PDA

View Full Version : LEG CRAMPS - How I solved my problem!

Sandy Navas
October 16th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Several of my friends have been complaining about leg and foot cramps keeping them from getting a good night's rest. I have to share that since I have followed this treatment (suggested by my chiropractor - and concurred by my personal physician), I haven't had my restless-leg-syndrome (RLS) or foot and leg cramps. I also had been getting cramps in my hands whenever I was driving or doing fine work (picture needle and thread). Those have stopped completely.

Here's what he suggested: Go to GNC and buy a large bottle of Mega Multi-MINERALS. Around $10 for a bottle that will last a couple months. Take one tablet a day. Within a week all my symptoms had completely stopped.

My RLS was so bad that I had been through all kinds of sleep studies, was sleeping weird hours just to get enough rest, and Al decided it wasn't too bad to be close any more.

Try it - it sure can't hurt you.

Bubby
October 16th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I'm going to tey this for sure! Last week I got cramps in both legs at the same time..it was awful! Thanks, Sandy!

MayinJerset
October 16th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the advice as I have restless legs, sometime cramps and my hands feel like yours at times. Will stop by GNC today or tomorrow for Mega Mulit Minerals.

Last night they had me up around 3am so I cleaned the kitchen and dining room floors, ran the dishwasher, cleaned the top of the gas range and made myself a cup of low sugar hot chocolate. Some people wake up during the night to go to the bathroom or are hungry or thirsty, well I do wake up for those things but also do housework during those early am hours when I can't sleep. Afterwards I watch re runs of Law and Order on tv and fall asleep for the second part of my night's sleep. Such is reaching old age but glad I'm still here with minor health problems. May

lilmouse
October 16th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Sandy, would you check your bottle and see if it has iodine...I am allergic and store is on the other side of town!

denisecolli
October 16th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I also drink tonic water. It has quinine in it plus it's cheap and here in the uk our multi vits etc may not have the same vits and minerals as the USA

janluna
October 16th, 2012, 02:15 PM
The Doctor told my DH to try the tonic water too. I will also check out the minerals Does it have to be GNC?

bec
October 16th, 2012, 02:24 PM
It could also be that you have low ferritin levels (that has to do with proteins in the body that binds to and stores iron). I used to have RLS so bad that my arms and my legs would have that creepy-crawly feeling. I was a horrible feeling. I couldn't sleep and the only way to ease the discomfort was to get up and walk around. Fortunately, I found out during a blood work-up that I was very anemic so the doctor put me on a high dose of Ferrel Sequel iron supplement. Within a month or less my RLS had nearly disappeared. I did some research and found that iron deficiency has been linked to RLS. My ferritin levels were low which meant I didn't have a good store of iron. I don't think I process and store iron as I should and that is why I have so much problem with it.

I still have some RLS, but when symptoms flare up I start on a Ferrel Sequel pill a day and it helps a lot. I've tried the GNS mega minerals and it did help some, but not as much as the iron does. I'd advise getting a ferritin level test. You typically have to ask for it. I think it is different than the normal test for anemia.

For those of you with RLS, my heart goes out to you. I hope you can find what works for you.

janluna
October 16th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I found out that some blood pressure meds can cause cramping. Also, Sertaline or Zoloft type drugs can cause them. I was getting spasms in my arms, legs, feet, hands, just all over. And it was my meds doing it. Also being low on potassium can cause it. It feels weird getting them in my arms. That never happened before. The joys of seniorhood! LOL Hugs, Jan L.

EnumclawGramma
October 16th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Sandy, thanks for the suggestion. Would you be willing to post a pic of the bottle? I get SO confused in the vitamin section of any store....

sewbizzy
October 16th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Sandy, thanks for the suggestion...I am definitely going to try this...I also get the leg cramps during the night...

Sandy Navas
October 16th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Sandy, would you check your bottle and see if it has iodine...I am allergic and store is on the other side of town!

Yes, they do list 150 mg Iodine in the form of Kelp.

Sorry!!

