PDA

View Full Version : Another Monday

Blondie
October 15th, 2012, 06:06 AM

Happy Monday folksies,

It is going to be a rainy day here; I believe that front is crossing over from the midwest to us. While waiting on it to arrive, I keep hearing the acorns fall. Our yard is a sea of acorns this year. Big, huge ones! No shortage for the squirrels.

Yesterday my middle son came to visit with his GF and two of her cousins. It was so good to see him. His hair has gotten so very long, and for a guy, it is very pretty. I sure miss my tender boy. Josh is a good egg, the kid that was always a worry and heart ache as a child, not for behavior - but for health issues and for being such a tender hearted guy. Always went for the underdog, not always a good thing. Too nice for his own good.

I have a few projects ready to start the hand quilting on and some table runners that are needing the binding sewn down. After I finish a few more projects, I will have my hands full for the quiet hand stitching time. Like many of you, I have several tops completed, just need to get them quilted. A few are too big for me to quilt by hand without a frame. I need to price long arm quilting prices. I cannot imagine trying to quilt the king size top in my machine, considering I can't even meander decently and don't really care to spend my time perfectly that for more frustration. hehe

Have a wonderful day kiddos. Smile.

quilter.martha
October 15th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Morning Blondie. I have a tenderhearted son as well (and he has LONG hair). Gotta love them!

Well, I am resuming my life this morning. Back to teaching tax school this morning. I think I feel up to it. Yesterday I felt almost normal in the afternoon and actually did some creating in my sewing room. Ohhh, it felt so good to feel better! I managed to get my heart blocks made up for Luke's quilt and figured out how to applique on my new machine. It does a wonderful job (now i just need to get better at it).

Blessings to all of you out there!

Bubby
October 15th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Good Morning,

DH is back to work today after 9 days off and he's not real excited about going back! Today I will be on my own with the painting at the old house. I will take Miss Molly with me for company.

We are expecting a few rainy days, which is fine with us as long as the storms pass us by. This is such a wonderful time of year and our fall color should be at it peak next weekend.

Martha, it's good to hear you feel well again!

I should hear from my LAQer this week and be able to pick up my quilts. Can't wait!

I have to run and get DH out the door to work....will post more later. Hugs, Barb

MRoy
October 15th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Good morning! I also have a tender-hearted son. Sometimes he gets taken advantage of because of it, but I'd rather he be soft-hearted than hard-hearted.

Went to a flea-market yesterday...only bought a bag of popcorn but enjoyed the browsing. Had a great lunch with DH at a new restaurant, then took the country roads back home and enjoyed the fall colors. We drove through the Daniel Boone National Forest and the colors of the trees were beautiful.

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's back to work I go! Wishing everyone a great Monday!

Lonna
October 15th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Good Morning All,

As Myrna it is back to work I go! Had a really nice day yesterday. Sue and myself road over to the Mall of Louisiana I had never been so it was something new for the both of us. Kind of had mixed feeling while I was there. One of wonder at all the wonderful shops then the feeling of being a country bumpkin as it has been so long since I have been to a nice mall. Made me wish I had a pocket full of money to buy some new clothes and not from Wal-mart. All though I was able to fill a life time dream, as silly as it seems I have always wanted a pair of boots. Never been able to find a pair with a shaft wide enough to go around these big old calfs. Well I may to old for boots but this fall and winter I now have boots to wear.

Well I guess I need to get ready for the day. Today I need to sweep out some units, then I can sit in my little office and watch the circus set up in the parking lot in front of us today. Who knows may even go to the circus either tonight or tomorrow that is if Wayne is up for it. I guess it will depend on how hot it is as I know in years past it was just way to hot under that tent to go.

Have a great day my friends.

Granny Judy
October 15th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Morning all!! Hugs to those sweet, tenderhearted Sons.. Mine was the same til he grew up and developed that "hard" exterior. Had a few bad experiences that left him dis-allusioned. Under it all, tho he is still that little boy who rescued the under dog and stray animals.

