PDA

View Full Version : Books or Authors You Want to Read?

pcbatiks
October 14th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I've been thinking about books I want to read soon and started wondering what are a few books or authors you hope to read in the near future. What are a couple of your favorite books that you have read?
I have read the 1st two books by Jennifer Chiaverni (quilting novels) and hope to read more of them. I like reading different types of books but don't care for creepy or depressing books. The Mitford series is really good if you like a nice relaxing story. A few of my favorite books are When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin, Sarah's Key, The Help & The Forgotten Garden. I'm always on the look out for interesting books when I help with book sorting for the Book Sale fundraiser that I help with. So what do you hope to read soon?

Lonna
October 14th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I just finished ready To Kill a Mockingbird. I read it back during my 16th summer and that was oh so many years ago. It was a book my Grandmother encouraged all her grandchildern to read. I just saw a list of books on yahoo the other day and they all looked good to me. So I think the next book I read will be My Abandonment by Peter Rock. May down load it on my nook this week.

HandsOffItsMine
October 14th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Forensic Thrillers are the type that I like, don't like anything mushy, no love stories, heavy breathers. Yuck!

Until May when I left for Calif for Penelope's arrival I would read 3-4 books a week. Then I started needlework at night again, down to 1 book a week. Now I think it's going to have to wait until after the holidays. :) Don and the kids know my favorite authors, hit up Costco for the hardbacks for Xmas. Easy to make me happy. lol

Musical_Starling
October 14th, 2012, 11:18 PM
My favourite author, hands down, is Patricia Cornwell. I've read every book in her Kay Scarpetta series thus far (aside from Red Mist and The Bone Bed, but they're up next!) and absolutely love them! They're a little scary I guess, but I just can't get enough! I start reading one and I'm done in a couple of days lol I just can't put it down, especially once I get to the halfway point! I NEED to know what happens next! lol I also like biographies, especially about wrestlers. I have the books on Andre the Giant, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Batista, and Mick Foley. Not sure of where to go next though, so this thread may give me some great ideas to start something new :D Oh, and I'm getting the Hunger Games series for Christmas, I haven't seen the movie yet, and I've read every Harry Potter novel and even bought the $300 Wizards Collection that came out last month lol LOVE Harry Potter! But can't stand Twilight (go figure lol)

bkthomas
October 14th, 2012, 11:23 PM
I recently read "The Help" so good - Sandy N. sent it to me. I say we pass it around on the forum to anyone who hasn't read it yet - I'll sign it and put "Originally from Sandy N." and everyone who reads it can sign it and pass it on - Who's Next?!!!

Lonna
October 14th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Read The Help it was a good book.

auntiemern
October 15th, 2012, 01:06 AM
To Kill a Mockingbird is my all time favorite book. I have probably read it over 10 times, the first being required reading in HS, which also was an eternity ago.
I just finished ready To Kill a Mockingbird. I read it back during my 16th summer and that was oh so many years ago. It was a book my Grandmother encouraged all her grandchildern to read. I just saw a list of books on yahoo the other day and they all looked good to me. So I think the next book I read will be My Abandonment by Peter Rock. May down load it on my nook this week.

Jess1377
October 15th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Oh I LOVED The Help! I also read the Twilight series and thought they were alright. I finished reading recently The Hunger Games trilogy and well... dont want to spoil it but the 1st and 2nd are my favorites in the series.I would love love love to hear your opinion on the series when you are done reading them Dee, are you going to see the movie after you read it? Or at all? I saw it before it and felt it did not ruin the reading experience at all if you decide to watch it before hand. To Kill a Mockingbird is a top notch book, up there in my favorite reads list for sure! I am really into historical fiction though. I have read Ken Follets Fall of Giants awhile back and now excited that the next book Winter of the World is now out. I have enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha to The Kite Runner (both great books!) One book I would love to recommend is Too Close to the Falls by Catherine Gildiner. Its a memoir but I read a comment about how it came to become her memoir in that she was talking to a friend about some stories about when she was a kid, and she thought her life was normal, everything fine, but with the crazy look on her friends face telling her its not normal, well that summed it up. It was a really funny read too!! Geesh, I could ramble on and on about books though thats for sure.