Sandy Navas
October 16th, 2012, 04:17 PM
The Doctor told my DH to try the tonic water too. I will also check out the minerals Does it have to be GNC?

That's just what he told me - but I would think any multi-mineral supplement would be just as effective. Don't know why it would have to be GNC.

Sandy Navas
October 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Sandy, thanks for the suggestion. Would you be willing to post a pic of the bottle? I get SO confused in the vitamin section of any store....29969

Not the best picture - hope you can see with the reflection. And, it's MULTI MEGA Minerals - got the name flubbed above.

Jann
October 16th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Due to the meds I take I get cramp, it's so painful, especially when it wakes me in the night. My Consultant recommended tonic water. I take a glass or two each day and it works a treat for me. No gin though, again due to my meds, I've been advised not to drink alcohol!

Loonwatcher
October 16th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Wow! Thanks for the great advice. Gonna try that!

lilmouse
October 16th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks Sandy....all most all of the vitamins and mineral supplements have either iodine or shellfish...same difference....lately been craving salt so know I am low...normally use very little so have to be careful....I hive up from either one!

EnumclawGramma
October 16th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Thank you Sandy! I'm going to buy some. Sounds like just what the doctor ordered (literally!)

Musical_Starling
October 16th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Something that seems to help as well (but don't ask me how because I have NO clue) is a bar of soap at the foot of your bed. I know, I sound like a weirdo. But my grandparents swear by it, so I've been doing it for years, and I told the in-laws about it and now they swear by it! They slept in a bed one night a couple of years ago that didn't have soap in it and both woke up in the middle of the night with cramps. So now they even take an extra bar of soap to the hotel when they go lol Not sure if it would help for RLS, but it's worth a try? Oh, and Irish Spring soap seems to work the best. If nothing else it makes your sheets smell nice lol

Claire Hallman
October 16th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Something I had forgotten hearing, naproxin sodium [AKA Aleve] can cause muscle cramps.

MRoy
October 16th, 2012, 08:51 PM
This couldn't have come at a better time. I was walking the floor at 2 this morning trying to get bad leg and foot cramps to ease. I'll be trying this. Thanks Sandy!

Sandy Navas
October 16th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Something that seems to help as well (but don't ask me how because I have NO clue) is a bar of soap at the foot of your bed. I know, I sound like a weirdo. But my grandparents swear by it, so I've been doing it for years, and I told the in-laws about it and now they swear by it! They slept in a bed one night a couple of years ago that didn't have soap in it and both woke up in the middle of the night with cramps. So now they even take an extra bar of soap to the hotel when they go lol Not sure if it would help for RLS, but it's worth a try? Oh, and Irish Spring soap seems to work the best. If nothing else it makes your sheets smell nice lol

Velly, velly interesting. I'm going to put a bar of soap at the foot of the bed on Al's side tonight. Don't have Irish Spring though.

Really wonder what it is and how this was discovered?

Musical_Starling
October 16th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Velly, velly interesting. I'm going to put a bar of soap at the foot of the bed on Al's side tonight. Don't have Irish Spring though.

Really wonder what it is and how this was discovered?

I have no idea lol I remember a few years ago when I was doing a workterm for nursing school at a long term care facility that one of the girls came out to the workroom and said "Mrs. so-n-so must be getting dementia". So I said "Oh, really? She seems okay, why do you say that?" "I found a bar of soap in her bed when I was making it!" and I burst out laughing lol I said "No darling, she doesn't have dementia, she has leg cramps" and everyone looked at me like I was just as crazy as the little old lady lol

And I forgot to add when I posted, just put it on top of the mattress under the sheet so you don't kick it out of bed. The Giant keeps kicking it out of bed regardless, but this keeps it for an extra day or two at least lol

shannonsaulter
October 16th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I get them occasionaly and its usually solved by mpore water and a few bananas...I hate when a leg cramps wake me from a sound sleep..the worst..

Sandy Navas
October 17th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I was just telling Al about this and I wonder if LYE SOAP would work - since this evidently originated with our grandparents or before and that would have been the soap most available. Interesting.

