
GrannyAnn, It's ok, I was driving and wondered where I was. It scared me so bad, I went and got checked for Alzheimer's. At the time, things were in an uproar, and I told the Doc what was going on. He said, when you have something on your mind, like a problem, even a minor one. your brain is subconsciously working on it until it solves the problem. We go into an automatic mode. We can drive, do dishes, forget to brush our teeth.... any number of things. He sent me home. Took a month to get the results back, I hadn't told a soul, that;s how scared I was. The Doc called and said you don't have any spacial changes, you can tell time, you passed all your exams. What??....He couldn't tell me that the same day? Doctors. Anyway, if you were in a craft/fabric store....Need I say more,....You were building a quilt!.... Feel better? LOL You're ok. Hugs, Jan L.

Patrice
October 22nd, 2012, 07:32 AM
ah so happy to hear this

grannyann
October 22nd, 2012, 08:30 AM
janula, Thanks for your comment.I was worried that I was loosing it. I think I will call my doctor and check it out anyway.
There has been some things with my grown son and a lot of other things on my mind as well.So maybe I will get good news like you.

aliaslaceygreen
October 22nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Oh I LIKE this theory!!!! ( I used to tell my co-workers WHAT I was headed into the backroom to get. Inevitably, by the time I made it back there, interrupted by so many other people, I would have to page out to the sales floor to find out WHY I was in the stock room!)

mommadeb
October 22nd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks for letting us know. I'm so glad that millions were probably spent on that study, just to ease our minds. LOL