PDA

View Full Version : Update on Douwe....(you're right Sandy, it's been too long)

Klasien
October 14th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Dear friends,

I wish I could give an real update....there is not much news to tell, we are all waiting for results to come in......
He has his good days and his bad days.
He is still very tierd, sleeps a lot (under his quilt!!!!!!) and for the rest he is waiting..........a couple of weeks and he will have his first bone marrow biopsy.
His hair is growing back a little, he still needs to gain a lot of weight, there are days he can't handle it emotionaly, it is the waiting at home after the fighting in the hospital that gets him thinking and wondering what has happend over the past months.....it is a lot to take!
His girls are back to school, his wife is back to work, and he finaly has time to think it all over, he just wrote me an email last week, saying to let you guys know he loves the quilt and he is grateful every day, he feels the love when he takes a nap on the couch with his quilt. His youngest daughter wants him to use the back as front, that is the cool side she said.....haha........
I can see why this waiting is hard on him, while in the hospital he was fighting for his life, being to sick at times to think straight, now at home all falls in place and get back to normal, exept he is not back to normal.........

He gets pain in legs when he takes a walk (cramps), and the skin on the inside of his hands is still very delicate......touching his jeans almost hurts he said, so there is no new skin on his hands after the chemo.......we hope this just takes a little longer and has nothing to do with the transplant.........

I am going on and on and it seems I make no sence at all......but I want you to know that he is also thinking of all of you!!

Thanks for your continuous love, prayers and good thoughts, I know for a fact that having him around today is also because of the love and prayers from around the world, I am so sorry it has been so long since I updated you all!!!

Love to all!!!

EsGrandma
October 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Klasien, Thanks so much for the update - will continue praying for all of you - Linda

auntiemern
October 14th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the update. Had been wondering what was going on with him. Still in my prayers.

CrazyMtnLady
October 14th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the update. Please let Douwe know that he is in my prayers every night and every morning.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 14th, 2012, 01:58 PM
A bone marrow transplant is no walk in the park, we have Douwe and Mr. Daisy to think about who are both going through the rigors of that treatment. My prayers are with you all, including Wayne and Pam's mom and my choir member who is being treated for leukemia. He's doing well, had two treatments so far, losing a little hair, but comes to church every Sunday.

Thanks for the update, let him know that he has a world-wide prayer chain that is lifting him up on his bad days, and praising God on his good days!

lilmouse
October 14th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Klaisen, thanks so much for the update...will continue to lift him up in prayer....and you as well as the rest of the family....while it is hard on him it is also hard on the rest of the family to watch -- because there isn't much you can do and that helpless feeling is the real pitts sending my love and hugs to all of you!

janluna
October 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Klasien, My husband and I are still praying for Douwe and his family and of course you. I know how hard it is to come back from something that tried to rob one of life. He will be emotional, antsy, and impatient. This is all normal. You can't understand why you are not feeling more energy. Some days you get a burst of energy and think, Wow, I could do anything today. Trouble is, if you start something, you suddenly get so tired that you feel like you'll pass out. It's the strangest feeling. Also, he may suffer a major depression. All of these things are just the body trying to reclaim itself. Also, because of the transplant, his body is confused. It has to accept new cells as the new normal. It will come, it just takes time and rest. Tell him to take it slow, and do things he can accomplish. Take a shower and then rest. Read a book, then rest. Play a game of cards with the kids, then rest. Watch a tv show. Build a model of a car, or a plane. They have those in toy stores. He can work on it a little at a time. THEN REST! He has a long road ahead. Tell him his body needs to heal, and that takes time. He might even(if he has a car) wear a mask, and have his wife take him for a ride. My husband, God Bless him, knew I was getting cabin fever. I had been down for so long. He put me in the car, and drove me to the lake, and parked so I could just watch people, and boats and nature. I fed the ducks and seagulls. We were only there for 1/2 hour but it helped so much! You wouldn't believe how wonderful the sun felt on my skin. The change of scenery did me so much good. In Douwe's case, he might have to wear a mask to keep him safe, and maybe not be in the sun because his skin is so tender, but the change of scenery, fresh air, no walls, people watching, anything, will be so helpful. The mask I'm referring to, is the kind they wear in hospital. He doesn't need any germs at this stage. In the meantime, we keep praying for his healing, and his emotions, and his nerves. He will do better, it just takes time. Love, Prayers, and Hugs, Jan L.

pcbatiks
October 14th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Klasien, Thanks for the update on Douwe........I've been wondering how he was feeling. I'm sure the long road of treatment is tiresome and discouraging sometimes. Remind him that we are all still praying. Hoping his good days will outnumber the bad days. How was your parents vacation.........hope they had a restful time.

EnumclawGramma
October 14th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Jan your response to this is spot on! I couldn't add a thing to what you said. I have seen my son go through this time and again. All Douwe has been through has taken a toll and it's going to take TIME. Klasien, when you get discouraged come back and read the post from Jan again. It'll help YOU. I would even send it to Douwe for the same reason! Praying continually for Douwe and your entire family! ***HUGS***

bkthomas
October 14th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Klasien, You make perfect sense! Hugs and Love, Kathy

BellasQuilts
October 14th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the update Klazien. I agree with Jan. An outing always does good for the spirit. And rest. Keeping him in my prayers.

Klasien
October 14th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Jan your response to this is spot on! I couldn't add a thing to what you said. I have seen my son go through this time and again. All Douwe has been through has taken a toll and it's going to take TIME. Klasien, when you get discouraged come back and read the post from Jan again. It'll help YOU. I would even send it to Douwe for the same reason! Praying continually for Douwe and your entire family! ***HUGS***

That is exactly what I did Libby, I have sent Douwe this post, i just talked to him on the phone and he is doing okay, bone marrow biopsy is plannend last week of November, so he has to wait a couple of weeks.......

Thanks all for you sweet words and prayers!!!

Bubby
October 14th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Klasien...Thank you for the update. Remind Douwe that we are all continuing to pray for him. The hardest part is the waiting and thinking and worrying. Cancer is a mental/emotional roller coaster...up one day and down the next. It's very, very difficult. Try to encourage him the best you can. Hugs to both of you...Barb

Winniesfriend
October 14th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Thank you for the update, I have been wondering how he was getting on, continued hugs and prayers.

Sandy Navas
October 14th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the update. There are so many here that I keep in my daily prayers. Oh, if we could only find a cure!