PDA

View Full Version : Hello SATURDAY morning!

CrazyMtnLady
October 13th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Good morning everyone. And a special 29791 to Brook. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend planned.
Here in my corner of the Ozarks it is going to be a very 29792stormy and 29793windy day.

I plan on staying snug inside and sew ...sew... sew. I want to get the child's quilt done. 6 more squares to SID and then FMQ the border and put on the binding. Fun Fun Fun.

I got up way to early this morning (thanks to TarButt). Would be nice just to crawl back in bed but didn't want to wake the sleeping giant.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Hugs and prayers to all. We sure seem to have a lot of our group who are in need of some healing prayers.

Bubby
October 13th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Good Morning Donna,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BROOK!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!

Donna, What a cute post! I wish I could stay indoors and sew today - instead I have to continue painting the inside of the kitchen cabinets in my old house. I'm about half done and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had to take a couple days off because I got way too tired. I'm energized again and ready to go. I plan to sew all day tomorrow on my SSS's gift.

Let's remember Pam's Mom and the family with extra prayer today. This is such a hard thing for all of them. Martha, I'm praying for your complete recovery and I think our Lisa needs a boost.

I made some homemade liquid laundry soap yesterday and after two loads, so far so good. Today I will make the fabric softener.

Hugs all around for everyone who needs one, Barb

CrazyMtnLady
October 13th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Barb... how do you make the laundry soap and fabric softener. I am always running out and it is SOOOOOOOOOO expensive. If I could make my own that would be great. Same with dish soap.

Monique
October 13th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Good morning. I love your post Donna. Full of life, it is. I finished off that baby quilt yesterday and then I did nothing. I was kind of lost for a bit. I do have other projects that need to get done, but I just can't get started.

I bought my Maizyn a toddler bed on our local garage sale site. I think I will go get it later today. Not sure what this day has in store. I can tell you that hubby still HAS THE MAN COLD. Jeez! I think life, as he knows it, is coming to an end. GET OVER IT, MAN! Says if he is not better by Monday, then I can take him to the clinic. I told him to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday or maybe Friday. LOL! BUT I LOVE HIM JUST THE SAME!!

Have a wonderful Saturday everyone. See you all demain.

RFREE
October 13th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Good Saturday morning Donna and all my quilting buddies!! Barb I would also like to know how you make your laundry soap and fabric softener.
Hopefully we will have a pretty decent day today. Me and DD will be outside painting our new chicken coop.I had the carpentry class at school build me one and we got it home Wednesday.We will be painting barn red trimmed in white. Good luck with your painting Barb.
I hope yall all have a great weekend. Hugs and prayers to all.
Rhonda

DCM
October 13th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I hope to finish a quilted play mat for a friend's 2 year old grandson today and then begin her newborn grandson's baby quilt. My husband, son, and I have all been battling the same sinus/respiratory bug so I think we'll all be laying low this weekend so we're hopefully better by Monday. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

quilter.martha
October 13th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Morning all. Brrrrr, it is cold this morning! About 28*. Thank God for warm quilts, right?

I am feeling better each day. My activity level is slowly growing, but I do tire very quickly and have to move slow or the coughing fits come on. And it feels so good to be eating again (lost 6 pounds in the past week)!

Yesterday I spent just a short while exploring my new machine. Got "moved" into it, watched an instructional DVD and managed to thread it and sew a seam! Then I pooped out and had to quit. But today I hope to go up and do a little more.

I pray you all have a good weekend.

cyndiofthevortex
October 13th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Martha, I'm so glad to hear you're on the mend. I'll miss seeing you at the Cocheco Quilt Show today.

And that's what I'm up to! The local guild has its annual show this weekend and DH and I are going both days. It's always a great show - lots of local talent. Maybe I'll even win a door prize?

aliaslaceygreen
October 13th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Good morning!! Got up late! Yay! Days off should be that way! Got a lovely sunny one in front of us, and plans with the DD.... probably no quilting but, ... oh well... ( went on to the Houston show site and cripes, if anyone wants to start sending me money ....the number of vendors is starting to SCARE me!!!)

nurrsey
October 13th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Rainy in southern Wisconsin too, supposed to storm but none yet. A migraine woke me in the night, but a little better now...the Earl Grey is helping. I must finish a baby quilt today for the shower tomorrow, borders are going on now. Hope everyone has a great day not matter what they do and Donna...stay dry!!!