Our trees have turned and are turning, which makes for the loveliest color palette for fall. My favorite time of the year.. tho we had alot of wind and tons of rain off and on all week end. Loved heading out to the Orchard that is 17 miles north of us.. You can find it at Tanner's Orchard (http://www.tannersorchard.com/) Or head over to my blog for some photos I took.

I've got to get some housework done before I can get the sewing machine purring.. Been really lazy this week end!!

buckeyequilter
October 15th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Good morning....

Back to work for me too...but had a nice week-end.

On Saturday we went to Amish country. Browsed through the shops - picked up a few things. Got a couple of pieces of Christmas fabric. It was so busy over there that we didn't do much shopping - we'll go back over there during the week. Drove around the back roads looking at all the beautiful fall colors.

Have started working on my UFO's and need to get started on some Christmas stuff. I pulled out my Christmas fabric last night so I could take a look at it (I love Christmas fabric).

Prayers to Pam, Denis and all that need them. Have a wonderful day!

Jean Sewing Machine
October 15th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Morning everyone. I fell asleep early instead of sewing costumes last night, so when I woke up in the middle of the night I went to the costume dungeon and made three more skirts. Not anywhere near finished but on a roll at least. Feel a little scratchy bump on my eye, I guess it is a stye starting, just what I need this week! Need to go to work, we post our midterm grades today, tomorrow is a training session, no students. I'm trying to decide if I want training or tkae the chance to lose a day's pay. I could sure use the extra time at home! But need the money! Decisions, decisions.

Hope you all have a good day!

Alana
October 15th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Love those sweet hearted sons. I have one too.
I'm home today with a major headache that has been going on all weekend. I did manage to do some sewing and got quite a bit done actually. Trying to get ahead of the Christmas gift thingie if I can.
I will be knitting mostly now for the week. My schedule is knit during the week and quilt on the weekend. Good thing I live alone because housework is not something that gets done very often.....! I may just pass the duster and vacuum up today and do some laundry. But mostly it will be couch time and tea.
Still raining here too and has been since Friday. We had rain warnings all weekend and got a few inches too! The temp is supposed to really drop this afternoon so let's hope the rain stops before that and doesn't end up as snow!
I think winter is on his way though as the geese are flocking over head like crazy. Had to be about twenty of them this morning flying over and honking. Guess it's gonna be what it's gonna be......sigh.

dwil23
October 15th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Good Morning!
My sister and I made the two hour drive to Gainesville to visit my three week old grandson, son and DIL yesterday. He is so precious. We will go home this evening. Then, I have just 4 days until I return to work after being off for nine weeks. Of course I had big plans to get so much done, and, while I did accomplish quite a bit, not near what I had hoped. I will be happy if I can get my "three Little Girls" quilts done this week. The fence rail top is done, need to add several strips to the JRR - it's not as long as the others, and then layout and assemble the "three dudes" one. I so need a design wall, and a place to put it.

We are supposed to have a cold front come through - temperatures will only get to 79 on Wednesday. I can't tell you all who are looking out your windows at fall colors how jealous I am of you. Fall is my favorite time of year, so those of you that are fortunate enough to live where you are blessed with a beautiful show of color, enjoy every minute of it for me.

MayinJerset
October 15th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Blondie, Your "I like coffee" ad started a very old song in buzzing in my head, can't remember all the words and it will be buzzing all day long until I do. Went, "I like coffee nice and hot, something something in the pot, Coffee, my sweetie and me something, something, something."

Speaking of sons, I have 3 and DS#2 and DIL MJ were over for lunch yesterday. Soup I made was delicious as was the fresh baked bread they brought with them. I made a double batch of the soup so they could take a quart of it home with them. Can't believe my middle son is 54. Where did all the years ago? DIL MJ is finished with her Christmas shopping and I'm only browsing some of the many catalogs I've received. Catalogs are lovely but I hardly ever order from them because the prices are really high so I look them over and then they go into the recycling bin. I only order from 2 - "Meat" (filet mignon steaks) from Kansas City Steak Co. for 3 sons and their families and a small live lighted and from Jackson Perkins a small decorated tree for a very good friend who lives alone and doesn't decorate for Christmas. She lives on the 11th floor of an apartment building and puts the tree on her wide livingroom window sill and enjoys it for the season. Afterwards she give the decorations to one friend and the tree to another who plants it in her backyard.