ChristineB
October 17th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I used to get RLS a lot - someone told me it was caffeine related so I stopped having my afternoon tea. Not long after that, they disappeared! Now I only have 1 cup of coffee in the morning and that's it or my caffeine intake.

GuitarGramma
October 18th, 2012, 11:30 AM
A bar of soap has completely solved my nighttime leg cramps. My MIL is also thrilled with the cure. Cute story: She called DH to say it wasn't working any more, and he suggested she make sure the soap was still there. Sure enough, it was gone, probably gracing MIL's washing machine for a few loads. New bar of soap and her leg cramps disappeared again.

We were told that any kind of soap will work EXCEPT Dove, Dial or Ivory.

Before we heard about the soap, we heard that magnesium deficiency could cause nighttime leg cramps. Magnesium is a cheap supplement, and greatly reduced my leg cramps. The soap then eliminated them.

Sandy Navas
October 18th, 2012, 11:48 AM
You know, I'm still wondering why this works. Wonder if it is akin to buying warts and having them disappear? It's all in the 'faith'. Or, is there something we'll never understand?

GuitarGramma
October 18th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I wonder if magnesium might be an inherent ingredient in soap, thus putting the necessary mineral in close proximity to our calves. Stories like my mother-in-law's make me think it's more than psychosomatic. She didn't know the soap was gone.

janluna
October 18th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Who knows why, as long as it works! LOL I've never heard of the soap in bed trick. I'll have to try it. Thanks for the knowledge and entertainment! Hugs, Jan L.

Sandy Navas
October 18th, 2012, 09:17 PM
My investigative mind has to find out why: http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2012/07/22/why-does-soap-soothe-nighttime-leg-cramps/
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2005/12/07/soap-under-the/

Most leg cramp maladies can be associated with dehydration and depletion of potassium. Gator-ade has sodium chloride, which replenishes lost potassium, as well as rehydrates. Amazingly enough, most bar soaps also contain sodium chloride. During sleep, it is absorbed through the skin from the bar of soap.
================================================== ==============================================

http://www.stopslegcramps.com/images/AmishText10.jpg

http://www.stopslegcramps.com/images/5_Stars.jpg

http://www.stopslegcramps.com/images/bottle.jpg

http://www.stopslegcramps.com/images/FarmerSmall2.jpg

http://www.stopslegcramps.com/images/FarmerText11.jpg

http://www.stopslegcramps.com/images/FarmerText_lower2.jpg

This startlingly effective fast-acting organic and natural muscle remedy, for both
preventing leg cramps or stopping them once they start, was discovered by
the Amish while they were still in Europe and brought to this country sometime
in the 1880's. We find it curious that it has never before been made generally
available to leg cramp and charlie horse sufferers until now especially, considering
that this Amish remedy is the fastest acting relief for muscle cramps of any natural
product anywhere.

Ingredients:
A carefully balanced mixture of certified organic unfiltered raw apple cider vinegar,
juice from the ginger plant and just the right amount of all natural garlic juice in
special combination so as to achieve almost instant relief from leg, foot and hand
cramps. Salt and gluten free.

One bottle is usually enough for 2 to 3 months for most people.
(You only take it when you need it.)

MRoy
October 18th, 2012, 09:33 PM
"unfiltered raw apple cider vinegar,juice from the ginger plant and just the right amount of all natural garlic juice..."

I can understand why a bottle would last a good while. I'd have to be hurting to drink this concoction! :D

bopeep
October 18th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks for sharing.....I need to give this a try......
bopeep

Musical_Starling
October 18th, 2012, 10:59 PM
"unfiltered raw apple cider vinegar,juice from the ginger plant and just the right amount of all natural garlic juice..."

I can understand why a bottle would last a good while. I'd have to be hurting to drink this concoction! :D

I was thinking the same thing!! lol I'll stick with the soap, at least I don't have to taste it :icon_giggle:

quilter.martha
October 19th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I have tried the bar of soap trick for restless leg syndrome and it didn't work. Don't know what type of soap we used at the time though.