Sandy Navas
October 13th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Love Donna's signature with the flowers. Ah, wet here, too! We keep hoping the sky is going to open up again but it's just overcast. The weather map looks as if we'll get more dampness before the day ends.

Yesterday - ahh, yesterday. Sis and I had a great time. We got a whole lot of giggles, laughs, fun-times in. We enjoyed ourselves at the KC Expo Sewing exhibition. I went with two main objectives (other than spending time with Sis) and that was to find some purple fabrics that I thought the kids would like (the don't like my flowery stuff) and to buy some more serger thread. Found the serger thread right off the bat and decided I'd wait until we were ready to go before buying it. (Went back and after discussions, Sis and I decided I didn't need to spend the money). Found a wonderful pair of left-handed applique scissors (*Al tried to sharpen mine and ruined them - he felt so bad). These can be sent to the manufacturer for sharpening whenever needed and there is a lifetime (what does that mean??) guarantee on them. And they were about $6 less than the ones I had and appear to be much better quality. We'll see. Also picked up four pieces of fabric, three purple batik-y ones, and a lime green to complete my apron projects. Sis and I each found a bundle of silk strips from India and came away with ideas for a very creative scarf. We'll probably do a few exchanges just so we can mix some of the colors. She picked some turquoise-y blue and green and mine are yellow-orange-y. We're going to add crazy stitching, overlays, voile with thread pieces inserted, ribbon enhancement, beading, etc. I have to tell you that it is contrary to anything we normally do as we're both pretty up front and not too 'wild'. Believe that if you will. You weren't able to catch our conversations in the car. Laughed so much. We do have fun.

After lunch we traveled over to Kearney to visit a quilt shop we've often wondered about. She picked up a piece of fabric to make something for her step-daughter and then we both oohed and ahhed over a bunch of fat quarters. Finally decided what we'd do with them and split the cost. So watch out. Plans are for some very, very unique house quilts. Probably won't be until after the first of the new year - but I am truly excited. No more hints.

Back to sewing aprons today. Have SEVEN more to do. Have two cut out, fabric for two more, and plan to make three from the legs off Daddy's jeans.

Hugs to all - prayers where needed. The list keeps growing.

MayinJerset
October 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Brrr...here also as there was a frost during the night. I thought I'd check in and then take a shower before hitting the sewing room but I'm too cold to undress right now but I better before I stink up the place.

Unless we get some unexpected company the crumb blocks I've been working on all week will be history today as I can't stand making them any longer. Crumb quilt is meant to be a spare quilt for guest room when company visits, I thought it would look 'interesting' with all the different fabrics but the blocks are ugly! Will have to search my stash for a good sashing fabric to bring out the best in them. Wish me luck.

Perfect weather for the soup and sandwhich lunch planned for tomorrow when DS#2 and wife MJ will be visiting.

Everyone have a good weekend and prayers for all our friends and their families who are hurting today. May in Jersey

BellasQuilts
October 13th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Good Saturday to all. Today hope to finish some instructions for work and then sew. We are going to redo our backyard. A friend who does this is coming over to give us ideas. Hugs to all and prayers going up for those in need.

sewbizzy
October 13th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Happy Birthday to Brook!
Prayers, hugs and blessings to all that need them...
I have been busy trying to replenish my craft fair items...my sales were very good at the first 2 shows that I did...now, I have 2 more to come...my DIL and I are getting ready for our home show the beginning of November...it will be our 22nd year of having it...it's always so much fun!! Better get busy.......

Jean Sewing Machine
October 13th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Morning all. Brrrrr, it is cold this morning! About 28*. Thank God for warm quilts, right?

I am feeling better each day. My activity level is slowly growing, but I do tire very quickly and have to move slow or the coughing fits come on. And it feels so good to be eating again (lost 6 pounds in the past week)!

Yesterday I spent just a short while exploring my new machine. Got "moved" into it, watched an instructional DVD and managed to thread it and sew a seam! Then I pooped out and had to quit. But today I hope to go up and do a little more.

I pray you all have a good weekend. Glad you are feeling better Martha. I hope you enjoy your new machine. DO NOT DO the dumb thing I did, and lose the manual (obviously never having had read it). I went over 2 years of ownership before I figured out how to put the Accufeed foot on. Now, there really wasn't any excuse for that, because I had owned a 6600 with an Accufeed foot for over 5 years, obviously never used that either. Woah! What a difference it makes in your quilting and piecing! I am always amazed at how accurate the seams turn out when I use it. I use the memory button hole feature, which I prefer to the automatic button hole maker. When I was making my corsets, I needed to make at least 30 identical buttonholes on each garment, they all went so fast because they were all memorized and went so fast! On my first one that I made, I had to make 68 buttonholes, it took me about 15 minutes to do them. Love that feature.

