PDA

View Full Version : Epilogue to Today's Daily Deal

GuitarGramma
October 16th, 2012, 02:56 AM
A fun tangent to the Daily Deal today is that Bette Claire Graham was the mother of The Monkees Mike Nesmith! Hey, hey ...

auntiemern
October 16th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Wow!!! Interesting bit of trivia. Ya never know, that ? may turn up at trivia night.

Bubby
October 16th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Bette also was the inventor of White Out (pre-computer product for correcting typing errors. Came in a bottle like nail polish with the little brush).

Monique
October 16th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Hey hey we're the monkeys.

MayinJerset
October 16th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Oh, White Out saved the work day for me so many times when I was a secretary. May

Jean Sewing Machine
October 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I used a half a bottle just yesterday!

Sandy Navas
October 16th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I used a half a bottle just yesterday!

Jean, Jean, Jean - it isn't made to use on computer screens. No wonder you have trouble reading all the posts!!

Enjoy your day off. I'll be thinking of you as you crawl between all the Spandex, elastic, lace, and satin.

GuitarGramma
October 16th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Miss Graham -- who I assume became Mrs. Nesmith -- did us all a big favor inventing Liquid Paper. And she showed tremendous business acumen by selling her company before computers and word processors greatly reduced our need for it.

Truth be known, I actually still use it on a regular basis when I transpose guitar chords on sheet music. Somehow there's poetic justice in that; the musician's mother invented a product to help me with music!

K. McEuen
October 16th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Enjoy your day off. I'll be thinking of you as you crawl between all the Spandex, elastic, lace, and satin.

Sandy, you make it sound like Jean is hanging out with drag queens...

Jean Sewing Machine
October 16th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Jean, Jean, Jean - it isn't made to use on computer screens. No wonder you have trouble reading all the posts!!

Enjoy your day off. I'll be thinking of you as you crawl between all the Spandex, elastic, lace, and satin.Forget that, we threw that away when our first director walked, now it is bori g brown, drab sickly green, black to make the new director's vision come to life. This is just plain crazy as far as I'm concerned.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 16th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Sandy, you make it sound like Jean is hanging out with drag queens... jean had a lot more fun when she was hanging out with those guys (The Producers). They were a fun group. I peed on myself laughing everytime they came on stage, they were that crazy hilarious!

Jean Sewing Machine
October 16th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Miss Graham -- who I assume became Mrs. Nesmith -- did us all a big favor inventing Liquid Paper. And she showed tremendous business acumen by selling her company before computers and word processors greatly reduced our need for it.

Truth be known, I actually still use it on a regular basis when I transpose guitar chords on sheet music. Somehow there's poetic justice in that; the musician's mother invented a product to help me with music!we need to talk guitar some day, I've played for the past 50 years.

EnumclawGramma
October 16th, 2012, 03:00 PM
we need to talk guitar some day, I've played for the past 50 years.

Wow Jean! I wish we could post sound files on here as well as pictures. I would LOVE to hear you play. My DH and son have also played for years. Blues mostly for DH. My son is self taught and plays open mics locally. What style guitar do you play?

janluna
October 16th, 2012, 03:07 PM
My DH, Son #2, and I play guitar. I'm not to good like they are. And since I now have long nails, I haven't kept up with practicing. I play an acoustic silk and steel. I like finger picking. (:o)

Jean Sewing Machine
October 16th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I flatpick and finger pick,i'm basically a church musician, somewhat retired!

BellasQuilts
October 16th, 2012, 06:56 PM
29988 Like this?

sewmuchjan
October 16th, 2012, 07:11 PM
OH Megan!!!! LOL ROTFLOBO!!!!!!! TOOO CUTE!!!

GuitarGramma
October 17th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Oh My Goodness - That photo is too funny!

How fun to find so many guitar-playing WOMEN on M*QC. I play a 12 string, and I've been playing at church for 28 years now. My avatar is the Ibanez guitar I've had since I was 14. I finally had to retire it last year -- it just wouldn't hold its tuning for an hour.

There is nothing I love more than singing, but quilting has become a close second.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 17th, 2012, 10:12 AM
29988 Like this?

Where on earth did you find that picture? Hilarious!

Jean Sewing Machine
October 17th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Oh My Goodness - That photo is too funny!

How fun to find so many guitar-playing WOMEN on M*QC. I play a 12 string, and I've been playing at church for 28 years now. My avatar is the Ibanez guitar I've had since I was 14. I finally had to retire it last year -- it just wouldn't hold its tuning for an hour.

There is nothing I love more than singing, but quilting has become a close second.beautiul instrument! I have three, a Martin 12 string, a Takemine 6 string and an Alverez-Yairi 6 string. Sold my electric about 6 years ago. My brother is the collector, he has 18 guitars now. I still sing in the church choir but because of difficulties with leadership of the group, I no longer play guitar with them.

Sandy Navas
October 17th, 2012, 10:36 AM
29988 Like this?

I have sent that picture to my sister-in-law several times. It looks EXACTLY like her and I can just picture her doing this - needless to say, I won't climb into a car if I know she's going to be driving.

** Three of the DGDs play guitar - one is continuing and has been playing for 8 years now. One recently stopped lessons and went back to the piano, and another stopped lessons to take up the drums. Now if we can get a couple of horn players in there, a singer or two.

GuitarGramma
October 18th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Those sound like beautiful guitars. I upgraded to a Taylor 12-string; its a great guitar, but that Ibanez had such a full voice that I miss it.

About the time I bought my Taylor, I found this hilarious video that seemed to have BOTH my guitars in it. If you have four minutes to have a smile, enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

BTW I understand how difficult church music can get. It takes a strong personality to participate in music ministry. And, sadly, strong personalities can conflict even at church. For the last three years, my hubby (playing electric bass) and I have been a duo at church. We work really well together, so there have been none of the usual "musician" problems. Praise God for that!