PDA

View Full Version : Counting my Blessings / a Gentle Pleading

Meli
October 20th, 2012, 02:30 AM
A week ago Thursday I had a mammogram. Apparently it had been 3 years since my last one. I knew it had been awhile, but I hadn't realized it was that long. On Monday, they called to tell me I needed to go in for a follow-up since there were some concerns in my right breast. On Thursday of this week, I had another mammogram and an ultrasound. There were three areas that showed up black on the screen. After several days of stress and worry, I saw those spots and reached a level of calm resolution, and I knew I could handle whatever challenges God was sending me. And perhaps that's what I needed to learn, or maybe this week was just a reminder to trust Him more. After reviewing the images, the doctor came in to tell me the dark spots are clusters of fluid filled cysts and are completely benign. I was relieved and grateful.

I was told about 20 years ago that I'm at high risk for breast cancer, thanks to an endocrine disorder. And I've spent the summer worrying and praying for my MIL, who is currently fighting this insidious disease. So I have no excuse for not having gone sooner.

Dear, Gifted, Friendly, Loving Friends, if you haven't had a mammogram lately, I urge you to do so, if for no other reason than the peace of mind that comes from knowing you are healthy.

My love to you all,

Meli

HandsOffItsMine
October 20th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Dearest Meli,

I'm so glad to hear that all is well after your second follow up. Yes I agree with you that we all need to make sure we get our regular mammogram and pap smears. Most cancers are curable if caught early.

If not for my regular pap smears my uteran cancer would not have been caught and I might not have been a 15 year survivor.

Please listen to Meli's plea... :)

Blessings and Huggers, Ruby

shannonsaulter
October 20th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Think I will go get my first mammogram..will be 40 next year...
Melon..thank you for great advise!
So glad things have worked out for you

Musical_Starling
October 20th, 2012, 03:29 AM
I'm so glad you've been given the all clear Meli :) I'm too young for the "boob squishers" lol I think they start screening at 40 or 50 here, so I have quite a few years to go! But I do self exams and get regular paps :) DH's maternal grandmother died of some type of "lady" cancer (cervical I think?) so MIL is a HUGE pusher for regular testing lol And she's also had multiple biopsies (back in the days where scans weren't so advanced) and I think she'll have a note in my birthday card when the day comes that I need my first mammogram lol On an interesting note though, I was reading a few days ago that they're hoping to put out a new bra either next year or in 2014 that can detect breast cancer :) It's already developed, and it's pretty accurate from what I remember. Maybe something like 90-ish percent? Amazing how far we've come with research, I just can't wait to hear that a cure is found!

Ladies, don't die of embarassment! Have all of your checks, and make sure that hubbies are getting theirs as well!!

Divine Daisy
October 20th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Don't be a boobie.......have a mamogram!

nurrsey
October 20th, 2012, 08:07 AM
God bless you Meli.....it's wonderful your 2nd test was ok!!

Winniesfriend
October 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Yes I need a kick up the butt I so need to organise one.

lilmouse
October 20th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I get mine every year and I a few years ago went through what Meli just did! And it is frightening......mine was about the same thing and benign....I get my check up the first of the year - every year!

bobw103
October 20th, 2012, 11:06 AM
My very aggressive breast cancer was caught early because of my annual mamo-7 years ago!

bobw103
October 20th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Oh and I neglected to add...thank goodness for your good news Meli!

Sandy Navas
October 20th, 2012, 12:16 PM
A huge cyst found on a mammo back in 1994 was aspirated and I was absolutely shocked - the fluid removed was bright green, resembling Lime Koo-Aid concentrated. YUCK!

Prayers for all those who have not been so 'lucky'.

cassie a newbiequilter
October 20th, 2012, 04:03 PM
mine also turned out to be a benign cyst, was so relieved as my mum had breast cancer

bopeep
October 20th, 2012, 04:07 PM
GOD IS GOOD.....ALL THE TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank God for your good news.......
bopeep

sewbizzy
October 20th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Meli, praise God for your good news about your mammogram...I get one every year and feel so blessed that it has always been good news, too....

alliek
October 20th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Good News Meli! The waiting game is always a nail biter but you put yourself in God's hands which is the only way to go. I'm a 17 year survivor of BC and it was found by a mamagrophy. So ladies, no excuses, being squeezed is a GOOD THING. God Bless.

auntiemern
October 21st, 2012, 01:43 AM
So glad that it turned out to be nothing serious. Yep, I do need to go get one. May just call doc Mon, so he can set it up for me.

HandsOffItsMine
October 21st, 2012, 02:11 AM
Glad you ladies are all calling on Monday - I'm going to following up on you guys. Don't forget it for Mams and Paps!

Bubby
October 21st, 2012, 06:44 AM
Meli, I'm so relieved you got a good report! I have my mammograms religiously and try to schedule them on my daughter's birthday every year so I don't forget. Hugs, Barb

Jess1377
October 21st, 2012, 05:36 PM
I bet that was such a huge relief for you Meli! I am so happy for you!! :)

SuzyQue
October 21st, 2012, 05:37 PM
Praise the Lord for such wonderful news!

Monique
October 22nd, 2012, 07:25 AM
Meli, that is great news. Because I had or have cysts, routine mammograms have been the norm for me. Thankfully that was how mine was discovered. As a spot. Yes, early detection is the key.