Lovely Fall weather again, DH and I need to drive up north Jersey or over to PA to enjoy the turning of the trees Maybe stop at a farm market/orchard like the one Granny Judy mentioned and have some lunch and buy lots of apples and apple cider. Our local orchard makes the most delicious cider from Red Delicious apples - it is a Thanksgiving dinner must for us. Years ago you could watch the apples being pressed for the cider and bring fill your own jugs from the cider faucet which the kids loved. Nowadays the cider is packaged in half gallon containers and their apple cider donuts have shrunk too, guess that's progress. Have a nice day everyone even if you have to go to work. May in Jersey

Monique
October 15th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Good morning friends. Sighs. Another weekend gone. But a great one coming. I am hosting Thanksgiving this weekend. All my children will be here. This a first since Phil got married last year. It is also a welcome home to Roxy. It is a good thing I looked in the freezer the other day. I thought I had a turkey. NOT!! Yesterday, I went shopping and got all the fixings I needed for the weekend.

I will know today if Phil will get tomorrow off to take his daughter to the doctor's. If he doesn't, then I will leave for Trenton today and be back tomorrow sometime. Then hustle and get the house in somewhat order. Don't know why, kids and a dog! And a BIG DOG!! I am sweating bullets over that one. I told Greg this morning that I am very nervous about this dog. I may need valium to get me through the weekend.

So as I await word, I drew the design on the blank squares that I am using for the dresden plate quilt. All the plates are done. I need to get it put together and sandwiched and then the quilting starts. So I may start that today.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

CrazyMtnLady
October 15th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Good Morning everyone. Glad to see so many up and at 'em this morning. I was up at 3:30 with the dog and then had a heck of a time getting back to sleep.

I am hoping get a chance this week to go "Leaf Watching". The colors are really pretty right now. Perfect picture taking time. We live real close to part of the Mark Twain National Forest and are surrounded my trees so we are in the middle of a lot of beauty for sure.
Our friend Joe didn't make it over yesterday so I didn't make bread which was okay with me..gave me time to finish the yellow quilt. Now I need to decide which UFO I wand to work on next. Or start something new.
Today I am going to wash the finished quilt and then tomorrow I can take it to the neighbor.

I don't have a son (tender-hearted or otherwise) but my DH has hair that is just as long if not longer than mine, and mine is down to the bottom of my shoulder blades. It wouldn't be so bad but he has ME brush it for him all the time and is worse than my two daughters were when they were young and I brushed their hair. LOL

Hugs and prayers to all.
and as Blondie says.....SMILE!!!!

Cathy F
October 15th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Morning all!

Well despite it being a grey and cloudy day it's a good one, today is our 46th wedding anniversary! Boy, where did that time go, seems just like yesterday.

Mundane chores to do like food shopping and some cleaning but then I'll spend a little time sewing as I have a Halloween runner I'd like to do. Will make a nice roast and fixings for dinner then off to teach a class tonight.

Hugs to all those who need a few extra today :)

Sandy Navas
October 15th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Well, a BIG happy anniversary to Cathy and Hubs!! All I can say is MANY, MANY MORE!!

Rain is over here - got about an inch Saturday/Sunday. Gorgeous skies today. Of course, I'm headed back to the sewing room to finish one more apron, start the jeans aprons, and maybe get the Halloween bags finished. I had remarked that they weren't lining up - even though I had used the same pattern piece to cut them out. Then DD looked and shook her head. "Mom," (sometimes she calls me that), "Mom, and after you cut the canvas you ADDED another piece for trim at the bottom." Whap me on the head - I should have had a V8. No wonder they didn't match up. And why, when I was looking and shaking my head over them didn't I realize that? I can be such a doo-doo.