Musical_Starling
October 15th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Oh I LOVED The Help! I also read the Twilight series and thought they were alright. I finished reading recently The Hunger Games trilogy and well... dont want to spoil it but the 1st and 2nd are my favorites in the series.I would love love love to hear your opinion on the series when you are done reading them Dee, are you going to see the movie after you read it? Or at all? I saw it before it and felt it did not ruin the reading experience at all if you decide to watch it before hand. To Kill a Mockingbird is a top notch book, up there in my favorite reads list for sure! I am really into historical fiction though. I have read Ken Follets Fall of Giants awhile back and now excited that the next book Winter of the World is now out. I have enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha to The Kite Runner (both great books!) One book I would love to recommend is Too Close to the Falls by Catherine Gildiner. Its a memoir but I read a comment about how it came to become her memoir in that she was talking to a friend about some stories about when she was a kid, and she thought her life was normal, everything fine, but with the crazy look on her friends face telling her its not normal, well that summed it up. It was a really funny read too!! Geesh, I could ramble on and on about books though thats for sure.

I will definitely let you know what I think when I'm done, probably sometime in early January (I have to play with my new sewing machine I'm getting before I'll have time to read! lol) I'll watch the movie after I think, that's usually what I do. I remember I bought the Time Traveller's Wife movie and book as a combo pack at Blockbuster when it came out and read the book first, then watched the movie. The book ruined the movie! lol The movie was such a bummer after reading the book because I thought it was just so awesome and detailed and then the movie was like a cliff notes version and left so much out!

And i've never read "To Kill A Mockingbird"... :0

dizzyLiz
October 15th, 2012, 01:45 AM
I haven't read The Help, would love to read it. Love Patricia Cromwell, also like Jonathon Kellerman. Really like Anne Rivers Siddons, Kristen Hannah, Nora Roberts. I like suspenseful and what I call womens fiction.......some romance, life stories, but not too into the crotch grabber type, I think I read them all long ago LOL. Gosh I haven;t read in so long I have probably missed the last few of my fav authors.

Shirley
October 15th, 2012, 01:49 AM
My all time favorite book is Three Wishes by Barbara Delinsky. I have read about 30 of her books and liked all of them but Three Wishes was my favorite. I liked it so much I bought my daughters each a copy of their own. I love all kinds of books and hope to get some good suggestions on here. I've read The Help and several others that have been mentioned. Also, The Shack is a great book.

Donna F
October 15th, 2012, 02:11 AM
I would love to read Too Close to the Falls. Sounds interesting.

toggpine
October 15th, 2012, 02:45 AM
I'm pretty much an omnivore when it comes to books. Mystery, sci-fi, fantasy, some suspense and classics. I can tolerate some of the romance authors, but it has to have a substantial plot and a few heated scenes are ok, but not just swinging from one gratuitous heavy-breathing, bodice-ripping scene to another.
I don't do much actual reading with a book anymore. I have opted for the audio-books. I understand they are slower than being able to read at your own pace, but 'extra' time is limited around here, and if I put in a book on CD I can listen & sew, drive, mow, milk, clean the house or barn, etc. I have only had a few that I couldn't get through because of the narrator. One I thought was the narrator was actually the way the author wrote. I still can't read or listen to much of her stuff.
I have to watch the language too. If I have the CD in the car, first-grader ears don't need to be exposed to that either. I get most of the audio-books at the library. If my computer wasn't such a dinosaur, I could probably download the audio file and listen to them that way.
I have recently discovered Cleo Coyle (hubby & wife pen name) of the Coffeehouse Mystery series and they have another series called the Haunted Bookshop that I may look into. Anne &/or Todd McCaffery, J.D. Robb, Patricia Cornwell, Joanne Fluke, Tad Williams, Nora Roberts, Christopher Paolini, Diane Mott Davidson, Micheal Crichton, Douglass Adams and anything else that seems interesting while cruising the stacks.
Books I have read multiple times over the years: Tuff Voyaging by George R.R. Martin (sci-fi). Seven Daughters and Seven Sons by Barbara Cohen & Bahija Lovejoy (Read it in school and loved that the girl was so clever. My sister tracked it down for me about 10 years ago and I have read several more times since.) Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I am sure there are more, but this is probably plenty.