I don't use the decorative stitches much, although there are some darling stitches, especially for quilting. I guess I use about 10% of the features of that machine, but love everything I use on it. It does like to be cleaned out often, that is the only rough patch I've ever hit using it, when the bobbin case filled with lint, and the bobbin wouldn't rotated smoothly. I absolutely love the thread cutter, needle up-down feature, and, and, and....well, I love everything about it. And I know you will too!

lilmouse
October 13th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Jean, don't feel bad, according to my sewing machine guy I am the exception...I still have the manual to my Janome that I purchased back in 2004, he said it is usually lost within the first month of purchase...I still use mine so I make sure I know where it is at all times...it is a great reference guide! And mine helps me trouble shoot when I am having problems....I will also take mine apart as far as I dare to clean and oil.....which a lot of people don't do! Love Jenny's tutorial on cleaning your machine and the free tutorial on Craftsy Sewing Machine 911 or something like that! It all helps....knowledge is power!

pcbatiks
October 13th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Good morning!! Got up late! Yay! Days off should be that way! Got a lovely sunny one in front of us, and plans with the DD.... probably no quilting but, ... oh well... ( went on to the Houston show site and cripes, if anyone wants to start sending me money ....the number of vendors is starting to SCARE me!!!)

Hey Trish, We have a little tablet full of $100,000 bills that we bought at the Treasury gift shop in D.C. years ago...............I can send you a few..........would that help! :D

shannonsaulter
October 13th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Good Morning to all and Happy Birthday Brook...Hope everyuone has an enjoyable weekend..as for me its only my Thursday so back to work it is...I am hoping some fabrinc I ordered comes in today so I can try the Irish Quilt...wish me luck...

bkthomas
October 13th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Happy Birthday to Brook!
Prayers, hugs and blessings to all that need them...
I have been busy trying to replenish my craft fair items...my sales were very good at the first 2 shows that I did...now, I have 2 more to come...my DIL and I are getting ready for our home show the beginning of November...it will be our 22nd year of having it...it's always so much fun!! Better get busy.......

.....no, better get bizzy! haha

MayinJerset
October 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I've been good about saving the manuels for my sewing machines, but, and it's a big but, I've only read the part about how to thread each machine and haven't familiarized myself with all the features of each machine.

aliaslaceygreen
October 13th, 2012, 07:55 PM
HA!!!!!
Thanks, yes, I'd even buy you a trinket with the change!!

Hey Trish, We have a little tablet full of $100,000 bills that we bought at the Treasury gift shop in D.C. years ago...............I can send you a few..........would that help! :D

Sandy Navas
October 13th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Brrr...here also as there was a frost during the night. I thought I'd check in and then take a shower before hitting the sewing room but I'm too cold to undress right now but I better before I stink up the place.

Unless we get some unexpected company the crumb blocks I've been working on all week will be history today as I can't stand making them any longer. Crumb quilt is meant to be a spare quilt for guest room when company visits, I thought it would look 'interesting' with all the different fabrics but the blocks are ugly! Will have to search my stash for a good sashing fabric to bring out the best in them. Wish me luck.

Perfect weather for the soup and sandwhich lunch planned for tomorrow when DS#2 and wife MJ will be visiting.

Everyone have a good weekend and prayers for all our friends and their families who are hurting today. May in Jersey

May, we would LOVE to give second, third, fourth . . . nine hundred ninety nine opinions on your crumb blocks.

HandsOffItsMine
October 13th, 2012, 08:31 PM
May, we would LOVE to give second, third, fourth . . . nine hundred ninety nine opinions on your crumb blocks.

OMG, that will by like Cyndi's sunflower wall quilt...Are we really ready for another round like that?!? LOL

lilmouse
October 13th, 2012, 10:57 PM
At least you still have them to peruse if you so desire...I haven't used all the features in either of my machines manual but they are there if I need them!

sewbizzy
October 13th, 2012, 11:59 PM
.....no, better get bizzy! haha

You are right Kathy...you made me laugh and I really needed it!!! Thanks