Can't think of anything wonderful that is happening around here, so I'm off to have some much needed fun! You-all take care now, you hear?

Blondie
October 15th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I don't have a son (tender-hearted or otherwise) but my DH has hair that is just as long if not longer than mine, and mine is down to the bottom of my shoulder blades. It wouldn't be so bad but he has ME brush it for him all the time and is worse than my two daughters were when they were young and I brushed their hair. LOL

Well Donna, my DH also has long hair and I have to do one long Willie Nelson braid every morning. Whenever I go to trim his hair I keep saying, One day I will have an OOPS moment and then your braid will be a keepsake. However, I do value my life. LOL. When we got married he had the short hair and I had the long hair. Now it is reversed. I don't mind his long hair, though. It suits him.

Martha, glad that you are feeling better! You have really had a rough go;

We are getting the rain and I just took a break from making cookies and stitching on a circle quilt. I've got a chicken getting brined before I throw it in the oven this afternoon. Since I've allowed hubs to cheat so much in the past few weeks, I am getting him back to a strict regimen. So today he will have roast chicken, mashed cauliflower - (cooked and prepared like mashed taters, and it's the only way I can get him to eat cauliflower) and some greens. No more bread, biscuits or cornbread. And oh yes, the cookies are for me.

aliaslaceygreen
October 15th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Good Monday to you all!!

Headed to work at one... spent the morning making appts.....Planning all the ways I can spend my money before I head to Houston, so I know what I have to spend there-- Foot Dr, Eye Dr and upholster the couch appts all set up....

Looks like there will be no money left to shop!! Yikes... but they all need doing....can't imagine walking around the show with the ball of my foot hurting the way it is, the bifocals are needing to be adjusted because my arms can't be made longer, and the couch.

Well, the couch is a story. My aunt and grandfather chose it in 1950 and had it made for my grandmother, who couldn't have cared less about her furnishings. I still have the receipt.. $500 in 1950!!! It is a gorgeous, low backed quasi tuxedo couch...super long...they don't make them like this any more. I've actually passed up homes that couldn't accommodate the piece. So, in the early 70's it was redone, but now it needs to be restrung and built up from the inside out. But the bones... ah...not a creak in it..... But currently it's unusable as we had a cat problem a year or so ago and the cushions have been tossed...

I so look forward to having it pretty again!

shannonsaulter
October 15th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Good morning Blondie,
I am off today and on the hunt for a sewing table..my nephew is moving out so come Nov 1St I will turn his room into a first slash craft room...very excited...I also hope the mail man will have my order from MSQC...hope everyone has a great day

cyndiofthevortex
October 15th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Martha, so glad you're feeling better! Cathy, a BIG happy anniversary to you! That's a lot of years!

I had a good time at the quilt show this weekend and won a door prize! My non-quilting friend who went to the show with us also won a door prize and let me have her prize! I got a beautiful quilt calendar and 4 pinks-and-greens fat quarters. Zowie!

Today is a haul manure day for us. Yes, and we are so happy to do it! For those of you who have gardens this is black gold to us. It's all decomposed to beautiful, rich soil full of worms. All the boys will help and we'll cover our garden with it. It's from our very nice neighbor next door who has a little farm.

Besides that I hope to get started quilting one of the sunflower quilts I made this summer. My adopted daughter's biological sister just got married and her favorite flower is the sunflower.

lilmouse
October 15th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Morning all, Happy Anniversary, Martha - glad to see you are up and moving...Steve wishes he had long hair...shucks..he wishes he had hair on his head period....we don't cut his hair...we shave his head ..there is so little hair left! Off to work I go....everyone have a great day and I will check in late tonight....Smile!