pcbatiks
October 15th, 2012, 03:12 AM
I forgot to mention To Kill a Mockingbird..........love this book and the movie. In fact I saw the movie first about 25 to 30 years ago. Love everything about it.........the setting, the musical score, the story......all of it! For other Mockingbird fans here is an interesting link. I saw a article about this years ago and would like to go see it some day. American Masters on PBS did had a documentary about the book also. It was so good!

http://www.tokillamockingbird.com/play/index.cfm

lilmouse
October 15th, 2012, 03:17 AM
I am definitely a JDRobb fan and also would like to read more books that are themed around quilting....don't have the extra cash right now to indulge....but down the road I definitely would......don't like any of the Twilight type books at all...too far out for me! Not much on Sci Fi either although I did watch the movie "Avatar" and loved it...really surprised me....Steve is way into movies where I would much rather sew! Or read a good book....my imagination works very well for me when I read...the movie doesn't allow for much imagination anymore!

Jean Sewing Machine
October 15th, 2012, 04:51 AM
I couldn't put The Hunger Games down until I finished it. trashed a whole Saturday with it! Read book two working on book three. Definitely read the book before seeing the movie! My class is reading the non- fiction book "The Immortal Cells of Henrietta Lacks". It is a very interesting book, and an easy read. Heard a reviewer say the other day that eveyone should read Moby Dick, that's on my list of " retirement" books, to be read after I retire in December.

bkthomas
October 15th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I haven't read The Help, would love to read it. Love Patricia Cromwell, also like Jonathon Kellerman. Really like Anne Rivers Siddons, Kristen Hannah, Nora Roberts. I like suspenseful and what I call womens fiction.......some romance, life stories, but not too into the crotch grabber type, I think I read them all long ago LOL. Gosh I haven;t read in so long I have probably missed the last few of my fav authors.

Liz, PM me your address and I will send it to you in Nov.

Bubby
October 15th, 2012, 07:38 AM
My favorite authors are Toni Morrison, Amy Tan, Barbara Kingsolver and Isabella Allende. I agree with Donna that To Kill A Mockingbird is an awesome read. I was given a Kindle when I retired and I read constantly. We talk about Kindle like it's a member of our family!

Patrice
October 15th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I got so much reading done this summer. Love reading on my ipad. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, Snowbound by Blake Crouch (my favorite of all these), age of miracles- karen thompson walker (didn't care for it). Sweethaven summer- courtney walsh A nice story, On the island-tracie garvis graves (very good. a women gets stranded on an island with a 15 year old boy), The Passage-justin Cronnin..this was also my favorite and can't wait to read the next one.

GinnyKNC
October 15th, 2012, 11:20 AM
A few years ago I had a series of major surgeries done and decided it was a great time to get back into reading since I couldn't do much of anything else. I fell upon an author named Jodi Picoult and I've been hooked. I can't stop reading her books and since she only puts a book out every year or so, I now find myself waiting for that next book to come out.

http://www.jodipicoult.com/

Bethy
October 15th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I retired in May and can't say I've done much reading since then, but I do love it. My favs are Nora Roberts, Jennifer Crusie, Sue Grafton, Quintin Jardine and Linda Howard. My sister told me to read the 50 shades series and I did. She also recommended the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series, which were very good. Sue Grafton is coming close to the end of the alphabet so I can't wait to see how she ends the whole series. Don't have a Kindle or anything. I have a tendency to flip back pages to check names and other details so I think I will stick with the hard copies.

bakermom
October 15th, 2012, 12:31 PM
To Kill a Mockingbird is my all-time favorite. One of my top movies too.
I read Kathy Reichs(Temperance Brennen), Tess Gerritsen(Rizzoli and Isles), most of Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetti books. Also Linda Costillo. I've read a lot of James Pattersons books too. My sister and I trade books back and for all the time. a couple of the girls read Kathy Reichs and Linda Costillo too. we are always passing books back and forth.
One of my co-workers and I trade Jodi Piccoult books, too.

mommadeb
October 15th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I like more historical stories and hope to read the John Jakes series "The Kent Family Chronicles" soon. I also like books about paranormal-real stories and WWII books like "Band of Brothers", etc.

Currently I am reading Anna Karenina and I recently read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I have a book with about 7 of her novels in it. Anna Karenina is some pretty heavy reading with all the Russian names and places, but it's fun to try and say them.

I tried the Anne Rice books about vampires and such, but those were too creepy for me. No love story books either-blecky.

shannonsaulter
October 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I read alot now that I have a Nook..Have read all the 50 Shades of grey books, all the twiligh books...H ave read all the books by kathleen Morgan..mostly set in Scotland...I love Patrick Talors and his Irish Country Dr series am excited the newest of his books comes out tomorrow!!! YAY!!! I just read a book calledThe Women of Primrose Creek by Linda Lael Miller its about 2 sets of cousins back in the old west..Love histrorical romance,Robin Lee Hatcher has a good series called Coming to America...and via facebook I found out about an awesome writed named Cynthia Owens who's books are set in Ireland....what can I say I average about 5-6 300+ page books a month..

janluna
October 15th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I love books!!! Any book! My favorite author is Charles Dickens. I love Jane Austin's books especially "Pride & Prejudice". I have read all of Nora Roberts books, and her "J.D. Robb books" that series is set in the future. And she is a cop. Love cop books, true crime, all the old classics, Harry Potter was wonderful,The twilight series was ok. Love biographies. Have read Lee Iaccoa, Margaret Thatcher, anything on Lincoln, Jefferson, Madison, Washington, Adams, father and son. Alexander Hamilton, Seward, Hillary and Bill Clinton's books. I like some romance but I like historical romance best, especially if it's true. I've also read Tolstoy. Just everything! Love the histories of the people who founded our country. Also love books that have to do with Australia, England, Ireland, Scotland, Canada. Love Louis LaMour, Kristan Higgins, Shayne Parkinson, Joseph Lallo,Cheryl Dyson. So many more, about so many topics. I read about 3-4 books a week. I also love the books about the quilters that Jennifer Chiaverini wrote. All right I'll quit now or I'll be here forever! Probably bored you all to death. Sorry! LOL Hugs, Jan L.

craftyrad
October 15th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Loved The Help and To Kill a Mockingbird (one of the few books where I thought the movie was just as good). Other ones that my book group has read and I loved were The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency (first of a wonderful series) by Alexander McCall-Smith, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Loved The Help and To Kill a Mockingbird (one of the few books where I thought the movie was just as good). Other ones that my book group has read and I loved were The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency (first of a wonderful series) by Alexander McCall-Smith, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See.
I forgot to mention about the No. One Ladies Detective Series, I think there are at least 9 now.

CrazyMtnLady
October 15th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I love to read! My favorite author is Dean Koontz I have read the first 3 Odd Thomas books but need the rest. I also love about any kind of book as long as it can hold my interest. I am not to much into the mushy romance novels though.
I have not read "The Help" or seen the movie and would like to do both. At the moment I have a HUGE box full of Louis L'Amour westerns that was given to us and I am reading through the box.

quiltsRfun
October 15th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I finished reading recently The Hunger Games trilogy and well... don't want to spoil it but the 1st and 2nd are my favorites in the series

I liked the first in the series the best, liked the third one the least. So I guess the same as you. :)

My all-time favorite books are Pride and Prejudice and The Scarlet Pimpernel. I've read them both several times.

pcbatiks
October 15th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Hi Ruth, There's another one I forgot to mention........Snow flower and the Secret Fan..........a great book!