toggpine
October 15th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Morning All!
Busy weekend.
Saturday was a 4 hour trip half way across the state for a 4 hr meeting, and a 4 hour drive home. I would have liked to make a few stops at some of the produce stands. Since I met up with someone 2 hours in for the commute over the mountains, I didn't have much say in any stops.
Sunday Hubby dropped Em & I off at my mom's (Nana) while he went down to the gun show. I helped Nana clean the house and pack up her summer decorations. Emily dug out my wooden train and after a bit of help from me she had a big track set up under the dining table. By 1:30 the rest of the family had shown up and we had a nice lunch for my step-dad's b-day later this week.
By the time we left, Nana's house was no longer summer themed. Fall had arrived.
My mom is one of those people who aggressively decorate for every season/holiday. Or, at least she did before her health started to decline. I'm not talking about changing the table cloth and the color of the votive candles either. She has multiple plastic tote boxes of items for ever season and most holidays. Cody & I had schlepped 9 or 10 totes of spring & summer stuff out to the garage and brought in 6 for October/November. She used to be able to do most all of it herself. Now she has trouble walking & lifting, so I have been recruited as the "seasonal" help. I don't mind cleaning, but at some point I have to say she has too much stuff. Maybe not if they had a McMansion, but when there isn't a space to set a coffee cup on the coffee table or end tables, then there might be a bit of a problem. I guess if it makes her happy, then we'll let her be. I did the heavy lifting and reaching before we went home. That leaves things like table runners & toppers, candles, and the other knick-knacks for her to futz with. I am not looking forward to the Christmas season though. She must have 15 totes of stuff, not including the outdoor Christmas lights. Ugh. when my dear mother finally departs this earth, I hope she isn't too upset that most of the items will be set free to find new homes at an estate sale.
Well, I have procrastinated long enough. I have some other paperwork/computer work that needs doing and I finally must get it done. Ugh. I hate being responsible.
You all have a great day. Prayers for well being for all of my quilty family.
Hugs,Cathy

auntiemern
October 15th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Yes it is still morning. Got a lot done this weekend. Glad you are feeling better Martha. happy Anniversary Cathy. Gonna be pushing the next couple days to see what I can get finished for the fair this week end. If I can, I plan on going to Rhonda's early to help her out, and get a few of her 'projects' finished. Hugs and blessings all around, and prayers for those in need.

pcbatiks
October 15th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Hi everyone, Glad to hear you are feeling a lot better Martha! Have fun with your new machine. Happy Anniversary to Cathy! I finished a project for my SS on Saturday. Slept late today because I woke up about 100 times during the night.......well maybe not 100! Buying groceries today and back home.......need to sew on other projects. May you each have great day........like a charm pack in your mailbox!

janluna
October 15th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen. Martha, I'm glad you are feeling better. Cathy, Happy Anniversary! Joe and I just celebrated our 47th in September. It is amazing how time flies!! Denis hope you are doing ok.
Shannon, your couch sounds fantastic! They don't do the craftsmanship that they used to do with furniture. I have my Grandmother's bedroom set and it is so well built. When we can afford it, we want to get it dipped and refinished. We know a guy who is a magician when it comes to finishing furniture.
Prayers going up for everyone in need and everyone else too! lol I'm going to go finish up some blocks, and sew some more on my SIL's quilt.
Cathy R. I wish I had your energy! I don't know how you do all that you do. It must be youth and the excersize you get from all the stuff you do. Don't get old Honey, it's not all that it is cracked up to be! Speaking of cracking up, I went to move to do the dishes last night and my bones cracked so loud Joe said, "Honey are you ok, that sounded like it hurt." It did. I would have thought that would loosen me up, but no!!!
My friends are going to a quilt show Friday. I really wanted to go but, I think I will have to pass. I just can't stand for long periods of time. They usually don't have chairs at these things. Not with over 100 quilts to look at! LOL Oh well. Love, Hugs, and Prayers to all, Jan L.

bkthomas
October 15th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Blondie, love today's sign - sent Denis a PM - haven't heard back yet...Congrats on your win Cyndi

Happy Monday and Happy Quilting!!!