BellasQuilts
October 15th, 2012, 10:32 PM
For me - Taylor Caldwell. Most are out of print, but she is such a wonderful author.

Ginny B
October 15th, 2012, 11:33 PM
I love Pride and Prejudice and all the other Jane Austen novels. My all time favorite book is Gone With the Wind. Lately I have been reading Marie Bostwick and I have read Jennifer Chiaverini's books. Her new one is coming out this month and can't wait to read it. I also like the Mitford series by Jan Karon and Debbie Macomber. I've got a Nora Roberts book on my kindle waiting to be read too.

I read The Help and loved it.

Ginny B

auntiemern
October 16th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Ok got sidetracked by To Kill a Mockingbird. I also love Jeffrey Deaver, the Lincoln Rhymes series, anything by Patricia Cornwell, or James Patterson. True crime are my faves. Have read about almost all of the serial killers, and others. Anne Rule is at the top of my list too. Ok going to bed, and dream about having time to read, lol.

Jess1377
October 16th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hi Ruth, There's another one I forgot to mention........Snow flower and the Secret Fan..........a great book!
PC Batiks, Oh I am so glad you you mentioned that book! I adored Snow Flower and the Secret Fan that I noticed it was a movie now and came across it on amazon. I recommend reading the book again ;) I really loved it! If you liked it you should read Shanghai Girls and then Dreams of Joy by Lisa See too! I couldnt put them down and I even read them while making dinner. Very good books!!

I forgot another favorite, it is the book What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson. This one touched my heart real close for personal reasons but you may also recall the movie with Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr. Its one of my favorite movies too!

meemeecyn
October 16th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I belong to a book club, which has forced me to read more. I love it! Several of you mentioned some great books and/or authors. Some of my faves (so far anyway.....) Cutting For Stone (Abraham Verghese), Olive Kitteridge (Elizabeth Strout), Snow Flower and The Secret Fan, Peony In Love, Shanghai Girls (all by Lisa See), The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd....good movie, too), The Help (Kathryn Stockett), Girl with the Pearl Earring (can't remember!), Modoc, The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever LIved (Ralph Helfer), Glass Castle (Jeannette Walls), The Guernsey Literacy Society, several by Jodi Picoult (she lives in NH so a lot of her stories take place in NH towns). Just a few of ones I can think of right now. Thank you for sharing yours. I've written down several titles you suggest and will check them out!

MayinJerset
October 16th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Great topic as I belong to a quilt/book small group within my guild and I'm always looking for books to suggest when it's my turn. We've read many of the books suggested by meemeecyn in the post above mine and think I'm going to familiarize myself with Jodi Picoult's books at she sounds like an intresting author.

We read books in so many topics and even if we don't like the book of the month we always find lots in it to talk about. 3 of our 9 members are retired teachers so their suggestions are usually non fiction or classics like Alice in Wonderland, another gal is from Ireland and usually chooses books about Ireland and England so we're all over the place with our readings. Once a year we choose to make a quilt inspired by one of the books, sometimes we make our own individual quilt and other times we each make a block, we raffle them off amongst ourselves and the winner makes a quilt with them. Last year we each did a block from Alice in Wonderland, I did the Mad Hatter who somehow looked a lot like Johnny Depp.The finished quilt was displayed at our bi-annual quilt show and sold for lots of $'s which we used to treat ourselves to a movie and lunch. May in Jersey

Rhonda D. Matzker
October 17th, 2012, 02:56 AM
I read James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, and Stephen Berry.

The Help is a good book. Marilyn (my sis)-loves the Jeffery Deaver Lincoln Rhymes series (The Bone Collector). I have read To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, Hannibal Rising, the Hunger Games series, and the Twilight series. Getting ready to read the 50 Shades of Gray series too.

institches64
October 17th, 2012, 06:33 AM
If you want to laugh out loud while reading, I suggest Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Everytime I read one, I always crack up laughing. I also loved the books by Kate Jacobs (the Knitting series). Then I switch and totally enjoy things like James Patterson, etc. Just love to read when I can!